• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple announces new M4 chip, capable of accelerated ray tracing, 50% faster than M2

Draugoth

Gold Member
GM-4a40XsAEqh30

• CPU has 4 perf and 6 efficiency cores•
10-core GPU with dynamic caching, mesh shading, and ray tracing
• up to 50% faster CPU performance than M2
• 38 TOPS of NPU perf

At its “Let Loose” event on Tuesday, Apple announced its M4 chip will be coming to its next generation of devices, starting with the iPad Pro. After rumors of a “true AI-powered device,” the new OLED iPad Pro will include an upgraded M4 chip that’s focused on improving performance for AI-related tasks in iPadOS. Apple focused heavily on the M4’s AI capabilities, thanks to a new neural engine that’s “an outrageously powerful chip for AI.” It’s supposedly 60 times faster than the A11’s NPU and could allegedly rival AI chips from Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
My M2 Max is an absolute beast. I use Windows personally for gaming and macOS professionally, but I did try a few games like RE4 and Death Stranding on my MacBook, and they ran and looked fantastic.

It’d be really cool if more devs leveraged the Apple silicon chips for gaming. Their efficiency and performance are on another level for laptop/mobile use.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I just realized you can't connect two monitors to a Mac M1 without a third party USB addon that bypasses Apple measures. That plus me having to buy a third party app to make my TV work at more or less proper resolution + frame rate to work. WTF do people see in these machines? I can't believe how bad and overcomplicated they are to do the most basic stuff... I swear it's only because some are just used to them and won't move anywhere else no matter what...

Edit: You can connect two monitors without that addon but by OS limitation you'll only get video in one of them, not both.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Finally a bump in bandwidth in the base model. Let’s see if the Pro version corrects the crime of the M3 Pro.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can’t wait to be offered 70€ game ports available anywhere else for 5€.
Just to play devils advocate, I wanted to buy Death Stranding DC a couple months ago, and it was $20 cheaper on Mac than anywhere else, including Steam. Plus it plays on my MacBook and iPhone with cross save.

Might have been a sale price or something, but I was originally planning on getting it for PS5 until I realized it was half the price on the App Store.

Cattlyst

No desire to upgrade my base M2 Macbook to be honest, even if M4 is 50% faster. Will it make YouTube and GAF run 50% faster? The Apple Tax on the app store is even worse than the Nintendo Tax on the eShop, too. Resident Evil 7 for 49.99 anyone? Anyone? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
My M2 Max is an absolute beast. I use Windows personally for gaming and macOS professionally, but I did try a few games like RE4 and Death Stranding on my MacBook, and they ran and looked fantastic.

It’d be really cool if more devs leveraged the Apple silicon chips for gaming. Their efficiency and performance are on another level for laptop/mobile use.

They’re [very] slowly dipping their toes into gaming. It will be another couple of years before they go all in. My guess is that the Apple TV can be a big vehicle for them and gaming.

Top Bottom