• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad games with redeeming qualities

Yes?

That is the point is this post, bad games with redeeming qualities. Keep up man.

• A. Your post is bad, but I enjoyed it because of your wittiness.

• B. Your post was good, but if I removed your wittiness from it, it would have been a bad post. Your post is now the worst post in the history of this forum.

Notice how these two statements are not the same.

You keep up. :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

Resenge

Wittiness?

1cwz9u3burl71.jpg

First time I ever see that word.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Theres a lot of them, especially nowadays more than a decade ago and sadly it seems most of you have lowered your expectations so much that even if it has at least one redeeming quality you consider the game "amazing". Anyway an objectively bad game that I downvoted on Steam at the top of my head is Marvel's Midnight Suns. The story is shit, the characters talk like children, half the gameplay is wasting time exploring more waste of time BUT you can tell that whoever worked on xcom or knew what made tactical games great, worked alone on combat and nothing else because the combat was super fun, so much that I am deciding to replay it soon.
Lead designer of Midnight Suns was Jake Solomon. He was heavily involved on both sides of it, to the point where the game he just announced is closer to the non-combat half of the game than the tactics side.

And it's also far from "objectively bad", I actually really like the non-combat parts.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
the punisher

looked like crap, felt like a budget game, and shooting was awful (kinda so bad it was good)... but you could go around and torture everyone 100 different ways.

171042-8..pn
the-punisher_17.jpg

59558b02e0ffc.jpg

Replay_thepunisher_600.jpg
984065634.jpg

10/10
Love this stuff. Developers might have not been the most talented, but they sure put love and effort into this mechanic.

Dazraell

I'm currently playing Venetica and it seems to fit the bill. It's kinda like what would happen if Fable was combined with Gothic and made with very low budget

This game is very janky and has a lot of issues like wooden dialogue, clunky combat and weak gameplay, but at a same time it's very charming, has great setting (fantasy version of Venice) and introduces some neat ideas like paying smith in order to fit the found armor, using warhammer to unlock blocked areas, surprisingly unique lockpicking minigame, etc

Akuji

Anthem
Fun gameplay, amazing flying mechanics, great graphics.....even to this day.
So so limited in content......the core mechanics are there......the rest of the game just needed to show up.
anthem-cover-art-1121104.jpeg
Dude ...

This is me playing Anthem in the Tutorial of the game, if the games was like this and not went straight into being a boring piece of hide, hide, hide and then shoot a little from miles away it wouldve been great.
How can they have this kinda gameplay and not use it what so ever ...

Men, couldve been my game for years instead i didnt even buy it after the beta ...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Dude ...

This is me playing Anthem in the Tutorial of the game, if the games was like this and not went straight into being a boring piece of hide, hide, hide and then shoot a little from miles away it wouldve been great.
How can they have this kinda gameplay and not use it what so ever ...

Men, couldve been my game for years instead i didnt even buy it after the beta ...

Legit.
The core of Anthem is absolutely amazing, it would have been the start of a new franchise because it would likely be my most anticipated game every time they announce a new one is coming out.
Somehow someway.....they just failed to stick the landing.

I really hope they didnt throw everything away and a Bioware B-Team could put something together from the fundementals....totally wishful thinking but Ill always hold out hope.

Toots

Gold Member
Total Overdose....dun know if this counts cuz its a solid game
Fun gameplay.........for a while.
TOTAL%20OVERDOSE.webp
Gameplay was fun for a couple hours, but the biggest redeeming quality of this game was you played as Eddie Bravo

SuaMWHT.jpeg

Too bad you cannot locoplata opponents from crackhead control tho...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Gameplay was fun for a couple hours, but the biggest redeeming quality of this game was you played as Eddie Bravo

SuaMWHT.jpeg

Too bad you cannot locoplata opponents from crackhead control tho...

Hahaha honestly I didnt even know it was Eddie Bravo and Eddies crazy ass is exactly who I would expect in such a game.

PanzerCute

Agree with Anthem, the core gameplay was extremely fun and we really enjoyed playing it with my mates.. until we understood that everything was broken in terms of progression and that the endgame was non existent.

Also lol at people quoting games like RDR2 or Demon Souls...

I recently got 1-3 to play on Steamdeck. Playing through NMH 1 now.
But it's an acquired taste. I like all the games I listed.
I am not saying it subjectively. No More Heroes utilized the Wiimote and Nunchuck better than any other title (motion+speaker) and had polished gameplay, minigames, and level design. Its controls do not transfer well to a regular controller. No More Heroes II is shit in comparison and I imagine No More Heroes III is also in the latter category.

Last edited:
In relation to this topic, I really don't get how some of the critical reception went down during the 7th gen. A bunch of games during that gen were received poorly for sometimes puzzling reasons. Yet, some of those "poorly received" games remain among the most memorable experiences from that gen to me.

WET, Alpha protocol, NeverDead, Ride to hell: retribution, Damnation, Mayhem 3D a.o.

I might be an outlier, but I honestly can't say WET nor NeverDead were bad games with a straight face. I'd really encourage more people to try those out.

Last edited:

alexaxel99

Neo Member
-Drakengard 1: Very good story although not a simple one and a cast of very disturbed characters in the party (for example an elf who likes to eat human babies for revenge or a priest who likes children in some very bad ways or a incestuous couple, etc etc...).
-Deadly Premonition: This game is only worth it for its very charming characters and some songs of the ost, everything else is very average or terrible.
- Ac Oddysey: Terrible Story and characters in the first one with a very bland gameplay but the ambience, graphics and ost is great, the only thing worth it in my opinion.
-Shadow Hearts The New Frontier: The gameplay is very fun for a jrpg, everything else sucks compared to Covenant.
-Binary Domain: The story is average, the characters are basic and the gameplay is not something to throw fireworks but it is fun to play.
-Alpha Protocol: I love this game, mostly for its incredible characters and your decisions change everything even the little ones, but i have to be honest, the gameplay is horrible and everything else is like from a ps2 game.
-Scorn: Very boring game but the atmosphere and the desing of the levels are simply amazing.
-DMC 2: The only thing good from this game is the design of Dante, in my opinion the best from all the series.
-Bound By Flame: The lore was very interesting, everything else is horrible.
-Silent Hill Homecoming: The story is the only thing that saves this game along with the design of the bosses
-Rule of Rose: The story is very disturbing and the ost is simply amazing, sadly everything else is terrible, especially the combat.
-DBZ Ultimate Tenkainchi: I appreciate that they tried to do another story but the gameplay was terribly horrible.
These are the games that comes to my mind right now that are like that, i played too many games in my life but maybe i remember some other ones.

I am not saying it subjectively. No More Heroes utilized the Wiimote and Nunchuck better than any other title (motion+speaker) and had polished gameplay, minigames, and level design. Its controls do not transfer well to a regular controller. No More Heroes II is shit in comparison and I imagine No More Heroes III is also in the latter category.
Maybe I'll go back and give it a try. I still got my wii and it's modded. It's probably where I first played it. I remember moving my arms up and down for the game.

SHA

Sport games do fit into the category perfectly like 2k wwe, fifa, f1 and others.

Last edited:

intbal

Bodycount (PS3/X360)
It was a generic FPS with a nonsense story and ugly (but colorful) graphics. However, it had a "stance" system that I've never seen in any other game aside from the original System Shock. But the Bodycount system gave you active control rather than the 9-box stance selection of System Shock. It didn't redeem the game, but it helped out with combat in cover situations.

Galleon (OG Xbox)
One of the strangest movement systems in any game. High difficulty. PS1-era graphics.
But the main character was an absolute boss. A true swashbuckling adventurer. I wish they'd bring him back in something. I think the property is owned by Atlus.

Red Dead Redemption 2.

If you took away the great writing, story, music and shiny graphics and (unnecessary, mastubatory, and time wasting) animations and attention to detail, NO BO DY, would care about it.

It's the worst game I ever played, and I played Devil May Cry 2.

And it's only high regarded for those aforementioned things. By stuffy nosed "The Last of Us is the greatest game ever made" IQ level people that could care less about video games, or by people that simply appreciate games for other reasons then I do, which is obviously fine.

Anyway, RDR 2 is a zero for me. But the great writing and characters, definitely redeems it to some more then a zero. A really great movie.
I still can't wrap my head around it not being universally ridiculed for its insanely shit mission design, controls and gunplay. That's not to mention the idiotic Wanted system that will spawn endless cops out of thin air from around a building after a crime nobody saw. Yes, I wasted my time trying that out.

It's an awful game with 10/10 presentation and an incredible soundtrack. Like putting a 20k custom low rider paintjob on a '92 Taurus.

The Evil Within had so many obnoxious elements but then randomly shit like the absolutely badass Level 10 exists. The one with the rotor blade contraption. Then there's the match mechanic, the bottle to the face and stab combo.

So flawed but so good at points.

Hudo

WarCraft III Reforged serves as a good warning for every developer out there of how not to do a remake.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The music: FFXIII, XV and XVI

Also the way FFXVI handles the index and lore archive was amazing and I wish every JRPG would copy that
I can’t decide if FF XIII is a bad game with redeeming qualities, or a good game with insufferable qualities.

I love the music, the battle system, the visuals, atmosphere, and lore (which is shamefully hidden in the codex). I consider it to be maybe the best music and battle system in the series.

On the other hand, I hate the characters, writing, story, and the linearity of it.

Overall I still liked it more than XVI, XV, or even X.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Thanks for the answers everyone! This thread will prove to be a good source of "what to play next" once I run out of ideas.

I consider it to be maybe the best music and battle system in the series.
Is the combat that good? I played it for a few hours and the game was choosing the battle commands for me.

Does it get better later on?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Thanks for the answers everyone! This thread will prove to be a good source of "what to play next" once I run out of ideas.

Is the combat that good? I played it for a few hours and the game was choosing the battle commands for me.

Does it get better later on?
IMO it takes a little while to really hit its stride but it gets WAY better when you get a complete set of jobs and learn how to use your paradigms. Selecting different paradigms is how you control your party rather than selecting individual commands.

I found it to be fast paced, challenging, and rewards you for playing well. Every single ability, buff, and debuff has its uses even in non-boss battles. Your party members will probe for weaknesses to figure out what elements and debuffs the enemy is weak against. They get smarter and better as you “fill in the blanks” on enemy weaknesses.

I also just really loved the flow of battle. Instead of just “keep picking direct damage attacks and chipping away til you win” like most JRPGs, it’s more about crippling your enemy, buffing your party, breaking their defense, then combo the shit out of them. Lots of split second decisions like “I’m almost dead, can I break this enemy before he kills me, or should I fall back to a defensive paradigm to regroup?”

IMO it’s worth playing, although we are seriously due for a remaster so maybe hold off.

TintoConCasera

IMO it takes a little while to really hit its stride but it gets WAY better when you get a complete set of jobs and learn how to use your paradigms. Selecting different paradigms is how you control your party rather than selecting individual commands.

I found it to be fast paced, challenging, and rewards you for playing well. Every single ability, buff, and debuff has its uses even in non-boss battles. Your party members will probe for weaknesses to figure out what elements and debuffs the enemy is weak against. They get smarter and better as you “fill in the blanks” on enemy weaknesses.

I also just really loved the flow of battle. Instead of just “keep picking direct damage attacks and chipping away til you win” like most JRPGs, it’s more about crippling your enemy, buffing your party, breaking their defense, then combo the shit out of them. Lots of split second decisions like “I’m almost dead, can I break this enemy before he kills me, or should I fall back to a defensive paradigm to regroup?”

IMO it’s worth playing, although we are seriously due for a remaster so maybe hold off.
Many thanks for the lengthy answer man! I'll have to give it another chance.

About the remaster, not sure it needs it! I tried it on PC not long ago and I was surprised at how good it looked.

But that's not the fault of the game itself. I don't think it applies here.

It was the same issue with Demons Souls on the PS3. And BOTW on the Switch dropping to 13 FPS.
I disagree that they couldn’t have optimized Bloodborne better than they did. There were plenty of games with more detailed, and more open world areas that ran much better than Bloodborne. For a game that requires accurate split second movement, I personally would have liked them to sacrifice somewhere else. But I do get that they had to sacrifice due to the hardware. I’m by no means calling the game bad overall, but for me that ruined the whole experience. Also, this is the main reason I’m holding out hope for a remaster or remake.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Look, I really hated playing through first God of War like two Christmas ago or something like that, I know it's not commonly regarded as a bad game but I just didn't like essential features of it, hated the bugged and imprecise collisions and last few sections, but that game has great sound design even being a PS2 game, art direction was amazing too and level design, day whatever about it being linear and corridor etc. But I really liked it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The music: FFXIII, XV and XVI

Also the way FFXVI handles the index and lore archive was amazing and I wish every JRPG would copy that
Music and combat system kept me playing ff13 for a while, once I got to the open area the game bored me tho. It's not a bad game but felt kinda inconsistent in the quality of its components

Kataploom

Gold Member
The great chocobo music in the otherwise dogshit ff15
Ok funny that I played it last fall and have a completely opposite opinion than you lol I loved the game to the point I think it's my favorite FF, with all of its development issues and inconsistencies, idc. But the Chocobo music... Man why have one of the greatest overworld music ever just to shut it down when you're mounting a Chocobo so that dumb circus music can play? Really bothered me lol

Last edited:
Two Worlds

OIP.rQ7lZIB2wzQRp7J_hQN68QAAAA

Horrendus voice acting and story, but the best eurojank there is. the feeling of adventure and exploration you get in the game is awsome.

It was supposed to be a "Oblivion killer" it never turned out that way, but there are still a bunch of fun you can have in it. I would not call it a bad games, but most critics do. Its one of my favorite games of all time in terms of enjoyment actually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom