• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Well |OT| The First True Metroidunkavania

I'm up to 8 eggs, a couple of them were really satisfying to get. Also, just unlocked the Travel Flute trophy, will need to remember that 🎵

Edit: thought I'd be clever and use mu new tool to teleport away from *something* after taking *something* lol. Soon after I found the proper solution though 👌

Edit 2: these puzzles with the frisbee are so damn cool, really creative stuff.

Edit 3: 13 eggs now 🥚

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Weird. I might have lost some progress from when I played on my steam deck. I beat the game and then went round and collected some more eggs. But I'm back to the save right after credits.

How do I get away from the dog when I pick up the frisbee?
Put the frisbee back duh

Last edited:
I'm up to 28 eggs now, found a secret rabbit too. I'm trying to do this M. Disc sequence and keep thinking I'm missing something because I'm definitely doing it the *hard* way lol. Oh well, here goes another attempt.

Edit: ahhh, forgot about my firecrackers 👌

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The game is an easy 10/10 for me.

Fuck me this is starting to get interesting. Completed all the candles but no clue what the item does. All inventory items are full. 43 eggs. Still portions of the map to uncover... This game is definitely getting interesting now. I need to know what the last unlock for eggs are.

I also found a hidden code but have no clue where to utilize it.

I'm up to 28 eggs now, found a secret rabbit too. I'm trying to do this M. Disc sequence and keep thinking I'm missing something because I'm definitely doing it the *hard* way lol. Oh well, here goes another attempt.

Edit: ahhh, forgot about my firecrackers 👌
I used the flute to take a shortcut.

Last edited:
Just got the trophy for unlocking 32 eggs, only 1% of players have it, I've been exploring every nook and cranny lol.

There are some platforming puzzles the remind me of Super Meat Boy, white knuckles and sweaty palms.

Need 1 more 🔥, wonder what happens then.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just got the trophy for unlocking 32 eggs, only 1% of players have it, I've been exploring every nook and cranny lol.

There are some platforming puzzles the remind me of Super Meat Boy, white knuckles and sweaty palms.

Need 1 more 🔥, wonder what happens then.
The item you get has more uses than you might think. Good to experiment.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What the fuck, just found a cool easter egg in reference to Tunic. Just do the same trick you learn in that game.

Huh found another input code but again, not sure where to use it.

e: input codes sorted... just need 1 more.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Is it *actually* good?

I'm leaning on Gaffers here, rather than reviews. Been burned too many times by hipster reviewers chucking 9s and 10s at distinctly average games.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is it *actually* good?

I'm leaning on Gaffers here, rather than reviews. Been burned too many times by hipster reviewers chucking 9s and 10s at distinctly average games.
Depends what you want from a game. This leans heavy into the puzzle side. If you only want the platforming aspect, it's best to wait for a sale as that will only take 7 hours or so. If you want to explore more in depth and engage with the secrets, the game is much, much more rewarding. There's no combat so don't expect that.

To me, it's an easy 10/10 but I also love Tunic and Fez specifically for the puzzles and exploration.

I cannot stop thinking about the game.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Found the remote so finding the rest of the eggs shouldn't bee too hard. I know where a few are, just haven't figured out yet how to get them.

Also got the control panel but no clue what I'm meant to use it for just yet.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

101 MB file size. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Its ingenuinity is only surpassed by its simplicity.
Is that install size on PS5 or what platform is that?

Can anyone tell me the install size on PS5? I don't have access to my PS5 now and I am very curious with regards to the install size.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Is that install size on PS5 or what platform is that?

Can anyone tell me the install size on PS5? I don't have access to my PS5 now and I am very curious with regards to the install size.

It's 101MB on PS5. Today we got an update at 100MB. Update was as big as the game itself. :messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Edit: It now sits at 145,7MB.

Last edited:
Seriously great game. I am hopelessly lost most of the time but finding some items now and it's getting easier to explore. I definitely did something out of order to get the
bubble wand. Wondering if I came across one of the secret codes in the wall illuminated by my animal flute. It's E NE N NW S.

Also up to 16 eggs.

reezoo

Bought all the hype and started playing the game and I am super annoyed, all reviewes gave the impression that this 'sit back, relax and solve puzzle' kind of of game but infact its celeste light, even worse, time critical precesion jumping parkours.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Bought all the hype and started playing the game and I am super annoyed, all reviewes gave the impression that this 'sit back, relax and solve puzzle' kind of of game but infact its celeste light, even worse, time critical precesion jumping parkours.
Yeah the platforming is there. Once you realize some things, the platforming becomes trivial in most situations.

So I finally managed to get the flames, and just rolled credits for layer 1. Holy SHIT. The amount of shit they give you after is INSANE. I already thought I needed to go back and explore to get additional eggs since I got the top and the lantern, now I have the BB wand, went to the S Medal area and got the remote and it just keeps handing me shit and expanded my inventory. Not to mention all the cryptic environment markings that are quite surely more puzzles.

How are more people not talking about this game? I would think an indie like this, published by dunkey, critically acclaimed would garner a bit more attention. It's even on PS+ Extra so not like everyone would need to buy it day 1.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I told myself I would work on my backlog, but alas - here we are. This is the best, genuine Metroidvania I have played in many years. It feels like I am constantly discovering things and figuring out new stuff. What a gem. If this keeps up it will replace Helldivers 2 as my GotY pick thus far.

Up to 41 eggs, all medals, all flames, no guides (never use guides on a first playthrough but *especially* on a game like this) here is an example of how to get chests in tricky positions, I can think of a couple of different ways to do it too:

Will be busy the next couple of days but look forward to getting back to it soon and finishing it. Also, found the Tamagotchi, seems your total steps dictate whether the chest is accessible... . I believe the cuckoo clock sound that goes off every once in a while is related to the passage of time, no doubt some secrets are related to speedruns which aren't something I enjoy so I probably won't even attempt those, it's cool though.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Just started over on PS5 (from PC) and holy crap my entire game has been different. I don't ahve any of the power ups I had on the PC version. Super impressed with the openness of the design so far.

Yea this game completely owns. Really surprised it's not being talked about more. Hell, I didn't even hear of this until release date and that was just a Twitter post from Sony mentioning it was added to PS extra.

I think I have all the items (my inventory shows full) and I have 48 eggs. Finding the rabbits seems really tough though. I've found 3, not sure of the total amount but know I'm at least missing the mural one. But just when I figure I'm done discovering, something else happens which adds more depth. Was able to "find" some chests with the remote but a couple seem to be stuck in the ground. Makes me wonder if I am missing more inventory items

52 eggs, all items (I think). Going to do another loop with the latest pickup but I might use a guide at least to ballpark whereabouts of the remaining dozen. The map is huge and difficult to read/recognize, and traversal is not straightforward. Half of the battle is just finding one of the areas again, especially if I didn't mark it on my map the first time.

BadBurger

Regarding an early boss, or whatever:

How does one make the huge cat apparition that spawns when picking up the disc item go away?

Thief1987

Regarding an early boss, or whatever:

How does one make the huge cat apparition that spawns when picking up the disc item go away?
Don't take disc immediately, go further and you will find the replica, when return and swap it with the real one.

BadBurger

Put the disc back.
VNvStO5.png

Last edited:
I had to put it down for the day. This is one of those games that gives me an OCD meltdown. I have about 894 question marks on the map and then a stork randomly rekt my shit after I the ghost mouse head platforming rooms had already pissed me off.

Top Bottom