• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

bought this on GMG for like $36 for a high end PC. thinking of trading it in for PS4 version. think I should?

How badly do you want to play it?

If you have a decent PC and you're willing to wait one to six months for all the performance issues and bugs to be fixed, you'll get away with spending less money.

Green Yoshi

Funniest thing I've read all day, you obviously never had to deal with upper management much

I had, otherwise I would think that companies only act based on common sense.

Why were there only two (real) Star Wars games for Xbox 360 and not one Indiana Jones game within nine years? You can't explain decisions like that by common sense.

This recall will cost Warner more than they saved by outsourcing the port.

Panzon

Wait...is the game really delayed to the Fall now? I searched it on Steam and at the bottom it says:

Batman: Arkham Knight will be available on SteamOS, Linux and Mac in Fall 2015.

Sales of Batman: Arkham Knight have been temporarily suspended while Warner Brothers works to address performance issues.

Not that I'm complaining (If it means fixing it) but GOD DAMN what a shit storm indeed

Phazon

Wait...is the game really delayed to the Fall now? I searched it on Steam and at the bottom it says:

Batman: Arkham Knight will be available on SteamOS, Linux and Mac in Fall 2015.

Sales of Batman: Arkham Knight have been temporarily suspended while Warner Brothers works to address performance issues.

Not that I'm complaining (If it means fixing it) but GOD DAMN what a shit storm indeed

Read the platforms again.

No windows, because those other 3 versions were always planned for a launch this fall.

So I picked up the game on PS4 after getting a GMG refund. I've got to say, the added effects of the wet shader and the AO/AA is welcome. But outside of that the game doesn't feel nearly as good playing at 30fps. It's also not nearly as sharp. Textures are lower in general, especially at distance and it seems a bit fuzzier in general. But I'm happy to be playing it finally regardless.

I don't think Warner cares about Rocksteady. It is their logo on the PC version, not the one of Iron Galaxy Studios. Wouldn't surprise me if it will be their last game for Warner. Warner Bros. Montreal is most likely already developing a new Batman game. Big corporations as Time Warner sometimes act strange and look out for scapegoats.

WB doesn't have the stable of developers like EA did, no way they randomly gut their best and most famous developer for no discernible reason. Besides why would they follow in the example of bad studio management. Besides, any such move could easily lead to important studio people leaving to reform again.

A few people already tried this and it did nothing for them, so I don't know but here.

Open BMEngine.ini
Under [Texture Streaming] (Line 755 for those using Notepad++)
Make the following changes

Code:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

I've got AK installed on an SSD, and I'm running Windows 10 x64 Preview Build 10130.

i7 920 @ 4.1ghz HT OFF
GTX 970
12GB Ram

EDIT:

Odd. Just checked the youtube video and it's showing as running at 1080p60 and having odd shaking/stutter. Except when I first uploaded it it was just 1080p and smooth as silk like when I recorded it. I mean, it shows the FPS right in the corner.

This helped with the hitching/fps drops

Mrbob

As someone with an AMD card in my home theater PC I'm a bit worried Nvidia is helping out.

Hopefully AMD isn't sitting around doing nothing.

iNvid02

As someone with an AMD card in my home theater PC I'm a bit worried Nvidia is helping out.

Hopefully AMD isn't sitting around doing nothing.

They sent over a guy, he doesn't seem to be helping the devs much

ItWRaJB.jpg

Hey all, if you have any possible fixes, please post them here.

Stuff like this:
A few people already tried this and it did nothing for them, so I don't know but here.

Open BMEngine.ini
Under [Texture Streaming] (Line 755 for those using Notepad++)
Make the following changes

Code:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

I've got AK installed on an SSD, and I'm running Windows 10 x64 Preview Build 10130.

i7 920 @ 4.1ghz HT OFF
GTX 970
12GB Ram

EDIT:

Odd. Just checked the youtube video and it's showing as running at 1080p60 and having odd shaking/stutter. Except when I first uploaded it it was just 1080p and smooth as silk like when I recorded it. I mean, it shows the FPS right in the corner.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Put in a request with GMG for a refund.

Thought about waiting for the patches but fuck that, keeping it means I support this bullshit.

Will just borrow my friend's PS4 copy which he got for free anyway from a Mortal Kombat X tournament.

how is GSYNC coping with this game? I'd imagine 40-60fps would be playable on a high end system (its basically what I did with Unity back at launch).

But the other issue is those missing effects and texture problems, I wouldn't want to play this in its current state.

I've capped at 60fps, and g-sync smooths out the drops to around the 40s pretty well so long as its actual fps drops. Engine stutters however it can't do anything about, and those are the most jarring (IE: flying around the city and getting loading/streaming stutters).

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone finding it common for the hitches to occur when using quickfire gadgets? I can pretty reliably, when close the VRAM threshold, cause a hitch whenever I use one it feels like.

Anyone with some decent GIF editing skills want to alter this?

rYYcuBv.gif

Lasagna = RAM and VRAM
Garfield obviously = Batman

If only it was a better animation and the lasagna would be consumed.

Yeah, I doubt this game comes back out at $59.99 after the shit storm it just caused.

Got my copy of the game from NVIDIA, I ended up buying the Season Pass Monday from GMG for $24 like six hours before the game unlocked against what was my better judgement since I originally was going to wait until it was lower or we at least had more solid details as to whether or not it'd be worth it. There doesn't seem to be a cut off time for when you can get a refund so I'm going to hold off to see what happens next.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Self quote from other thread
Nvidia helping WB with the PC version
"We are working with WB Games and the development teams to address the performance issues of the of the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight," the company said.

"We have made our QA and engineering resources available and will provide updates when they are available."

Wafflestomper

Neo Member
Anyone finding it common for the hitches to occur when using quickfire gadgets? I can pretty reliably, when close the VRAM threshold, cause a hitch whenever I use one it feels like.

Yes, definitely. It's only been happening since I've completed about over 45% of the story line. Any idea of how to remedy this?

OK, this is just weird, I was about to give up on this game and get a refund and all of a sudden I have got it to run better than ever and at higher settings! No hitching or judder other than when checkpointing.

The only things I have changed are MaxFPS to 60 and:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256

I was getting a load of tearing as the in-game v-sync stopped working for some reason, so I was experimenting with RTSS, locking to 30, locking to 60, using Nvidia adaptive, non-adaptive, half-refresh v-sync options.

These are the settings I have settled on:

The extra weird thing is that somehow I'm getting 60FPS on foot, indoors and during fights which is good, but when I'm flying around the city or driving it automatically locks to 30FPS and I have no idea why! I'm not complaining as compared to the judder fest it was before, I'll happily take this as it feels smooth. Still annoyed at the missing effects but it is finally playable and not a single crash after 9 hours of play.

My PC spec (game installed to SSD):

Intel Core i7 4930K Unlocked (6 x 3.4 GHZ)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti - 3 GB
16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 MHz (2x8GB)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also verified the game's cache and it re-downloaded 4 files which may have helped.

cripterion

Just saw a segment on official news channel here in France where they said the game was selling assloads of units but at the end they mentioned how the pc version was suspended due to bugs lol.

Anyways, hopefully they get working on a patch for those of us we kept the game.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yesterday was weird. I set the FPS cap to 144, started the game, and reverted everything back to minimal settings. Perched on a lamppost, overseeing some thugs, I got about 60fps on average, it fluctuated between low 50s and mid-70s. I called in the Batmobile, and it stayed relatively stable. I drove the Batmobile away using the remote, and turned V-sync on, same framerate, called in the Batmobile, stayed stable.
I kept turning on and maxing out settings like that, and with everything maxed, no NVidiaworks, it stayed around 60fps.

So i felt brave, and went ahead and turned on Interactive Smoke and Fog. Restarted the game, 60fps, call in Batmobile; low 50s. Switched on rain and paper debris, restarted the game, 60fps, called in the Batmobile, mid to high 40s. Turned on the light shafts, BOOM; 20fps, with no light shafts to be seen. Turned it off, crept up to 30-ish fps. Restarted the game, back to the framerate I got before turning it on, so this could definitly point ot memory leak issues. Either that or a faulty garbage collector.

I left it at that, and played the game. Fights now land me in the high 40s low 50s range, mid 40s if there's a lot of paper around, the Batmobile goes down to mid to high 40s, during chase-scenes (the ones with APCs and Hummers trying to blow you up) I'm seeing low 30s, with massive framedrops to the point where I'm ALWAYS late in my powerslides.

Still no raintextures on mah Batcowl or Battank though :(

Älg

The extra weird thing is that somehow I'm getting 60FPS on foot, indoors and during fights which is good, but when I'm flying around the city or driving it automatically locks to 30FPS and I have no idea why! I'm not complaining as compared to the judder fest it was before, I'll happily take this as it feels smooth. Still annoyed at the missing effects but it is finally playable and not a single crash after 9 hours of play.

The 30/60 FPS lock thing is just because you have v-sync on. When you start flying around your framerate drops below 60, and so v-sync locks it to 30 instead.

roytheone

Just saw a segment on official news channel here in France where they said the game was selling assloads of units but at the end they mentioned how the pc version was suspended due to bugs lol.

Anyways, hopefully they get working on a patch for those of us we kept the game.

Here in the Netherlands it was the other way around. The mainstream media only reports the fact that the PC version sales were suspended, nothing about the sales of the other versions. Hell, my father that doesn't give a shit about games and still thinks they are for children came to me to ask what was going on with "that batman game".

Corpekata

Banned
Yes, definitely. It's only been happening since I've completed about over 45% of the story line. Any idea of how to remedy this?

Yeah it seems to have only occured to me after decent progress in the game too, though not that far. Weird. I thought at first I was just hitting my VRAM cap and getting a general 970 related stutter, but nope, literally every quickfire gadget I use now in combat causes a hitch. Doesn't matter if it's a crowd of 20 or some lone Riddler informant I grapple toward me.

Think I made a post a few dozen pages back about how the game seemed to run well one day and not the next, and I'm now 90 percent certain it was the Quick Gadget hitching that I was seeing and I'd just progressed far enough into the game to get it, and I just assumed it was a VRAM issue.

Seriously everyone.. Turn the in-game AA off. It makes such a huge difference to the vibrancy of the city. Thanks jorimt for figuring it out!

Killyoh

I somehow manage to run the game at approximatively 50fps (with drops) with these parameters.

RmaMaGi.jpg

bg0JnMB.jpg

But I have huge textures problems in game. Sometimes it takes 5mn to load one.
CIXeCnpXAAAmpZi.jpg:large

Lagamorph

I want to play the game so much....but the PC issues are just holding me back.

And I'm not going to pick up the PS4 version and give Rocksteady/WB even more money. Even if they didn't do the port, they still have responsibility and don't deserve anymore of my cash. They let the PC port go out in this state after all. It doesn't matter what they do now to try and rectify it, they still have just as much responsibility as Iron Galaxy in my opinion, and don't deserve a single penny more of my money.

SparkTR

At this point I'm expecting it to be rereleased as Batman Ultimate Edition or something and come bundled with some kind of DLC.

LilJoka

OK, this is just weird, I was about to give up on this game and get a refund and all of a sudden I have got it to run better than ever and at higher settings! No hitching or judder other than when checkpointing.

The only things I have changed are MaxFPS to 60 and:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256

I was getting a load of tearing as the in-game v-sync stopped working for some reason, so I was experimenting with RTSS, locking to 30, locking to 60, using Nvidia adaptive, non-adaptive, half-refresh v-sync options.

These are the settings I have settled on:

My PC spec (game installed to SSD):

Intel Core i7 4930K Unlocked (6 x 3.4 GHZ)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti - 3 GB
16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 MHz (2x8GB)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also verified the game's cache and it re-downloaded 4 files which may have helped.

It locks to 30 because its dropping below 60fps and you have Vsync On in nVidia CP. Just use adaptive sync to keep the fps higher, that is if you dont mind the occassional (or more often in the case) tearing.

Top Bottom