• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrzej Sapkowski sold the rights to Metropolis's Witcher for $4000

Vintage

He's somehow getting less and less sympathy from me now that I know this deal would have happened in 1998. There would have been so many examples of good storytelling in games at that point.

Name at least 1 that was well known in Poland by ordinary people and was commercially successful.

It was a logical thing to do for him at that time.

peakish

While I can understand he's salty over this, I bet the sales of his books increased by hundreds if not thousands of percent thanks to the games' success.
Maybe he took a straight check then too. "These books will never sell, gimme that cash." "These suckers think that foreigners want to read this? Their mistake, I'll take a check." "A 'Netflix' wants to make a TV series? Hahaha, just pay me up front."

I kid, I kid, I can sympathize with making a mistake but CDPR definitely doesn't owe him anything. The books are good, too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hah, dude's so delusional about his book sales. Should have accepted royalties for sure.

If anyone's curious, here's how the canceled Witcher game developed by Metropolis looked like, from scans I got off NextGen mag. Keep in mind that this was in 1997.
TaxJilB.jpg
lol, can you imagine sex scenes with these graphics

KDR_11k

Well, he keeps underestimating the games and keeps thinking that the lump sums he's demanding will be more than the royalties he could have with a lesser lump sum plus cuts deal...

I could be wrong but for the Tolkien family anything that isn't 1:1 with the books they dislike it.
Its not really that, its that if it doesn't accurately capture what LOTR is to them then they don't like it. I mean, the films are good movies but I don't like them in the same way that i like the books, because they are different entities in more than just medium and a few minor changes.

Melchiah

Take note this was 1997 in Poland. 15000 PLN was more than a yearly salary at that time. For a medium like video games, which were mostly pirated back in those days, this was a pretty good amount of money and I can imagine it really made sense for Sapkowski to sell it for a one time fee, instead of getting royalties.

And this amount is for a license to use "The Witcher" in a game which never saw the light of day. We don't know how much CDPR paid for the license to produce The Witcher later on. Seeing how salty Sapkowski is, I doubt it was a lot more.

Then how would you explain the huge popularity of the books in Germany and Central/Eastern Europe way before the games?

The books are legimately awesome, the writing style is very distinctive and unique, the way he plays with language is something else. Of course you wouldn't know this if you read only English translation.

I personally think he got burned hard by the TV show. Back then he made a wrong business decision, but you would know it only in hindsight. Honestly, being offered only one of the two instead of sum + small royalties should be the standard. Not everyone likes to gamble.

Both should be the standard for the creator, but unfortunately they always aren't. It's understandable he might be bitter about it, but apparently he got over a year's worth of salary of it at the time, which is far more than some do. For example, uninformed and young musicians are often screwed with publishing and licensing deals.

EDIT:
In 98, games weren't what they are today, multi million business. Don't forget that.

Not to mention, that games made from licensed IPs weren't usually that good back then. Remember how Arkham Asylum was seen as one of the few good ones, and that was in 2009. Things are very different now though, with The Walking Dead and whatnot.

If anyone's curious, here's how the canceled Witcher game developed by Metropolis looked like, from scans I got off NextGen mag. Keep in mind that this was in 1997.

The breasts and nipples showing through the dress gave me a chuckle.

Elixist

i feel bad for the dude a lil bit, it was a gamble and he lost. but now hes got a netflix deal, his books are doin decent so cryin onto money.gif

Ephidel

Sapkowski said:
The belief, widely spread by CDPR, that the games made me popular outside of Poland is completely false. I made the games popular. All of my translations in the West — including the English one — were published before the first game.
Because this is both factually incorrect and generally delusional.
" I made the games popular. All of my translations in the West — including the English one — were published before the first game" Well, that's just a blatant lie.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is total horseshit. The books weren't even widely available outside of Poland/Eastern Europe before the games came out. Now I see them whenever I go to Waterstones and look in thfe sci-fi/fantasy section.

It's a semantics argument. Strictly speaking it's true (with regards to English, anyway) but you have to strip it of all context to see it that way.

The Last Wish was first published in English in June 2007. The game came out in Europe in October 2007. So yes, the book came out first.

However the books were obviously licensed off the back of interest in the game, which was in production and having all sorts of press long before the books were translated. They just got the first book out first. They also only managed to get one other book out (Blood of Elves in 2008) before dropping it completely. I thought they dropped it because sales tanked, but this blog says it was a rights issue, though I can't find any more about that.
Anyway, it's only after they re-released the first book in 2012 that they actually managed to get further books out - Time of Contempt hit in 2013, and they licensed further books in 2015 to complete the series, and licensed Season of Storms earlier this month. I'm sure there's nothing to be read into the fact that all of those announcements reference the games.

The Last Wish is also a NYT bestseller... as of June 2015, and I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact Witcher 3 had just come out either.

Tyaren

Oh, no wonder he is so bitter about it... I still would try to contain myself in public since it is not a good look.
I'm also sure the games boosted the sales of his book. I for example bought two of them because of the games, so not all is bad. :)

Shitting on creators and praising scummy business deals...

Read everything that is happening in this thread, including the OP, and then come back again.

I love Sapkowski a lot and his books are amazing (and I will defend the original creators most of the time), but he is not in the right now and he needs to stop being salty and start being more amicable with CDP (something that if you know him from all his interviews, is probably impossible becuase he is an inmense hardheaded).

Flzzlsharkop

Neo Member
There's nothing scummy about this, it's completely fair. If the writer gets paid up front and also gets royalties if the games are successful then the game studio will be the only party bearing a risk. He was trying to have his cake and eat it too.

There's nothing scummy about this, it's completely fair. If the writer gets paid up front and also gets royalties if the games are successful then the game studio will be the only party bearing a risk. He was trying to have his cake and eat it too.

And he never asked for a pay upfront and royalties the first meeting. Something tells me that if he had done that (like asking for a small sum of royalties,a nd a smaller up front) CDP would have probably given that.

xealo

I don't know why he would say that. The Last Wish wasn't translated into English officially until the year the first Witcher game came out. The final book in the main series wasn't even released in English until March of this year. The books were hardly known my anyone in the U.S. prior to the games. I can't imagine that the games haven't helped the sales of the books.
Coping mechanism. He's likely telling himself that to help deal with the massive missfire not taking royalties turned out to be.

Flzzlsharkop

Neo Member
And he never asked for a pay upfront and royalties the first meeting. Something tells me that if he had done that (like asking for a small sum of royalties,a nd a smaller up front) CDP would have probably given that.

Yep, i assume he could also have negotiated it this way but it's not what he chose to do. He knew what he was getting into.

Usobuko

Banned
Name at least 1 that was well known in Poland by ordinary people and was commercially successful.

Exactly.

Do some folks in this thread really think the market then is similar to the current polarizing AAA homogenous white-centric one we have atm?

The rise of PC gaming where The Witcher has roots in and get good words of mouth by by enthusiastic PC gamers?

Svejk

Maybe he learned his lesson with the Netflix series coming out...
Lesson being; you should fully trust in your own work.

MadMod

The fact that he refused royalties for a bigger pay off leaves no sympathy from me. But I do understand why hes frustrated at the huge amount of money hes missing out on. At least its led to the making of the Netflix series, which I believe he would have added royalties to, unless hes a complete idiot. Let's just say the butterfly effect led to the series, which does benefit him, especially if its successful. So he better be less salty about it from now on.

Does anyone know if the rights to CDPR are forever?

Harlequin

Judging by his comments, it wasn't his own work that he had no trust in, it was (and apparently is) the potential of video games.

He actually takes very seriously his works when he understands the media or what he is working in (for example the german, russian and spanish translation of his books).
Every other endevour he has taked that didnt understand has fucked him over, like the failed polish tv series, the thought of videogames being a lost cause and found them stupid, and seems he was also left out of the english translation of the books.
Being a harheaded guy doesnt help matters either.

He doesnt think his work is bad, nothing farther from the truth.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please translate this? The machine translation is bogus.

"Now they quote me on GAF. When we at Polygamia were the first in the world to report that Xbox One was going to get delayed in many countries they didn't believe"

Alienous

Yeah, it sucks.

It seems like giving him a bigger slice of the pie would be worthwhile, if only so that you can tell the story of the game's development without a "they took advantage of the author's ignorance of the profitability of the medium" addendum. As far as I'm aware it could be an entirely wholesome story of success if not for that.

Dec

having read some of the books, the witcher's success is 99.9% related to the game's developer and 0.1% related to the quality of the source material

You didn't read all the books. The games story is an abomination compared to them. Literally nothing but fan fiction.

Flipyap

Judging by his comments, it wasn't his own work that he had no trust in, it was (and apparently is) the potential of video games.
The potential of Polish video games in the '90s, no less. It's hard to blame him for expecting the games to make pennies, if anything at all after the original attempt fell through.

Datschge

Why be pissed at them though? He sold it for pennies. That's on him.
And doubly so as he studied economics and worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company before starting to write. Though with that background he also has twice the reason to be salty and grumpy, he did an obvious mistake (thrice) and can't get over himself to admit it.

hollomat

Banned
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/netflix-the-witcher-announce-1.4121942

Based on this news about the upcoming Netflix series, it doesn't seem like he feels his book sales have improved as a result of the game's success.

Personally, I'd never heard of him before the first game, but I enjoyed it enough that I've bought a few of the books, though to be equally fair, I didn't think they were all that great themselves. Mayhap they read better in Polish.

He doesn't feel that way cause he's bitter about the game. But they definitely have. And there's no way he'd be getting this Netflix deal if the game didn't exist.

He really likes to complain about this a lot, but it makes sense since the first time it happened it worked in his favor since the game didn't come out

Johndoey

Banned
Yeah, it sucks.

It seems like giving him a bigger slice of the pie would be worthwhile, if only so that you can tell the story of the game's development without a "they took advantage of the author's ignorance of the profitability of the medium" addendum. As far as I'm aware it could be an entirely wholesome story of success if not for that.

He's an adult that apparently studied economics; he's not some rube off the streets they took for a ride. He made a miscalculation and payed for it.

Cleve

For the original deal maybe, for the new deal with cdpr? There's no reason any sane person would have turned down the royalties, particularly someone with Sapkowski's finance background. He did it to be a curmudgeon that didn't like video games. He's admitted as much. He's a former economist, not a rube. There's no way the games haven't impacted his book sales, and absolutely 0 chance he'd have gotten the netflix deal without them. He's just too proud to accept that he made a really poor (but informed) decision.

He's an adult that apparently studied economics; he's not some rube off the streets they took for a ride. He made a miscalculation and payed for it.

Oh, hah, didn't see your post. But you're right. In the CDPR case he rejected the contract offered, and went for a substantially worse one.

Patryn

The Witcher wasn't going to be a game just for "the market" though. It was specifically a PC RPG. Ocarina of Time was probably the biggest game of 1998 and The Legend of Zelda just got a new sequel this year. Baldur's Gate was the biggest PC RPG of 1998 and oh would you look at that, it hasn't had a sequel in over 15 years. How about that.

It's also worth noting that the Witcher game rights weren't the first time Andrzej Sapkowski had to choose between royalties and lump sum. The first time was the Witcher tv show rights and Sapkowski chose royalties and got burned. Why should he realistically have expected better from a niche video game genre than a tried and tested tv show format?

It's very easy to paint Sapkowski as some ranting wild-eyed luddite madman, but if any of you think he should have chosen different in 1998 based on video game sales charts from 2017 then you're frankly no better than your perception of Sapkowski.

That's less about PC RPGs and more about Atari acquiring the D&D license and then sitting on it.

Budi

Now's the time to mention that James Earl Jones took a small cash advance (a few thousand dollars, if I recall) for voicing Darth Vader in Star Wars instead of a percentage of ticket sales. Eeesh.

Ouch. I think Alec Guinnes made a good deal. Besides the money, he wasn't really happy with himself later on for being a part of it because of what the franchise turned into.

Harlequin

The potential of Polish video games in the '90s, no less. It's hard to blame him for expecting the games to make pennies, if anything at all after the original attempt fell through.

Going by some of the posts in this thread he's just generally dismissive of video games as a medium, it seems.

You didn't read all the books. The games story is an abomination compared to them. Literally nothing but fan fiction.

Overreaction meets overreaction.
Sapkowski writting is better, but he should be happy that CDPR has treated his baby really well and its faithfull in its majority.
And how can it be an abomination story if its basically a retelling of the books from a sequel perspective? Yeah its fanfiction (becuase the author didnt made it), but not an abomination by any means.

Yeah, it sucks.

The joke is on you, he was a former economist and he is an really intelligent guy, the problem is he is too hardheaded and proud.

Trup1aya

Isn't this shitty on Cd Projekt's side?. If they really respect him and his work why wouldn't they re-negotiate the contract?. I wouldn't like knowing that I make money off of something the creator now regrets and despises.

Sounds like he didn't respect his own work.

They offered him royalties and he chose a lump some of 4K instead? Sounds like a shallow cash grab and an assumption that any games would crash and burn. Why whore out your IP for chump change to a group you feel won't do it any justice.

Tunahead

That's less about PC RPGs and more about Atari acquiring the D&D license and then sitting on it.

That's telling in itself, though. People don't just sit on what they consider to be hot properties. There are titles based on those licenses. There are no D&D games being made because D&D doesn't mean anything to anyone other than a rapidly dwindling collective of grognards.

Top Bottom