• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls' budget is $27M

You know girls really do walk around their houses like that when alone/with company they're comfortable with. They also shower, don't know the context in this game, but I don't remember it being completely out of place in Heavy rain, not exactly needed but not just tacked on for the whole "boobies!!" bonus points games get.

This. And some of them walk around their house fully naked or at least with breasts bare when they're alone or with company they're comfortable with. It's not that big of a deal *shrug*.

On topic...I thought it was fairly obvious that Beyond was considered an "AAA" project, or at least somewhere between mid-tier and AAA, from the day it was first announced and shown.

Artanisix

Good heavens those guys are wizards. Fooled my eye into thinking this was a live action shot from a movie until it looped the 3rd or 4th time and I saw the aliasing on the coffee maker. These guys are going to do some ridiculous shit on the new hardware.

Holy shit, I actually thought it was from a movie until you pointed that out.

Can't wait for Ellen Page: The Game.

Vashetti

Banned
Well then this game is fucked from a financial standpoint. It's coming out at a bad time IMO.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It'll sell very well at launch.

Not to mention that I'm sure that they will release a PS4 version. Or at least, I strongly hope so. Sony knows that some people want these last PS3 games they're releasing with better resolution and framerate.

Well, after BEYOND, they have one exclusive game left in their contract ;)

Don't think QD will go out from being 2nd party dev. Sony is probably the only publisher who gives them the liberty to do whatever they like. Other publishers wouldn't like, I dunno, a story involving the kidnapping of a child.

Theecliff

Banned
Still in two minds over whether or not to preorder this. It looks good, but I've never played a QD game so have no idea if I'll like this at all.

Also, dayum at those Ellen gifs...

Edit: Holy shizbits, when the hell did I become a member?!

You know girls really do walk around their houses like that when alone/with company they're comfortable with. They also shower, don't know the context in this game, but I don't remember it being completely out of place in Heavy rain, not exactly needed but not just tacked on for the whole "boobies!!" bonus points games get.

What do you call a scene in Heavy Rain where the main character has an interactive nightmare where she wakes up just before getting raped...

.... And the game doesn't explain or mention why she's having these dreams?

Lime

Do we have any previous cases of a highly marketed AAA game with popular celebrities as the forefront of the game and its marketing? And what are the successes of such cases?

I am of the belief that the names of Page and Dafoe will make this title much more popular and bleed over into the less traditional gaming enthusiasts.

Derrick01

Banned

He's right though. Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Batman and NBA 2k are all coming out in October as well. And GTA sales are still going to be strong as well, even more so when Online finally launches in October and word starts spreading about it. This game isn't launching in February like Heavy Rain did.

Guri

I think that's more about being smart about the budget and not overspending. And I think there are some great examples of how to do it. The Witcher 2 was 10 million, Metro Last Light wasn't also that expensive. By the way, all of them made in Europe. Surely the salaries and manpower there cost less.

I think that's more about being smart about the budget and not overspending. And I think there are some great examples of how to do it. The Witcher 2 was 10 million, Metro Last Light wasn't also that expensive. By the way, all of them made in Europe. Surely the salaries and manpower there cost less.

You'd be wrong. Salaries, taxes, and other costs are much higher in France, at least compared to Eastern Europe.

Dantis

What do you call a scene in Heavy Rain where the main character has an interactive nightmare where she wakes up just before getting raped...

Er... I feel like this might be your own interpretation of the scene here.

I think poor reviews will probably hurt sales of this game more than the timing. Last hands on impressions I read suggested that the gameplay is a mess.

S¡mon

Banned
I thought HR's budget was tiny, didn't they say they expected it to sell like 500k or something?
I believe Sony expected that Heavy Rain would not make them any money - in fact, they would lose money. In the end Heavy Rain ended up doing much better than they expected and Sony made a profit.

Well then this game is fucked from a financial standpoint. It's coming out at a bad time IMO.
While the timing isn't as optimal as Heavy Rain, Beyond is far away from being fucked.

He's right though. Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Batman and NBA 2k are all coming out in October as well. And GTA sales are still going to be strong as well, even more so when Online finally launches in October and word starts spreading about it. This game isn't launching in February like Heavy Rain did.
I don't see it bombing still. You can't trust chartz, but I wouldn't be too surprised if pre-order numbers are higher than Heavy Rain at this point. If it reviews well it will get enough good word of mouth to sell decently. Also Ellen Page and better marketing this time around. Heavy Rain sold 200k without a single ad in the US in the first month. Also you have to consider that a lot of female non-gamers enjoy these kind of games, so the audience is a bit different from GTA and Battlefield as well.

Still in two minds over whether or not to preorder this. It looks good, but I've never played a QD game so have no idea if I'll like this at all.!
Play the demo then ;)

She doesn't get raped, even if you fail the QTEs. It's not even implied. Also Insomnia, because she had a "tough time" (later revealed to come from her time as a war journalist in Iraq).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

The game does explain it. She suffers from PTSD.

I think poor reviews will probably hurt sales of this game more than the timing. Last hands on impressions I read suggested that the gameplay is a mess.
Apparently you missed the latest batch of previews then. The gameplay is perfectly fine once you play the game from the beginning and are introduced to the mechanics properly. I expect Beyond is going to review similarly to Heavy Rain or better. So pretty good.

I thought I read somewhere that it's not a mess anymore? confused...........
It's not. He is probably still talking about E3. All the impressions afterwards (gamescom, PAX and 3 hour preview code) were almost completely positive.

Setsuna

The game does explain it. She suffers from PTSD.

im pretty sue the game only explains that she has insomnia and that shes had insomnia for years

it wasnt until some extra information was released that found out the she had post traumatic stress disorder from her journalism in the iraq war

madison was not about to get raped.

everyone has nightmares, no need to explain why someone has one.

Using Tomb Raider as an example of budget problems is not correct (same for using Witcher 3 for example).

Witcher 3 is made in poland where development costs are significantly lower while with Tomb Raider, that cost is because of the development hell the game had been ( A la Superman returns). It should also be noted that even though Square-Enix thought Tomb Raider underperformed, it STILL has done enough sales that SE has a sequel planned.

That said, THIS IS CRAZY HIGH.
Modern Warfare cost 40 million (including marketing) AND is a title designed for a large fanbase and COD:Blop is roughly the same cost including marketing.

Sure, there are games like GTA V but games costing like GTAV type of money can be counted on one hand.

I believe Madison wakes up shortly before a knife is about to be plunged into her while she's pinned down on her bed. Been awhile since I've played it though
No, she is in the bathroom, not on her bed.

Using Tomb Raider as an example of budget problems is not correct (same for using Witcher 3 for example).

Witcher 3 is made in poland where development costs are significantly lower while with Tomb Raider, that cost is because of the development hell the game had been ( A la Superman returns). It should also be noted that even though Square-Enix thought Tomb Raider underperformed, it STILL has done enough sales that SE has a sequel planned.

That said, THIS IS CRAZY HIGH.
Modern Warfare cost 40 million (including marketing) AND is a title designed for a large fanbase and COD:Blop is roughly the same cost including marketing.

Sure, there are games like GTA V but games costing like GTAV type of money can be counted on one hand.
$27M isn't high at all. And CoD:Blops is nowhere near 40 million with marketing included. The marketing alone is 40 million or more probably. The Last of Us, God of War 3, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3 and most other AAA games in recent memory had a higher budget than $27M.

KKRT00

$27M isn't high at all. And CoD:Blops is nowhere near 40 million with marketing included. The marketing alone is 40 million or more probably. The Last of Us, God of War 3, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3 and most other AAA games in recent memory had a higher budget than $27M.

27m$ is without marketing and most game showed numbers with marketing costs.

Sorian

Banned

I thought the whole purpose of that dream was to drive home the point that if you fuck up in the game, the character can and will die. Made sense to me as a kind of "warning" for that.

27m$ is without marketing and most game showed numbers with marketing costs.
True, but the dev costs are still higher than $27M for many AAA games in recent memory. And since this is Sony the total costs including marketing probably won't go above $40M. So this is pretty reasonable for a new ambitious IP.

I'm just not feeling the hype for it. I feel like now that GTAV has released everyone is ready to focus on the new consoles.
People aren't suddenly going to stop buying games for their PS3. The amount of people buying a PS4 at launch is minimal compared to the PS3 install base. The hype for Heavy Rain was about the same as Beyond, maybe even lower. It got stronger once the demo and the pretty good reviews came out for it. I expect the same for Beyond. Actual pre-order numbers are probably even higher than Heavy Rain, which did most of its sales post launch. Word of mouth is essential for a title like this. It will do fine, even without NeoGAF hype.

Again, people are coming up with some weird numbers.

Crysis 3 cost 66 miilion to make but that INCLUDES making the Cryengine 3 which they are shopping around

Do you think engine development is cheap?

The biggest cost in development is advertising..a prime example is the witcher 3 itself. The developers have gone on record stating their MARKETING budget is higher than the development of the game itself.

A 1 million dollar ad campaign nets you diddly SQUAT in terms of exposure.

Not really. Beyond comes out in October 8th in the states whereas all the heavy hitters are releasing late October, early November.

If this game gets 1.5 million+ sales I'm sure Sony/Quantic Deam will be satisfied.

Vizzeh

Banned
Well it's about 1/5th the cost Tomb raider took to make and they have an engine that we know looks very nice on the PS4 despite only being half ported over, which is what the dark sorcerer was. I think thats a pretty small development budget for the impact this game will make, I'm pretty sure I've seen hardware bundles around and the Visuals will be used to avertise the PS3 for a long time.

Are you referring to the dark sorcerer demo? If not I wanna see links :)

Again, people are coming up with some weird numbers.

Crysis 3 cost 66 miilion to make but that INCLUDES making the Cryengine 3 which they are shopping around

Do you think engine development is cheap?
No, but Quantic Dream created a new engine for Beyond too. It's not even remotely as advanced as the CryEngine 3 and not multi-platform either, that doesn't mean it was cheap. They have about 60 people working in R&D alone. Also I wouldn't be too surprised if the budget includes the making of the Kara demo.

The biggest cost in development is advertising..a prime example is the witcher 3 itself. The developers have gone on record stating their MARKETING budget is higher than the development of the game itself.

A 1 million dollar ad campaign nets you diddly SQUAT in terms of exposure.
Not for Sony though. They suck at marketing (maybe on purpose lol).

Artex

Banned
I think what I'm saying ladies and gentleman is that I'm not seeing any marketing. I know it is still early but if it wasn't for E3 and other gaming related conventions I wouldn't even know it existed. For something with a large budget and mainstream appeal (identifiable actors/actresses) I would expect more fanfare around it.

I think what I'm saying ladies and gentleman is that I'm not seeing any marketing. I know it is still early but if it wasn't for E3 and other gaming related conventions I wouldn't even know it existed. For something with a large budget and mainstream appeal (identifiable actors/actresses) I would expect more fanfare around it.
Again, the same pretty much happened with Heavy Rain. It only got noticed, because everyone talked about it after the release.

Beyond is getting more marketing though. There are ads running on YouTube right now, a truck with playable demo stations inside is touring through Germany, the producers are currently on a worldwide promotion tour, Ellen Page is promoting it highly on her much followed twitter page and then there is the TV spot that is probably going to air in the US soon or maybe is running right now. It has a lot of views already.

Marketing is doing alright. Casuals will notice it. Beyond is big, but never was 3+ million sales right of the bat big and is not intended to be. The genre is still niche.

There seems to be a fair amount of promotion in GAME stores i've noticed. Other than that it just seems pointless trying to shout louder than the FIFA and GTA adverts that are all over the place at the moment.

Skeff

The only marketing they'll need is this:

Beyond-thumb.jpg

But obviously in higher quality not just the thumbnail, It will carve out a place for itself just as Heavy rain did, I expect it to match Heavy rains 3 million sales.

Top Bottom