• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asus’ next ROG Ally handheld will be the ROG Ally X

Draugoth

Gold Member

The Asus ROG Ally was the first true Steam Deck challenger; while I’d argue it fell a little short, it legitimately improved the state of affordable Windows handheld gaming with its plugged-in performance boosts and smooth variable refresh rate screen. Now, Asus is beginning to reveal its successor: the ROG Ally X.
Don’t call it an Ally 2: when it ships in the second half of the year

Don’t call it an Ally 2: when it ships in the second half of the year, the Windows-based Ally X will have the same AMD Z1 Extreme chipset and the same 7-inch 48–120Hz VRR screen. It’s not quite like the Steam Deck OLED, where Valve got AMD to revise its chip for better battery life and stability and added a larger, brighter, gorgeous new OLED panel with improved response time and slimmer bezels.

Last edited:
I'll pass seen as there's little improvement. Interested in one of these windows handhelds but I may as well wait it out for the next generation now

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So today was just an preview "HINT" of the announcement. If you watched it he did state there are more surprises but that for the official announcement on June 2nd, and that you will like what you see.

I am assuming that a big hint to it having an OLED screen but they want to hold for official releases.

More RAM options is also a good choice. Just depends on the cost.

Might as well grab the OG Ally when it gets on a clearance sale........

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Hohenheim

Definitly getting this as my on the go Game Pass machine. This improves nicely on the original Ally, and i'm fine with it not doing anything drastic new. Better battery is great.

Never quite got comfortable with the Legion Go.
The Oled Deck will still be my go-to handheld for most stuff though.

been tempted to get one, but with all the reports of bad hardware i've left it, and the bad support from ASUS not worth spending the money on. I'll just get a switch 2

Sleepwalker

Just pray it doesn’t break because if you have to send it back to ASUS… Mind you I do have the OG Ally and it works fine, but nobody should be supporting ASUS bullshit at this juncture.

giphy.gif
Yup.

More interested in a Legion Go. Hopefully they have a revision for it in the next year or two.

Ozriel

M$FT
Just pray it doesn’t break because if you have to send it back to ASUS… Mind you I do have the OG Ally and it works fine, but nobody should be supporting ASUS bullshit at this juncture.

giphy.gif

Odds of that happening are slim. Most of the issues with the OG Ally came from the SD card reader failures. One assumes that’s comprehensively fixed in this revision.

An 80wh battery, paired with more and faster VRAM will make this the best specced handheld out there on release.

Do these devices also run Steam? Or is that exclusive to the Steamdeck?

Every handheld PC runs Steam. It’s the de facto PC store

Hohenheim

giphy.gif
This is not a problem in Europe at least. If something breaks you return it where you brought it, and get a new one. For a small extra insurance fee, you get a new one for up to four years no matter the damage (broken screen etc included).
And we all know that within those years there's gonna be several new models we need anyways:)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Should have gone with ally L for lame. No oled? Same screen size?

Definitly getting this as my on the go Game Pass machine. This improves nicely on the original Ally, and i'm fine with it not doing anything drastic new. Better battery is great.

Never quite got comfortable with the Legion Go.
The Oled Deck will still be my go-to handheld for most stuff though.

Do you have an xbox? If so gamepass games streamed via xbplay on the steam deck oled is very close to local play.

Gambit2483

Odds of that happening are slim. Most of the issues with the OG Ally came from the SD card reader failures. One assumes that’s comprehensively fixed in this revision.

An 80wh battery, paired with more and faster VRAM will make this the best specced handheld out there on release.

Every handheld PC runs Steam. It’s the de facto PC store
Thanks, wasn't sure if there was an advantage of going with Steamdeck over a Handheld PC (asides from the obvious custom steam support/setup)

rob305

Should have gone with ally L for lame. No oled? Same screen size?
This is a small refresh, like a pro version. I bet this is just going to replace the OG ally and come in at 699. I think there was a leak about a true successor (ROG Ally 2) being planned but its still further out

Hohenheim

Do you have an xbox? If so gamepass games streamed via xbplay on the steam deck oled is very close to local play.
No, I sold my Xbox Series X a while ago.
Didn't really have a need for it because of PC Game Pass. Also, I know streaming is getting better these days, but I still avoid it like the plague.

THE DUCK

No, I sold my Xbox Series X a while ago.
Didn't really have a need for it because of PC Game Pass. Also, I know streaming is getting better these days, but I still avoid it like the plague.

I haven't tried with moonlight but I do see from a quick Google search that moonlight works with gamepass well with the Steam Deck for local streaming.
Between the low latency oled screen and using local streaming vs online streaming, you might be shocked at how good it is. Definately much better than any cloud streaming.

The advantage is all your games with no storage issues, better graphics, much better battery life.

Klosshufvud

People who express disappointment in lack of chip revision while pointing to Steam Deck OLED, you guys realize that the Z1E blows the "revised" Deck chip out the water right? The type of performance you're getting with Z1E at higher wattages with modern games is substantially superior to Steam Deck.

I think this revision is great. The bigger battery will allow for a higher base TDP which means a huge performance boost for same battery life. Z1E was always held back by poor battery and I made those complaints the day the original Rog Ally was revealed. The battery could simply not support the type of wattages these chips require to really shine. I hope for a minimum 70Wh battery. That would allow for over 2 hours of gameplay at 20W TDP, which gives you really, really good handheld performance. Even at 15W TDP, we're looking at performances that are good. I find no reason why they should try to revise the chip. There is no better technology out there. Rog can't invent something that doesn't exist. It's already on 4nm using the latest AMD CPU and GPU technologies.

//DEVIL//

Yeah. I am keeping my white ally and not selling for this.

I already bought an adapter and put 2280 nvme on the console .

I don’t care if the battery is double the performance to be honest. I am mostly plugged in. Even if I am outside and I take it with me, I just plug it for the most part.

Would rather have a lighter system over bigger battery.

Wish the screen was abit bigger to cover the bezels but it’s not even that and same processor.

The only increase that I see as a benefit is the ram. But how that will affect the performance 2 or 3 frames ? Any heavy game I have to play at lower than full HD so I can get 60 fps plus . Lowering the resolution reduces the memory foothold.

Hell I am not even using 6 gigs out of 16 in MW3.

There might be some cases where the ram might be useful ? But honestly extra weight and increase of price is not a plus at all

Cyberpunkd

People who express disappointment in lack of chip revision while pointing to Steam Deck OLED, you guys realize that the Z1E blows the "revised" Deck chip out the water right? The type of performance you're getting with Z1E at higher wattages with modern games is substantially superior to Steam Deck.
I will take low performance for quiet operation and more battery life.

Fallout 4? Whisper quiet and 4 hours
Skyrim? Whisper quiet and 5 hours

//DEVIL//

Its massive and its updates are lacking. Not to mention apparent issues with the vertical style LCD screen. Detachable controllers are cool though.
No they are not. The dpad is not good for fighting games. The buttons on the back are not only useless, they are in the way of holding the thing properly.

Doesn’t even have AFMF ( frame generation on a system level ) due to the screen ratio not compatible .

Sound is shit. Fan is shitter and loud as fuck.

Useless system

Calverz

Gold Member
No they are not. The dpad is not good for fighting games. The buttons on the back are not only useless, they are in the way of holding the thing properly.

Doesn’t even have AFMF ( frame generation on a system level ) due to the screen ratio not compatible .

Sound is shit. Fan is shitter and loud as fuck.

Useless system
I haven't held one to know either way but the size of it put me off and the dpad didn't sound great.

Klosshufvud

I will take low performance for quiet operation and more battery life.

Fallout 4? Whisper quiet and 4 hours
Skyrim? Whisper quiet and 5 hours
While it's true that the 7840U/Z1E chip handhelds require slightly more juice at lowest range TDPs for similar performance, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to pull off the same on those handhelds for the mentioned games. Maybe Ally 1,0 struggled due to a criminally small battery size but even then those games probably ran fine at sub 10W TPD range.

//DEVIL//

I haven't held one to know either way but the size of it put me off and the dpad didn't sound great.
Its ok. My friend got one while he was trading with someone facebook in marketplace. he asked me if I want to trade my Ally for his system ( plus 100$ on top to offset the balance difference between the 2 systems ).

Not only I don't think it's worth the 100$ difference, its not even worth the trade head on without any cash.

The ally honestly is superior to it in everything. The only 2 good things Lenovo has is

1- the extra 30 mins on avarage battery usage if you are portable
2- the bigger beautiful screen if you are into that.

and even these 2 points are not really an advantage. the screen is big but doesnt have VRR, and for a system with this kind of power, VRR is 100% needed.

the extra battery makes your system is heavy to carry, add do that to the weight of the cable while its charging so you can play longer session ? you are screwed.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Until Asus fixes their customer support. I won’t buy any of their products. I miss EVGA, they had the best support!
Yep, it’s insane to keep rewarding this shit company that is actively scamming their customers. First was AM4 bullshit with their motherboards, but this takes the cake.

They are actively breaking customer devices and charging for unnecessary repairs. Whether or not you can return the driver to retailer in EU, you should not reward such behavior.

And yeah, I miss EVGA as well.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I think this revision is great. The bigger battery will allow for a higher base TDP which means a huge performance boost for same battery life. Z1E was always held back by poor battery and I made those complaints the day the original Rog Ally was revealed. The battery could simply not support the type of wattages these chips require to really shine. I hope for a minimum 70Wh battery. That would allow for over 2 hours of gameplay at 20W TDP, which gives you really, really good handheld performance. Even at 15W TDP, we're looking at performances that are good. I find no reason why they should try to revise the chip. There is no better technology out there. Rog can't invent something that doesn't exist. It's already on 4nm using the latest AMD CPU and GPU technologies.

But without an oled screen, all of your games look worse. And the controls are worse too, unless they improve them. It would have been nice to see a new chip but I don't think anything new has been released, like you said.

Calverz

Gold Member
Its ok. My friend got one while he was trading with someone facebook in marketplace. he asked me if I want to trade my Ally for his system ( plus 100$ on top to offset the balance difference between the 2 systems ).

Not only I don't think it's worth the 100$ difference, its not even worth the trade head on without any cash.

The ally honestly is superior to it in everything. The only 2 good things Lenovo has is

1- the extra 30 mins on avarage battery usage if you are portable
2- the bigger beautiful screen if you are into that.

and even these 2 points are not really an advantage. the screen is big but doesnt have VRR, and for a system with this kind of power, VRR is 100% needed.

the extra battery makes your system is heavy to carry, add do that to the weight of the cable while its charging so you can play longer session ? you are screwed.
Yes the vrr makes a huge difference on the ally. I noticed this immediately coming from steam deck.

Top Bottom