• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

negitoro7

I'm about ready to file a lawsuit against the performance shop that has been working on my car. A fucking a two day job turns into almost 2 months and I get my car back for a second time today and more fucking problems. First time I got my car back was after a month in the shop. That time I got it back pissing oil, missing center wheel caps, ding on door, long scratch on rear bumper, and my dashboard was lighting up like a Christmas tree. Almost got into a fight after a huge argument when bringing the car back the first time but thought we straightened everything out. Now after two additional weeks I get the car back with the front grill glued on, scratch on bumper still there, dash pieces glued together (no fucking idea why they even took that apart), car slightly overheating when driving home, and covered in bird shit. Needed to vent somewhere but this is some bullshit.

That sounds like a nightmare and not something they're doing by accident anymore. Sorry to hear, good luck man.

So I moved to India this year and cars are fricken expensive over here, especially the imported ones. When it comes to performance cars, there aren't many options, at least not in the bracket that I'm looking, which is $55,000-60,000(35-40 Lakh Rupees).

In that price range, the one I'm almost about to pull the trigger on is a 2013 used Audi S4 that is driven 27,000 miles for $57k. It rolls in with a 333HP with 440nm Torque(I happened to read that it is quite an underrate engine). Note that this is quite a rare car over here and across all of India, there is only one used available at the moment. The car has also been discontinued officially as the new S5 was launched couple of months back. Cost of a brand new Audi S5, which has the same performance specs as the 2013 S4 is $100k-110k(65+ Lakh Rupees).

Audi-S4_2013_800x600_wallpaper_0f-1.jpg

Audi-S4-at-the-Buddh-International-Circuit-1.jpg

Audi-S4-at-the-Buddh-International-Circuit-2.jpg

Audi-S4-at-the-Buddh-International-Circuit-3.jpg

The Polo GTI, a hatch that is smaller than the Golf is rumored to be launched sometime in mid 2016, the regular Polo already exists but the more powerful one is yet to come. Specs are 180HP with a 250nm Torque, will be launched brand new around the price of $30,000(20 Lakh Rupees). This car has already been spotted testing in India.

20150725035515_polo1.jpg

Volkswagen-Polo-GTI-Spied-in-India-2.jpg

The other car that I considered would be the BMW 530d and to find a used one from 2013 Oct which is when it had a facelift(LCI) costs north of $75,000(50+ Lakh Rupees) depending on the mileage driven. That budget would be an over stretch for me and even if I were wait for al little and purchase it, the 5 Series is a little too big or long for the city traffic here where I spend decent amount of time.

Same is the case with the CLA 45 AMG, a less mileage and mint one costs more than $75000(50 Lakh Rupees).

Considering the fact that spares and anything that has to do with Audi here in India would be expensive, my question is, how reliable is this car? I've owned BMW's in the past but never owned an Audi, so just looking at the reliability and long term concern of the brand and this car in particular. Keep in mind that this car is a CBU, which means it is built outside of India and imported by Audi India itself.

Basically help me purchase a car, I really want to go for the S4. Let me know your inputs and suggestions guys, thanks.

I'm about ready to file a lawsuit against the performance shop that has been working on my car. A fucking a two day job turns into almost 2 months and I get my car back for a second time today and more fucking problems. First time I got my car back was after a month in the shop. That time I got it back pissing oil, missing center wheel caps, ding on door, long scratch on rear bumper, and my dashboard was lighting up like a Christmas tree. Almost got into a fight after a huge argument when bringing the car back the first time but thought we straightened everything out. Now after two additional weeks I get the car back with the front grill glued on, scratch on bumper still there, dash pieces glued together (no fucking idea why they even took that apart), car slightly overheating when driving home, and covered in bird shit. Needed to vent somewhere but this is some bullshit.

Jesus! This is my huge fear in my car life. Terrible shops are the worst! What was the actual install?

matmanx1

That sounds pretty messed up. I don't know anything about lawsuits for work done but it definitely sounds like you have gotten a raw deal in terms of how they treated your car. You have my sympathies. If it were me, I would be pretty devastated because I am quite anal about who works on my car and the condition that they leave it in when they are done.

2017-Audi-Q7-114-876x535.jpg

Audi...wtf? Why is there is a big giant vent running across your entire dash panel? That is just bleehhhhhh

Yeah, that's just silly. It doesn't even look good so I don't understand why it's there.

So I moved to India this year and cars are fricken expensive over here, especially the imported ones. When it comes to performance cars, there aren't many options, at least not in the bracket that I'm looking, which is $55,000-60,000(35-40 Lakh Rupees).

In that price range, the one I'm almost about to pull the trigger on is a 2013 used Audi S4 that is driven 27,000 miles for $57k. It rolls in with a 333HP with 440nm Torque(I happened to read that it is quite an underrate engine). Note that this is quite a rare car over here and across all of India, there is only one used available at the moment. The car has also been discontinued officially as the new S5 was launched couple of months back. Cost of a brand new Audi S5, which has the same performance specs as the 2013 S4 is $100k-110k(65+ Lakh Rupees).

Audi-S4_2013_800x600_wallpaper_0f-1.jpg

Audi-S4-at-the-Buddh-International-Circuit-1.jpg

Audi-S4-at-the-Buddh-International-Circuit-2.jpg

Audi-S4-at-the-Buddh-International-Circuit-3.jpg

The Polo GTI, a hatch that is smaller than the Golf is rumored to be launched sometime in mid 2016, the regular Polo already exists but the more powerful one is yet to come. Specs are 180HP with a 250nm Torque, will be launched brand new around the price of $30,000(20 Lakh Rupees). This car has already been spotted testing in India.

20150725035515_polo1.jpg

Volkswagen-Polo-GTI-Spied-in-India-2.jpg

The other car that I considered would be the BMW 530d and to find a used one from 2013 Oct which is when it had a facelift(LCI) costs north of $75,000(50+ Lakh Rupees) depending on the mileage driven. That budget would be an over stretch for me and even if I were wait for al little and purchase it, the 5 Series is a little too big or long for the city traffic here where I spend decent amount of time.

Same is the case with the CLA 45 AMG, a less mileage and mint one costs more than $75000(50 Lakh Rupees).

Considering the fact that spares and anything that has to do with Audi here in India would be expensive, my question is, how reliable is this car? I've owned BMW's in the past but never owned an Audi, so just looking at the reliability and long term concern of the brand and this car in particular. Keep in mind that this car is a CBU, which means it is built outside of India and imported by Audi India itself.

Basically help me purchase a car, I really want to go for the S4. Let me know your inputs and suggestions guys, thanks.

The S4 is a very nice car but as with all things German and imported the maintenance and repair bills will be a factor. If you have the means and a trusted mechanic then I would seriously consider it. Just make sure you know what you are getting in to in terms of cost of ownership over a multi-year basis. There are lots of forums out there that would probably have good info to read, stuff like quattroworld and audiworld and even s4forum for that specific model. Good luck!

The S4 is a very nice car but as with all things German and imported the maintenance and repair bills will be a factor. If you have the means and a trusted mechanic then I would seriously consider it. Just make sure you know what you are getting in to in terms of cost of ownership over a multi-year basis. There are lots of forums out there that would probably have good info to read, stuff like quattroworld and audiworld and even s4forum for that specific model. Good luck!

Thanks, I will check over those forums for more insight.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I've been looking at compact sedans for a while now, and the one I'm leaning towards is the new Honda Civic. Looks good, performance is pretty good, and it's priced right.

The Focus and Dart are getting too dated and the new Cruze isn't available until spring, and I'm looking to buy now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've been looking at compact sedans for a while now, and the one I'm leaning towards is the new Honda Civic. Looks good, performance is pretty good, and it's priced right.

The Focus and Dart are getting too dated and the new Cruze isn't available until spring, and I'm looking to buy now.

Test drive a Fit and a Mazda 3.

matmanx1

I hear the new Civic's are very good. That being said, the Mazda 3 would be my first choice as well. You get a real auto transmission and not a CVT (unless you are going with a stick, which not many people get these days) which is a big plus in my book. Let us know how the search goes.

FStop7

Banned
My aunt bought me Forza 6 for Christmas. I'd avoided buying it myself because I didn't like the demo. I'm really glad she bought it because otherwise I would have missed out. I spent the whole day doing hot laps, just trying to beat my own best times. I also did a bunch of P1 vs. FLF stuff. Turn 10 did a pretty awesome job of capturing the personalities of those two cars, at least as they're described by pretty much everyone who's reviewed them. And they nailed the sound, too. The Ferrari sounds nearly identical to the real thing.

Even with traction and stability controls enabled the Ferrari is constantly trying to kill you. You can do 10 identical laps on the same track and the car will try to get away from you in different ways each lap. With the P1 any misbehavior of the car is a direct result of you having done something wrong. With the Ferrari it not only punishes your mistakes it also does crazy things of its own accord. But that inconsistency makes it a lot more fun. It's way easier to get a fast lap out of the McLaren. I think the Ferrari can be equally quick on a perfect lap but it'll never be as consistent. But I'd take the Ferrari over the P1 every time.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Fuuuuuuuck

Went to town this morning, putted out of my driveway and down my tiny road. Cold ass morning, went to crank up the heat and right when I look down WHAM, I hit something. Stop the car, get out, and its a chunk of ice left behind by a plow that was frozen in the middle of the road. Pushed in my driverside foglight, just over the lower intercooler piping, and cracked my bumper. Shit.

I've been looking all morning but no luck finding oem bumpers. Any suggestions? '13 evo x.

Fuuuuuuuck

Went to town this morning, putted out of my driveway and down my tiny road. Cold ass morning, went to crank up the heat and right when I look down WHAM, I hit something. Stop the car, get out, and its a chunk of ice left behind by a plow that was frozen in the middle of the road. Pushed in my driverside foglight, just over the lower intercooler piping, and cracked my bumper. Shit.

I've been looking all morning but no luck finding oem bumpers. Any suggestions? '13 evo x.

Zip-tie stitching. You know you want to try it.

op_ivy

Zip-tie stitching. You know you want to try it.
May as well.

FYI, the fog light works. I snapped it back into place, kind of (couple broken fasteners). Almost lost a finger in the process.

Serious though, where can I order a replacement bumper cover and what would it cost to get painted if I can't get it painted directly from mitsu?

May as well.

FYI, the fog light works. I snapped it back into place, kind of (couple broken fasteners). Almost lost a finger in the process.

Serious though, where can I order a replacement bumper cover and what would it cost to get painted if I can't get it painted directly from mitsu?

I'm gonna say $3500, OEM parts and labor.

Note: I've never owned a mitsubishi, worked in a parts store, paint shop or body shop, so this is mostly a The Price is Right! style guess.

Anion

Dang, and I thought I had a bad day. I ended up scratching the bottom front spoiler of my car...what kills me is that I barely drive her and I already scratched it up. Ill have to get some film or something when I get it fixed up in the spring.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a 2016 Camaro SS.

Aw congrats man. Better come back with pics

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
Please post impressions when you receive it! Im seriously considering the 2016 camaro v6 as the ss is out of my price range. I figure it'd be quite an upgrade from my base model 2012 chevy cruze.
Will do, it's supposed to be here on Tuesday. I got the 2SS in Mosaic Black with the Adrenaline Red interior, NPP dual mode exhaust, Magnetic Ride, and Nav. I had a 2012 SS that I sold and a 2015 Z/28, so I'm really excited to see how this compares.

Nice! Just saw one in person a few days ago. They look mean! Also the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.
I can't believe the reviews that it has been getting. There was a column about how blown away the reviewers have been in this month's Automobile.

The Civic is the sensible choice for value retention and reliability. Only heard good things about it.

thought I would share my project in a bit more of detail
5nqD6gw.png

qFlvVz5.png

I put a newer Toyota 2.4 in my 91 toyota MR2.

its only about 170hp and 175tq right now, but I plan on building and turboing the engine after it gets running and smogged. there is also a factory TRD supercharger I am thinking of using instead.

its a challenge putting in an engine no one has ever put into the chassis.

op_ivy

I'm gonna say $3500, OEM parts and labor.

Note: I've never owned a mitsubishi, worked in a parts store, paint shop or body shop, so this is mostly a The Price is Right! style guess.
I found this, but I don't think it's actually oem.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...volution_GSR/4_Cyl_2-dot-0L/REPMB010303P.html

Does it matter? Is this going to be cheaper materials with a poor fit? If its really going to be anywhere your price for me to happy I guess that's what insurance is for.

qFlvVz5.png

its only about 170hp and 175tq right now, but I plan on building and turboing the engine after it gets running and smogged. there is also a factory TRD supercharger I am thinking of using instead.

Well that's an interesting swap. What are you using for transmission/axles/ect? What car is that from?

I really regret selling my mr2. I also had everything needed for a 3sgte swap, but I sold it all like an idiot.

Well that's an interesting swap. What are you using for transmission/axles/ect? What car is that from?

I really regret selling my mr2. I also had everything needed for a 3sgte swap, but I sold it all like an idiot.

its the 2AZFE, came in Camry, Scion TC Rav4, people have been able to make good numbers on this engine, even well into the 1500hp range.

yea my last MR2 was a turbo so when I get this running and then some boost on it I cant wait to see how it compares with this newer lightweight engine.

Bandit1

So I just watched Mad Max Fury Road and now I want to build a post-apocalyptic off-road muscle car lol.

mad-max-fury-road.jpg

Looking around on the internet, it didn't take long for me to stumble upon this (off) Roadrunner:

pwstqli9cdkiqfd8qgow.gif

Off-Road Runner - Dirt Every Day

I do have a rough and rusty Trans Am body sitting around. Hmm...

matmanx1

5nqD6gw.png

qFlvVz5.png

If you can get it well sorted then it should be a proper little beast. I love the early 90's mr2's so I am definitely interested in how your project will turn out.

Mistel

Banned
I do have a rough and rusty Trans Am body sitting around. Hmm...
If you're talking about the 73 Formula if you're thinking of using that then it would be cool to use it in NORRA 1000 vintage production class where as far as i'm aware a Formula hasn't been raced at all if that's your cup of tea. On the slightly cheaper end of the budget SCCA rallies with a Formula would be cool.

Bandit1

If you're talking about the 73 Formula if you're thinking of using that then it would be cool to use it in NORRA 1000 vintage production class where as far as i'm aware a Formula hasn't been raced at all if that's your cup of tea. On the slightly cheaper end of the budget SCCA rallies with a Formula would be cool.

The 73 Formula is rough and rusty too but I have a 79 T/A that had a tree fall across the trunk area, floors are rusty, interior is shot. I don't know much about off-roading, competition would be fun, but I'd just want something to rip down dirt roads in and not worry about keeping it nice. This car caught my eye a few weeks back though:

1964 Galaxie

March-Meet-Spotlights-19-copy-1200x800.jpg

No Love

Banned
Fuuuuuuuck

Lol just go get it fixed at a bumper shop. Not even that bad.

Mistel

Banned
The 73 Formula is rough and rusty too but I have a 79 T/A that had a tree fall across the trunk area, floors are rusty, interior is shot. I don't know much about off-roading, competition would be fun, but I'd just want something to rip down dirt roads in and not worry about keeping it nice. This car caught my eye a few weeks back though:

1964 Galaxie

March-Meet-Spotlights-19-copy-1200x800.jpg
Galaxie de Baja is very impressive its been quite successful too. A 79 T/A should be pretty fine for dirt roads even if it's saddled with a 403 probably better with a 400 though as you can actually do stuff without it grenading.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The new Camaros have been shitting on the new Mustang from high atop the tallest mountains. Their 1/4 miles and trap-speeds are in two different leagues, as are the track times. How Ford thought it was a good idea to release this Mustang as is, is beyond me considering what the competition brought to the table a year later.

The 5.0 Coyote is a great motor for what it is, but it already feels heavily antiquated compared to the new LT. I've been thinking that if anything the GT350 should've been the standard Mustang GT.

Still a shame that, imo, both care look either meh or completely redundant and outdated.

matmanx1

The new Camaros have been shitting on the new Mustang from high atop the tallest mountains. Their 1/4 miles and trap-speeds are in two different leagues, as are the track times. How Ford thought it was a good idea to release this Mustang as is, is beyond me considering what the competition brought to the table a year later.

The 5.0 Coyote is a great motor for what it is, but it already feels heavily antiquated compared to the new LT. I've been thinking that if anything the GT350 should've been the standard Mustang GT.

Still a shame that, imo, both cars look either meh or completely redundant and outdated.

While everything you say is absolutely the truth the fact is that the Camaro has almost always outperformed the Mustang in terms of raw numbers. And yet the Mustang almost always sells more units simply because it has the mystique of being the original pony car with a whole lot of nostalgia attached.

Both still have significant flaws, in my mind, in terms of what I consider to be an ideal sports car but then again my tastes differ wildly from the average American consumer. And the folks who are buying Mustangs and Camaros seem to be pretty happy with where they are.

Yeah it would be nice if they were better (and better to me would be smaller and lighter - my 1991 LX 5.0 coupe was ideal in that regard) but larger, heavier cars seem to be what folks prefer these days.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
While everything you say is absolutely the truth the fact is that the Camaro has almost always outperformed the Mustang in terms of raw numbers. And yet the Mustang almost always sells more units simply because it has the mystique of being the original pony car with a whole lot of nostalgia attached.

Gonna have to stop you right there. Camaros have been outselling the Mustangs ever since the car was brought back 6 years ago. Even when the 5.0 came out, the Camaro still outsold it. The only time Ford outsold Chevy was when the newest Mustangs came out this year and the Camaro was beyond aged.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2015/06/29/mustang-sales/29494987/

That's 6 years straight.

Look for the new Camaro to absolutely return to the top.

Yeah, Camaro's are the new chick cars these days instead of the Miata or Mustang.

Lots of women I know love it for some reason, whereas lots of dudes get hard-ons for Mustangs.

Meanwhile, us Challenger fans are few and far between.

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
Congrats man, enjoy delivery! Its the best feeling
Thank you!

Still a shame that, imo, both care look either meh or completely redundant and outdated.
Before I ordered mine I took out a few GTs with the performance pack and they felt slow to me; it also had a lot of body roll, which was disappointing. I can't believe Ford released the S550 with basically the same 5.0, 6 speed, and garbage MT82 manual. I was really close to getting an S197 GT but that shitty transmission scared me away.

ascii42

Gonna have to stop you right there. Camaros have been outselling the Mustangs ever since the car was brought back 6 years ago. Even when the 5.0 came out, the Camaro still outsold it. The only time Ford outsold Chevy was when the newest Mustangs came out this year and the Camaro was beyond aged.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2015/06/29/mustang-sales/29494987/

That's 6 years straight.

Thanks, Transformers!

Seems like Ford needs to pull another 2011.

matmanx1

That's 6 years straight.

So you are going to pull 6 (well 5) years out of the entire history of Mustang vs Camaro to dispute what I said? Really? The Mustang has outsold the Camaro 42 times out of the last 51 years. (See here: http://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-mustang-outsold-camaro-42-times-51-years) There's a ton of history between these cars and it's been going on a lot longer than just the latest refresh.

Anyway, for the most part I agree with what you originally stated so I'm not even sure what we're debating at this point.

Jackson

theres a dude on another forum who had a fundraiser for a daughter with cancer, since deceased, and the dude now buys a brand new Z06 two week later.

Wait, I don't understand. She was already gone when he started the fundraiser? Or was the fundraiser to pay for the medical bills and then he said "meh... whatever" after she passed away and bought a sports car with the donations?

When applying for a loan at a credit union, is there a specific amount of time that you have to have credit cards in order to get the best APR?

matmanx1

When applying for a loan at a credit union, is there a specific amount of time that you have to have credit cards in order to get the best APR?

I don't think so. They are just looking at your overall credit score and credit history as well as your history with their institution. If you don't have much of a credit history at all then that will make some difference in your overall score but as long as what history you do have is good then you should be able to qualify for a good rate.

Top Bottom