• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrzej Sapkowski sold the rights to Metropolis's Witcher for $4000

Floody

Great business by CDPR, I now understand why the writer isn't too fond of the games now, I'd probably be super salty too. The Witcher 3 alone would have probably made him millions.

The Wart

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/netflix-the-witcher-announce-1.4121942

Based on this news about the upcoming Netflix series, it doesn't seem like he feels his book sales have improved as a result of the game's success.

Personally, I'd never heard of him before the first game, but I enjoyed it enough that I've bought a few of the books, though to be equally fair, I didn't think they were all that great themselves. Mayhap they read better in Polish.

Are you referring to this?

Sapkowski said:
The belief, widely spread by CDPR, that the games made me popular outside of Poland is completely false. I made the games popular. All of my translations in the West — including the English one — were published before the first game.

Because this is both factually incorrect and generally delusional.

Based on this news about the upcoming Netflix series, it doesn't seem like he feels his book sales have improved as a result of the game's success.
" I made the games popular. All of my translations in the West — including the English one — were published before the first game" Well, that's just a blatant lie.

Tagyhag

Yeah, I know. He made that mistake and regrets it. It just feels shitty to make money off of something which the creator regrets.

But he sold the rights...And he didn't believe in his own creation enough to get the royalties.

Could they have given him pity money? Sure. But they also have hundreds of other employees to feed.

I wouldn't feel too bad for Sapkowski. My guess is the games have driven the sales of the books to levels they would have never reached if the game didn't exist. Especially internationally.
That's why he doesn't hate that the game's are successful. The books must be selling better than before.

Sapkowski said:
The belief, widely spread by CDPR, that the games made me popular outside of Poland is completely false. I made the games popular. All of my translations in the West — including the English one — were published before the first game.

DqmdtK6.gif

Cerbero

Both positions are correct, really. Sapkowski's books helped the sales of the game in CEE and Germany, but the games helped popularize the books in the west.

Not really. His books were well known in the Central-Eastern Europe and Germany.

Oh, i didn't know this, the first book wasn't translated in my language (italian) until 2010

mavo

Banned
But he sold the rights...And he didn't believe in his own creation enough to get the royalties.

Could they have given him pity money? Sure. But they also have hundreds of other employees to feed.

He didn't believe the game was gonna be successful, asking for a payment upfront with Metropolis was the right decision given how the game never came out, he probably thought the same thing about CD Projekt Red "these suckers never making the game better take something from them before they disappear forever".

Hindsight is 20/20 i know but still, I don't know why people act like the game being successful was a given, Poland doesn't strike me as some entrepreneurship paradise today less alone in the 90s when they just were coming out of Communism.

Personally, I'd never heard of him before the first game, but I enjoyed it enough that I've bought a few of the books, though to be equally fair, I didn't think they were all that great themselves. Mayhap they read better in Polish.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is total horseshit. The books weren't even widely available outside of Poland/Eastern Europe before the games came out. Now I see them whenever I go to Waterstones and look in the sci-fi/fantasy section.

Piggus

LOL. He should probably learn how to negotiate a contract before being salty about being underpaid.

From the interview he gave a while back, it sounded like he fully recognizes that he fucked up. He was salty, but more at his self than at CDPR. Businesses aren't obligated be charitable towards the people they do business with, so they're not the ones at fault here.

Great business by CDPR, I now understand why the writer isn't too fond of the games now, I'd probably be super salty too. The Witcher 3 alone would have probably made him millions.

People always forget he actually made a good amount of money thanks to the Cd Projekt Witcher games, even without royalties from them.

How? Easy: We can imagine the amount of The Witcher novels sold globally has increased 7-8x fold thanks to the video games. And I suppose he gains some from royalties from the novels, which are written by him.

Voras

" I made the games popular. All of my translations in the West — including the English one — were published before the first game" Well, that's just a blatant lie.

I don't know why he would say that. The Last Wish wasn't translated into English officially until the year the first Witcher game came out. The final book in the main series wasn't even released in English until March of this year. The books were hardly known my anyone in the U.S. prior to the games. I can't imagine that the games haven't helped the sales of the books.

NotUS

One would argue that he's cashing in via Netfilx because of the games, maybe he can now think of it as a long term investment over his initial cash grab negotiation.

Budi

Thanks Sapkowski, I owe you big time!

I don't know why he would say that. The Last Wish wasn't translated into English officially until the year the first Witcher game came out. The final book in the main series wasn't even released in English until March of this year. The books were hardly known my anyone in the U.S. prior to the games. I can't imagine that the games haven't helped the sales of the books.

Yeah that didn't happen for Finnish translations either. The first translation was 2010, but to be fair it was awarded with a fantasy literature award just like the second one. So the books were critically acclaimed atleast.

antonz

One would argue that he's cashing in via Netfilx because of the games, maybe he can now think of it as a long term investment over his initial cash grab negotiation.

Exactly. The Games he disliked so much drove interest in his books sky high globally. That global interest is what led Netflix to say hey this series is really popular lets turn it into a series.

There was a recent interview with him in which he was convinced that everyone knows the series because of how popular his books are. (I enjoy the books, but I doubt I'd have heard of them if not for the game.)

The guy clearly had no faith in the popularity of the game, and still doesn't give it any respect. Probably though he was making a good deal at the time.

having read some of the books, the witcher's success is 99.9% related to the game's developer and 0.1% related to the quality of the source material

Reminds of the poor bastard who created Victoria Secrets and sold it for a million. Less than 10 years later, the company ends up being worth more than a billion.

Well at least this guy has his books. Hopefully the sales are enough for him to get by and forget about his mistakes.

Moff

Dude got hustled big time. Then again, he should have known better.

See the above post. They actually offered him royalties, but he refused.

how did he get hustled? no one could have known what a success the games would turn out to be. I don't even know if they were a huge success up until the third game.

they even offered him different deals, one including royalties, as you said yourself. I really don't see how he would have been "hustled big time" or that he had anyone to blame but himself. and honestly not even that probably, at the time it was probably the obvious decision.

Datrio

Take note this was 1997 in Poland. 15000 PLN was more than a yearly salary at that time. For a medium like video games, which were mostly pirated back in those days, this was a pretty good amount of money and I can imagine it really made sense for Sapkowski to sell it for a one time fee, instead of getting royalties.

And this amount is for a license to use "The Witcher" in a game which never saw the light of day. We don't know how much CDPR paid for the license to produce The Witcher later on. Seeing how salty Sapkowski is, I doubt it was a lot more.

Big Nikus

The french name, Sorceleur, has a meaning a bit closer to Hexer than Witcher.
But in english I think "Witcher" is better.

Tagyhag

He didn't believe the game was gonna be successful, asking for a payment upfront with Metropolis was the right decision given how the game never came out, he probably thought the same thing about CD Projekt Red "these suckers never making the game better take something from them before they disappear forever".

Hindsight is 20/20 i know but still, I don't know why people act like the game being successful was a given, Poland doesn't strike me as some entrepreneurship paradise today less alone in the 90s when they just were coming out of Communism.

Sure, but that doesn't mean he's entailed to any more money.

border

At the time when he sold the rights, how much could he have reasonably even demanded for them? It's not like he wrote Harry Potter or anything.

The main problem is that I guess he sold the rights completely in perpetuity. He should have sold them on a per-game basis.

empo

Take note this was 1997 in Poland. 15000 PLN was more than a yearly salary at that time. For a medium like video games, which were mostly pirated back in those days, this was a pretty good amount of money and I can imagine it really made sense for Sapkowski to sell it for a one time fee, instead of getting royalties.

But it's much more fun to laugh and make fun of him for selling it for what seems like peanuts today.

having read some of the books, the witcher's success is 99.9% related to the game's developer and 0.1% related to the quality of the source material

Then how would you explain the huge popularity of the books in Germany and Central/Eastern Europe way before the games?

The books are legimately awesome, the writing style is very distinctive and unique, the way he plays with language is something else. Of course you wouldn't know this if you read only English translation.

I personally think he got burned hard by the TV show. Back then he made a wrong business decision, but you would know it only in hindsight. Honestly, being offered only one of the two instead of sum + small royalties should be the standard. Not everyone likes to gamble.

eizarus

Banned
Yeah, I know. He made that mistake and regrets it. It just feels shitty to make money off of something which the creator regrets.
Why though? He's being a dick about it. He asked for money because he thought the games would tank. He was given money. His books became famous worldwide and have been translated into many languages. He'd be nowhere near as successful without CDPR. The regret is down to his own bad decisions and not being able to take it like a mature adult.

jwhit28

I have only bought the books because of the games and I'm sure many across North America would say the same. When the first game came out the majority of Witcher stories weren't even available in English. It has to be a net gain.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Isn't this shitty on Cd Projekt's side?. If they really respect him and his work why wouldn't they re-negotiate the contract?. I wouldn't like knowing that I make money off of something the creator now regrets and despises.

As mentioned already, he rejected the initial offer and years ago I recall a longform article detailing this negotiation wherein his own legal/financial counsel was pushing HARD for him to accept the original CDPR offer, yet he literally joked and spat on the deal anyway. He was very anti-gaming and had zero faith in its success or desire to be part of it. Something to that effect but its been awhile since I read about it so I may need slight correction.

Be ready for Netlfix's The Hexer guys

Come on Andrzej, I love your work, but stop being salty and work with CDP to make the TV series as best as possible. If not for the fans, do it for all the money you can win for making a better job.

The english translations are fucking crap though.

Both positions are correct, really. Sapkowski's books helped the sales of the game in CEE and Germany, but the games helped popularize the books in the west.

Not really. His books were well known in the Central-Eastern Europe and Germany.

Spain got the also the books (not all though) before the games appeared. Fantasy novels are really popular here. They actually had 2 covers (a really old one only with wolf medallion, and a better one done a little bit later with the characters) and after the games realeased they tried to make a paperback version with the witcher 2 art. It sold like shit while the other vesion sold better so the paperback version dissapeared and the characters one was maintained until the last book release.
I think something similar (books appaearing before the first game) also happened in France.

Marcel

Isn't this shitty on Cd Projekt's side?. If they really respect him and his work why wouldn't they re-negotiate the contract?. I wouldn't like knowing that I make money off of something the creator now regrets and despises.

The people who you do business with aren't your friends. They aren't obligated to give him a good deal. He should have thought about the long term before signing anything.

itshutton

The books are good, but the games are in another level. CD Project have probably created more Witcher lore st this point while driving sales of his books and a Netflix series. He's riding on their coatails not the other way around!

AerialAir

Banned
The people who you do business with aren't your friends. They aren't obligated to give him a good deal. He should have thought about the long term before signing anything.

The truth. If anything it's his fault for dismissing videogames as a serious medium, even with just a bit of research we would have found that videogames often succeed in adapting IPs originating in other mediums.

Top Bottom