• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As White Nationalist in Charlottesville Fired, Police ‘Never Moved’

Is that a fucking blow torch lol
DHC6Y-OVYAEqKYn.jpg:large

http://www.theroot.com/interview-how-corey-long-fought-white-supremacy-with-f-1797831277
The guy holding it did an interview; he said it was a can of spray paint the nazis threw at him earlier.

riotous

Banned
In my experience it's par for the course to hold the line like that at these events. People can be beaten half to death in front of them and the cops dont budge. I watched someone get beaten to death on live TV a few yards from cops during the riots in Seattle after the WTO protest (I think it was Mardi Gras.) In that case it turned out to be opportunistic gang members robbing someone who resisted.

I would think a gun would change things, but in general it seems like Police are ordered not to emgage, up until the point they are ordered to start shooting rubber bullets and tear gas in unison.

Not saying it's right but I think its their training not some specific case of ignoring what the white suoremsciats are doing.

Id gladly be corrected though, but Ive attended and or watched dozens of events like these and more often than not Police watch and dont engage.

Protecting their interests.

Not much different from Klan rallies of the early 80s, when police protected Klansmen from counter-protesters and were conveniently "slow" to to the scene of Greensboro Massacre (when in reality, the Klansmen in the force just tipped other officers off to the planned movements of counter-protesters).

This is what happens when police accountability becomes an oxymoron.

WaterAstro

This is why, in many threads on GAF, where posters would say they would shoot to kill to defend themselves, I completely disagree with them.

Drawing the line of when to shoot should not even be considered. Good thing I live in a country that has proper gun laws.

Malvolio

How do I phrase my astonishment over the spray can flamethrower not being dealt with as well without sounding like I'm making a "both sides" argument?

Nydius

Look at all those permit holding "peaceful" protesters openly wearing body armor and carrying multiple handguns. They totally didn't go there with the intent to start shit, right Trump? Many sides and all that? Fuck.

As for the state troopers doing nothing, here's my shocked face... Want to see it again? It has been my experience that rural VA State Troopers are some racial-profiling, good-ol'-boy pieces of shit. Years ago when my then girlfriend was attending Radford and I'd drive out to visit once a month, I couldn't go a single trip without being pulled over and given shit by State Troopers in Nottoway County or Bedford County. College age kids driving solo in their counties were easy targets for harassment, regardless of race or gender.

None of those troopers moved because most of them probably secretly wished they were part of the alt-right protest themselves.

Strike

Wow, that's some restraint. Usually it takes a lot less for them to decide that their safety's at risk. I wonder what gives?

riotous

Banned
How do I phrase my astonishment over the spray can flamethrower not being dealt with as well without sounding like I'm making a "both sides" argument?

Read my post above for which i expect some controversy.

Its always been my understanding that cops dont engage for 2 reasons

1 - To protect themselves over the public
2 - To create a justification for a use of broad force and crowd dispersal methods (which again, really is designed to protect the cops)

They have no interest in protecting anyone they just want an excuse to roll out their military gear and use their toys

Speely

Banned

It was an improvised weapon used when being confronted by Nazis who arrived with guns and armor. There is nothing astonishing about it.

DogDude

Yeah the blow torch idiot clearly belongs in jail as well, no questioning that. Shooting a gun was some next level shit though

Read my post above for which i expect some controversy.

Its always been my understanding that cops dont engage for 2 reasons

1 - To protect themselves over the public
2 - To create a justification for a use of broad force and crowd dispersal methods (which again, really is designed to protect the cops)

They have no interest in protecting anyone they just want an excuse to roll out their military gear and use their toys
I get the distrust in the police force. But aren't state troopers a separate force. Or is that the national guard?

riotous

Banned
I get the distrust in the police force. But aren't state troopers a separate force. Or is that the national guard?

I don't know about the specific police at Cville.

At a protest I was at in Seattle they had cops dressed up like darth vader, couldn't see their faces, no identifiable marks like a number.

On my way out before they started peppering harmless protesters singing kumbaya and dancing like hippies I drove past a deserted street where they had cops following a tank like vehicle legit marching. Like kicking their knees up in unison.

Either way they outright let violence and property damage happen, which is why looting often happens.

Dreez

Such a cool pic.

The casualness of it cracks me up.. "yeah, I'll burn your shitty flag"

And then the senior just standing there next to him lol

Edit: oh

The 23-year-old elder care worker says he went to the counterprotests to have his voice heard.

If you look closely at Long's picture, there's an elderly white man standing in between Long and his friend. The unknown man was part of the counterprotests, too, but was afraid, and Long and his friends were trying to protect him.

Joe

That video is beyond crazy.

I'm either overreacting or people aren't realizing the content in the OP link.

Nabs

Did he also say "hey, nigger!" before shooting? Shit's wild. I don't know what to say. Imagine a black person doing this in front of police.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Yeah the blow torch idiot clearly belongs in jail as well, no questioning that. Shooting a gun was some next level shit though

http://www.theroot.com/interview-how-corey-long-fought-white-supremacy-with-f-1797831277

The 23-year-old elder care worker says he went to the counterprotests to have his voice heard. He didn’t want to see racism win and destroy the city he was raised in.

Long said the only weapon he had was a can of spray paint that a white supremacist threw at him earlier, so he took a lighter to the spray paint and turned it into a flame thrower. And a photographer snapped the photo.

But inside every photograph is an untold story. If you look closely at Long’s picture, there’s an elderly white man standing in between Long and his friend. The unknown man was part of the counterprotests, too, but was afraid, and Long and his friends were trying to protect him. Even though, Long says, those who were paid to protect the residents of Charlottesville were doing just the opposite.

“The cops were protecting the Nazis, instead of the people who live in the city,” Long said. “The cops basically just stood in their line and looked at the chaos. The cops were not protecting the people of Charlottesville. They were protecting the outsiders.”

KingV

Look at all those permit holding "peaceful" protesters openly wearing body armor and carrying multiple handguns. They totally didn't go there with the intent to start shit, right Trump? Many sides and all that? Fuck.

As for the state troopers doing nothing, here's my shocked face... Want to see it again? It has been my experience that rural VA State Troopers are some racial-profiling, good-ol'-boy pieces of shit. Years ago when my then girlfriend was attending Radford and I'd drive out to visit once a month, I couldn't go a single trip without being pulled over and given shit by State Troopers in Nottoway County or Bedford County. College age kids driving solo in their counties were easy targets for harassment, regardless of race or gender.

None of those troopers moved because most of them probably secretly wished they were part of the alt-right protest themselves.

That's the goddamn truth. If you are young with out of county stickers you will get tickets out the ass in rural Virginia.

D i Z

"White nationalists coming to fuck our shit up... I might need to turn a spray can into a flamethrower for a couple of seconds."

"Wait, they're firing of shots at "niggers"? Oh yeah, I need to do this right now."

PopeReal

Cops have picked their side at least.

Their lack of action against alt right nazi fuckboys while going in hard for messing up a statue says enough. I mean I shouldn't be surprised, but damn they don't even give a fuck about hiding it.

Con_Smith

Banned
In my experience it's par for the course to hold the line like that at these events. People can be beaten half to death in front of them and the cops dont budge. I watched someone get beaten to death on live TV a few yards from cops during the riots in Seattle after the WTO protest (I think it was Mardi Gras.) In that case it turned out to be opportunistic gang members robbing someone who resisted.

I would think a gun would change things, but in general it seems like Police are ordered not to emgage, up until the point they are ordered to start shooting rubber bullets and tear gas in unison.

Not saying it's right but I think its their training not some specific case of ignoring what the white suoremsciats are doing.

Id gladly be corrected though, but Ive attended and or watched dozens of events like these and more often than not Police watch and dont engage.

Seen a couple after black people had been killed bye cops. They seemed pretty eager to engage and intimidate.

GrapeApes

This article title is terrible. I'd have never guessed they were talking about someone shooting a fucking gun at counter protestors. How did it take 2 weeks for this to even come public? Never heard shit about this before today.

watershed

Banned
It's called tacit approval. Police already specialize in terrorizing black communities. These nazis were just volunteering.

Top Bottom