• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS footage analysis (stages, DNA themed fighter, audience dresses as characters)

Cerium

GAFer RoombaDance uncovered so much detail from the recent ARMS footage that it pretty much demands its own thread.

So each of the announced fighters have their own stage. Spring Man has the generic boxing rink. Ribbon Girl has a concert hall dance stage. Ninjara has a ninja temple with sakura tree. Mechana has a construction site. Master Mummy has a spooky graveyard. Min Min has the giant ramen bowl.

A seventh stage is shown, corresponding to one of the other characters. This character clearly has the DNA double helix as arms. My bet is on the white character being a Mewtwo-like genetically engineered clone. We can see the body of this character (or at least his minions) in giant test chambers on this stage.

Other stuff I noticed: Each of the characters has their own icon. This is often shown on their stage, but I didn't spot all of them. There's also logos representing the brands of different equipment suppliers. The Arms League has its own logo, looking kind of like a letter A with a globe in the middle and lightning coming out of the bottom. The fans in the audience members dress up like the characters you're playing as in Kirby-like costumes.

Silly guesses: The green sex robot is really a humanoid wearing a welding mask, with fire arms. The Luchadora has spandex arms. The yellow robot has braided extension cord arms.
Upon request, he provided a visual essay that I have reproduced below.

Why not? I already had half of the screens. To avoid image spam, I'm linking to an external album for the rest.
kQu2pDy.jpg

Mystery character stage - DNA theme with mystery characters in stasis chambers

asZL0vU.jpg

Spring Boy Stage - Boxing rink with springs on edges. Notice the Arms League logo and text in the center of the stage. Same as appears behind our narrator.

49Z2Ukb.jpg

Mechanica - Construction Yard Stage with pillars. Again the A

qgBMpJ8.jpg

Ninjara - Temple stage with falling cherry blossoms. That's his logo on the banner.

PKcUhmG.jpg

Master Mummy - Spooky stage

2si6p6C.jpg

Min Min giant ramen bowl stage

IOaX2F9.jpg

Ribbon Girl - pop idol concert stage with appearing platforms

6moGfuf.png

Mummy and MinMin fans

4dXFOAp.png

Mechanica and Spring Boy fans

xd02gWB.png

Ribbon Girl and Ninjaro fans

f8GrRIS.jpg

ARMS gear brands

Here again are the 4 unannounced characters gleaned from the trailer if anyone wants to guess which one (if any) the DNA person is.

And finally we have the official profiles taken from the Japanese site.

Did anyone do the profiles of the characters from the Japanese site?

If not:

Spring Man
Belongs To: Spring Gym
Height: 182cm
Weight: 76kg

Ribbon Girl
Belongs To: Ribbon Label
Height: 169cm
Weight: Only as much as her fans think!

Ninjara
Belongs To: Rasen Ninja University
Height: 179cm
Weight: 68kg

Master Mummy
Belongs To: Mummy Hospital
Height: 231cm
Weight: 167kg

Min Min
Belongs To: Noodle Dining Hall
Height: 167cm
Weight: On a diet

Mechanica
Belongs To: Scrap Yard
Height: 234cm (Outside suit: 158cm)
Weight: 545kg (Outside suit: 45kg)

jonno394

Good analysis :)

Purely going on the colour, i'm going for the green double helix stage to be the green unknown character. The character doesn't have a proper physical form, just gooe-y liquid contained within a man made frame.

oti

Banned
Mechanica
Belongs To: Scrap Yard
Height: 234cm (Outside suit: 158cm)
Weight: 545kg (Outside suit: 45kg)

Great Tumblr bait there, Nintendo.

Good stuff. This is shaping up to be an absolutely stellar game. Looking forward to an E3 blowout and some demonstrations of high level play!

So the speculation about the characters being cyborgs except Mechanica was correct?!

I can see an anime from her prospective happening (my hero academia vibe here).

Jofamo

Nintendo need to go full Overwatch with this. The character designs are already great, and they're really fleshing out the world with the ARMS manufacturers, tournaments etc (similar to Splatoon).

Let's get some great character interactions, lore etc built up around all of this. Once you get a fanbase started (like Overwatch, Splatoon), the hype takes care of itself.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So the speculation about the characters being cyborgs except Mechanica was correct?!

I can see an anime from her prospective happening (my hero academia vibe here).

Well they're not cyborgs per se. More like mutations/experimented on to fight. They have normal human fans wearing their gimmick (Minmin fans have her beanie) so maybe they're like wrestlers only modified?

Also the Japanese site has mini profiles stating their abilities as well as some story quirk. Here's some estimation.

Spring Man - very generic "he's a hotheaded fighter"
Ribbon Girl - an idol, considers the tournament a spectacle and wants the final match to be her greatest performance
Ninjara - studies at the Nnja University, considers winning as the final test in order to complete his training
Mr. Mummy - doesn't know why but he just woke up from the hospital
Mechanica - doesn't have ARMS power like the rest of the cast, so she instead uses her mecha to fight
Minmin - owns a popular ramen restaurant, wants to win order to promote her restaurant

LordKano

Well they're not cyborgs per se. More like mutations/experimented on to fight. They have normal human fans wearing their gimmick (Minmin fans have her beanie) so maybe they're like wrestlers only modified?

Also the Japanese site has mini profiles stating their abilities as well as some story quirk. Here's some estimation.

Ribbon Girl - an idol, considers the tournament a spectacle and wants the final match to be her greatest performance
Ninjara - studies at the Nnja University, considers winning as the final test in order to complete his training
Mechanica - doesn't have ARMS power like the rest of the cast, so she instead uses her mecha to fight
Minmin - owns a popular ramen restaurant, wants to win order to promote her restaurant

This is so shonen it hurts.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Please nintendo give us a silly shonen anime to promote the game, the "back story" of the characters already reads like one.

"Only as much as her fans think!"
"On a diet"
Uhhhhhhh...

The fan one kinda can be construed as poking fun at obsessive idol fans (that's how I read it anyway), but the rest are kind of disgusting. Loving everything else about this game and the characters so far, though.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The fan one kinda can be construed as poking fun at obsessive idol fans (that's how I read it anyway), but the rest are kind of disgusting. Loving everything else about this game and the characters so far, though.

What's disgusting about the rest?

Green dude being some sort of 'artificial being' with DNA arms sounds like it would fit to me. Dude with the white helmet strikes me as more of a straight up cyborg character, perhaps with energy arms or robotic extension ones (think like Bender from Futurama I guess).

Brown lady I would bet is playing into the exotic beauty archetype, and moreover given the shape of her hair (which as established now, tends to thematically be tied to the character), she may have a flower motif? It looks like the edge of a flower petal.

Not sure if the character in the blue banner could be a robot, or some sort of aviator archetype. Those eyes do look robotic, but it could be high tech goggles too, unlike green dude where they're linked to their face.

Edit:
Both are meant to be a joke on their respective careers (especially Minmin). Mechanica pretty much has her weight revealed and she isn't as different. Hell people thought she was a loli but turns out she's 17.

Mechanica is 15 according to the OP, unless the translation is wrong?

Boss Doggie

Green dude being some sort of 'artificial being' with DNA arms sounds like it would fit to me. Dude with the white helmet strikes me as more of a straight up cyborg character, perhaps with energy arms or robotic extension ones (think like Bender from Futurama I guess).

Brown lady I would bet is playing into the exotic beauty archetype, and moreover given the shape of her hair (which as established now, tends to thematically be tied to the character), she may have a flower motif? It looks like the edge of a flower petal.

Not sure if the character in the blue banner could be a robot, or some sort of aviator archetype. Those eyes do look robotic, but it could be high tech goggles too, unlike green dude where they're linked to their face.

Edit:

According to some ARMS thread I've been reading Japanese fans calls the white dude in the character accidental leak 便所 or "toilet"

Ah whoops, my bad. Fixed.

Razmos

Edit:

I'm guessing she's a Poison Ivy like character, with her arms being vines with flowers at the end

Mandelbo

Single player's probably gonna be individual character stories as they progress through the tournament then, I imagine, like Street Fighter 4 arcade mode or something. Fine by me!

I mean that when I saw the idol line I thought it was just making fun of idol fans, but seeing the diet line and the fact that none of the male characters have weight jokes makes me think it's just sexist crap.

She runs a restaurant and is made out of noodles, it's obviously a joke about that

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I mean that when I saw the idol line I thought it was just making fun of idol fans, but seeing the diet line and the fact that none of the male characters have weight jokes makes me think it's just sexist crap.

Minmin is a RAMEN fighter. I don't think it's sexist to make a joke about the weight of the only fighter based on food, but I might be reading it wrong.

Boss Doggie

It's hilarious to see Chinese characters in a game with fictional language. Even Pokemon has that too.

her shtick is that she's a food themed character who also enjoys eating her mom's ramen

Jamie OD

There seems to be a little bit of Lucha Libre influence with the masks and use of bright colours everywhere.

According to some ARMS thread I've been reading Japanese fans calls the white dude in the character accidental leak 便所 or "toilet"

Ah whoops, my bad. Fixed.

I think that might just be the helmet shape. A toilet themed character would have arms much too much like Mr. Mummy!

...Unless he was a plumbing themed character, with rubber piping...

I'm guessing she's a Poison Ivy like character, with her arms being vines with flowers at the end

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. It would certain facilitate a poison element which is pretty typical, and could factor into given strategies. Ie, a relatively lightweight character, but just needs the one hit to leave someone hurting for a good few seconds.

Boss Doggie

also for people who are interested, Minmin's shoes!

C9XCy6RUQAAf1Oe.jpg

She's really bringing up the dragon motif.

jwk94

Doesn't that last character image have two fighters? The eyes on the left and the visor and gaping mouth on the right?

llehuty

Nice thread! Very interesting stuff

Doesn't that last character image have two fighters? The eyes on the left and the visor and gaping mouth on the right?
It's 2 and 2, with the picture in the middle being a more uncovered version of the one on the top, so a total of 4.

I agree with the analysis, but for some reason the official site didn't confirm the home stages for Ribbon Girl and Mechanica like the others yet.

TheSun

Good shit, good shit.

So based on the stage one of them is gonna be a genetic freak. I hope character rollout starts soon, lets put our speculation to the test.

I'm pulling for toilet bot.

Top Bottom