• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Weiner gets 21 months in prison in sexting case

From NYT last summer:

Mr. Weiner told the court that in January 2016, he was contacted by — and began exchanging online messages with — ”a stranger who said that she was a high school student, and who I understood to be 15 years old."

”I knew this was as morally wrong as it was unlawful," he added.

Yeah, no. Lock him up. She wasn't of consent age (16-18 in most states) and he knew it. It's not like she was pretending to be older and cruising adults-only dating sites or anything. She was underage and he was well aware.

I'm not saying that he can't be rehabilitated, just that certain things can't be written out or undone.

There's a reason the registry for sex offenders is publicly available and why that information has to be made known to employers.

He'll never be and should never be "let loose" from that, rehabilitated or not.

Oh yes, I agree.

He did much much worse than just send some gross pics. Dude was grooming a little girl

I'm not arguing that point.

But I think determining reasonable sentences for all criminals, including gross fucking perverts like Anthony Weiner, is extremely important, and asking for a decade-plus for this is not reasonable.

Beartruck

Fucking good. The whole comey email thing a week before the election happened because of this fuckhead. His inability to keep it in his pants inadvertently helped fuck the election.

He should probably write a book about how not to ruin your career and possibly life.

This guy almost had it all and managed to ruin it.

Not just his career and life. He swayed the course of a Presidential election. If the Feds weren't looking into him on these charges, there never would have been that last second Coney statement on Hillary Clinton's emails. People are going to/have already died because of this man's penis.

Surfinn

Ok, I was thinking of this solely in terms of a single lewd action, not as child predation. Maybe you're right. If this was a one-off, my statement would stand, but grooming is different, yeah. I didn't realize how long these communications were taking place.

You think there's an instance where an adult sending nudes to a minor doesn't constitute being a sexual predator?

GhaleonEB

I extended the quote in the OP slightly, to provide additional context for what Weiner did. It wasn't just sending dick pics. He solicited a 15 year old whom he knew to be 15, asked her to perform sexual acts for her via video chat services, and seemed to be grooming her for potential future physical sex acts.

Not just dick pics (which is already pretty horrifying).

Media

But I think determining reasonable sentences for all criminals, including gross fucking perverts like Anthony Weiner, is extremely important, and asking for a decade-plus for this is not reasonable.

If you think a decade plus is unreasonable on cases of child sex crimes then you have no idea what those crimes do to the children that survive them. They get a life sentence, and people cry about 21 months for the person that scarred then forever

If you think a decade plus is unreasonable on cases of child sex crimes then you have no idea what those crimes do to the children that survive them. They get a life sentence, and people cry about 21 months for the person that scarred then forever

I absolutely do, so don't make assumptions.

But I also recognize there are varying levels of severity and depravity of child sex crimes, and sentence lengths should reflect that.

Sentences of 10 years+ should be reserved for people who are far more heinous than Anthony Weiner, recognizing that Weiner is undoubtedly heinous.

Media

But I also recognize there are varying levels of severity and depravity of child sex crimes, and sentences should reflect that.

They should, but they don't. Having seen what I've seen, most get off extremely light, with even causes of actual physical rape getting pled down to probation. So no, I don't think 21 months is enough, especially considering he likely won't even serve that long, and when he gets out he'll go right back to it, but be more clever about it.

We might never hear his name again, and it won't be because he stopped hurting children

Takuan

I extended the quote in the OP slightly, to provide additional context for what Weiner did. It wasn't just sending dick pics. He solicited a 15 year old whom he knew to be 15, asked her to perform sexual acts for her via video chat services, and seemed to be grooming her for potential future physical sex acts.

Yeah this guy needs to be put away for much longer than 2 years.

But I also recognize there are varying levels of severity and depravity of child sex crimes, and sentence lengths should reflect that.

Sentences of 10 years+ should be reserved for people who are far more heinous than Anthony Weiner, recognizing that Weiner is undoubtedly heinous.

I agree there unfortunately has to be tiers. If he acted on any of these advances with physical sexual contact with the minor, then we would be talking about a 30, 40, or 50 year sentencing. But in the courts there must be some punishment distinction between sending nudes to a minor, and full on having sex with a minor. Otherwise, a predator who is already engaging in sexting with a minor will would get no further punishment if he goes on to have sex with that minor. And there absolutely needs to be a distinction there.

Hesh

If sentencing child molesters to 10 years of prison doesn't deter other sexual predators from grooming children then why not move down the line and sentence the groomers to 10 years? The point of the punishment is to deter others from doing the same.

If sentencing child molesters to 10 years of prison doesn't deter other sexual predators from grooming children then why not move down the line and sentence the groomers to 10 years? The point of the punishment is to deter others from doing the same.

Lengthy prison sentences (and capital punishment, taking this a step further) do a terrible job at deterring crimes.

Again, why we need to transition our systems to a rehabilitative focus from the current focus, which is pretty much entirely punitive.

kswiston

He's the one with the sexting fetish no? Did it ever come out that he was having sex with any of the women/girls he was sexting?

Either way, as a dad of a (thankfully not anywhere near 15 yet) daughter, I don't even know how I would react in this situation. At the very best, he was sexually exploiting minors who were too young to know how to handle themselves (ie consent) in that situation, even if he truly did have no plans to progress to statutory rape.

21 months seems pretty light given what people get in some states for being caught with pot. However, Weiner is politically connected, and is a multimillionaire in the United States. The prosecution has to take what they can get.

Hesh

Lengthy prison sentences (and capital punishment, taking this a step further) do a terrible job at deterring crimes.

Again, why we need to transition our systems to a rehabilitative focus from the current focus, which is pretty much entirely punitive.

Moving the goalposts, eh? Alright, then, I'll rephrase that: we've eliminated the American prison system and now all convicted felons are given rehabilitative psychological care. Since sentencing child molesters to ten years of rehabilitative care didn't deter child groomers, why not move down the line and sentence the child groomers to 10 years of rehabilitative care?

Surfinn

He's the one with the sexting fetish no? Did it ever come out that he was having sex with any of the women/girls he was sexting?

Either way, as a dad of a (thankfully not anywhere near 15 yet) daughter, I don't even know how I would react in this situation. At the very best, he was sexually exploiting minors who were too young to know how to handle themselves (ie consent) in that situation, even if he truly did have no plans to progress to statutory rape.

21 months seems pretty light given what people get in some states for being caught with pot. However, Weiner is politically connected, and is a multimillionaire in the United States. The prosecution has to take what they can get.

This pisses me off to no end and I don't even HAVE kids. Can't imagine if I did.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Thank you for the additional info. Yeah, sending a dick pic to a minor, assuming you didn't know they were a minor, would already be gross, but probably not worthy of a lengthy sentence. But this is way beyond what Spoiled Milk is portraying at. It's horrifyingly predatory. 21 months is pathetically lenient, but dude's a rich politician so of course they go easy on him. -_-

Ecotic

Let's not forget that Anthony Weiner sexting a minor is on the list of things that gave a razor thin victory to Donald Trump. It led to Comey's infamous letter to Congress.

Blader

They should, but they don't. Having seen what I've seen, most get off extremely light, with even causes of actual physical rape getting pled down to probation. So no, I don't think 21 months is enough, especially considering he likely won't even serve that long, and when he gets out he'll go right back to it, but be more clever about it.

We might never hear his name again, and it won't be because he stopped hurting children

When the fuck has Anthony Weiner ever been 'clever' about his sexual proclivities? He is determined to let the world learn how much of a creep he is as often as he can.

Personally, I am surprised he got sentenced to such a length of time. I am not used to punishing the rich.

Almost two years of this man's life gone for sexting. Unbelievable.
For sending pictures of his penis to a kid? That really seems like a just punishment to you?
He also had intent to do more. Two years of your life is a lot of time, but he could have gotten a lot more. This is a generous sentencing by the judge.

Moving the goalposts, eh? Alright, then, I'll rephrase that: we've eliminated the American prison system and now all convicted felons are given rehabilitative psychological care. Since sentencing child molesters to ten years of rehabilitative care didn't deter child groomers, why not move down the line and sentence the child groomers to 10 years of rehabilitative care?
I can't even tell if you're referencing actual things or just spinning hypotheticals, so I don't know how (or if) to answer.

Severe punishments don't work as deterrents. That's not in itself an argument against severe punishments, but a reminder that if you're doling out harsh, lengthy punishments, it should be for a reason other than deterring other criminals from committing similar crimes. Because it's an approach that flat-out doesn't work.

Hesh

I can't even tell if you're referencing actual things or just spinning hypotheticals, so I don't know how (or if) to answer.

Severe punishments don't work as deterrents. That's not in itself an argument against severe punishments, but a reminder that if you're doling out harsh, lengthy punishments, it should be for a reason other than deterring other criminals from committing similar crimes. Because it's an approach that flat-out doesn't work.

You said above "Sentences of 10 years+ should be reserved for people who are far more heinous than Anthony Weiner, recognizing that Weiner is undoubtedly heinous.", so I pointed out that those same sentences for "people that are far more heinous than Anthony Weiner" didn't deter Weiner (or others for that matter) from grooming a minor for sex. You keep going back and forth on "Longer sentences should be reserved for 'worse' people than Weiner" and "Long sentences don't work" that you're not making any sense. You come off as someone that doesn't see the crime from the victim's point of view and instead is focused on coddling Anthony Weiner for whatever reason.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Let's not forget that Anthony Weiner sexting a minor is on the list of things that gave a razor thin victory to Donald Trump. It led to Comey's infamous letter to Congress.
I hate him for that, but that isn't something that is relevant to the actual crime commited.

Look, instead bashing Spoiled Milk and making him/her feel like shit, it'd probably be more helpful to explain to him/her why everyone else in the thread has an opposing view on the law. I'm just saying. That's more constructive than just going "Ew, gross...you must like pedophiles you sicko!"
Does this really need a long thought out explanation on why its wrong???

RinsFury

Two years is getting off light, wouldn't be surprised if he gets out early either. Thanks for helping to deliver a Trump victory, you sick shitbag.

You said above "Sentences of 10 years+ should be reserved for people who are far more heinous than Anthony Weiner, recognizing that Weiner is undoubtedly heinous.", so I pointed out that those same sentences for "people that are far more heinous than Anthony Weiner" didn't deter Weiner (or others for that matter) from grooming a minor for sex. You keep going back and forth on "Longer sentences should be reserved for 'worse' people than Weiner" and "Long sentences don't work" that you're not making any sense. You come off as someone that doesn't see the crime from the victim's point of view and instead is focused on coddling Anthony Weiner for whatever reason.
Aaaaaand we're done here. Not willing to engage further with someone who clearly believes I'm not arguing from a position of good faith and that I'm instead "coddling" a pedophile.

Pretty certain I've been around this community more than long enough to have clearly established what kind of person I am and what I stand for. Have a nice day.

dbztrk

I wonder if his mother is still alive. She was my 10th grade math teacher. She was mean as fuck but an excellent teacher.

She must be so disappointed. :(

Hesh

Aaaaaand we're done here. Not willing to engage further with someone who clearly believes I'm not arguing from a position of good faith and that I'm instead "coddling" a pedophile.

Pretty certain I've been around this community more than long enough to have clearly established what kind of person I am and what I stand for. Have a nice day.

You phrased your argument in an awful way and you're just going to walk off instead of either rephrasing your argument or defending your original argument? Alright then, good talk.

Damaniel

Banned
For a bit of perspective, Jared Fogle, who actually had sex with multiple minors, got about 16 years.

So people wanting Weiner to get 10+ years are being pretty unreasonable.

If Jared hadn't been famous, he probably would have received more than 16, depending on the state he was convicted in.

As for Weiner, 10 years is probably too much, but barely more than 1.5 years is definitely too little. He's only getting off light because of his privileged position.

Ryuuroden

10 years in jail for anything short of murder/rape seems excessive.

We give marijuana dealers 20 years, there is always been weird jail sentence length in the United States. This Anthony Weiner character probably deserved more than the time he got for the offences he committed. You can argue he didn't commit rape but that's only because he was caught in the process of trying to. Weigh against also the fact that he plead guilty and it is what it is in our current Society where the rich get off light and the poor don't get off at all. Didn't amirox get more time for what he did. Weiner should have gotten more punishment

GhaleonEB

This pisses me off to no end and I don't even HAVE kids. Can't imagine if I did.

My older daughter turned 15 this year., which definitely contributes to my feelings about the case. I project Weiner's actions on to her, and holy fuck does the rage go off the charts.

My sense for him getting off light stems from the max sentence of 10 years for this particular charge, and the repeated, knowingly egregious behavior Wiener engaged in (as the prosecutors describe in the OP). That seems to put it at least toward the midpoint of the max sentence, IMO. My parental instinct is, lock the fucker up and throw away the key. But more pragmatically, I'm asking - what would a person have to do to warrant a steeper sentence for this particular charge? And in that context it's hard not to see a wealthy white former politician getting off easy because he's a wealthy white former politician.

Beefy

Ever been abused by a paedo? I have and it has stayed with me all my life, I still have flash backs. I can not see myself getting over it ever. Dudes that groom/ abusrle children need harsher sentences to acknowledge how much harm they do. You have no idea how much harm it does.

Ryuuroden

Ever been abused by a paedo? I have it has stayed with me all my life. Dudes that groom children need harsher sentences to acknowledge how much harm they do.

Are there ways to punish him as well as keep him from recommitting once he gets out. We are able to completely ruin the lives of sex offenders keep them from ever living in a decent place keep them from ever getting a decent job and basically punishing them until their death keep them from internet access etc etc. Jail time is not the only way we punish them nor is it the most financially responsible way in a nation where we imprison so many that we lead the world. Trust me his life is f***** even when he gets out. His Fame will make him a pariah for the rest of his life and we don't have to spend an inordinate taxpayer money to make it be so

Hesh

Trust me his life is f***** even when he gets out.

The sad thing is that I even question this. Considering he's a wealthy, white politician I have my doubts as to how difficult his life will be after prison. Hell, he'll likely be making appearances in 3 years on any number of political outlets to give his thoughts on the election.

Ever been abused by a paedo? I have and it has stayed with me all my life, I still have flash backs. I can not see myself getting over it ever. Dudes that groom/ abusrle children need harsher sentences to acknowledge how much harm they do. You have no idea how much harm it does.

Seriously. I have a good friend that was groomed at 15 and it fucked him up. He ain't no no better. And he was taken advantage of. Exploited. By the time he realized It was too late. I have no tolerance for this shit.

When someone develops a system to rehabilitate pedophiles with a 100% success rate I'll be all for it. Until then keep those sick fucks locked up so they can't rape my child. Thanks!

Beefy

Are there ways to punish him as well as keep him from recommitting once he gets out. We are able to completely ruin the lives of sex offenders keep them from ever living in a decent place keep them from ever getting a decent job and basically punishing them until their death keep them from internet access etc etc. Jail time is not the only way we punish them nor is it the most financially responsible way in a nation where we imprison so many that we lead the world. Trust me his life is f***** even when he gets out. His Fame will make him a pariah for the rest of his life and we don't have to spend an inordinate taxpayer money to make it be so

He is white and rich.. dude will be fine

Ryuuroden

The sad thing is that I even question this. Considering he's a wealthy, white politician I have my doubts as to how difficult his life will be after prison. Hell, he'll likely be making appearances in 3 years on any number of political outlets to give his thoughts on the election.

I thought about making a comment how he could go to Hollywood considering it's a giant sex offender enabling neighborhood

Marker007

The most disgusting part of this entire thing is that this whack-job was taking half naked pictures for said minor while he was holding his own baby.

What a fucking motherfucking piece of shit.

Has a hot wife, career for the taking, and path to presidency if wanted. But no. Lets tweet dick pic to underaged girls. You fucker. I hope rats in prison chew your dick off.

It was especially disappointing that even after so many details of his actions were made public, the first instinct for many was to lament the end of his public career. It's frustrating that this case lasted so long and has such a weak-toothed conclusion.

Top Bottom