• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Coconuts
large_aloha-benefits-of-coconuts-hero.jpg
Kokonatsu
Cocona
KKona
Alolan Exeggutor

e_i

Magic of Stella episode 1

That was pretty cute. Another show about cute girls making a game? Also, from the OP, it looks like sound girl uses Audio Technica headphones.

Flip Flapper 01

I didn't enjoy that one bit. ED is the only note worthy thing to speak of here.

Lostorage incited WIXOSS 01

I've been waiting for this one! Opening episode did a lot to establish the kind of person Homura is. I enjoyed the fact she very quickly got over being hesitate to fight instead of stewing about it for a long ass time. Glad to see they've made some adjustments to how the selector stuff is gonna work out so that the characters are pushed into fighting rather than being able to avoid them altogether if they're smart, hopefully this means fewer introspective episodes about not not fighting and such like the other season. Gotta saw they very quickly were able to get across the oppressive sense of loneliness Homura is feeling

One of my favorite first episodes so far this season.

Copper

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni 1-9

I'm a little bit confused. Going into this series I wasn't aware it was going to be an episodic format. Is this how the entire series, including season two is?

Thud

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni 1-9

I'm a little bit confused. Going into this series I wasn't aware it was going to be an episodic format. Is this how the entire series, including season two is?

Every couple of episodes form an arc. Every arc has a different focus. Seperate games, but connected.

The first season is comprised of arcs that are meant to question the reader.

The second season gives answers.

Third season is half fanservice and half story.

blurr

Looking at Keijo discussions and screenshots I can totally understand the presence of multiple exclamation marks in the title. Very fitting nomenclature.

Tuck

Keijo!!!! - 1

I... don't know what to say lol.

I mean, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. It was stupid as fuck, but in a good way, I guess. And the animation was surprisingly good.

Doubt I'll keep watching, but it was an interesting way to spend 22 minutes.

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 2:

Another pretty good episode. One thing that I really liked about this episode was how it really committed to the smart phone app angle in a way that made the "threat" (although fairly minor in the grand scheme of things because we're still in episode 2) feel realistic. The idea of a navigator app going haywire and really interfering in everyone's lives feels pretty understandable, especially with how much people in the modern day rely on their phones to give them directions anywhere. This is the sort of plot that I think the show should be able to execute on pretty well. The staff did a good job realizing that sort of story, and this is a good preview for the sorts of stories that I think the show should be able to realize fairly well.

Haru and Gatchmon remain a good pair. Both of them remain strong protagonists who have some great interactions with one another and some strong reaction faces. I like the budding relationship they have, and how unlike previous Digimon heroes Haru is. The fact that both of them are characters who fight more with their mind than brute strength is something that I'm really appreciating as well. It's neat to have the main Digimon's special skill be google-fu. Cameramon was also a pleasant surprise near the end of the episode. Based on the first episode I thought he was going to be more of a sort of stoic type, but he was actually pretty funny.

Visually the show is not always the most consistent, but there have definitely been some good highs overall. I hope we can see more good backgrounds like some of the ones early in the episode, and more of the sort of animated features that have come out at the best times. The AR field this episode wasn't quite as evocative as the one in the first episode, but the fact that we'll be getting a different look with each episode is definitely a welcome sign.

I have only a few criticisms with the episode. The first, and it's a fairly minor one, is that the sound effects/voices being used during the App Link segment are terrible. They really need to come up with a better idea, because I'm not sure who thought anyone would like the sound of that. More notably, I felt that Ai's role in this episode was a really confusing storyline on the part of the script. The episode sets up her having gone missing due to Navimon's actions, and then Haru and friends set off to look for her. And then Yuujin just calls Haru to let him know that he found her and that's the end of her role in the episode. It's a really strange decision on the writing front, and I'm not sure why they did that. I also thought that the spot they chose to end at was a little strange. Things were just picking up, and then I realized "oh, that's actually the ending?" At the very least, next episode should pick up with some explosive action.

Oh, and also Obama is here, because why not?

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 2:

Another pretty good episode. One thing that I really liked about this episode was how it really committed to the smart phone app angle in a way that made the "threat" (although fairly minor in the grand scheme of things because we're still in episode 2) feel realistic. The idea of a navigator app going haywire and really interfering in everyone's lives feels pretty understandable, especially with how much people in the modern day rely on their phones to give them directions anywhere. This is the sort of plot that I think the show should be able to execute on pretty well. The staff did a good job realizing that sort of story, and this is a good preview for the sorts of stories that I think the show should be able to realize fairly well.

Haru and Gatchmon remain a good pair. Both of them remain strong protagonists who have some great interactions with one another and some strong reaction faces. I like the budding relationship they have, and how unlike previous Digimon heroes Haru is. The fact that both of them are characters who fight more with their mind than brute strength is something that I'm really appreciating as well. It's neat to have the main Digimon's special skill be google-fu. Cameramon was also a pleasant surprise near the end of the episode. Based on the first episode I thought he was going to be more of a sort of stoic type, but he was actually pretty funny.

Visually the show is not always the most consistent, but there have definitely been some good highs overall. I hope we can see more good backgrounds like some of the ones early in the episode, and more of the sort of animated features that have come out at the best times. The AR field this episode wasn't quite as evocative as the one in the first episode, but the fact that we'll be getting a different look with each episode is definitely a welcome sign.

I have only a few criticisms with the episode. The first, and it's a fairly minor one, is that the sound effects/voices being used during the App Link segment are terrible. They really need to come up with a better idea, because I'm not sure who thought anyone would like the sound of that. More notably, I felt that Ai's role in this episode was a really confusing storyline on the part of the script. The episode sets up her having gone missing due to Navimon's actions, and then Haru and friends set off to look for her. And then Yuujin just calls Haru to let him know that he found her and that's the end of her role in the episode. It's a really strange decision on the writing front, and I'm not sure why they did that. I also thought that the spot they chose to end at was a little strange. Things were just picking up, and then I realized "oh, that's actually the ending?" At the very least, next episode should pick up with some explosive action.

Oh, and also Obama is here, because why not?

what the ever living fuck is wrong with those security guard's faces and glasses.

Lucentto

Banned
Keijo!!!!!!!! - 01

As an assman, this sent me straight to heaven. Watching this drunk has only compounded that feeling. Thank you anime, this is where I reach Nirvana.

Jarmel

Banned
Haikyuu OP4 is still my favorite, both from a visual/audio standpoint, but the mountain sequence is fucking awesome in OP5.

ibyea

Banned
Battery: 10-11, end
I guess the show has said everything it wanted to say about Harada and Nagakura's partnership versus the one for Kadowaki and Mizugaki, but that doesn't stop the show's ending from being very anticlimatic. Also do they ever explain why Mizugaki hates Kadowaki? I do like the show overall though, and appreciate what they did here.

duckroll

Yuri!!! on Ice - Episode 1

I really liked this. In fact, I don't think the humor is out of place at all. It's well directed and the tone of the humor and how it is integrated into the show seems to say a lot about the main character and his outlook on life. I find it pleasant and effective in communicating what he feels and how he tends to reacts to pressure, failure, and praise. It's also kinda cool to see a "childhood friend" character actually grown up and married with kids instead of hanging around being a zero chance "potential pairing" for the lead.

Haikyuu!! OMG vs ZOMG - Episode 1

Buuuuuuuuuut not everything can be Haikyuu. This was so hype it makes everything else feel irrelevant. They set the finals up perfectly. Everything feels significantly more important, grander, and just on a level where it is clear they have never played before. I love all the little touches like the line up announcement, the school and distinct actually coming to cheer for them, the medals prepared, the TV crews, etc. Great stuff. The pre-OP segment was probably my favorite though. It's a very cinematic opening which feels like the opening to a Haikyuu film or something. Love it.

jonjonaug

No one is watching the unholy Firehawk-DTL show with Kobayashi voicing the lead character.

smh

I am!

Kiss Him, Not Me 01: Kobayashi and Sakurai are perfect in their roles as MC and best boy respectively. I'm looking forward to Sawashiro showing up later as the yuri route character.

EDIT

Shows I watched in 2006: Witchblade, Black Lagoon, Getter Robo OVAs

Shows I'm watching now: Kiss Him Not Me, UtaPri, Yuri On Ice, Gakuen Handsome

Besides Flip Flappers (and I might drop that if the creep factor stays the same or increases) and JoJo I think everything I'm watching this season is for girls.

phaze

Yuri on Ice 01

I'm pretty sure I had to double check when the ages of characters were announced. 23 years old ? 27 years old ? In my anime ? What is this sorcery ? And the refreshing stuff doesn't end here, the mc is much more than a one note, mopey, shy archetype and most importantly, the childhood friend already NTR'd MC instead of waiting to inevitably get NTR'd. Truly groundbreaking stuff. Two gripes; a few cuts not giving you time to breathe and immediately switching to new scenes and the humor, sign me for the camp that wasn't big fan of it.

Haikyuu S3 01
It's the good old Haikyuu we all know and like. My only problem is that Shiratorizawa is a bunch of anonymous non-entities at this point. That was the case for a fair share of matchups in this series but for the climactic finales there was always Aoba with Oikawa, with his own issues and his rivalry with Kageyama that was built on throughout the entire previous seasons more or less. Ushijima so far has little of that and consequently, all the characterization of his and his team has to be done withing the enclosed space and time of this match.

To be Hero 01

020667pas1f.jpg

Finally a superhero with a brain.

I'm not sure where this came from or for what purpose or why is it riddled with some great animation but colour me impressed. There is nay a speck of subtlety here but I'll be damned if it didn't make me laugh a good number of times. I was gonna give it to Bungou or Yuri but this right here might be the most impressive premiere of Fall.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 28

I mean what's the point of even pointing out how amazing this series is at this point? Just scroll up to Grexeno screencaps just to see how gorgeous everything looks, from bringing back a minor character to add to the earlier feud between Josuke and Rohan to the tunnel segment and even the last shot of Josuke on the motorcycle. This show is like a poetry in of itself.

I always tear up at
how much worse the material is handled than in the 2003 series.

Hahahaha.

Still think
Hugh's death is handled relatively well though with less screentime for him it doesn't have as much impact.

duckroll

http://tv.littlewitchacademia.jp/

LWA TV's official site is up. There's a complete staff list too. Most of the usual suspects are back, Oshima is still doing the music, and Takafumi Hori is the main animator for the series. Unfortunately there's one major change I'm really disappointed by. Yuji Kaneko is no longer the art director. The new art director is Masanobu Nomura from Biho. Since the TV series is about a brand new setting, with Akko going to a new school in a new town, I'm worried we'll see a huge downgrade. If Biho is handling all the background art, it might mean no Pablo either. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

At least the cast listing confirms that the main girls are all back, including the three new ones from the sequel.

Eumi

http://tv.littlewitchacademia.jp/

LWA TV's official site is up. There's a complete staff list too. Most of the usual suspects are back, Oshima is still doing the music, and Takafumi Hori is the main animator for the series. Unfortunately there's one major change I'm really disappointed by. Yuji Kaneko is no longer the art director. The new art director is Masanobu Nomura from Biho. Since the TV series is about a brand new setting, with Akko going to a new school in a new town, I'm worried we'll see a huge downgrade. If Biho is handling all the background art, it might mean no Pablo either. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

At least the cast listing confirms that the main girls are all back, including the three new ones from the sequel.
Is fem-Malfoy coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom