• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aren't the Fast and Furious crews straight up villains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_z

I get what you're saying, but I think it makes sense when you consider the current environment. People have always enjoyed gigantic muscular action movies. There weren't many good ones in the previous decade--there were ones like XXX (which you semi-imply is on the same level as F&F, which is not true). Mainstream action and adventure moved more and more towards that now-mocked "grittiness", tried to be cripplingly serious. The last ~2 entries in this franchise have realized that you don't have to be dour to be dramatically interesting, all while putting fantastic humongous action back on screens.

Five was still grounded in reality enough for it to be awesome. Yes they would have died from the canyon fall and theres no way for those cars to pull that safe but those exceptions needed to be made to make the scenes and beyond that it was grounded by physics. Fast six started to move away from that with stuff like the superman highway jump. The more they move into that direction the dumber and less engaging these movies become.

Edit: just read the non spoiler parts of the review linked above. It says most of the action is done with practical effects. If true stupid sky scraper jump aside that sounds promising.

Five was still grounded in reality enough for it to be awesome. Yes they would have died from the canyon fall and theres no way for those cars to pull that safe but those exceptions needed to be made to make the scenes and beyond that it was grounded by physics. Fast six started to move away from that with stuff like the superman highway jump. The more they move into that direction the dumber and less engaging these movies become.

Edit: just read the non spoiler parts of the review linked above. It says most of the action is done with practical effects. If true stupid sky scraper jump aside that sounds promising.
They dropped real cars with parachutes out of a cargo plane.

And in 6, they really raced a tank down a bridge.

DominoKid

Don't get rekt too hard now.

rlxnOWq.gif

ROCK BOTTOM! ROCK BOTTOM! ROCK BOTTOM! (c) JR

Foggy

I get what you're saying, but I think it makes sense when you consider the current environment. People have always enjoyed gigantic muscular action movies. There weren't many good ones in the previous decade--there were ones like XXX (which you semi-imply is on the same level as F&F, which is not true). Mainstream action and adventure moved more and more towards that now-mocked "grittiness", tried to be cripplingly serious. The last ~2 entries in this franchise have realized that you don't have to be dour to be dramatically interesting, all while putting fantastic humongous action back on screens.

Honestly, the most recent F&F has more in common with xXx
(felt gross just typing that)
than a lot of people would care to admit. Just as much absurd physics, a sprinkling of genuinely awe-inducing practical effects, and a really corny sense of humor. The last two have clearly done it better, but they're not as far apart as you would initially think. But with all that said, I am looking forward to it. In fact, if it weren't for Mad Max I'd look to F&F7 as the standard bearer for Hollywood action for the year.

Oh and headlines like this from sbnation:
'Furious 7' might be the greatest movie I've ever seen
Not the BEST movie, mind you. But maybe the MOST movie.

It's hard to look at headlines like this and not feel like people aren't being entirely genuine. And hell, absurd praise like this isn't hard to find.

Edit: Oh and I wish people would stop saying throwback in reference to these movies. These are pure superhero movies; ain't nothing throwback about that.

What if Amanda Waller showed up at the end credits of The Furious 7 while Dom is rotting in prison and offered him and his crew a place on a certain task force she was putting together...

TASK FORCE X

THE SUICIDE SQUAD 2: RIDE OR DIE.

What if Amanda Waller showed up at the end credits of The Furious 7 while Dom is rotting in prison and offered him and his crew a place on a certain task force she was putting together...

TASK FORCE X

THE SUICIDE SQUAD 2: RIDE OR DIE.

mad max is honestly the only crossover with these guys that makes sense to me right now. vehicular movies are gonna be the best blockbusters of the year just you watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom