• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Grand Theft Auto Soundtrack/Stations

MormaPope

Banned
This is going to be a interesting thread because I think it'll be pretty one sided.

Even though I love how varied the San Andreas soundtrack is, I only find a few stations enjoyable (K-DST, Radio X, Radio Los Santos). I really enjoyed GTA IV's soundtrack, a lot of mainstream stuff and a lot of non-mainstream stuff.

But, GTA Vice City's soundtrack is definitely king. I mean:

Jan Hammer - "Crockett's Theme"
Cutting Crew - "(I Just) Died in Your Arms"
Night Ranger - "Sister Christian"
Toto - "Africa"
Hall & Oates - "Out of Touch"
Wang Chung - "Dance Hall Days"
Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean"
Lionel Richie - "Running with the Night"
The Cult - "She Sells Sanctuary
Tesla - "Cumin' Atcha Live"
Iron Maiden - "2 Minutes to Midnight"
Anthrax - "Madhouse"
Slayer - "Raining Blood"
David Lee Roth - "Yankee Rose"
Judas Priest - "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"
Gary Numan - "Cars"
Nena - "99 Luftballons"
Corey Hart - "Sunglasses At Night"
A Flock of Seagulls - "I Ran (So Far Away)"
Animotion - "Obsession
Romeo Void - "Never Say Never"

How the hell could you capture the music scene in the early and mid 80's any better?

As far as talk radio goes in GTA:

1. GTA III
2. GTA: Vice City
3. GTA IV
4. GTA: San Andreas

The talk radio was pretty lackluster in San Andreas, Andy Dick being one of the radio hosts didn't really help.

Razek

Banned
I'm weird, but I always had a thing for K-Rose from san andreas. Something about the country music and playing mostly out in the country...

Dabanton

K Rose is awesome

GTA:IV had some great ones a lot less obvious than previous games and a lot better for it.

The Journey was phenomenal especially on rainy nights in liberty city

Lazlow

http://youtu.be/sDTi9jDephU

Pre-GTA4

0.jpg

GTA III: Flashback FM
GTA Vice City: Wave 103
GTA San Andreas: Radio X
GTA IV: Radio Broker

In terms of chat stuff, III > San Andreas > Vice City > IV

FStop7

Banned
The rap station in GTA3 that played Royce Da 5'9" , Gang Starr, etc. I fucking loved that station. Game Radio? Game FM?

NekoFever

I always go straight for the chat stations. I actually used to have the entirety of Chatterbox from GTA III on my MP3 player.

MormaPope

Banned
GTA III: Flashback FM
GTA Vice City: Wave 103
GTA San Andreas: Radio X
GTA IV: Radio Broker

In terms of chat stuff, III > San Andreas > Vice City > IV

The bolded is pretty much my choices as well station wise.

Radio X is probably one of the best stations across all the game's.

They are all honestly pretty good, but have the best memories of GTAIII; "Take it away and bring it back again Mr. Scientist". My second favorite overall soundtrack is GTA:VC. Vice City just oozed 80's. It helped make the game!

My favorite station would go to, "The Journey" in GTAIV. The Journey had a great android robot host that was hilarious and loved the music.

Almighty

I'm weird, but I always had a thing for K-Rose from san andreas. Something about the country music and playing mostly out in the country...

K-Rose and K-DST are the only stations I listen to in GTA:SA. Those two were all I needed. It still cracks me up when i think about doing drive-bys and what not blasting K-Rose on the radio.

MormaPope

Banned
The rap station in GTA3 that played Royce Da 5'9" , Gang Starr, etc. I fucking loved that station. Game Radio? Game FM?

It's Game FM.

I could rip a phone book in half with my bare toes!

I've enjoyed Rockstar's sense of humor this gen, but chatterbox in GTA III has the best comedy material. Lazlow in IV wasn't bad, but there wasn't really good material for his station.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
In Vice City, I loved Flash FM (ELO and Yes were the best) and VCPR. Maurice Chavez is the funniest guy to ever appear in a video game, and his guests were up to the challenge. I used to hear V-Rock all the time, but got tired of it on my second playthrough.

Then I played San Andreas and was disappointed, too much rap and hip-hop (which I don't like), and even the CCR track they put in isn't one of my favorites. So I ended up making a custom playlist of my own songs, but still listened to Lazlow from time to time.

I never played GTA 3, and don't remember much of the music in 4, other than it having a Genesis song, another one by ELO and being shocked when I found the reggaeton radio.

gryz

Banned
any answer that is not from San Andreas is objectively wrong,

i mean NWA, Stone Roses, 808 State, Primal Scream all in one game??

8bit

Knows the Score
oh my god, there's a warp records station in sleeping dogs ?!?!?

Yeah, Ninja Tune too. First time I got in a vehicle in game it started playing Four Tet's remix of Antipop Consortium and I was blown away because I had no idea that the music selection was going to be so good.

Fruitster

Soundtrack wise, Vice City just knocked it out the park for me. So many great 80's classics. But San Andreas had probably the best ads. Mike Andrews, Cluckin Bell, the Kindergarten cop take the piss Exploder ad - they had me crying with laughter first time around.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Chatterbox on III was just amazing. I even listened to it while browsing the web back in the days. I like most of the stations, but that one is the most memorable.

Yeah, now I need to listen to it again.

Pacbois

SFUR !

Driving through San Fierro at night, listening to This is Acid was one of the best things about San Andreas.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If you weren't bumping Radio Los Santos in GTA:SA you were playing the game wrong.

So many classic tracks that fit the game like a fucking glove. Perfect.

Gravijah

If you weren't bumping Radio Los Santos in GTA:SA you were playing the game wrong.

So many classic tracks that fit the game like a fucking glove. Perfect.

every station in GTA:SA is amazing and i've listened to every single song multiple times.

pax217

III definitely had the best "radio" in general, but Vice City definitely had the best music for the setting (albeit they probably had a pretty easy time choosing tracks for that game).

To pick a best station is too subjective to someone's personal tastes in music.

Clott

Chatterbox is the only memorable one for me. Me and my friend would buy Chinese take out an sit and listen to it as if we're real radio.

Top Bottom