• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham VR coming to PC (HTC Vive and Oculus) on April 25

DKHF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AtezWMeh1s

Ah sir, you're here...

Batman: Arkham VR is officially coming to HTC VIVE™ and Oculus Rift beginning April 25.

PC players now have the opportunity to experience Gotham City through the eyes of the World’s Greatest Detective, and delve deep into a tense Batman: Arkham mystery. Enter a virtual reality world where you must think like Batman and utilize his legendary gadgets, unraveling a plot that threatens the lives of his closest allies.

For more info visit http://www.batmanarkhamvr.com

LewieP

So that's 6 month exclusivity on Playstation.

Did they ever make any mention of it coming to PC before this announcement?

Plasma

Banned
Already have it on PSVR but I'll pick it up on the Rift too, it's still the best experience I've had in VR.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's good news. Should play a lot better with superior tracking and a larger play space.

GeeTeeCee

That's good news. Should play a lot better with superior tracking and a larger play space.

Out of curiosity as I'm not familiar with the variations of VR tech: how much difference would a larger play space make? Arkham VR is a very stationary experience.

Never understood why anyone was interested in this. Looking around a room for "clues". Put on a Batman suit and look at your hands! Wow.

Garbage like this will be the death of VR.

Games please.

Out of curiosity as I'm not familiar with the variations of VR tech: how much difference would a larger play space make? Arkham VR is a very stationary experience.

None. Same shit different pile basically.

Never understood why anyone was interested in this. Looking around a room for "clues". Put on a Batman suit and look at your hands! Wow.

Games please.

It's pretty obvious really.

They are cheap fun experiences that don't overstay their welcome, you get an interesting story with player agency whilst maintaining direction. For those who like Batman it is fun to be placed in his shoes rather than a 3rd person observer. For those new to VR and don't know their boundaries they are a safe way to enjoy the headset without asking too much of them whilst also helping acclimatise them to it.

Games please.

Wow I actually really enjoyed it, heaven forbid we get games AND experiences... options and choice is always great.

BTails

Have you played Arkham VR? I thought the same thing before playing it, but just being within highly detailed environments in VR is extremely fun and rewarding. The game has lots of stuff to find, making it exciting to explore. Sure it's not a long experience even with the bonuses added in, but it's also priced accordingly.

Games please.

A bit harsh and based on how it was received by the PS VR community, dare I say incorrect.

Fisty

Games please.

Yeah who would want to do stupid ass detective work while playing as the Worlds Greatest Detective? So dumb, whoever decided to focus on solving a mystery have no clue what Batman is really all about: running over thugs in an electrified Bat-tank

It's actually a really damn fun game and an awesome experience. Easily worth the $20

Games please.

Have you played it? To each their own but I found it to be a really great (if admittedly short) experience.

ryushe

Fun as a one off, but I couldn't possibly think of "playing" this again.

Glad for the people who haven't tried it yet.

MUnited83

For you.
So that's 6 month exclusivity on Playstation.

Did they ever make any mention of it coming to PC before this announcement?
batman-arkham-vr-timed-exclusive.jpg

Games please.
uhhh it's extremely cool to hang out in some of the game's environments like exploring a fully realized Batcave.

Not to mention the game's incredible intro...

Would love to see VR support for the mainline games too, either 3rd or first-person.

Just imagine diving off a building and landing in the Batmobile, then tearing through the streets before launching out of it and soaring through the night sky

Flandy

Honestly does this have any appeal to PC VR owners? It was fun to play at the PSVR launch but from what I've seen of PC VR games it looks so limited compared to whats already on the platform. It's $20, less than hour long, and was built with Move in mind which means only teleportation movement. I feel like a lot of people are going to be disappointed

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Honestly does this have any appeal to PC VR owners? It was fun to play at the PSVR launch but from what I've seen of PC VR games it looks so limited compared to whats already on the platform. It's $20, less than hour long, and was built with Move in mind which means only teleportation movement. I feel like a lot of people are going to be disappointed

No harm getting 1 more VR content to the already massive VR library.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Games please.

Play it and you might understand. Although maybe not with that attitude. :p

Flandy

No harm getting 1 more VR content to the already massive VR library.

Oh I'm not saying it shouldn't just come. There was nothing else quite like this at the time of the PSVR launch and it was a ton of peoples first time playing VR too so they were still in the honeymoon phase. It's a fun experience but it's probably best to wait for a sale on this one. Temper your expectations :p

Buzzbrad

Definitely excited for this, been waiting for the announcement. PC VR is definitely getting a slew of releases recently.

I'm interested mostly because it's Batman, has AAA polish, and is apparently enjoyable for what it does. Only thing putting me off is the price/content ratio. I'll probably wait until I can get it for like $15.

Flandy

I'm interested mostly because it's Batman, has AAA polish, and is apparently enjoyable for what it does. Only thing putting me off is the price/content ratio. I'll probably wait until I can get it for like $15.

It's a fun hour and imo was worth it at the PSVR launch. You'll definitely enjoy it whenever it goes on sale :)

low-G

Official Harley Quinn VR model

But for real it's a borderline thing for me. I won't buy it at $20, that's for sure.

robotrock

Banned

I feel like it's just a neat point and click adventure game with a cool Batman filter. Overpriced sure but I legitimately think it's a cool game and worth being on anything it can.

Games please.

Have you even played it? I didn't understand the VR hype until I tried this game. It blue my fucking mind.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Oh I'm not saying it shouldn't just come. There was nothing else quite like this at the time of the PSVR launch and it was a ton of peoples first time playing VR too so they were still in the honeymoon phase. It's a fun experience but it's probably best to wait for a sale on this one. Temper your expectations :p

I think PC VR users know much better than PSVR users about tempering expectation regarding VR content. Don't worry

Wallach

Not much. The controller tracking will help a lot, though.

For my fellow Rift / Vive users - this is not something worth a lot of money, but is a cool experience. I'd equate it more to a movie ticket purchase than a game purchase. Not sure what they plan to charge for it but I think the Monkey Island rule applies here.

cakefoo

A lot of Vive owners did buy Call of the Starseed. I think it'll do well thanks to the high production value and the Batman IP, but personally no, it's about the same cost as going to a VR arcade, when I can get all kinds of experiences for less or even free.

Not really interested, no. I could see it as an interesting intro to VR, but we have plenty quality VR intros, many of them free such as The Lab.

Nzyme32

Expected. If it's the same forward facing experience mostly locked in places as PSVR, chances are I won't be too enthused when playing. I seem to continually have this problem since playing room scale stuff. I just like moving around when I explore VR places.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The play space wouldn't have any significant impact on actual gameplay, of course, but it does increase immersion. The scene where you're exploring the lab, for instance, let's you move around the area using teleportation BUT you can also use locomotion to move within each area. It's a nice touch and adds to the immersion. PSVR has an issue tracking the headset and the Move controllers as you move around.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just read about this now. And I'm quite indifferent about it now. Maybe 6 months ago things would have been different.

I think these time exclusives have honestly killed quite a lot of VR's momentum while they didn't t really help the sales of one HMD or the other that much.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm in. Opportunity to really up the image quality, have quality room scale tracking (which further improves immersion) and be the Batman, doing detective stuff, is a proposition I can't pass on.

The Steam page is up
http://store.steampowered.com/app/502820/

You can pre-purchase it now...same price as PSVR version I believe

I still can't judge the game based on footage.
Is it more than a simple "look at our triple A assets in VR" game, with actual riddles and maybe gameplay that is more than throwing a magnetic batterang or "look around in detective mode to solve everything"?
All I've seen of this game seemed like it was more of a "look around and be wowed"-game, but that's it. Not that I'm opposed to this kind of game/experience... but I already had tons of these and for 20 bucks there is much more complex/better stuff available though!

Top Bottom