• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think this is visually impressive, I'm not sure about how it captures what I think of when I read 3gatsu. It's an often very sad story, yes, but in a more melancholy fashion than I AM DROWNING IN TREES or whatever.

With that said, this series is going to be very much the victim of my expectations. After Kenichi Kasai/Tatsuyuki Nagai essentially made "perfect" adaptations of Honey and Clover, I was hoping for exactly the same vibe for 3gatsu. I don't see them as massively different in tone - 3gatsu deals in a similar mixture of optimism and bittersweetness - and I was immediately wary when Shaft were announced as the studio behind it.

I suppose I should just, well, watch it...

So the disjointed storytelling of the Honey and Clover anime is reflective of the original manga? I wasn't sure if that was a problem the adaptation had introduced or a flaw found in the source material.

Exalted

Occultic Nine Episode 1

Well this was different to what i was expecting. The episode felt so hectic and in a rush , wasn't really a fan of that. Well it at least manage to make me interested( confused) in finding out what the story is actually even about, so i'm gonna continue next week and see how it goes.

Szadek

Finished Monster
I watched the last 24 episodes in 2 days.
At some point I should probably make a longer post abput this anime.
For now I will just say, if you like psychological thrillers, you should definitely watch this anime.

Magical Girl Raising Project - Ep. 2
I guess murder is one way to stop someone from transforming into a magical girl.
My biggest problem with the show so far is that the premise is very flimsy.
Is there really no better way to handle this situation?

HypeQ s3e1

6b24e9e5b05447bd185951687b8399c3.jpg

The gang is back together to entertain us! It's all just starting but I can feel the hype already.

Waiting each week is going to be hard but as Hinata said:

Qurupeke

March comes in like a lion 1

Well, that was excellent. Compared to Yuri, I found it funnier and the drama worked better. The trio was certainly very cute and charming, their scenes were a nice contrast to Rei's loneliness. Also, I didn't expect it to be so Shaft-like. The art and the designs are certainly different to anything they've done, I guess they're true to the manga, but a lot of the shots and the visuals were so much like them. I suppose that's a good thing, as I like their style. Oh and I loved the french song at the start.

I'm not sure I get what happened though. Like what was the connection of the girls to Rei? Just acquaintances? And what happened to his parents?

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 9

Sheng went out like a boss, damn. I always love it when villains show some respect for their enemies with the way Bones of Creation instructed that Sheng be given a proper cremation rather than just being fed to demon birds.

Urobuchi outdid himself on this one. This is his best work since Fate/Zero.

Wanderer5

God Saturday looks to be a possible killer again lol. Wednesday is sequel day for me, while Sat has the other shows that interests me the most really lol.

I have something to watch from the new season every day of the week. That's excluding the Cheer boys and Puzzle and dragon dub.

So far I watched pretty much every first episode that was intesresting me and this is going to be a great season. Occult nine, Haikyu, Gundam, All out!!, Yuri on ice and flip flappers were the best standouts for me so far.

Very pleased.

ibyea

Banned
Orange: 10
This was pretty good, a well handled message that it is okay to seek support from others. Wish the romance could be sidelined since the show is way better when that is not the focus, since half the screen time is not filled with Naho stuttering.

Sterok

Shuumatsu no Izetta 2

Nice air battle, and Izetta shows off a bit of blood magic. The one guy that escaped is going to be a headache for them, but considering Fine's condition it's best not to engage. Lots of backstory on Izetta and how the two met. Nothing too surprising, but it works. Fine is acting a bit too noble. I'd like to see some internal conflict from on protecting Izetta vs saving her country. Izetta herself of course is having none of that.

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku 2

No blood yet I guess. More focused on developing the various groups. Ripple has a really strong combat ability, and Calamity Mary is definitely the type that enjoys hunting others for fun. I wonder what keeps that 5 person team together. But the star this episode is dream master Nemurin. Could be a powerful ability, but I suppose a fantasy world doesn't hold much sway in this world. Fav somehow ending up with double the amount of sustainable magical girls is hilariously bad management. On the surface competing for candies is a good way to weed out the the good and bad magical girls since they're supposed to be helping people. But of course the loser each week just dies. I guess La Pucelle isn't the sacrificial lamb after all. La Pucelle should be safe for another week at least via hanging around Snow White. Going to be fun when someone presumably drops dead in front of someone next week.

Ascheroth

Occultic;Nine #1

Holy hell, did someone make a double length episode only to realize that they only have a single episodes time and said 'Fuck it, just speed everything up'?
Because this was fast as fuck. And not in a good way. There was no breathing room for anything and when I think back to what happened this episode everything just blends together.
I'm interested enough in wtf is going to happen to continue for now, but just barely.
Also Ryo-tas character design is just embarassing.

So, Time Bokan 24, Classicaloid, Regalia, and IBO S2.

These are four shows this season that have 2D mecha animation. How long has it been since there were this many in one season?

convo

Occultic;Nine #1

Holy hell, did someone make a double length episode only to realize that they only have a single episodes time and said 'Fuck it, just speed everything up'?
Because this was fast as fuck. And not in a good way. There was no breathing room for anything and when I think back to what happened this episode everything just blends together.
I'm interested enough in wtf is going to happen to continue for now, but just barely.
Also Ryo-tas character design is just embarassing.

Apparently this episode was the entire first light novel of the three currently released,it would explain the pacing.

What a terrible season for me. I'm not into girls doing boring things and/or magic, so there's nothing. Drifters should be a homerun...but it's not, hopefully it'll still be fun as it gets going. Occultic;Nine and Izetta are okay, maybe they'll grow into something special. Flip Flappers is good looking but not my speed. Everything else is generic and interchangeable.

Ascheroth

What a terrible season for me. I'm not into girls doing boring things and/or magic, so there's nothing. Drifters should be a homerun...but it's not, hopefully it'll still be fun as it gets going. Occultic;Nine and Izetta are okay, maybe they'll grow into something special. Flip Flappers is good looking but not my speed. Everything else is generic and interchangeable.

Time to catch up on Haikyuu

Apparently this episode was the entire first light novel of the three currently released,it would explain the pacing.
The fuck. Who thought this would be a good idea.

phaze

Haikyuu, To be Hero, Yuri on Ice, Natsume, S2's of Bungou Stray Dogs/ Gundam / Ajin

Seems like a fairly good season for mature watchers who only watch mature stuff.
Like me

kewlmyc

Apparently Occultic;Nine episode 1 covered the entirety of Volume 1 of the LN. There are 3 volumes of the LN out currently.

Haikyuu, To be Hero, Yuri on Ice, Natsume, S2's of Bungou Stray Dogs/ Gundam / Ajin

I wasn't mentioning any season 2's(though the only one I watch is Ajin and I gotta wait for Netflix). I'll try To Be Hero and Yuri on Ice, though I have zero interest in sports anime. I have tons of old anime to catch up on anyway, and tons of white man shows too.

Wait a second...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Izetta Episode 2:

This is episode could basically be called, TIME FOR BACKSTORY! Not that is a back thing as we establish the bond and relationship between Fine and Izetta and their history. Also, Izetta and Fine are clearly in love with each other, so let us get that one out of the way. Anyway, Izetta now meets the call of the hero in order to protect the requite important things, IE the only friend she has ever had and such. Really liking how this is shaping up so far and I see myself giving this a full watch.

Exalted

Same for me , never had so little shows to watch in quite a long while. Only 6 so far, not counting shorts.

Gundam IBO S2 and Izetta are the only 2 shows i'm kinda excited to watch this season.
Apart form theses 2 i'm also watching Bungo Stray Dogs S2, Drifters, Trickster and Keijo, neither of these shows is really anything special. Haven't yet decided on Ocultic 9 or that Mahou death show, but first impressions weren't really that good.

Actually contemplating to break my rule, and give sports show a chance for a change.

...and apparently the LN series has been cancelled. lol

Wait, what? What's the point of doing a LN adaptation then if the books have been cancelled? Why bother advertising a series that's not going to get more entries? Unless they're going for an anime original end.

But if they're not doing that then it's gonna feel like a real kick in the balls if this show's ending is in any way inconclusive, haha.

e_i

Moecycles the next generation episode 1

Now, this what we need, an anime about folding bikes! Dahon, FTW!
"I wonder if we'll see them again?" Hahahahahaha!

phaze

A bit of a strange question, how is Haikyuu MC personality ?

Uhhh, shouneny ? Very enjoyable and entertaining but kinda flat at the same time ? He's not a very complex character.

Sengoku Choujuu Giga 01

__
Ironic AOTS.

----------------

Random but it kinda just dawned me that the building that Dazai was falling from in the first opening was revealed to be Mafia Headquarters in the last episode. Neatto. Wonder if this will be an actual scene in the anime.

March Comes in Like a Lion 01

This may seem like a weird thing to get out of this but...how the hell does texting and typing in Japanese work? I've never really thought about it before.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ClassicaLoid Episode 1:

It seems Saturday must be a day of premium watching space and thus what gets picked up must be carefully selected. That being said, I didn't enjoy this at all for there is a musical term it must learn, tonal dissonance. Seriously, this is too nutty a premise for it to be getting somber in the bloody first episode and I think I shall pass on it for the time being.

This may seem like a weird thing to get out of this but...how the hell does texting and typing in Japanese work?

I played Tales of Vesperia once on PS3 in Japanese (Not like there was any alternative, since I don't own a 360). There was a part in the game where you have to enter the text "Sun" in order to proceed.

I'm sure some Japanese-fluent folk I know on Twitter can explain it a lot better than I can, but it involved selecting two pieces of text that "fused" to form another single character, and to repeat that process with different characters until I got the word, IIRC.

I gotta give major props to everybody who localizes Japanese video games. Translating that stuff and rewording it to make it legible for Western players must be a painful, arduous task.

Makes me sad when I see people yelling at certain dialogue changes and call it "censorship" and those who think translating stuff is easy.

March comes in like a lion 1:
Weird episode. The show is visually stunning. The backgrounds are gorgeous, the usage of color is great, and pretty much every scene just looks wonderful.

But the direction, on the other hand, is really mediocre. At times it's just plain and workmanlike, and then when the show attempts to be more than that it's usually just really obvious stuff that falls flat. There's nothing creative here, just some typically flowery attempts at showing depression and the like. And the "comedy" in particular is especially jarring, with the direction seeming to really let the scenes down (although to be fair, it's also just bad comedy in general). And the attempt to basically structure this like the manga complete with showing where the original chapters started/ended (I assume) is really weird. That monologue was really an "end of the episode" moment, not "eight minutes left in the episode but we're having to structure everything really rigidly to keep with this original format" moment.

Overall, I'm not really sure how to feel. There are promising elements to the show, but there are serious places where it is coming up short. The story for the first episode felt okay, but there's not really any hook for me so far.

Lesbian Yuri

Gay Yuri

Sakuga Yuri

aka Sound Euphonium, Yuri on Ice, Flip Flappers

Check out To be Hero too.
Been out of the anime loop for a long while. Has there been any good anime in recent years with actual (i.e. undeniable if not bold) LGBTQ+ representation? The general impression I get is that there is a lot of baiting and subtext. I ask this as a queer person.

I'm aware that the quoted post isn't totally serious. :) My question is aimed at anyone that can answer, to be clear.

All Out!! ep. 1
Rugby anime, nice. Too bad it isn't Jonathan and Dio but a shorty-complex kid and somehow even more effeminate Kise Ryouta. Didn't really convince me yet and the humor especially was off. Will see if the anime turns out to be good or if it goes the road of Days
Op & Ed were decent at least.

JoJo part DIU ep. 27-28
New OP is lovely. Fun pair of episodes, JoJo keeps on being good stuff.

sonicmj1

This may seem like a weird thing to get out of this but...how the hell does texting and typing in Japanese work? I've never really thought about it before.

On a QWERTY keyboard you can type in phonetically and it'll fill in the hiragana for you (though there are Japanese phonetic keyboard layouts as well which I assume would be faster). The default flip phone layout has you pushing a number repeatedly based on the paired consonant to get the right character.

Then the computer uses predictive text to fill in the kanji for you, and if you need a different one you can scroll through a list of other possible readings and pick yours.

I imagine the technical hurdles involved in creating a Japanese word processor in the early days of computers were pretty immense.

Sterok

Girlish Number 1

A more cynical look at the seiyuu industry, especially with all the gossip going around. Could be enjoyable.

Apparently Occultic;Nine episode 1 covered the entirety of Volume 1 of the LN. There are 3 volumes of the LN out currently.
Do you kbow if it covered everything in it? Or will it go like Durarara and make us see stuff that's happening at the same time from another character perspective?
-----------------

Also for the pacing I did not think it was bad. I think they handled the fast pace pretty well. It made it very easy to follow.

Is it bad that I want all sports anime to involve shounen superpowers and have a huge part of the world revolve around the sport a la GBF S1 or Danball Senki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom