• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ashamed to be a "gamer"?

Not at all. At the contrary, i like to point out the superiority of the media over more passive activity like watching stupid TV, which anybody is doing it without any kind of shame.

However, i must say that i feel kind of retarded sometime when i'm playing a game so clearly not designed for my age group that it make me enter full throttle into cringe land of despair, but i still play it because i enjoy the gameplay mechanics.

Khrno

I am ashamed of people calling people that play videogames, gamers, because it is a ridiculous moniker.

I've simply played videogames for over 30 years and it is my main hobby. That's about it.

Also I worked in game testing and producing for SCEE, but I'm so glad I'm out of that shithole.

Not at all. At the contrary, i like to point out the superiority of the media over more passive activity like watching stupid TV, which anybody is doing it without any kind of shame.

However, i must say that i feel kind of retarded sometime when i'm playing a game so clearly not designed for my age group that it make me enter full throttle into cringe land of despair, but i still play it because i enjoy the gameplay mechanics.

I'm ashamed of all the gamers that feel like they have to use slurs all the time. I hear enough of it in online games so knock it off on message boards.

What with all the deep existential questions about gaming on here today.

Do we not play games to have fun?

Typical sunday, the day of doubt and introspection.

I'm ashamed of all the gamers that feel like they have to use slurs all the time. I hear enough of it in online games so knock it off on message boards.

Sorry, i was not aware that retarded was a slur. Won't use it if it's make anybody uncomfortable.

Linguistics 101: words matter. We define the world around us through language. So "gamer" isn't simply its dictionary definition. It's much more than that: you must consider its cultural and social understandings in the globalised world.

Language is NOT a dictionary

Language is fluid and I don't have to subscribe by your definition of the word just because you say so. I can have no problem being part of community of people who like playing games, while also denouncing the toxic elements and being critical of them. Gaming itself isn't an inherently bad community, so there should be no shame being part of it, as long as you're cognizant of the elements of it that need to change

I'm not ashamed to play games, but I'm not a big fan of the term "gamer." Negative connotations aside, I think the term is a little silly. I have lots of hobbies and I don't identify myself as a consumer of any of them.

I do use gamer when I'm writing marketing copy. I think of it as a marketing term more than anything else.

Hexa

I really feel this is the definitive position on the subject. For the life of me, i can't grasp why there is a need to define yourself this way.

Think of it as another term for game enthusiast. There are people that watch movies, and then people that really watch movies, keep up with all the releases, post on film messages boards, etc. These are called film enthusiasts. The same applies to gamers. Having a term for it isn't that strange.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
What with all the deep existential questions about gaming on here today.

Do we not play games to have fun?

y7sz3bpj

now get back to what you should identify as and what label you want

Melchiah

No, I'm not ashamed of anything I love. It annoys me though, when people who don't play games look down on the hobby, like it's somehow less meaningful than watching movies and series, or listening to music.

Fairly recently someone found it funny, when I mentioned about the nerve damage in my hand in relation to how it affects gaming. Well, you wouldn't want to have your hearing damaged, so you couldn't listen to your beloved records anymore. People are jackasses.

Maxinas

Couldn't care less about toxic gaming communities. If /v/ on 4chan taught me anything, it's that people would rather spend their free time complaining and shitposting about video games than playing them. In fact i just wasted a good minute writing this post instead of playing some Splatoon 2, thanks a lot OP.

I've just started carrying my Vita and Switch around for when I'm in between meetings and I haven't gotten a single odd look or remark, only positive questions about the hardware/games. Point is, it seems the stigma around "gamers" is dwindling every day. No shame here.

It doesn't hurt that I'm not self-conscience at all so even way back when a GameBoy would get you some side eye glances, I never gave much of a shit.

Somewhat. It's not something I talk about with non-"gamers" and I really hate some parts of the overall community, like the GamerGate fuckwits. It's not something I flaunt, but it's not something I hide either.

Humdinger

In the privacy of my own home, no. I'm older, though, so I'll get self-conscious if I'm discussing it with other people my age (e.g., at work, with professionals in their 50s and 60s). Or if I'm just getting to know a woman, I usually won't talk about how much I'm into gaming.

Not at all because I don't give a shit what people think of my hobbies and their opinions on other gamers. If you're ashamed of a hobby like gaming or being a gamer then you've got a lot of growing up to do.

Some Nobody

This idea that, by distancing yourself from "gamers" you're somehow not one of them is some of the most embarrassing geek self-hatred I've ever seen. If you've ever quibbled over framerate or resolution, ever excitedly anticipated E3 (or especially TGS), or have "thoughts" on what the real definition for a Japanese RPG is, you're a gamer.

Racist, sexist, and homophobic assholes have infected something I love. That much has been unquestionable for the last three or four years. And it makes me angry.

But I'm still a gamer because (until the industry's practices make it otherwise) I enjoy video games a lot. And because no one's going to take me serious if they see a large ass stack of games, call me a gamer and I go "Don't call me that". You are what you are--people who love movies are film buffs, people who love music are music lovers. Being a gamer doesn't sum up my identity, it's just one part of the greater whole.

But mainly the reason I identify as a gamer is because I refuse to let something as neutral as "person who enjoys games" be taken over by nazi dipshits with anime egg avatars. A more direct response to them would be: fuck you, I was here first.

Think of it as another term for game enthusiast. There are people that watch movies, and then people that really watch movies, keep up with all the releases, post on film messages boards, etc. These are called film enthusiasts. The same applies to gamers. Having a term for it isn't that strange.

I realize that - and I don't begrudge people that want to use it. I just don't get it.

(a) humans are complex. Labels based on hobbies are reductive. Your examples are all valid, but none of those enthusiasts have a similar term

(b) it has been contaminated irreversibly by gamergate, and there is no point in reclaiming it because it wasn't useful in the first place. It's not like we're a marginalized group trying to take something back. If "gamer" became synonymous with "gamergater," I wouldn't be upset, because i don't identify with the term.

DeaDPo0L84

Gaming is a hobby, a personal one. If you cant separate gaming and what others may think of you for doing so then there is probably a much deeper problem than feeling "ashamed". I really dont get people who say they want to quit gaming or feel ashamed because a few ass hats may make it look bad to a very select few while the rest really dont give a shit. If you feel ashamed for playing games or the need to quit due to how others may portray it to ppl you will literally never meet in real life than I feel sad for you cause by that logic you must never enjoy anything as there are assholes attached to every form of entertainment. I also find the gamer tag funny, i am 33 yrs old and have NEVER gone into public or been asked to identify myself as a gamer so ppl can be full aware of my hobby. Couldnt imagine being at a grocery store and a couple starts whispering "ohhh he must be one of them gamers". Its not realistic and people are just taking on a burden that simply doesnt exist. Play videogames, it really is that simple. If you cant play a game and enjoy it cause random forum user X from 3 states away possibly made a bad comment or said something unsatisfactory on the internet then again there is a much deeper issue with yourself personally.

I dont think anyone outside of internet gamers care or understand the definition of "gamer" to mean much more than "I play console/pc video games regularly"

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
These are the only type of threads that are embarrassing to me.

Wozman23

I feel no shame in playing games, but I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "gamer." To me it's a silly term, and I don't identify with the status quo or the label's stereotypes.

Like every facet of my life, whether it be video games, politics, or religion, I'm an apathetic agnostic. I don't pay much mind to controversies, and still don't know what GamerGate is.

I merely exist in a bubble of my own enjoyment, devoid of the caustic experiences of multiplayer, the latest youtube blunder, or anything else that would cause people shame.

I'm passionate about the games I play, and spend quite a bit of my free time playing games. But I'm equally as passionate about music, and comedy, and exercise. And even in those other categories, I see myself as more of a deviant who doesn't identify with the majority.

I just have fun via my limitless, childlike, jovial nature, and I couldn't care less what people think or how other people act. It's a wonderful world to live in.

Some Nobody

I realize that - and I don't begrudge people that want to use it. I just don't get it.

(a) humans are complex. Labels based on hobbies are reductive. Your examples are all valid, but none of those enthusiasts have a similar term

(b) it has been contaminated irreversibly by gamergate, and there is no point in reclaiming it because it wasn't useful in the first place. It's not like we're a marginalized group trying to take something back. If "gamer" became synonymous with "gamergater," I wouldn't be upset, because i don't identify with the term.

They're as reductive as you want to make them. If someone says they're a gamer, that could mean they play a lot of CoD or it could mean they keep a running list of the games they want to buy all year. They also save time. No one's going to call you a "person that plays games" when they could just say gamer and move on.

As for it being "contaminated", tell that to the countless people who don't know what the fuck gamergate is.

More simply:

I dont think anyone outside of internet gamers care or understand the definition of "gamer" to mean much more than "I play console/pc video games regularly"

Personally I don't understand the definition to be more than that, either. :p

Syril

I never really considered "gamer" to mean anything more than "person who plays games". Not even just video games either.

That being said, my view is that video games are a medium, and no single group or community has the power to represent an entire medium unilaterally.

Chessr

All at my work talks About soccer soccer or more soccer. But i found out a Lot of coworkers game on pc. But they still only talk About soccer.
They have no interest in talking About it. I Think they Know nothing About the industry.
Another Co worker Some times refer to my Office at Home as a gamer room and She never seen so Many games.
Thats why in a little embaressed

I'm a bit ashamed of being an "old gamer". At 32, if my age ever comes out on an online game, it's like suddenly I am seen like a geezer.

Being realistic, I don't devote enough time to consider myself a gamer anymore, and it's more akin to one day watching a movie. since I rarely play more than two hours if i ever turn the console on.. I don't play frequently anymore, so I guess I don't have to be ashamed of something I am not.

eXistor

I certainly don't label myself as one (or as anything; labels are dumb), but no I'm not ashamed of being a person who loves videogames. No one should be ashamed of loving a hobby and being passionate about it. There's a lot of facets to the game-industr, so it's very easy to ignore most of it and still be able to immerse yourself into the part of it you enjoy.

As for it being "contaminated", tell that to the countless people who don't know what the fuck gamergate is.

You can bury your head in the sand and pretend that that was not something covered by the mainstream press frequently if you like, but the evidence speaks to the contrary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/...video-game-threats-anita-sarkeesian.html?_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ill-ever-need-to-read/?utm_term=.73bd402d27c2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29616197

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/living/gamergate-explainer/index.html

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-dangerous-game-gamergate-and-the-alt-right-1.3874259

It was even referenced in Google attacks a few days ago as an -ism.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...meeting-james-damore-memo-alt-right-gamergate

Recognizing the impact of those events should be the community's focus, not white-washing them. And part of that is definitely the contamination of the term gamer, like it or not, fair or unfair.

RRockman

Banned
I like video games. Just because some idiots like video games, this does not mean that I am the same as those idiots. As Roxas would say:

I am me. Nobody else.

Alej

Banned
If a gamer means a guy enjoying playing games, why should anyone be ashamed of that. At least if the games aren't bringing shame themselves.

Anyone can enjoy games.

But then, why? Gamer-why? I mean, why do we have to come with a term like this. Gaming isn't a community has a whole. A guy playing games is a gamer as a footballer playing football on the pitch. But why do we need to be gamers outside of the gaming stage?

I am incapable of feeling shame if someone superficially similar to myself commits a shameful act, so I'm not embarrassed to be a gamer/game player/video game fan/whatever, but I'm not "proud" of it either. I don't want to build walls, or scare away people who just want to dip their toes in. My passion for gaming makes life enjoyable, even when I'm struggling, and that's all I need for it to feel worthwhile.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm just a person that plays games. I don't really define myself by that.

I also don't really identify with "gaming" culture, mostly because of the insidious amounts of bigoted shit that has wormed its way in there.

entremet

As compared to the vocal majority of the community? We've practically one foot in the grave.

Pretty sure the average gamer is around that age actually.

You can bury your head in the sand and pretend that that was not something covered by the mainstream press frequently if you like, but the evidence speaks to the contrary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/...video-game-threats-anita-sarkeesian.html?_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ill-ever-need-to-read/?utm_term=.73bd402d27c2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29616197

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/living/gamergate-explainer/index.html

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-dangerous-game-gamergate-and-the-alt-right-1.3874259

It was even referenced in Google attacks a few days ago as an -ism.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...meeting-james-damore-memo-alt-right-gamergate

Recognizing the impact of those events should be the community's focus, not white-washing them. And part of that is definitely the contamination of the term gamer, like it or not, fair or unfair.

This is mainstream coverage, not mainstream awareness. Big difference.

slorelli

Neo Member
Honestly for me it can be tough. My group of friends are more "dudebro" gamers and strictly play sports titles and shooters. Although I do enjoy CoD and sports just as much as them, my preference and love for games are with Nintendo franchises. They give me some grief for playing Nintendo games still but it's partly joking. Being a 31 year old working in a typically mysogonist careerfield it is just easier to be a closet gamer than talk about my interests. I don't wear game franchise clothes or play my 3DS or Switch in public but I'm not opposed to those who do. But I always feel that the people I see openly embracing their inner "nerd" also don't run in the same circles as I do. It's cowardly of me I know, but it's just easier.

Top Bottom