• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it will open up a Qualcomm vs non-Qualcomm gap within Android next year though.
ah yes, just what android needed, even more fragmentation :p

Seriously though, what's the selling point of the HTC One now? That it looks purdy? I'd say the screen but lets face it, a casual person walking into a store will be attracted to the saturation of a galaxy phone. I want them to do well though. Just won't be supporting the cause!

It was in a Qualcomm press release a few weeks back.

Seriously though, what's the selling point of the HTC One now? That it looks purdy? I'd say the screen but lets face it, a casual person walking into a store will be attracted to the saturation of a galaxy phone. I want them to do well though. Just won't be supporting the cause!

Literally nothing for the One. Sony can still push the waterproof angle with the Z, also the fact that it is available to buy today while the GS4 and One are not. I don't see where HTC go from here with a bigger phone and a smaller screen.

kehs

Banned
The idea that Samsung wants to get rid of android is so ridiculous. Why would they give up an amazing free software stack they don't have to worry about developing?

Its clear that they want to build a system on top of it for consumption and not to replace it.

Them going deeper into the skinning for the settings just means they're entrenching themselves even further into reliance.

It was in a Qualcomm press release a few weeks back.

Literally nothing for the One. Sony can still push the waterproof angle with the Z, also the fact that it is available to buy today while the GS4 and One are not. I don't see where HTC go from here with a bigger phone and a smaller screen.
that AND samsung will flood them with marketing soon that they can't just afford to compete with. Ah well. Their fault they got into this place. No sympathy.

Sony has a few angles, waterproof with the Z, compact superphone with the ZL, etc...

BEATS AUDIO! BEST SPEAKERS ON A CELLPHONE! YEAAA BOYEEE!!!

The idea that Samsung wants to get rid of android is so ridiculous. Why would they give up an amazing free software stack they don't have to worry about developing?

Its clear that they want to build a system on top of it for consumption and not to replace it.

Them going deeper into the skinning for the settings just means they're entrenching themselves even further into reliance.

exactly, they get Android for free and they can stack on top and siphon some money away from Google Play with Samsung Hub. why would they leave that situation?

kinggroin

Banned

My ridiculous idea pretty much stems (maybe illogically) from the precedent set with current free solutions. They have quite a bit of work done for them in the way of GAPPS and whatever falls under that umbrella, so them going out of their way to create new solutions for problems that may not even exist feels like baby steps towards full independence.

I'd like to think Samsung is bigger, more capable than Amazon, so maybe not leaving android all together, but rather creating their own portal for the APKs that do exist and being successful at it. Would people really care WHERE they get their apps from?

Spec wise the phone is a beast, but Samsung continue to disappoint in hardware design and feature bloat. For pretty much the richest Android manufacturer in the world I honestly thought they'd eventually try to outdo Apple when it comes to industrial design. I really hope HTC and Sony do well and take some market share of Samsung this year.

i don't think you get it yet. Samsung isn't HTC or Sony. Samsung makes good phones, not bad phones that are good looking. even the Z took an L.

So you forgot about Dre

Anyway, I'm not sure which way to lean. I like the S4, but I think I want a red ZL. It's unique, and I like Sony's aesthetic.

But honestly, I like the Optimus G Pro too...hrm

if those are the choices, G Pro.

Battery comparisons are out of touch without considering SoC energy consumption.

only issue is the screen really. everyone is using SD600 so they win on that model and Exynos 5410 is supposed to be more power efficient so they would win

10 bucks says the home button still lags until you turn off S-Voice.

well, it has to wait for the double tap so unless they change the motion to something else...

whitehawk

Banned
Is there any way to get a PS3 or Wii controller to connect to my Nexus 4 without rooting it? It seems 4.2 broke Dualshock 3 support, and the only workaround is rooting it + a 3rd party app. I'd rather not go that route.

Yeah, I don't really understand that comment either except in a console warrior sort of way. The HTC One and Sony ZL are perfectly fine phones with nice physical designs when I last checked.

I actually want to see the screen...to see whether or not Samsung has put a bit more effort into the calibration this time round. I don't really care about the resolution so it has to be remarkably better than the Galaxy S3 for me to ditch the S3 I have right now. A shame because OLED screens can look great but Samsung has a tendency to put the least amount of care into them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Solid phone from Sammy, but nothing crazy.

Honestly considering KLP hasn't hit yet most of these new crop of phones are just shipping with souped up skins based on the Android we all are have. Last year was more exciting because all of the new phones were hitting with ICS which not only was a big jump for Android, but unless you had a Galaxy Nexus you'd never experienced ICS before.

That being said I'll be really interested to see how this years batch of phones morph over time when updates especially after KLP releases. I'm also interested to see what phones end up becoming the cheap baseline phones after the next batch release. I know a lot of places still try and sell the GSII on the cheap low. That would be a massive step up if the GSIII replaces the GSII and the GSIV takes the place of the GSIII. Ditto if say the One X becomes a baseline phone as well.

PS: I noticed both the Chrome Beta and the Opera Beta updated this evening. Haven't had the time to try out either as I bailed as soon as I saw the GS4 looked like the leaks to go hang with my friends.

Is this, like, the new breed of "sheep"?

you haven't heard the term 'samsheep' yet?

Yeah, I don't really understand that comment either except in a console warrior sort of way. The HTC One and Sony ZL are perfectly fine phones with nice physical designs when I last checked.

I actually want to see the screen...to see whether or not Samsung has put a bit more effort into the calibration this time round. I don't really care about the resolution so it has to be remarkably better than the Galaxy S3 for me to ditch the S3 I have right now. A shame because OLED screens can look great but Samsung has a tendency to put the least amount of care into them.

a bit more effort? their Note 2 calibration was great!

Pctx

Banned
My ridiculous idea pretty much stems (maybe illogically) from the precedent set with current free solutions. They have quite a bit of work done for them in the way of GAPPS and whatever falls under that umbrella, so them going out of their way to create new solutions for problems that may not even exist feels like baby steps towards full independence.

I'd like to think Samsung is bigger, more capable than Amazon, so maybe not leaving android all together, but rather creating their own portal for the APKs that do exist and being successful at it. Would people really care WHERE they get their apps from?
You have now entered..... The Andrex zone.......

Vanillalite

BTW I've heard different info on this.

Is the GS4 screen Pentile or not? I'm inclined to usually listen to the Verge, and they say it's Pentile.

Vanillalite

So the latest Chrome Beta seems to run alright on my system. Doesn't seem to have the shitty scrolling issue the current stable version has on my device.

Still think the Opera Beta is faster though.

Cipherr

The people that insists they can flip a switch and just jump off of Android at no personal loss are insane IMO. We had a damn near uprising when iPhones merely lost Google Map and a Youtube app worldwide. Trying to branch out without customers being able to bring their GMaps, Youtube, Gmail apps and all the apps they bought on their Previous galaxy phones, all the movies books and whatnot they bought on their previous Galaxy Tablets over to a new Tizen OS thats starting with a barren Appstore and ecosystem?

It would be a catastrophe of hilarious proportions and it would nuke the product line while everyone else moved over to whatever the next best Android phone was/is at that time.

Even still. It's a tiny ass battery. Even when you're browsing the web or anything it lasts pretty long for it.

The "race to idle" is very significant here. The phone is doing nothing 99% of the time when web browsing. Remember that Apple controls everything that happens in the OS with an iron fist, when the iP5 is browsing the web, it is literally doing NOTHING while the user is reading the page, then it does something for the split second the user scrolls, then it's doing nothing again. Meanwhile an Android device is doing all kinds of shit in the background even when the user is just looking at a web page because the Android device actually allows apps to run in the background.

The "race to idle" is very significant here. The phone is doing nothing 99% of the time when web browsing. Remember that Apple controls everything that happens in the OS with an iron fist, when the iP5 is browsing the web, it is literally doing NOTHING while the user is reading the page, then it does something for the split second the user scrolls, then it's doing nothing again. Meanwhile an Android device is doing all kinds of shit in the background even when the user is just looking at a web page because the Android device actually allows apps to run in the background.
Can you explain the difference to the user between when Android does it and when iOS does it? I don't own an iPhone, but from my wife's iPad, I know iOS can still get push notifications even when you're doing nothing. So what's the advantage of handling the idling like Android does?

Is the only difference being able to run constantly on apps like Lookout or something? If that's it, I'd gladly make the trade for better battery life (I also can't stand anything permanently in my notification bar).

Groof

BTW I've heard different info on this.

Is the GS4 screen Pentile or not? I'm inclined to usually listen to the Verge, and they say it's Pentile.

So how noticeable will the pentile arrangement be on a screen as pixel dense as this? I'd say it's quite noticable on an S3, but this seems so high res that it shouldn't be a problem. I hope. Think. Maybe?

Avtomat

So how noticeable will the pentile arrangement be on a screen as pixel dense as this? I'd say it's quite noticable on an S3, but this seems so high res that it shouldn't be a problem. I hope. Think. Maybe?

It's pentile there was a preview posted by some korean site - Engadget carried it and it was quite extensive with a close up macro of the screen and confirmation of pentile. About 6 hours before the announcement.

My $0.02 - Pentile has never really bothred me to be honest.

They say this every time about pentile, and every time it's shit.

Wait for the Note 3, that will have a proper arrangement. Or wait for them to run out of OLED screens and then get an LCD version!

kinggroin

Banned
The people that insists they can flip a switch and just jump off of Android at no personal loss are insane IMO. We had a damn near uprising when iPhones merely lost Google Map and a Youtube app worldwide. Trying to branch out without customers being able to bring their GMaps, Youtube, Gmail apps and all the apps they bought on their Previous galaxy phones, all the movies books and whatnot they bought on their previous Galaxy Tablets over to a new Tizen OS thats starting with a barren Appstore and ecosystem?

It would be a catastrophe of hilarious proportions and it would nuke the product line while everyone else moved over to whatever the next best Android phone was/is at that time.

Oh for fucks sake Cipherr, you hate it yourself when your arguments are misconstrued. At least quote the only guy saying this batshit theory (me) and recognize I'm not saying anything about simply flipping a switch.

I'm still probably wrong, but let's at least get the idea across in tact. Danke.

Groof

They say this every time about pentile, and every time it's shit.

Wait for the Note 3, that will have a proper arrangement. Or wait for them to run out of OLED screens and then get an LCD version!
Yeah, whenever I handle my girlfriend's S3 it just gets super noticeable, especially after looking at an N4 screen all day. Just figured that because it's so dense it might not be as noticeable, gonna have to wait 'til I can get hands on in some way.
But I'd say more than that Samsung's oversaturation is what gets me the most. So I'm all for a Note 3 with an LCD!

kinggroin

Banned
I've had no issue noticing the pentile arrangement on my Galaxy Nexus, more so on a S3. In either case, it has bothered me not one little bit.

it really just comes down to what you prefer, and what compromises you're willing to make on your phone's display.

Vanillalite

So I told myself I was going to wait till 2013 to get a tablet. Well 2013 is here and note I am really in the mood to get one.

Just wish time would speed up so we can get to this years crop as I'm not gonna buy last year's model at this point (unless it was a super deal). The wait seems sooo long for new tablets though.

So someone just brought a GS4 in from a mate he has at Samsung UK. Had a bit of play around. It feels nice to hold, the plastic still feels cheap, but it is so light because of that, just like GS3, I barely noticed the size because it is so light and slim. We compared it to an Xperia Z someone had, it's smaller, the screen has a blue tint to it and with fine text Pentile annoyed me and a few people, but others didn't notice. Otherwise the colours and contrast on the new screen are literally amazing, I mean absolutely stunning, yes they are a bit overblown and yes there is some black crush, but the effect is amazing. Samsung have built one hell of a screen.

Onto the software, well, it's very stuttery, everything takes a few seconds while it is thinking about what to do. Never seen that on the GS3, it could be because of the octacore processor figuring out which core is more suited to the task, but that shouldn't take so long so I figure Samsung just haven't optimised 4.2.2 properly yet. For that reason I think Samsung definitely showed the GS4 much earlier than they would have liked, it is releasing, what two weeks earlier than GS3, but they showed it 6 weeks in advance? That makes no sense, I think Samsung are pretty worried about Xperia Z in Asia and Europe, it is eating into GS4 sales quite heavily at this point. It's the only way to explain just how unpolished the software is, it stops to think so much, and I'm 100% sure this won't be the case for the final release and it is just an optimisation issue, it makes me think they let it out too early. Earlier than they would have liked, that's for sure.

His contact at Samsung mentioned stock for the first month is going to be quite tight so pre-order if you want a guaranteed delivery in April/May.

Groof

e compared it to an Xperia Z someone had, it's smaller, the screen has a blue tint to it and with fine text Pentile annoyed me and a few people, but others didn't notice. Otherwise the colours and contrast on the new screen are literally amazing, I mean absolutely stunning, yes they are a bit overblown and yes there is some black crush, but the effect is amazing. Samsung have built one hell of a screen.

Something that always annoyed me with the S3, and to some extent the Note 2, is that the screen feels like it has had a sharpen filter pass over it. Is that what you mean with the black crush?

Something that always annoyed me with the S3, and to some extent the Note 2, is that the screen feels like it has had a sharpen filter pass over it. Is that what you mean with the black crush?

No, the screen is too dark so dark stuff all looks black and has no detail.

Tons of reasons to get the One. After seeing the GS4 announcement I'm even more excited to get it.

Best screen, with highest DPI, nicest design by a long shot, smooth UI, amazing sounding front facing speakers (seriously, I was blown away), and it does virtually everything the S4 does. At least the stuff I care about.

One of the fastest on the market and most importantly, better than my iPhone 4S lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom