• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to Pay Artists After Taylor Swift Protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
She was witholding her album because of the fact that the smaller poorer artist wouldnt get paid during the trial

Even if she was doing it just for herself, it's her work, she doesn't need to give Apple a tip.

VARIA

Good on her.

She used her name/popularity for a good cause. Apple knew that if they didn't address these concerns it would snowball into an even bigger boycott from more mainstream artists.

Kaladin

I think Apple is being forward thinking on this. They don't want to start their music service off with a PR nightmare like Spotify is in over royalties so they're doing the right thing and reversing a policy that backfired on them.

I just hope they continue this trend and have a better payout system than Spotify or they will eventually end up in the same PR nightmare they're trying to avoid.

The Beard

This is definitely a good thing for the smaller name artists out there, but realistically how much money are we talking here for some obscure band ? Are they going to be getting $.79 royalty checks in the mail ? Apple can't pay every single artist good, or even decent money.

snap0212

This is very good news, especially for indie bands. I hope they're signing up now as they seem to have been reluctant to do so at first. Let's also hope she reviews her own stance on using other people's work for free and preventing them from using it to make money. Link.

TL:DR: Photographers hired by a newspaper (for example) to shoot at her show are only allowed to use the pictures taken once (like a shot for the paper itself) and then never again. She, however, can use these photos herself for things like promotion without giving the photographer any compensation for his work. The photographer is not allowed to use the pictures in any way, not even to promote himself or something. So she's quite alright using other people's work for free, it seems.

Fugu

While Taylor Swift's position is more right than Apple's, the whole dialogue is laughably irrelevant for the vast majority of musicians given that streaming isn't a viable revenue stream for all but the most successful of artists.

kiguel182

This is definitely a good thing for the smaller name artists out there, but realistically how much money are we talking here for some obscure band ? Are they going to be getting $.79 royalty checks in the mail ? Apple can't pay every single artist good, or even decent money.

You can't really calculate now what they would lose.

It all depends on how many people ditch Spotify during those three months and how Apple's paying scheme works. I hear it's per-stream so that's good but I don't know what that value is.

The truth is everyone will make more money during those three months than they would in any other service just based on how many people will sign up. That's why Apple tried to cut a deal for them to not pay because this will cost them a pretty penny.

Small artists will make a cool sum out of this so, ultimately, it's good they changed their ways. Even if the fault rests on those that agreed Apple to do this.

Zubz

Banned
Nice! It's rare to see someone with as much sway in the music industry as her using it to fight for smaller, independent artists. I may not listen to her music, but I have a lot of respect for Taylor Swift for doing this.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah....or probably GameGuru with his anti-capitalism dogma.

I liked how he was all "capitalism is bullshit" and "what's value and worth anyway" but chooses to attack the Taylor Swift rather than Apple, which would be a bigger demon to fight if you truely hate capitalism. And also that rubbish about how $12 for a Taylor Swift album is exorbitant because somehow selling 5 million copies of something means that Swift and her team are already being paid too much. And that he'll make a stand by using Spotify instead.

Thank god Indie artists will finally be able to pay their bills for a couple hours, maybe.

Still better than not being able to pay any bills.

Spinluck

Can't lie, I don't care for her music and I don't think she can sing, but her influence on the music industry is quite positive.

She knows how to run her product lol, glad Apple is listening.

EDIT: Apple come on son, most profitable company on Earth, this shouldn't even be a story.

I liked how he was all "capitalism is bullshit" and "what's value and worth anyway" but chooses to attack the Taylor Swift rather than Apple, which would be a bigger demon to fight if you truely hate capitalism. And also that rubbish about how $12 for a Taylor Swift album is exorbitant because somehow selling 5 million copies of something means that Swift and her team are already being paid too much. And that he'll make a stand by using Spotify instead.

And that he'll drop $60 bucks on Nintendo games but won't for any other games, when Nintendo games are priced essentially the same? lol smh

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
This is awesome news.

I also feel like I should buy Taylor Swift albums now. Not really sure what I would do with them though?

spwolf

Can't lie, I don't care for her music and I don't think she can sing, but her influence on the music industry is quite positive.

She knows how to run her product lol, glad Apple is listening.

EDIT: Apple come on son, most profitable company on Earth, this shouldn't even be a story.

absolutely... i dont listen to her, but thank god for her balls of steel. More artists should have done the same, especially those who can control their digital rights like she obviously can. But no, she was a lone ranger here and big thumbs up.

andthebeatgoeson

So it's important to highlight that this isn't just Taylor Swift reaching out to Apple....she simply had the loudest voice. They had been talking about doing this for a while now.

Also of note, there was a negotiated higher royalty rate that would take effect after the trial period to compensate artists for that time.....so they weren't not getting paid, they just weren't getting paid those 3 months. Now Apple is paying the artists for those three months and at the higher rate....so they're making good on what artists are complaining about.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...r-apples-eddy-cue-answers-9-burning-questions
Yeah, okay. Gif. Sure they were just trying to decide when to give the artists the money.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Continuing slaying, Queen T.
post-53189-taylor-swift-crotch-chop-gif-I-XFod.gif

EGM1966

I don't get Taylor Swift.... Its like she doesn't have enough money.

Seems you don't get the entire situation.

Anyway good for her. I haven't heard a single peep of her music nor do I intend to but can't fault how she swung her influence in this case.

slit

I know this post has been beaten to death but it makes no sense that people are always complaining about other people who that have too much money and not the corporations who have much, much more.

In this case Apple no less. lol

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

As opposed to Apple, who are hurting so fucking bad that they need to punish the talent making their service exist instead of eating the cost on their own free trial.

The tone of her letter was perfect. Laid it out there without having to troll to get her point across. She'd never last a day on these forums, poor thing.

Kaladin

ITT: First post gets quoted 20+ times and is apparently banned for ignorance (or at least that is what I like to think the ban was for).

bryehn

I just became a Taylor Swift fan today.

Still don't plan on listening to any of her music, but I respect her big time now.

Exactly. I don't like her work myself, but she's arguably the biggest star around right now and used her pull to set a precedent for the entire industry. My Facebook is loaded with posts from labels and artists saying thanks.

kiguel182

I'm also eagerly anticipating kiguel182 derailing the shit out of this thread too with nonsense

I didn't derail the other thread since I talked about it's subject in every post I did. You just happen to disagree with it. Funny how you also didn't bring anything to that conversation but here you are calling me out and, with doing so, going off topic.

But hey, great contribution to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom