• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - Review Thread

YeSp

Neo Member
AC Unity is true next-gen. In fact, it is SO next-gen that it isn't even finished yet! I like to be on the cutting edge and I appreciate that Ubisoft is making games that it is still making, even weeks after you've beaten them.

I also love the forced integration with an app as well as a website. How that works is that you sign in with your uplay account to experience so many error messages that last gen could never display on screen at one time.

The game itself (no spoilers) centers around Arno, an Assasin in search of locked chests that require a cell phone game with micro transactions to open. You level him up by "hacking" into your bank account to drain real money at 60 FPS. The rest of the game runs at a solid 12 FPS which is TWICE as cinematic as a movie... No small feat! Once you've completed "playing" a website on your computer, Arno is finally ready to fall through the ground and enter a white abyss... The core challenge of the game, these moments where you simply fall into the sky that accurately existed under 1700's Paris, are some of the most nail-biting moments in any game ever made... Will the game crash? Will you have to hard reset your console? Results are random, so it will always be a surprise!

Many people just won't "get" this evolution of Assassin's Creed and should spend their time opening up a history book instead. It is there they could read up on Paris' floating people and long battle with pop-in. Even today, many Parisians only exist after you've already walked past them. It is these small details that Ubisoft has nailed and they deserve applause with tons of random audio pops just as you'd hear in the game's cinematics.

After playing this gem, I've decided to fly to Montreal tomorrow to begin playing 2018's Assassin's Creed 9. Unity's only shortcoming was that it was a little TOO finished, so I am hoping the Ubisoft guys will let me plug my controller into a broken vending machine in their studio that simply eats dollars that I put into it without delivering.
Amazing!

bfl.gif

NBtoaster

I still want to explore revolutionary Paris, and apparently that's the best aspect of the game. Though the twitchy climbing is kind of concerning.

I'll get it eventually.

Astral Dog

The series could do with a rest for a couple of years imo.

They are likely working on the next Assasins Creed right now.

And,for all the shit they get, if Ubisoft didnt released their yearly AC game, there would be many layoffs.

The good thing is that even if they release their supposed patch, it would not affect Meatcritic.

Herne

Come on, guys. Yes, there are technical faults, parity issues and microtransactions, but it's a solid game underneath.

You're right, but it feels like an old game to me, as if whatever was new to the series in the planning stages has not touched the actual game design. The gameplay feels exactly the same as it always has, and it was getting old before Unity arrived on the scene. It's disappointing in that respect.

My mate picked this up yesterday and I watched him play it for about 4 hours. The only Assassins Creed game i've bought was part 1 and it was ok but wasn't anything great for me. Unity actually looks pretty good, the graphics are incredible and the story actually seems quite engaging which is a surprise as I don't normally care for this sort of subject matter (period pieces etc).

We didn't notice any problems with the game, there were some small clipping issues, and a couple of times the game sorta paused for a couple of seconds with a few graphical anomalies but then would go back to normal (looked like it was in some intensive indoor parts where heaps of textures were being loaded in). I don't like the Assassins Creed games and I hate Ubisoft as a company but all the uproar about this game seems very unjust.

Destiny was a piece of shit game polished to a sheen, whereas Unity is a good game that hasn't been given much polish at all. Atleast the content is there, patches etc will fix the small shortcomings it currently has....and really that's all I could see wrong with the game. Sure there might be other stuff later on but if you are into the Assassins Creed games I think you're missing out if you let that stuff get in the way of a pretty decent experience.

Courage

Ouch. This makes it sound like even if it weren't a buggy mess it would still only be a 3/5.

I don't get that though. It follows the same format as ACIV, sans ships, pirates and annoying tail missions, and they adored that game. It was Alex that reviewed it too.

Unless the story/setting left that much of an impact last time.

WarMacheen

Just saw a Unity commercial with quotes from USA Today lol.

Anyway it said "amazing"

The escapist said it was "Wicked Fun".....in an October 6th preview and was in reference to a co op missing as provided by Ubi.

I went to the USA Today review, ctrl F, amazing, 0 of 0.

Probably came from a preview, which is pretty deceptive on UBI's part if true.

Went and looked for that...still can't find anything...so where and when did USA Today call Unity "amazing"

At this point we all know the game has some serious issues, but I still find advertising with cherry picked words, not even related to the released game, deceitful.

Did I see the commercial wrong?

USA Today

EDIT: Nope didn't see it wrong

ACUamazing_zpsd67dba12.png

Courage

Anyway it said "amazing"

The escapist said it was "Wicked Fun".....in an October 6th preview and was in reference to a co op missing as provided by Ubi.

Went and looked for that...still can't find anything...so where and when did USA Today call Unity "amazing"

At this point we all know the game has some serious issues, but I still find advertising with cherry picked words, not even related to the released game, deceitful.

USA Today

holy shit lmao. Can't find a preview stating it either.

EDIT: Found something here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2014/06/10/e3-ubisoft-conference/10269147/

3. Assassin's Creed still looks amazing. We know a new title in this stealthy series is launching every year. Yet, each time, it seems to draw strong buzz. Previous years, it was incredible naval warfare. This time, it's watching the lead assassin blend in to heavily populated spaces during the French Revolution. Plus, the game adds four-player cooperative action.

They're really grasping at straws.

It's feels rushed, it has technical issues but the game itself is great. Ifr you like AC than you will love this game. It's a mix between AC1 and AC2. It's also the best looking next gen game at the moment, imo.

Nanashrew

Banned

Anyway it said "amazing"

USA Today

Not the only thing. The word "Alive" from Destructoid is nowhere in their AC: Unity review, but it is in their E3 preview of AC: Unity.

Review: http://www.destructoid.com/review-assassin-s-creed-unity-283448.phtml

E3 preview: http://www.destructoid.com/assassin...iveliness-of-revolutionary-paris-276334.phtml

I can't seem to find Game Informers quote? I guess it could have been in their magazine or something else. Either way "A Massive Playground" is nowhere in the review online. Strange, since GI gave it a good score of 8.

About the only quote that comes from a review is GameRevolution in that commercial.

EDIT: I was just shown this link with the quote in question. From GI, June 11th 2014 http://www.gameinformer.com/games/a...eed-to-know-about-assassin-s-creed-unity.aspx

PC Gamer was not kind to this game in their review:

http://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-unity-review/

65/100
"Initiates chests are littered all over Paris. If you try to open one the game minimizes itself, opens your browser and attempts to connect to the Initiates site."

Are you fucking kidding me? I haven't played an AssCreed game in a while and I'm glad I'm not missing anything. It's also been a while since I've seen a AAA game shit the bed so gloriously hard. GG Ubisoft. Wow.

Bedlam

"Initiates chests are littered all over Paris. If you try to open one the game minimizes itself, opens your browser and attempts to connect to the Initiates site.
Haha! This game is like a parody of everything that's wrong with today's videogames. Except, Ubisoft is serious with all of it, which makes it even more hilarious.

I also found it pretty funny when Jeff wondered on the latest Bombcast whether the microtransaction stuff in the game was real or not because it sounded too bad to be true.

ItIsOkBro

Not the only thing. The word "Alive" from Destructoid is nowhere in their AC: Unity review, but it is in their E3 preview of AC: Unity.

Review: http://www.destructoid.com/review-assassin-s-creed-unity-283448.phtml

E3 preview: http://www.destructoid.com/assassin...iveliness-of-revolutionary-paris-276334.phtml

I can't seem to find Game Informers quote? I guess it could have been in their magazine or something else. Either way "A Massive Playground" is nowhere in the review online. Strange, since GI gave it a good score of 8.

About the only quote that comes from a review is GameRevolution in that commercial.

EDIT: I was just shown this link with the quote in question. From GI, June 11th 2014 http://www.gameinformer.com/games/a...eed-to-know-about-assassin-s-creed-unity.aspx

The worst thing is aren't previews heavily informed by Ubisoft? This is basically Ubisoft planting words and then using them back in an ad.

Top Bottom