• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Extended Gameplay Breakdown with Obsidian | Official Xbox Podcast

Avowed was never billed as a AA RPG. It was always billed as a AAA RPG.

Et8mGYI.jpg
pJbexD1.jpg
iClfofz.jpg
HaLgB48.jpg
jo5KMgT.jpg
6M2rz6P.jpg

Now that the gameplay footage is out for all of us to see, I believe a lot of folks and "journalists" will gradually shift the narrative that Avowed was always going to be a smaller-scale AA project.
WTF moved on to shitting on Avowed from your Starfield obsession I see 🤡

Only person shifting narratives is you. The gameplay they've shown is a small snippet of an optional side quest so where you getting that this isn't a AAA game?

I hope this turns out good. Plenty of time to tweak systems. I don't like the stun lock time.

Love tge colour choice and quite a lot here. Hope the rest comes together.

I actually enjoyed outer worlds, but I like those types of games.
Looks good to me so far, remember this is a side quest and not from the main storyline. Also the swimming was a nice surprise and looked great.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

Only person shifting narratives is you. The gameplay they've shown is a small snippet of an optional side quest so where you getting that this isn't a AAA game?
Yet here you are with two messages back-to-back.

Why Xbox people are so eager to defend mediocrity? Lads, this is the precise reason why the platform is failing. Fans are okay with almost every bone thrown to them, regardless of quality and quantity of meat on it. Try to convince Average Joe gamer who just finished Hogwarts Legacy that this is a reason to own Xbox (or Gamepass) and he will laugh in your face.

I'm trying not to bring up Sony to this conversation, but constatnt moaning from fans is part of the reason why at least visually SIE games are always pushing the envelope even in cross-gen titles.

Avowed looks like a VR-to-flatscreen-port of a less than stellar game, and having some standarts to call out Xbox about it is not fanboyism or inflated negativity. It just freaking standarts and the desire for $3t corportaion to do better.

Last edited:

Hudo

I am not expecting the combat to feel and play better than Dark Messiah of Might & Magic but I am expecting it to feel and play better than Bethesda's stuff.

Jesb

nothing can save this game after seeing the last gen facial animations and terrible lip syncing. Combat looks dull as well.

Fredrik

As said in the direct, the face animations and bad lip sync is completely ruining the conversations for me. My hearing sucks from tinnitus, I partly read on lips. In this game I’ll just stare at a block of text, they could’ve had still pics for all I care, I can’t see what they’re saying anyway.
Yes that’s a me problem I know but they need to step that up.

Other things. Environmental looks amazing, definitely the top things about this game for me. Sounds good that they’re filling it with stuff worth finding, having great exploration in a world like this is going to be awesome.

Everything looks a bit static, it needs some physics, water splashes, under water life, the roap bridge should twist and turn when walking on it, etc.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Bruh, learn to read 🤦‍♂️ At least follow the conversation completely before coming up with these attacking posts.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I’ll give it a go, cos it’s free. But that trailer was very weak :( really not helped by annoyingly cutting away to dev team constantly. That’s was a really frustrating way to show off a first proper look at a game. Those things have their place for enthusiasts already really invested in what they’re making, but this wasn’t the place for it 🤷‍♂️

I’m not feeling this one.

It’s such a tonal shift away from the initial teaser. Way more cartoonish than I was expecting. The combat looks slow. The enemies barely react when hit. Enemy AI seems basic. The dialog was ‘fun’ and ‘silly’. Seriously, someone from their team should come forward and explain why the game that was developed no longer resembles the initial teaser in the slightest? Wtf is this shit?

Ozriel

M$FT
Avowed was never billed as a AA RPG. It was always billed as a AAA RPG.

Et8mGYI.jpg
pJbexD1.jpg
iClfofz.jpg
HaLgB48.jpg
jo5KMgT.jpg
6M2rz6P.jpg

Now that the gameplay footage is out for all of us to see, I believe a lot of folks and "journalists" will gradually shift the narrative that Avowed was always going to be a smaller-scale AA project.

It’s not an AA game, though. It’s always been an AAA project, with years of development and a fairly sizable dev team.

Bruh, learn to read 🤦‍♂️ At least follow the conversation completely before coming up with these attacking posts.

One poster here wrongly says the game’s a ‘smaller AA project’ and that’s what you’re running with over logic?

I'll give it a shot since it's on GP, but not feeling it the more I see it.

Guns should have no place in a setting with swords, goblin enemies and magic users.

Based off the trailer years ago, I was expecting a darker and grittier game. But it's actually bright and bloomy action/RPG for the family with NPCs who talk like guys in college.
It's too bad Deadfire sold poorly. But it was an amazing crpg in a pre-BG3 sorld

Mister Wolf

It's too bad Deadfire sold poorly. But it was an amazing crpg in a pre-BG3 sorld

They opted for real-time with pause and cRPG fans don't want that anymore. They also refused to patch in controller support on PC even though it has a console version. Its biggest offender was not being able to rotate the camera in the the environments.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I love the look of the game, but something looks a little off with the combat. If they can tighten that up I think it will be great. Love the look of it etc though. I'm digging the art style and look of the game.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Avowed > Starfield
Obsidian > Bethesda Game Studios
Pillars Of Eternity Universe > Elder Scrolls Universe???????
Bethesda has yet to really ruin TES universe. There is still hope. It is like when your team is down by 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter against the team with the best defense. You could still pull out a win, but you will probably go home a loser. Todd Howard is the biggest obstacle to Bethesda's success. His ego and his desire to only serve the obsessive players that like grinding in his games for hundreds of hours is what puts TES VI at risk of sucking.

Also you forgot
Fallout New Vegas > Fallout 4 which strengthens the claim Obsidian > BGS.

Mister Wolf

Bethesda has yet to really ruin TES universe. There is still hope. It is like when your team is down by 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter against the team with the best defense. You could still pull out a win, but you will probably go home a loser. Todd Howard is the biggest obstacle to Bethesda's success. His ego and his desire to only serve the obsessive players that like grinding in his games for hundreds of hours is what puts TES VI at risk of sucking.

Also you forgot
Fallout New Vegas > Fallout 4 which strengthens the claim Obsidian > BGS.

Obsidian wanted to make a game in the Elder Scrolls Universe and Todd/Bethesda Softworks refused. Reeks of jealousy of everyone saying New Vegas was better.

Looks like they're going down the route of loadouts to make combat meaningful, which means the Individual weapon types themselves are going to be lackluster

Roberts

Considering both games were made by Obsidian, I couldn't help but think of Grounded when watching the combat in this. Let's be honest, combat in Grounded is no better or worse than combat in most FP melee combat games, but it is totally functional, yet the game around it as bonafide classic and imo by far the best survival game on the market. So, even if the combat is not out of the world fantastic, the game most likely is. We will see.

Considering both games were made by Obsidian, I couldn't help but think of Grounded when watching the combat in this. Let's be honest, combat in Grounded is no better or worse than combat in most FP melee combat games, but it is totally functional, yet the game around it as bonafide classic and imo by far the best survival game on the market. So, even if the combat is not out of the world fantastic, the game most likely is. We will see.

Gameplay Director did mentioned Grounded, after which I could see similarities. I think they have added evade move to that.

Best aspect of Grounded to me was exploration and level design. This looks to be going in similar direction. Doesn’t look like flat open world but rather small pathways you to new areas, making exploration much more interesting.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Try to convince Average Joe gamer who just finished Hogwarts Legacy that this is a reason to own Xbox (or Gamepass) and he will laugh in your face.
I don't think I'd ever try to convince average Joe gamer of anything. They're probably playing Spider Man 2 and enjoying the PS5. I don't mean that as a put down either, that's what mainstream gamers are into right now. My older brother is like that.

Maximillian said this on his reaction stream and I think it's pretty accurate. The vibes of the Series console lineup remind me a bit of the OG Xbox. You had stuff that was kind of underground, not hugely popular, but unique and interesting. Jade Empire, Enclave, Riddick, a lot of focus on Sega content, Morrowind. Someone could have said the same thing back then and talked shit on those games. It wasn't selling as much as the PS2, but it was still fun. If you don't want to play it, then don't play it. I like that we're getting strange stuff that's reminiscent of the 2000s style of game design. Even Starfield is weird, has procedural generation and a unique gameplay loop. Avowed has a weird art style, weird use of bright colors, underwater swimming, varied biomes, not quite sure what to expect. Some people like that it's weird and don't need it to look like a movie.

It feels like I am back to 2006.
I like that.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
What's the hook?

What's this game doing differently that's interesting in RPGs?
Dual wands. Wands and a gun.

All I need. Games don’t need to be ground breaking and innovative. They can just be really good at what they do best to provide fans of that genre more of what they like.

“What’s this steak do different?” Nothing. It’s just cooked the way you like it. Enjoy.

Flabagast

It's when you look to project like this that you realize how impressive Cyberpunk was, notably for it's very fluid, carefully animated and free flow conversation system.

Toots

Gold Member
Looks nice, lets hope they went beyond the good/bad/weird quest structure of the Outer Worlds.

Dual wands. Wands and a gun.

All I need. Games don’t need to be ground breaking and innovative. They can just be really good at what they do best to provide fans of that genre more of what they like.

“What’s this steak do different?” Nothing. It’s just cooked the way you like it. Enjoy.
I’ve noticed this trend across various media platforms. People often expect everything to be either a perfect 10/10 or a masterpiece, dismissing anything less as just terrible. It feels like there's no longer appreciation for something that's simply good everything has to be exceptional.

Mister Wolf

Eora-zpshibwttg6.jpg

The Living Lands is essentially a "dark continent" to the nations of Eora. It has been largely unexplored with not much being understood about its native flora and fauna. There is no sentient intelligent species/race native to the Living Lands discovered yet. None of the major empires has a strong foothold in their colonization efforts of the continent so it's basically lawless. Pillars Of Eternity 2 took place in the Deadfire Archipelago.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’ve noticed this trend across various media platforms. People often expect everything to be either a perfect 10/10 or a masterpiece, dismissing anything less as just terrible. It feels like there's no longer appreciation for something that's simply good everything has to be exceptional.
On the other hand, there is so much stuff being generated, one could also say like, why bother with something that isn't great? There is not enough time on earth to play every 7/10 and above game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
FP melee combat is never great to me so I don't expect anything there. I'll be using magic only like I always doing in games like this. Bow\gun will also work maybe.
I think it'll be fine. Looks like there's normal attack, power attack, block, parry, forward dash. One handed weapons, two handed weapons.

That's not that bad really. I'm assuming melee has some skills we haven't seen. It's not going to win awards for animation, but if it's functional it should be more than enough to not drag anything down if the story is good.

Also bows, guns, wands, and two handed spells with no wand. Seems like a decent bit of variety really.

Just watched it, it doesn’t look awful by any means, just a bit archaic, not something to get me enthusiastic about. One of those “I might try it sometime” kind of games.

Xbox really lacks that “wow” game for me, something to get even some pessimistic people to gather interest. Hellblade 2 could be great although they are not doing much of a job of showcasing it.

I know it’s a good price and people like it especially on a budget, I don’t like what day one Gamepass strategy has done tho, you can see it in a number of the games. It’s alright regularly releasing driving games, you need more then that to showcase your console.

Last edited:

Krieger

This game deserves every single critique and bad press for this design alone.

NwGDkB4.png

Look at this. What the fuck is even going on with this character? Orange skin, burn marks, black eyes and dreads?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Look at this. What the fuck is even going on with this character? Orange skin, burn marks, black eyes and dreads?

It's ........ a fantasy RPG ..........

Your description 90% matches Lae'zel from Baldurs Gate 3

laz-sex-bg3.jpg

edit: nevermind, I recognize this poster from his other recent posts.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

NwGDkB4.png

Not sure if you’re criticizing the concept or the execution. If it’s the former then I guess you’re not familiar with the races in the PoE series.

It seems to be a godlike and they are supposed to mix human and non-human characteristics such as skin tones or eyes.

Godlike eyes are always unusual in some way, from an unnatural coloration to odd iris shapes (e.g., goat or bird iris shapes) to no visible iris or pupil.

Top Bottom