• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight Aiming for identical Res/Framerate Across Xbox One and PS4

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the Ubisoft thing has changed people's perceptions of comments like this.

Before Unity parity-gate, comments like this would be taken with a grain of salt. Devs tend to always say they're aiming for 'parity', by their own definition of that word...where they actually end up can often be a different matter.

Tobor

...and this game goes on my "parity" list. Will buy when it hits $20 or less.

No game is getting $60 from me when they admit to this shit. If it doesn't actually happen, I'll reconsider.

Snaku

Banned
Q4T4RYg.gif

I believe the demo at e3 was running on PC anyway, so I'm not too worried about PC performance. At least they're getting this out of the way early instead of eating the bad PR right before the game launches.

Kyoufu

Parity is just PR speak for "the Xbone version will be good too guys, please buy it!" when in reality the PS4 version will have its advantages.

Right??

I still think Arkham Asylum looks great so any improvement is just a bonus at this point. People are talking about boycotting a (most likely) great game because of graphical parity? Seriously? Time for a priority check.

rSpooky

SO, really .. why was this not a thing last generation??

I do not understand why the sudden change of heart on this . Is this loyalty of developers to Microsoft because it is American? Or perhaps actually somesort of effect from last gen efforts?

It just amazes me this is not all of a sudden important...

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
He did not actually say Xbone and ps4 would have parity. He said they're aiming for parity across all platforms.....I'm assuming that also includes PC

Amir0x

Banned
I still think Arkham Asylum looks great so any improvement is just a bonus at this point. People are talking about boycotting a (most likely) great game because of graphical parity? Seriously? Time for a priority check.

Yup. It's a developer actively limiting a version for a console consumers have paid for, all to appease some different consumers who made a different choice knowing their system was significantly inferior technically. Those different consumers should have purchased a PS4 if they had a problem with their decision. So, that's bullshit. Straight up. Doesn't matter if it's the game of the generation. When a dev/publisher decides to shit on consumers, it's exactly the right choice to avoid their product.

They were never going to say that one version is superior than the other so far away from release, if ever.

That is true. Plus, resolution and framerate have become such hot buzzwords, they are being specifically asked about it. I just dont understand why devs cannot just say "We are constantly workining on making the game the best it can be on all platforms. The resolution and framerate are far from finalized so I really cannot comment on them!"

But now they just say "We are aiming at parity across all platforms" I think many of us need to realize that what we think of parity and what devs think of parity could be 2 totally different things. Devs could be looking at it like "We are going to make the game the best it can be on both platforms" and in their minds, that is parity. Each platform will be the best it can be instead of one platform will be better than the other.

RulkezX

Well,it probably will look very good on consoles too,so no problem for me.But i see that they could use more of the power of PS4 and take out that parity thing

Just remember how Watchdogs / Unity looked at their reveals.

A vertical slice running on a high end PC will not be remotley representative of the console version.

danwarb

The consoles are very similar. There was graphics parity on 360/PS3 too. One platform will run a bit better or have improved image quality in some regard, or effects. Parity doesn't have to mean limited to the same IQ and performance (that never happens).

There's graphics parity on PC between systems too, but there's an actual significant differences between setups and performance. Console differences are piddling.

Sigh what is up with this crap lately. I really don't want to skip out on a rocksteady game, but if they are going to pull this garbage, I may have no choice.

"Priority check"? People have different priorities. It's a fucking videogame, I'm sure the people that actually do boycott it will survive.

He did not actually say Xbone and ps4 would have parity. He said they're aiming for parity across all platforms.....I'm assuming that also includes PC

Yeah the wording is key. Obviously it's a wait and see affair but that could mean several things. That being said, I think it's good for people to keep making a stink about this stuff.

Ok, so Unity and Arkham Knight will both be bought used. This shit is starting to get ridiculous. How much money is MS paying these companies to ensure a parity clause? It makes it even worse for me when this parity shit wasn't happening last generation for the PS3.

akGCO47

Banned
Kind of silly. If the devs are not willing to take advantage of the ps4 power then Im not willing to pay full price. Simple as that. Will wait for price drop or buy second hand.

Jashobeam

As long as it's at least 1080p/30fps across both platforms then it's all good IMO. This is seriously going to be the most badass superhero game of all time!

Lucifon

Some people are reading into this wrong. He's not saying they'll intentionally gimp a version to make them the same, but more the opposite - he's hoping for all versions to be running the game at 1080 for example.

Sotha_Sil

I know this pisses GAF off, but had they come out and said "Yeah, PS4 is going to be better", they alienate everyone on the Xbox side of things. You can't say something like that six months in advance.

Regardless of what happens, I bet the PS4 version will be slightly superior, whether it be slightly better textures or less frequent framerate drops.

Harmen

This is utter bullshit. Nobody seemed to gimp 360 versions for the difficult to program PS3 (at first) and the PS2 did not have the greatest versions either. And there was nothing wrong with that.

The game does look nice so far, however.

Top Bottom