• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

I'm not trying to play anything down, I just can't understand the outrage. If they've capped it at 30fps what's the issue? Is the issue that it's a PC Game locked at 30fps? I really don't understand this line of thought at all.

PC games don't have restrictions, that's fundamental to the platform itself.

kinggroin

Banned
Never use money to justify why performance should be a certain way. Not with PC gaming guys.

You're better off leaving $$$ out of the equation and strictly sticking to hardware processing numbers.

Lower frame rates are worse than higher frame rates.

Are you trolling? Now I'm not even sure. You're asking why a 30fps lock is bad on a PC game, come on...

OK, so it's more to do with it being 30fps on PC?

Yes, for some people, including me.

30 fps is bad because it makes the game feel less smooth, less responsive especially for people who have good rigs that are used to gaming at 60+ fps.

Plus, you cannot ignore the fact that some people spends a lot of money on their rigs in order to play the game at a setting that they want, with the effects that were advertised, which are completely missing here.

Getting a shitty product with false advertisements, shitty support is what enrages people.

The false advertisement part I'm not too aware of, as I tried to avoid all media hype around the game in case things were leaked and spoiled. I do agree that some people have spent a lot of money on their rigs, and probably expected better performance.

Not that specifically, no. But, random textures not loading completely/loading in at far too close distances is. And I have a pretty modern system - 4670k i5, 970, 16GB RAM, SSDs. Runs Witcher 3 at Ultra no problem.

I expected at least parity with PS4. What pisses me off most is WB Games' latest "update" for PC players saying basically "so we're trying to make AMD, NVidia, and Iron Galaxy fix this game, but here are some tips: don't try to fix the game." That incensed me. Telling people not to modify INI files that are hilariously commented (which wtf? commenting in INI files? in release code no less...) and actually improve the game in some cases...

It's just disappointing and I expect nothing will come of it even though it's already been recognized offically by both the main developer and publisher.

Well, hopefully they will fix it. If it's just graphical options being disabled then I don't feel the need to worry too much - didn't they fix that with PC Watchdogs after someone discovered all the ini options to change? (Although WBs saying don't play with the ini file seems odd).

MaddenNFL64

Again I've never said any of the above. Please relax. I can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, such as GTAV's PS4 release against GTAV's PC release. I, however, don't feel the need to get outraged when a game is released at 30fps, I don't feel like it's some huge blight on my gaming experience, but then I've grown up with games running from a range of fps over the last few decades.

Great, you can handle crappy ports, and you shrug your shoulders. Cool. Other people expect something better from a full priced PC release, and won't stand for it.

Zakalwe

Banned

We buy PC hardware so we can get performance beyond the console standard.

Our hardware is more than capable of running this game at higher framerates.

The game has been capped at 30 to hide the fact that higher framerates are unstable, to hide the fact this port has terrible performance on PC.

The Cowboy

Probably.

I read the policy but decided to get a refund anyway. I might get lucky
It could be that person never explained the reason for the refund request properly and why it was still a valid request outside of the limit , it (hopefully) should have quoted this part of the refund policy.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.
Basically there own refund policy states that even if you are outside of the 2 hour/14 day windows you can still make a request and they will look into it.

The best bet would be something like.
Dear Valve.
---
Your refund policy.
http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.
---
I purchased this game on xyz date, since it released on the xyz date it has had numerous issues for me, issues that are being reported on mass via the steam forums and various gaming news sites (they've also been acknowledged by the publisher of the game). Since it came out i have tried to play it and work past these issue and as such i have gone past the 2 hour refund window, however as per your refund policy (linked/quoted above) it does state that even if you are outside of the 2 hour window a request can be made.

Official response from the publisher of the game.
http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/PC-Performance-issues-we-hear-you/m-p/571341

I feel that due to the sheer amount of issues this game has at the moment it is not fit for purpose/release and that a refund should be given, a simple look on the steam forums and gaming news sites will show this is the case - i have listed a number of these below.
-
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...wledges-batman-arkham-knight-pc-problems.aspx
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...is-seriously-broken-say-amd-and-nvidia-users/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ating-batman-arkham-knight-performance-issues
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-pc-problems-reported-update-2/1100-6428392/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/23/batman-arkham-knight-suffering-major-issues-on-pc
http://www.pcgamer.com/a-look-at-batman-arkham-knights-launch-day-issues/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2939...uffers-from-crippling-performance-issues.html
http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/
-
Even though i paid via xyz method i am happy to accept a Steam Wallet refund if that makes things easier, this game is broken in its current state and even having a Steam wallet refund so i can purchase another game would be an acceptable alternative.

Thanks.
It still might not work, but its worth doing it like this just to be sure.

Spookie

So GMG will be offering refunds after the first patch hits.

I've contacted another UK retailer who sales games like GMG to see if they will be doing the same, I'll report back when I get an answer.

Gamekeysnow basically sent a generic shitty e-mail. Well last time I buy from them. :/

Is it 30fps on Consoles?

Yes

Never use money to justify why performance should be a certain way. Not with PC gaming guys.

You're better off leaving $$$ out of the equation and strictly sticking to hardware processing numbers.

Since you asked nicely

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/syst...-need-a-368-teraflop-gpu-to-match-p-29422359/

John Carmack said this is what you need to match a PS4 , 3.68 Teraflops on the GPU.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2686...-gtx-980-and-gtx-970-graphics-processors.html

My GTX 980 does 5 Teraflops and I run them in SLI.

You are saying I should be stuck at 30FPS, running shittier effects and saying there is no problem?

(This is for anyone that doesn't 'get it')

Not to mention that I run a Desktop i7-4790K and the PS4 runs a Laptop CPU.

b0bbyJ03

There can be no doubt now, steam refunds is one of the greatest things to happen to PC gaming. I unfortunately bought my copy from Nuuvem but I feel totally ripped off because I have a PS4 as well. I'd just return my copy and by the ps4 and be done with this whole thing. Instead I have a broken product that I'm stuck with. I wish there was a class action lawsuit against these guys or something.

Zakalwe

Banned
I simply prefer playing games at 60 fps+ it simply feels smoother to me and it seems most ppl, a more enjoyable experience overall. I would only play a game at 30 fps If I absolutely have to, consoles exclusives etc. The vast majority of pc game support a t least 60 fps and its quite common knowledge it is an expected feature. If they couldn't give this feature to us they should have at least advertised this fact.

Your reasoning (while fully justified) is beside the point really, the fact this game has been forced to 30fps is a problem that shouldn't require explanation.

I dont quite understand everything about graphical effects so im gonna ask a question that might sound dumb.

when im playing the game it looks really washed out to me, is this down to lack of AO or is it maybe just my tv settings?

There can be no doubt now, steam refunds is one of the greatest things to happen to PC gaming. I unfortunately bought my copy from Nuuvem but I feel totally ripped off because I have a PS4 as well. I'd just return my copy and by the ps4 and be done with this whole thing. Instead I have a broken product that I'm stuck with. I wish there was a class action lawsuit against these guys or something.

Keep this in your steam library as a reminder to NEVER EVER buy another Warner PC game.

Not the rain, but there's a sweet fx profile that has enabled AO I believe.

Will try to find a link...

EDIT: google it, there are a few that might be worth trying.

Keep in mind that this is not the same as what the game originally had/has in the "intended" build and could look odd or hit your performance hard. I have not tried it but have experienced this with other games where I did that.

It is.

You're playing it down.

People have explained to you what the issue is, I have no idea what your difficulty is here. It's up there, in plain English.

I'm not playing anything down, I'm just asking questions to build up my understanding. I've never once offered a counter to any of the issues to 'play things down'. I'm just trying to understand why 30fps is so frowned upon within PC Gaming.

At the moment both versions (Console and PC) run at 30fps, PC Gamers would like the option to run it at higher fps if they're able.
Console versions have some extra shaders available that should also be available on the PC Version. At the moment there doesn't seem to be any real way to enable them.
Console version seems to have better texture streaming than PC, no one really knows why (SSD seems to work better than HDD and consoles are reading from the disk?)

I dont quite understand everything about graphical effects so im gonna ask a question that might sound dumb.

when im playing the game it looks really washed out to me, is this down to lack of AO or is it maybe just my tv settings?

It looks subpar but could also be your Tv , we can't judge since we are not in the same room as you.

mrblippy

Neo Member
Did anyone else here purchase their steam code from ozgameshop? Wondering if they are going to have a similar refund policy to GMG.
Might get in contact with them tomorrow

I'm not playing anything down, I'm just asking questions to build up my understanding. I've never once offered a counter to any of the issues to 'play things down'. I'm just trying to understand why 30fps is so frowned upon within PC Gaming.

At the moment both versions (Console and PC) run at 30fps, PC Gamers would like the option to run it at higher fps if they're able.
Console versions have some extra shaders available that should also be available on the PC Version. At the moment there doesn't seem to be any real way to enable them.
Console version seems to have better texture streaming than PC, no one really knows why (SSD seems to work better than HDD and consoles are reading from the disk?)

This game launched with less graphical options than indie games.

CUD

Banned
Well, yeah. That's what the 30fps cap means, that it's capped by default to 30fps on PC. On consoles it's 30fps too but on PC we've come to expect at least 60fps, which shouldn't be too much to ask considering the hardware of home consoles vs a lot of gaming PCs today.

60fps should be a minimum and it is the aim for a lot of console games but when they fail to achieve that with the console's hardware they settle for 30fps which a lot of console gamers don't mind because they're so used to it now. The only reason we get a 30fps cap on PC is because the devs didn't put as much resources into the PC port than they did working on the console versions of the game. Removing the cap alone doesn't fix the performance issues with this game but it is just one issue and a sign of how poorly the game was prioritised.

heringer

Do you guys see them patching in missing effects? I can see performance being fixed, but missing effects and assets... I'm not confident.

Zakalwe

Banned

You are playing it down, you're constantly writing "but 30fps is fine for me" and similar, and you're asking "why is 30fps a problem" when you've had clear, concise explanations.

30fps is not frowned upon. 30fps is fine on PC. Sometimes you chose 30fps and more visual effects or higher resolutions, the entire point of PC gaming is to have the choice: performance or quality.

The issue is this, I've written this numerous times now, maybe underlining it will help:

They added a 30fps lock to try to hide the fact this game has terrible performance at higher framerates.

It was deception, intended, there is no reason to lock a PC game to 30fps unless the game doesn't run well above 30fps. And this game has terrible performance, fluctuating between 60 to as low as single digit frame rates for some.

This, alongside the fact that many are experiencing regular dips below 30fps, constant stuttering, and crashes, show how poorly done this port is.

Do you guys see them patching in missing effects? I can see performance being fixed, but missing effects and assets... I'm not confident.

I'd say that it's more likely they will fix the AO and the rain shader than fixing performance. It's really not hard to add those things.

BluWacky

Although I am completely on board with the port being dreadful, I don't think it's helpful to say "but I SHOULD be able to do all these things that the developers didn't let me do originally!". The 30fps lock - if it wasn't so easily removed - I can understand being unexpected and "poor form", but is not in itself completely unacceptable; demanding that it SHOULD be 60fps just because you have spent thousands on a gaming PC feels a little entitled, although I do understand being peeved by it.

The problems with the port are deeper than "my ninja gaming PC doesn't run it in a resolution greater than real life" or whatever. The poor texture loading and missing graphical features, plus whatever bad coding it is that can cause terrible freezing when the camera pans or in certain Batmobile segments, are problems almost entirely independent of whether you've got something close to minimum spec or fifty ice-cooled Titan cards in your monolith-sized workstation.

I'd say that it's more likely they will fix the AO and the rain shader than fixing performance. It's really not hard to add those things.

I guess every year we need to have a AC Unity and Watch Dogs.

This year we have them combined into one game. Crap performance and downgrade.

Although I am completely on board with the port being dreadful, I don't think it's helpful to say "but I SHOULD be able to do all these things that the developers didn't let me do originally!". The 30fps lock - if it wasn't so easily removed - I can understand being unexpected and "poor form", but is not in itself completely unacceptable; demanding that it SHOULD be 60fps just because you have spent thousands on a gaming PC feels a little entitled, although I do understand being peeved by it.

The problems with the port are deeper than "my ninja gaming PC doesn't run it in a resolution greater than real life" or whatever. The poor texture loading and missing graphical features, plus whatever bad coding it is that can cause terrible freezing when the camera pans or in certain Batmobile segments, are problems almost entirely independent of whether you've got something close to minimum spec or fifty ice-cooled Titan cards in your monolith-sized workstation.

WAIT WHAT?!?! This is the Year 2015 , if you don't launch AAA game that can run at 60FPS , the port is subar . NO EXCUSES. Having 60 FPS option is a STANDARD.

Well, yeah. That's what the 30fps cap means, that it's capped by default to 30fps on PC. On consoles it's 30fps too but on PC we've come to expect at least 60fps, which shouldn't be too much to ask considering the hardware of home consoles vs a lot of gaming PCs today.

60fps should be a minimum and it is the aim for a lot of console games but when they fail to achieve that with the console's hardware they settle for 30fps which a lot of console gamers don't mind because they're so used to it now. The only reason we get a 30fps cap on PC is because the devs didn't put as much resources into the PC port than they did working on the console versions of the game. Removing the cap alone doesn't fix the performance issues with this game but it is just one issue and a sign of how poorly the game was prioritised.

OK, thank you CUD for your thoughtful and balanced answer :)

Yeah I don't mind 30fps as much as the missing effects.

Yeah, I can imagine the missing effects can be patched in, or will be discovered via an ini file/nvidia setting (similar to Watchdogs).

:)

Zakalwe

Banned
OK, thank you CUD for your thoughtful and balanced answer :)

This was explained to you numerous times over the last few pages. You even quoted posts that contained this explanation and still asked "I don't see what's wrong with 30fps"

There is nothing entitled about saying "this game should run at 60fps".

The ease of removing the 30fps lock is beside the point.

Chariot

Capped 30 fps is generally frowned, because PC gaming is all about options.and denying us simple freedom most gamrs offer is an insult from an AAA title. Consoles are narrow streets in a city where people genrally keep to speed limits, but PC gaming is the german Autobahn where you can drive as fast you can and want on your own responsibility.

Capped 30 fps is generally frowned, because PC gaming is all about options.and denying us simple freedom most gamrs offer is an insult from an AAA title. Consoles are narrow streets in a city where people genrally keep to speed limits, but PC gaming is the german Autobahn where you can drive as fast you can and want on your own responsibility.

Looks at Graphical Options in this game.

LOL.

What is up with the Xbox One controller prompts in game BTW?

Does the X1 version have rain effects? :suspect:

Both Consoles have what the PC lacks in terms of effects.

Daante

I was actually planning on buying a new powerful GPU for my pc. Specifically for playing this game with all the bells and wistles on, in 4k on my big screen tv.

Obviously i will not do that.

Until this is properly fixed everything is pure lip service from the ones responsible.

I can't even get it to be stable 30fps for me. It constantly stutters on my GTX970 and I have the game on an SSD.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...formance-PLEASE-READ-FIRST/m-p/572903#U572903

QUOTE :
Recommended Hardware Specs
(or equivalent)
Resolution: 1920x1080
V-Sync: On
Anti-Aliasing: On
Texture Resolution: Normal
Shadow Quality: Normal
Level of Detail: Normal
Interactive Smoke/Fog: Off
Interactive Paper Debris: Off
Enhanced Rain: Off
Enhanced Light Shafts: Off

Expected: 30fps (capped)

The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms.

For an optimal experience, users with recommended spec hardware should not set their resolution higher than 1080p.

By default, the game may set Shadow Quality and Level of Detail to High on Recommended Spec hardware. Users should revert these to Normal.

With these settings on Rec Spec AMD GPUs, users can expect some minor texture pops, occasional loading symbols during fast-paced scenarios, and some hitches & stuttering when gliding or driving the Batmobile. To help alleviate this, AMD users using Rec Spec GPU’s should turn Texture Resolution, Shadow Quality, and Level of Detail to Low. We continue to work closely with AMD to resolve these issues as soon as possible; make sure you have the most current drivers and check back here for updates on when the next driver version is available.

Additional Recommendations
We do not recommend that users change anything in the game’s .ini files as this will potentially negatively impact performance, including frame rate, and stability.

At this time we do not recommend using NVIDIA’s GeForce Experience or AMD’s Gaming Evolved Optimization tools.

We’re currently working on improving streaming performance from mechanical hard drives (HDD). Addressing this is one of our top short-term priorities.

For users that have an SSD available, we’ve noted increased streaming performance when the game is installed to that type of drive.

Once again, we’d like to stress the importance of having the latest drivers from your graphics card manufacturer. Staying up to date could potentially alleviate many performance issues, and will improve your game experience.
- NVIDIA GeForce users should use GeForce GameReady WHQL Driver version 353.30
- AMD users should use Catalyst 15.6 beta driver

Crossfire on AMD is currently not supported. This is to be addressed in a future driver update from AMD.

Eyefinity (multi-monitor) on AMD is currently not fully supported. This is to be addressed in a future driver update from AMD.

When running Nvidia SLI, using the NVIDIA Control Panel to set one card as a dedicated PhysX card may improve performance.

Players should not disable and/or edit the size of their page file. Windows manages this automatically, and leaving this at the default settings will provide an optimal experience when playing Arkham Knight. We strongly recommend that users avoid making edits to this.

What is up with the Xbox One controller prompts in game BTW?

Does the Xbox One version have rain effects? :suspect:

Nah, nothing to suspect, now that XBone controllers are PC compatible games are starting to filter though using the new prompts, I think Watch_Dog was the first I noticed it in but may be misremembering, but was definitely in ACU and the Witcher 3 and probably others I'm forgetting now.

I was actually planning on buying a new powerful GPU for my pc. Specifically for playing this game with all the bells and wistles on, in 4k on my big screen tv.

Obviously i will not do that.

Until this is properly fixed everything is pure lip service from the ones responsible.

I woke up in the morning thinking I was I was going to play something glorious on my 4k screen and SLI setup . Boy was I WRONG.

Top Bottom