• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Is this real? Link to video? Please?

On topic: this was more or less going to be my first impression of PC gaming with Batman arkham knight, and this is making me think (judging by the comments of this thread) this is a common occurence.

Do you guys just deal with this or what? Im not even sure I want to even play this on PC anymore. Not saying consoles are flawless, but how do you lose 20 - 30 frames and then get constant crashes after the first? Jesus, rocksteady.

Im not home to try it out, so maybe it isnt that bad?

very common now-a-days

RyudBoy

Based on several posts here and in the official BAK thread, I'm starting to think this is a brilliant/shady way of getting people to double dip.

Is this real? Link to video? Please?

On topic: this was more or less going to be my first impression of PC gaming with Batman arkham knight, and this is making me think (judging by the comments of this thread) this is a common occurence.

Do you guys just deal with this or what? Im not even sure I want to even play this on PC anymore. Not saying consoles are flawless, but how do you lose 20 - 30 frames and then get constant crashes after the first? Jesus, rocksteady.

The last high profile example is probably Unity. But the AAA games that I have played this year (Dying Light, The Witcher 3) were very well optimized on PC. But it never hurts to be cautious and to avoid pre-ordering.

Kinthalis

Banned
very common now-a-days

Look at the witcher 3 on ps4 STILL suffering from frate rate issues. If you think consoles are much better, your kidding yourself.

This is a big reminder to all if us to STOP FUCKING PREORDERING. Myself included. Im done with that shit.

Rocksteady better get on this quick.

comrade

lol

"I have to say, I dont see the problems people are talking about"

meanwhile, massive stuttering during bat-grapple and driving onscreen
edit - and fighting
edit - and gliding
guess some people are less sensitive to obvious glaring flaws than others?

I was thinking about giving this game an impulse buy but shit, not if I can't run it at a stable 60 at high settings on a $1500 computer.

Yeah it's disgusting to play it. And that's with SLI disabled...you should see it with it on.

AEREC

eh...you win some and you lose some with PC gaming. This seems kinda bad but I wouldn't consider it the norm. It felt like the last bad PC release was Mortal Kombat...also ironically published by WB.

On the other side you have games like the Witcher 3 that are a mess performance-wise on consoles but played great on capable PC's.

Im still waiting for the game to unlock...but reading this thread is a bit disheartening.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I was going to get the PC version, but decided to go with PS4 instead. I guess I dodged a bullet there.

Why are you assuming the console versions are gonna run well? At least on PC it will eventually get patched and you have a chance at 60 fps lol.

Vex_

Banned
Thanks guys for that vid link.

And yea... Dissapointed in my experience with my new rig so far. Nothing but trouble (nvidia drivers, now this).

Hopefully things will get cleared up soon. I can't imagine rocksteady leaving things like this for long.

Do you guys get patches on only tuesdays too? Or can devs release patches anyday @ anytime they want? I'd hate to have to wait a week for a patch to a brand new game. I know it doesnt have to go through certification, right?

Jebral

Well this thread sure did give me anticipation whiplash.

Now I'm just looking forward to the train wreck unlocking and maybe locking it to 30 and downsampling and turning on all the extraneous stuff.

Because apparently it sure as heck isn't hitting 60 reliably.

4670k at 4.0Ghz
8gig ram
EVGA 970 FTW

Kinthalis

Banned

And yea... Dissapointed in my experience with my new rig so far. Nothing but trouble (nvidia drivers, now this).

Hopefully things will get cleared up soon. I can't imagine rocksteady leaving things like this for long.

Do you guys get patches on only tuesdays too? Or can devs release patches anyday @ anytime they want? I'd hate to have to wait a week for a patch to a brand new game. I know it doesnt have to go through certification, right?

On pc they can release updates whenever they want. Pc usually gets patches before consoles, but it depends on the devs.

Qassim

I do wonder if they just haven't pushed a certain build yet - how could NVIDIA push SLI as ready (with some crashes and graphical issues acknowledged), yet we're getting negative SLI scaling? Maybe that's just being optimistic but it seems odd.

Red Hood

Banned
Why are you assuming the console versions are gonna run well? At least on PC it will eventually get patched and you have a chance at 60 fps lol.

Digital Foundry had a go with the PS4 version and they said the majority is 30fps rock....steady. That can't be said for the PC port. I see people in this thread with 980s and whatnot and they still experience these massive frame-drops.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Patches come whenever on PC.

PS4 version is a rocksteady 30fps. This is old news.

Even if that's the case, it's still 30 fps. No thanks.

Kinthalis

Banned
PS4 version is a rocksteady 30fps. This is old news.

We can also get 30 fps if we run on ps4 settings. We don't want to.

Also we are already doing better than that. Im running at 1440p 58 avg fps. The issue is stuttering when nvidia effects are on abd drops to 40s on occasion.

Running this on my Alienware i3 alpha machine(8GB)
Settings:
Everything on normal, all gameworks effects OFF, AA ON VSYNC OFF
Initial run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgC-iBpCIeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuyBLyjeIys
The game suffers from having limited graphics options to deal with. I have downloaded the latest 860m drivers and have a somewhat steady 30fps. I feel like with everything @ normal and at least only the rain gameworks effects ON, the game should run fine. Hoping that some custom drivers get released to get more out of this pretty game!

PS. You guys think putting this on my SSD would help?

Renekton

Based on my own experience with Dark Souls, DR3 and Evil Within, 30fps locks with workaround fixes (e.g. INI) is usually a sign of trouble...

Well this thread sure did give me anticipation whiplash.

Now I'm just looking forward to the train wreck unlocking and maybe locking it to 30 and downsampling and turning on all the extraneous stuff.

Because apparently it sure as heck isn't hitting 60 reliably.

4670k at 4.0Ghz
8gig ram
EVGA 970 FTW

This is what I'm worried about, I really cannot stand not having a consistent 60fps and if this runs like crap from what I'm reading then I will have a hard time enjoying it. I always adjust my settings for 60 and apparently some are having trouble still even at low settings wtf o_O I guess I can't complain since I got this and witcher 3 free but still... ugh.

Buburibon

Just read the whole thread... Wow, well that's money down the drain unless they miraculously fix this soon.

Should have got this on the PS4.

I'm not even sure if I'll like the game either...

No point in getting the PS4 version unless your PC isn't capable of delivering a steady 30fps. :)

In my experience, the problem arises when trying to go above the default, and likely "intended" 30fps limit. I ran it for a while with 1/2 refresh vsync + maximum pre-rendered frames=1 + RTTS cap, and it didn't drop below 29.9fps once, not even during the Batmobile sequences. There were absolutely no hitches to speak of, at all. So, before spending another $60 on a console version of AK, make sure you aren't able to achieve the "console experience" on PC.

Digital Foundry had a go with the PS4 version and they said the majority is 30fps rock....steady. That can't be said for the PC port. I see people in this thread with 980s and whatnot and they still experience these massive frame-drops.

The PC port is perfectly capable of a "rock steady" 30fps, and still is the best version of the game if your hardware can handle 30fps/1080p+. ;-)

komorebi

Even if that's the case, it's still 30 fps. No thanks.
Wr can also get 30 fps if we run on ps4 settings. We don't want to.

Seriously guys? I'm right there with you ffs, my 980 is weeping at not being able to run this at 60fps when it unlocks in 15 minutes.

My response was to the assumption "the console versions won't perform well". I realize we're all PC gamers here but a solid 30fps on consoles is the very definition of performing well. On consoles.

dragn

how can you guys lock fps to 30 for 4k? when i do that its not smooth at all even with a gsync monitor

i would be happy with drive club or horizon 2 30 fps

Parsnip

Well, I just launched mine for the first time and as soon as I tried to run the benchmark, it bluescreened. Like, I haven't seen a BSOD in years. Didn't even know what it looks like these days.

Vex_

Banned
No point in getting the PS4 version unless your PC isn't capable of delivering a steady 30fps. :)
There's also "no point" in having a 980 either than by that logic. Since you cant consistently go over 30fps. Waste of power.

Wow, im salty.

Jebral

This is what I'm worried about, I really cannot stand not having a consistent 60fps and if this runs like crap from what I'm reading then I will have a hard time enjoying it. I always adjust my settings for 60 and apparently some are having trouble still even at low settings wtf o_O I guess I can't complain since I got this and witcher 3 free but still... ugh.

Yeah, at the risk of sounding like a snooty PC person, 60fps is why I'm here :-/

me0wish

Do developers even bother with optimizing their games anymore? MGS runs super smooth on my 980m, but AK wont? I wonder how terrible things will be when we get Unreal Engine 4 games.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
There's also "no point" in having a 980 either than by that logic. Since you cant consistently go over 30fps. Waste of power.

Wow, im salty.

You do know that this shit happens majority of times for AAA games? Wait for a week or so to get better drivers/patches.

Peterthumpa

In my experience, the problem arises when trying to go above the default, and likely "intended" 30fps limit. I ran it for a while with 1/2 refresh vsync + maximum pre-rendered frames=1 + RTTS cap, and it didn't drop below 29.9fps once, not even during the Batmobile sequences. There were absolutely no hitches to speak of, at all. So, before spending another $60 on a console version of AK, make sure you aren't able to achieve the "console experience" on PC.

idontbelieveyou.gif

Did the same thing, and while the framerate is steady as you say, constant stuttering just kills everything.

Kriken

Damn, really disappointing to hear the quality of the port. 30 fps locked is default? Lol, what is that shit? I guess I can wait a little longer before playing when Rocksteady gets the patches done. In the meantime, my backlog could use a bit of trimming

I don't think I'm experiencing any of the issues most seem to be talking about. Game runs fine for me with everything maxed out, and it was never locked to 30 FPS. YMMV, I guess.

Look at the witcher 3 on ps4 STILL suffering from frate rate issues. If you think consoles are much better, your kidding yourself.

This is a big reminder to all if us to STOP FUCKING PREORDERING. Myself included. Im done with that shit.

Rocksteady better get on this quick.

What does The Witcher 3 has to do with what he said? He specifically mentioned batman, which according to digital foundry runs absolutely great. There are cards several times more powerful than the PS4 that has performance issues and weird drops, so it's not like he made the wrong decision.

Vitor711

Is it confirmed that it's just the Gameworks stuff that's causing the stuttering? I don't have the fog on (980) but have checked everything else. I always loved the paper debris effect in city and asylum :(

I mean, the game is playable still, and occasionally looks great, but it's not a locked 60FPS. Not that I can feel anyway - MSI afterburner decided to stop showing me the FPS counter on my second boot of the game. Real weird. Haven't got it working since.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Was the PC port done in-house? It'd be freaking hilarious to find out that High Voltage did the PC port.

I mean, they did the one for MKX, another WB published game...

Teleporter

When this think gonna unlock for me damn........ I wanna suffer with you all and cry about it! Hope a miraculous patch warms our hearts!

Top Bottom