• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Videogame Intro songs

BeOnEdge

Banned
there are some games that i'll just turn on to hear the intro songs. :)

Billy Hatcher
Dead or Alive 2
R Racing Evolution
DOAXBV
R4

Kingdom Hearts - Hikari Planit B Mix
MGS2 Theme
Chrono Cross - Times Scar
RRT4 Theme
PSO - The Whole New World
Soul Edge Intro
Silent Hill
ZOE - Kiss Me Sunlights
ZOE2 - Beyond the Bounds
Suikoden 3 - Transcending Love
Parasite Eve - Primal Eyes

TekunoRobby said:
You haven't touched anything other than a Playstation console have you SSX?

Umm yes, but those are just the ones i'd pop in my system to hear at anytime. Plus PSO isn't on a Playstation system. :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SolidSnakex said:
Umm yes, but those are just the ones i'd pop in my system to hear at anytime.

Ohhh ok.

Before your edit: 8 bit and 16 bit tracks rooool! You see that avatar of yours? That lady is mad that you didn't show any 8-bit loving.

Final Fantasy VI - Opening Theme (snowfield, credits, magitek)
Wind Waker - Title
Ocarina of Time - Opening (accompanied by clopping of Epona's hooves)

jiggle

Chrono Cross - Time Scar
Final Fantasy VIII - Liberi Fatali
Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand
Tales of Destiny 2 - Key to My Heart
Tales of Symphonia - Starry Heavens
Breath of Fire IV - ~Opening Animation~
Breath of Fire V - ~Opening Animation~
Dark Cloud 2 - Main Theme
Wild Arm - Into the Wilderness
Unlimited Saga - Overture
Silent Hill 2 - To Laura

"Tales of Destiny 2 - Key to My Heart
Tales of Symphonia - Starry Heavens"

Speaking of Tales, i'll throw in "Flying" from ToE. Forgot all about it. Definetly my fav Tales intro song.

hobbitx

GTA3 and VC- (Those intro songs were some of the best stuff I've heard in any recent game.)

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (So good it set the mood of the entire game, everytime I heard that beat, it made me want revenge just as much as Raziel.)

Bandit Kings of Ancient China(NES)- That was one awesome, funky, asian beat, I never even liked that game, I just turn it on to hear that one intro song.

Shadowlands(PC)- This is another old game I keep around just to hear the intro, I swear anyone out there that likes funky techno should download this game and listen to how good the intro music is. It's a great mix of classical fantasy style music and hardcore techno.

Tom Sawyer(NES)- Yeah the game sucks, but the opening song is absolutely beautiful.

Equinox(SNES)- The intro was wonderful and the whole soundtrack was, the thing about this game was it's background music was as subtle as it was beautiful. It would come and go at any random time, sometimes there would be hours of no music, then boom you get a new weird song, wonderful soundtrack, wonderful game, yet 3rd sequel. :(

Super Ninja Boy(SNES)- Not only did the actual music rock, the actual intro was kickass too, I loved the weird noises those little dudes made.

Shadows of the Empire- The people in charge of the music for this game should be very proud of themselves. With most other SW's games they just rehash the same old music from the original trilogy, but this game totally had it's own soundtrack that totally had the feel of the SW's universe. The intro theme, which was also Dash Rendar's theme was amazing to hear, it was like Total Recall with the SW's vibe, excellent stuff. I wish more games could create totally original SW's music. *cough* Jedi Knight *cough*

Chrono Trigger- Great intro music, the funny thing is though, it kinda reminded me of soap opera music.

Granstream Saga- Another great fantasy tune, it also had some of the most enchanting sound effects I've ever heard in a game.

Last but not least, Xenogears! The intro for this just blew me away, Xenogears was one of the first rpgs I seriously sat down and really got into, man was the music in this great, but I haven't ever really played an rpg with bad music, that's the one genre that never fails me in that department.

Teddman

Wave Race: Blue Storm
-The opening guitar riff RAWKS. Nice chunky chords and feedback squeals on that one, could've been the rhythm line for a kickass rock tune.

Tempest 2000
-The main theme that plays over the first dozen or so stages is some of the best videogame techno ever. Tempest was one of the very first to go with an all-techno game soundtrack.

Secret of Mana
-Very evocative little piano and strings arrangement there.

Section Z (NES)
-Nice happy theme at the main title screen, and cool 70's funk groove for the opening levels. About the only good thing about the game.

Shadows of the Empire had somw new music, but it was not created for the game. Shadows was a multimedia project in book, game, comic, and music form. The CD was composed by Joel McNeely and released before the game did. The CD was really more for the book than the game, but I suppose they wanted to make it feel like the soundtrack to a new movie. At the time, Shadows was something of an unfilmed episode 5.5.

I own the CD (I was a huge Star Wars fan at the time) and it is actually very good.

Mega Man 2
Wild Arms
MGS2
Soul Blade
Tempest 2000
Fallout 1&2
Jurassic Park 2
Morrowind
JSRF
Quantum Redshift <--- The one with Saffron.
Red Dead Revolver <-- Does the "Young Red" intro level count as an intro? It didn't have one otherwise.

B'z-chan

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Kingdom Hearts - Hikari Planit B MixGotta give this a 0 cause its so pimp
MGS2 Theme1
Chrono Cross - Times Scar
RRT4 Theme
PSO - The Whole New World
Soul Edge Intro
Silent Hill
ZOE - Kiss Me Sunlights2
ZOE2 - Beyond the Bounds
Suikoden 3 - Transcending Love
Parasite Eve - Primal Eyes

Numbered my fav's but this list would probably be a good portion of the games i would nominate.

I know I'll keep remembering more, but one that I found myself humming a few days ago was the intro tune to Deja Vu for NES. Good old film-noir-ish music.

Katamari Damacy
Mr Driller G/Drill Land (same song)
Megaman 2 + 3
Parappa the Rapper (Jet Baby)
JSRF
Crazy Taxi - I'm not even really an Offspring fan, but the intro was just so perfect with all the cuts in time with the music. I love it.
ToeJam and Earl
Dr. Mario
Sarugetchu 2 (not sure if it was in the US version, but I kinda doubt it with all the Japanese vocals)
F-Zero X
Mario Party 1
Phantasy Star 2 + 3

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I personally think that the best video game opening ever (not just the music), was FFVIII's intro FMV with Liberi Fatali. I was hooked from the very start. I think I played about the first 20 hours straight because of that intro. FFVIII still remains as one of my favorite games of all time, and my favorite FF.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Metroid

Megaman 3

Suikoden II

Ridge Racer Type 4 (along with one of the best soundtracks of all time)

Suikoden III

Wild Arms

Tenchu 2

Deus Ex (although it's more like the title screen song)

Klonoa 2 (His Ya-hoh! makes me smile everytime)

suikodan

Wow, I thought my list would be small, but by seeing the others' lists, it won't.

FFVII (I love the transition from the title theme directly to the gameplay)
FFVIII (The only good thing about this game; Liberi Fatali and also the Rock Theme ;))
FFIV (It's used several times during the game and it always give me shivers)
Megaman 2 (I will go buy MMAC to hear it... again)
MGS 2 (My girlfriend hates the game, but loves the theme because it's always playing)
Lunar: SSSC (Love that song)
ZOE2: (I will not sell the game because of that. Ok I have the MP3 but hearing it with the images on screen make it ten times better)
Wild Arms: (It's easy to whistle and so catching)
Zelda 1: (The theme is so cool)
Soul Edge: (WOW! Such graphics on my PSX! That was before I understood what FMV were)
Chrono Trigger: (What an intro for a SNES game!)
Duke3D: (Just thinking of the theme reminds me of how much I miss playing that game)

zooL

Lunar The Silver Star Story Complete

Edit: D'oh! 3 minutes too late, suikodan already mentioned it. :X

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Fighting Vipers, Dark Wizard, and Death Tank Zwei also have memorable intro songs.

Errr... mistake on Fighting Vipers. I meant Last Bronx.

Guzim

Mega Man 2
The Legend of Zelda
Final Fantasy V
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Top Bottom