• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beware if you're purchasing the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller for the d-pad

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to keep an eye out for a Switch and this is something that concerns me. Is the Hori controller the best option? Haven't seen much in terms of impressions of it. Hard to justify the official controller with the busted dpad and I've read 8bitdo's aren't very good either.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The NES30Pro dpad is amazing, I highly recommend it.

I've heard their SNES controller has bad diagonals, maybe that one is different or it's overstated. I'm also iffy on the analog sticks for that one, I've never really like the sticks in that position. The CCPro is the only one I've found comfortable due to the wider gap between the sticks. DS4 is kind of almost okay. NES30Pro looks a bit too similar to the original Classic Controller which I didn't like. Are the sticks a bit further apart on the 8bitdo controller?

I wish I could just use my Wii U Pro controller, I love that thing.

Nintendo D-Pads are hit-or-miss.

NES - (the first!) Shit
Gameboy/Color - Great
SNES - Great
N64 - Okay
Gameboy Advance - Okay
GameCube - Awful
Gameboy SP - Solid
DS Phat - Solid
GB Micro - Great
DS Lite - Good
Wii Remote - serviceable
Wii Classic Controller/Pro - Great
3DS Series - Serviceable
Wii U Gamepad - Great
Wii U Pro - Great
Switch Joycons - Non-existent
Switch Pro - Shit

Full-circle.

What? The Wii Remote in particular has a great D-Pad.

I think their only truly bad D-Pad is on the GC Controller, with the Switch Pro apparently varying by individual unit. OG 3DS D-Pad's were also pretty darn crappy when new (overly clicky), but got okay once you broke it in.

iphys

The NES30Pro dpad is amazing, I highly recommend it.

I wouldn't call it amazing in general as it's basically only as good as a NES D-pad and there have been better D-pads, but compared with how bad the Switch Pro controller D-pad is it's amazing.

Nerrel

Not necessarily about the Dpad, but since this is the closest thing we've got to a Switch Pro thread.... Mayflash has a new adapter coming out in August that seems to be the successor to the Wii U Pro to PC adapter (which was awesome).
http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html

I'm really curious about how this works. It has Xinput and Dinput modes, like the Wii U adapter did, and if it fully functions both ways then it would be an improvement over the current bluetooth only connection, which doesn't always work well (right analog doesn't respond in a lot of games). Problem is that with the analog stick issues, you may get a stick that only registers 80% at full tilt and few games seem to recognize the Windows calibration settings, so you still may have an unusable controller even if it connects perfectly.

It has a USB port and says you can use a wired connection to PC, which is interesting. A few people on GBAtemp have been trying to get the wired mode to work and have found a lot of quirks with it, so if this works just like on the console it'll be impressive. No mention of rumble and motion control is definitely not going to work; I had emailed earlier in the year to suggest that they include a "DS4 mode" where the Switch Pro could be recognized as a DS4 and then take advantage of all the motion control options that gamepad has, like Steam's configuration. Doesn't seem like that's happening, but it has updateable firmware, so who knows. If the wired connection works maybe it'll open up more doors for modders to get to the gyro. It would really suck to use this as a stick-only controller knowing that it has potential for great gyro aim.

There are good and bad d-pad's?
Is there a way to find out which version you're buying?

Have Nintendo acknowledged the issue?

So yeah, I've been using it some more and still no wrong inputs. Unless it kicks in later it seems I really am good, so fine Switch Pro d-pads do appear to exist?

Yep, the quality can vary dramatically between controllers. My first Switch Pro was so bad I sent it in and was sent a replacement that's markedly better. This one still isn't up to Nintendo's usual standard- it still registers diagonals like mad when pressing down- but it doesn't register unwanted diagonals at all when pressing to the right. The other directions are acceptable... Somehow even within one controller itself, the D-pad quality is really inconsistent depending on the direction.

This issue existed on past Nintendo pads too, but it was never bad enough to get this kind of attention. I have two Wii U Pros, one which has some diagonal input (but only when you firmly wiggle up or down) and another that's absolutely rock solid, no bad inputs at all.

I assume that there are a few Switch Pros out there that probably do have great D pads, but the odds of getting one are slim, and when you consider that people have a lot of problems with the analog sticks as well, the odds of getting a really all around great Pro controller are not good. Which is ridiculous for a $70 controller. It at least feels really great and I'd consider it the best controller I've ever used if it didn't have these issues. It would also help if it wasn't a pain in the ass to use on PC.

Definitely going to try this. I took it apart once already just to see if I could get any insight into the problem (I didn't), and while it's harder to disassemble than any other Nintendo controller it's still not that hard. If you've ever taken a Nintendo pad apart before, the main differences here are the detachable grips/casing being a little more complicated to open and the ribbon cable connectors that have to be unlatched. I'll definitely post whether it worked or not... the reactions on reddit make me really hopeful this finally fixes it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not necessarily about the Dpad, but since this is the closest thing we've got to a Switch Pro thread.... Mayflash has a new adapter coming out in August that seems to be the successor to the Wii U Pro to PC adapter (which was awesome).
http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html

Thank you for posting this, that will probably be the option I go with. I use the PC adapter and it works perfectly.

-Wirelessly connect your PS4, PS3, Nintendo Switch Pro, Nintendo Switch Joy-Con, Wii U Pro, and Xbox One S Bluetooth controllers to your Nintendo Switch, PS3 or PC system.

-The wired PS4, PS3, Nintendo Switch Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox 360 controllers and fight sticks, and standard wired USB controllers like Logitech rumble gamepad F510 and F310 can be connected to your Nintendo Switch, PS3 and PC system.

Nintendo D-Pads are hit-or-miss.

NES - (the first!) Shit
Gameboy/Color - Great
SNES - Great
N64 - Okay
Gameboy Advance - Okay
GameCube - Awful
Gameboy SP - Solid
DS Phat - Solid
GB Micro - Great
DS Lite - Good
Wii Remote - serviceable
Wii Classic Controller/Pro - Great
3DS Series - Serviceable
Wii U Gamepad - Great
Wii U Pro - Great
Switch Joycons - Non-existent
Switch Pro - Shit

Full-circle.

DS lite dpad actually sucks a lot though? Can't really rock it, mushy... always felt serviceable at best to me.

Switch id rank somewhere between bad and serviceable. Seems like something that could 100% be fixed with a slight revision tho.

Nerrel

It works:
switch-pro-04-small.jpg
The tape mod linked above did make a dramatic reduction in diagonal inputs. It takes a lot of fidgeting and you may have to disassemble a few times until you get the tape just right, but you can fix this problem using nothing but a screwdriver and scotch tape. The poster on reddit hypothesized that the adjacent contacts were being pressed down on the innermost part of the circle, demonstrated in green:

Which is why blocking that segment with tape works. You want to make sure that you go as far as these red bars at minimum; I tried to stop at just halfway and still had some unwanted inputs.

I'd say to go far enough to cover that pointed little nub that protrudes out from the halfway point of the contact. If you have a really problematic D-pad, you could go slightly farther across the contacts. I also took care not to overlap any tape and kept each piece entirely separate to keep the profile low and I don't feel any change in the D-pad's action. I also haven't had a problem with any directions being less responsive or failing to register.

Down was the worst direction on my pad, registering left and right input really easily, and it still does it (just not as badly). I could probably fix it by covering more of the lower half of the left and right contacts. But otherwise it feels pretty much how you expect a Nintendo D-pad to. It's definitely on par with the amount of diagonal wiggle I get from my Wii U controllers.

Raimond

The dpad issue us the reason I've held out on buying a pro controller.

I've actually been waiting for the splatoon controller to see if it fixes anything!

Persona7

Banned
Tested the Splatoon controller today and there is no difference between previous controllers. Same issue with the D-Pad. Luckily gamestop will take opened accessories for a full refund.

Moreche

It works:

The tape mod linked above did make a dramatic reduction in diagonal inputs. It takes a lot of fidgeting and you may have to disassemble a few times until you get the tape just right, but you can fix this problem using nothing but a screwdriver and scotch tape. The poster on reddit hypothesized that the adjacent contacts were being pressed down on the innermost part of the circle, demonstrated in green:

Which is why blocking that segment with tape works. You want to make sure that you go as far as these red bars at minimum; I tried to stop at just halfway and still had some unwanted inputs.

I'd say to go far enough to cover that pointed little nub that protrudes out from the halfway point of the contact. If you have a really problematic D-pad, you could go slightly farther across the contacts. I also took care not to overlap any tape and kept each piece entirely separate to keep the profile low and I don't feel any change in the D-pad's action. I also haven't had a problem with any directions being less responsive or failing to register.

Down was the worst direction on my pad, registering left and right input really easily, and it still does it (just not as badly). I could probably fix it by covering more of the lower half of the left and right contacts. But otherwise it feels pretty much how you expect a Nintendo D-pad to. It's definitely on par with the amount of diagonal wiggle I get from my Wii U controllers.
Just did this and it works too.
Really easy to do and fix s the problem.

gohanrage

I think everyone having the problem should be complaining to Nintendo directly.

I have heard about this issue all over the internet and the only way its going to get a permanent fix is if enough people complain.

its so strange because Nintendo had a patent on the plus D-pad for years and now they are making faulty d-pads

I was thinking it would be great for playing Ultra Street Fighter II but not if when your trying to press left and right and the controller is making your character jump or duck instead.

if you have contacted Nintendo Good for you. You will be the reason it gets fixed and I thank you

kaioshade

I did the tape on both of my Switch pro controllers, and it has made a world of difference. I will probably adjust the tape a bit tonight, but as a quick test, anyone on the fence should do it. It is easier than dealing with constant returns.

EmiPrime

6 months on and this is still a problem sadly and it really is as bad as people say. The pro controller I bought this weekend has the most inaccurate d-pad I have ever used.

Piers

Doubt there will be D-Pad joycon for a long while as Nintendo doesn't want people to break the symmetry of L+R joycons and local tablet multiplayer as a result. Even though people hardly do that.

Apologies for bumping, but is this still an issue? I just got my Switch and am looking into getting a Pro Controller. It's insane that these things cost $70 on Amazon, especially if this d-pad issue is still a thing...

Is it?

Nerrel

Apologies for bumping, but is this still an issue? I just got my Switch and am looking into getting a Pro Controller. It's insane that these things cost $70 on Amazon, especially if this d-pad issue is still a thing...

Is it?

I'm pretty sure it is, and I doubt anything will change during the console's lifespan. If you really want one, you'll just have to hope you get one of the better D-pads and be prepared to tape it up if you don't.

Blizzard

Banned

Is it?
I'm in this same situation. I'm a relatively new Switch owner, going to finally start using the thing when Mario comes out. Does anyone have any last-minute warnings before I pull the trigger on this set of purchases?

switchgmotp.png

The Wii U pro controller is great, but the crazy price of the Switch pro controller finally convinced me to go with the Horipad especially with the dpad issue. I saw the wireless adapter but I'm not sure about lag.

Nerrel

I haven't had any problems with my Switch Pro controller. The DPAD works great.

You really need to clarify what games you've been using it for, since not having a problem while playing Zelda isn't the same thing as not having a problem in a game that actively uses that pad.

The best test is to go to your system settings, start the input/button test, and then hold a direction on the pad and wiggle it in the adjacent directions. If you hold down right and wiggle up/down and the controller registers up/down inputs, you have a bad D-pad. Do it with every blade... it's 90% likely that one or two of directions will have major problems with this.

If you can actually pull this off in all 4 directions without registering any diagonals, then you can say your D pad is great.

I own 3 pro controllers and I've played puyo puyo Tetris with all 3. Only experienced issues with one of them fast dropping without pressing up on the dpad.

I'm in this same situation. I'm a relatively new Switch owner, going to finally start using the thing when Mario comes out. Does anyone have any last-minute warnings before I pull the trigger on this set of purchases?

switchgmotp.png

The Wii U pro controller is great, but the crazy price of the Switch pro controller finally convinced me to go with the Horipad especially with the dpad issue. I saw the wireless adapter but I'm not sure about lag.
Never even thought about looking into the Hori pad. Interesting....

Also your image made me realize I need to buy a microSD card. Are you buying that one for any specific reason? Is it a quality card?

And that screen protector is what I am currently using and it's GREAT. Can't recommend it enough. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Never even thought about looking into the Hori pad. Interesting....

Also your image made me realize I need to buy a microSD card. Are you buying that one for any specific reason? Is it a quality card?

And that screen protector is what I am currently using and it's GREAT. Can't recommend it enough. :)
I got a link to that microSD card from a different Switch thread that was recently active. I don't know any firsthand accounts on GAF, but reviews on Amazon are high and multiple people are saying it works fine in the Switch.

And even if the Switch pro controller is fine, the fact that I can get a controller + microSD for the same price as a pro controller is worth it to me. I have very little interest in Amiibo functionality right now.

ADS

If anyone is wondering this still hasn't been fixed.

I ordered a Pro Controller from Amazon over the weekend in preparation for Mario and it arrived today. The dpad is awful.

The dpad works ...adequately... enough for menus and Zelda, but I play a lot of Slime-san (awesome game btw), which requires very precise 4-way dashes, and it's borderline unplayable. Even when doing a strong positive press in one direction I frequently get incorrect ghost inputs. I own a Pokken controller too which thankfully actually works, but it's annoying to have to switch controllers for different games.

I honestly cannot believe how bad the dpad is. Reading impressions I assumed people were exaggerating. How did this get by testing?

I love the way the controller feels in my hand, and the analog sticks are great, but with this garbage dpad and the fact I paid $70 I feel like I got scammed.

adroit

I honestly cannot believe how bad the dpad is. Reading impressions I assumed people were exaggerating. How did this get by testing?

Even if NCL is ignoring the whining in the west, how are they not getting the message in Japan? I will never forget the video a Japanese woman made to demonstrate how slow the Wii U system interface was at launch. Is no one complaining about the d-pad in Japan? Maybe no one in Japan plays on their TV. So no Pro Cons.

I have a pre-order for the Xenoblade Pro Con but I'm strongly considering canceling it and living with the dogtroller (Joy Con grip).

Update: I've canceled my Xenoblade Pro Con pre-order. I'm glad I no longer have to worry about it.

NimbusD

If anyone is wondering this still hasn't been fixed.

I ordered a Pro Controller from Amazon over the weekend in preparation for Mario and it arrived today. The dpad is awful.

The dpad works ...adequately... enough for menus and Zelda, but I play a lot of Slime-san (awesome game btw), which requires very precise 4-way dashes, and it's borderline unplayable. Even when doing a strong positive press in one direction I frequently get incorrect ghost inputs. I own a Pokken controller too which thankfully actually works, but it's annoying to have to switch controllers for different games.

I love the way the controller feels in my hand, and the analog sticks are great, but with this garbage dpad and the fact I paid $70 I feel like I got scammed.
Yep. It's pretty much the reason that I stopped purchasing or even playing 2d games on switch. It's insane that this hasn't been addressed. Spent way too much money for this to be broken by design.

Top Bottom