• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art From Cancelled Halo Wars 3 Pitch Released (Space Battles, X-COM Style Base)

Matt

Most likely not:

If you have multiple proposals/pitch one gets picked and the other are cancelled XD

Since they are pitching HW3 it's very likely Ms gave them a go.
You’re making an even bigger jump than those assuming this means the series is 100% dead.

Pitches for sequels when games are in dev in normal operating procedure.

I'd love a few space battle missions in HW3, hopefully it's something they'll seriously consider with kb/m support now a thing. HW2 DLC brought some great Flood moments to the series, so here's hoping HW3 can bring some of the great space battles (not counting that one mission in Reach) we've only read in books or viewed in cut-scenes to actual gameplay.

You’re making an even bigger jump than those assuming this means the series is 100% dead.

Pitches for sequels when games are in dev in normal operating procedure.

Even for a 3rd party contractor that showed no intention of continuing the series? I mean, there has to be at least a nod that they plan to continue with it, at least at the time the proposals were made.

Plasma

Banned
I know it's offtopic but turn based Halo Wars could actually catch my attention. I have zero interest in playing an RTS game on a console.
It would work really well with the story pre-Halo 1 as well, deciding which planets to prioritise saving similar to how X-COM works with the different nations.

Rymuth

Besides the MCC, how exactly?

fprFxhX.png

Admodieus

Halo Wars 2 didn't interest me at all, but space battles would make me immediately pay attention.

The problem is that the series needs to get more complex to grow, and it can't do that as long as it needs to support the XBox controller as an RTS. Rebooting it as a Windows 10 exclusive (like Age of Empires) would probably result in a better game.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I see this thread went immediately to outrage at MS “cancelling” a game. A game most people didn’t know existed, even on the drawing board, until today.

EvB

If the pc version didn't use their shit ass storefront instead of using Steam, they probably would have made some money on the sequel.

They released the original game on PC after years of PC gamers asking for it.

Not only did they release it on PC, but they released it on steam, where it sold a pitiful 123k.

Matt

Even for a 3rd party contractor that showed no intention of continuing the series? I mean, there has to be at least a nod that they plan to continue with it, at least at the time the proposals were made.

Sure, but that's a far cry from saying the series is "most likely" to continue.

Especially with how poorly HW2 did.

Vico

That could have been pretty cool!
Just beat Halo Wars 2's main campaign recently, and everything just feels "ok". It clearly lacked something new and surprising to make it stand out.

2 just came out and they already canned 3? The hell? Did Halo Wars 2 bomb or something?

I'm not sure it bombed, but I don't think it was an especially big success or anything. MS really only seems to be investing in hits, so I wouldn't be surprised if the third game was canned.

Although this could be just one pitch of several that wasn't successful. It's not really indicative of whether there will be a sequel by itself.

Sure, but that's a far cry from saying the series is "most likely" to continue.

Especially with how poorly HW2 did.

Fair enough.

On the bold, how poorly exactly did it do? I assumed at least decently given the expansions.

Edit:

I'm not sure it bombed, but I don't think it was an especially big success or anything. MS really only seems to be investing in hits, so I wouldn't be surprised if the third game was canned.

Although this could be just one pitch of several that wasn't successful. It's not really indicative of whether there will be a sequel by itself.

The first one itself wasn't that big of a hit, if that's all Ms was interested in investing we wouldn't even see 2 being made.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

They should be pushing more in areas like this. There’s a following, and sequels show commitment to the IP.

DocSeuss

Halo Wars 2 was not a great game. There were seeds there, but the narrative was weak, the mission variety kinda lacking, and the season pass one of the worst I've ever seen (it offers about 2 hours of gameplay for ~$40 because they pushed Firefight too hard).

Rather than developing a really good, lengthy campaign, we got... well, way too much emphasis on Firefight. Game pushes its multiplayer and cards way too hard. It's annoying and one of the reasons I don't enjoy booting the game up.

It's a big issue with a lot of Microsoft's games lately, if I'm being honest. I don't want some gigantic banner blocking the game when I boot it up, screaming about some new multiplayer update, asking me to spend more money. I was given the season pass. I have all the content. I don't need to be asked to buy it too. Can't it at least run a check to see if I own the content? jfc.

Space combat would have been incredible. And what is that, some kind of XCOM-style ant farm? Sounds amazing and way more in-depth than what we got with Halo Wars 2.

Boring campaign, boring story, awful multiplayer news feed, just as frustrating as Gears 4's and Halo 5's.

They released the original game on PC after years of PC gamers asking for it.

Not only did they release it on PC, but they released it on steam, where it sold a pitiful 123k.

/s?

123k in 6 months for a remaster of an RTS, one that had a soft launch on another storefront just a couple months prior, with little to no marketing or buzz doesn't seem that bad to me.

To compare, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, admittedly not a budget title, did ~204k in almost 2 years and Vanquish, an often requested PC port with the same price as Wars DE, is sitting at ~94k in 5 months from release.

blakep267

/s?

123k in 6 months for a remaster of an RTS, one that had a soft launch on another storefront just a couple months prior, with little to no marketing or buzz doesn't seem that bad to me.

To compare, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, admittedly not a budget title, did ~204k in almost 2 years and Vanquish, an often requested PC port with the same price as Wars DE, is sitting at ~94k in 5 months from release.
i think he's saying is that a $20 remaster didn't really set the world on fire so why would a $60 sequel do that

i think he's saying is that a $20 remaster didn't really set the world on fire so why would a $60 sequel do that

That makes more sense but I still think a bit it's a flawed comparison seeing as the game is still a low-profile, late port of a console-only RTS from 2009 which seemed to preform decently all things considered.

I do wonder what the overall expectations of Wars 2 were though. The RTS landscape has been cut down significantly since the original Halo Wars. You have to figure MS had lower expectations going in.

Matt

Fair enough.

On the bold, how poorly exactly did it do? I assumed at least decently given the expansions.

Edit:

The first one itself wasn't that big of a hit, if that's all Ms was interested in investing we wouldn't even see 2 being made.
The expansion was in development before the game was out.

If you consider the first game not “that big of a hit,” what would you call significantly worse numbers?

The expansion was in development before the game was out.

If you consider the first game not “that big of a hit,” what would you call significantly worse numbers?

First one was successful for sure, and perhaps for the genre specially in console space it was indeed a hit, but officially IIRC it landed over 1 million but less than (but close to) 2.

I'd say significant worse numbers would be the game not even breaking 500k after the first month. And a absolute flop if it still haven't.

Top Bottom