• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls - Review Thread

Guys, he wants to discuss the game. He can't make threads yet, so he used this one. What's the big deal?

I've been thinking about trying this game. I recently replayed Heavy Rain with a friend and it was still a lot of fun. Makes me wonder what Beyond is like by comparison.

Really similar to HR, but not as good. Still worth playing if you were a fan of HR though.

Neiteio

Really similar to HR, but not as good. Still worth playing if you were a fan of HR though.
Heavy Rain is so much fun to play with a friend. The story is legitimately intriguing but there are so many goofy-ass moments like the chicken-chucker in the market chase. I love that. Is Beyond endearingly dumb, as well?

Bladenic

I liked the game in my playthrough. Was fun and different, and Ellen Page knocked it out. David Cage definitely isn't a very good writer though (if he wrote the game). Beyond was massively improved from Heavy Rain IMO

Tookay

Heavy Rain is so much fun to play with a friend. The story is legitimately intriguing but there are so many goofy-ass moments like the chicken-chucker in the market chase. I love that. Is Beyond endearingly dumb, as well?

It's more morose dumb than endearingly dumb.

Though the kid's party is kinda funny.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I don't think beyond is dumb. But I think it lacks focus, and the plot doesn't resonate nearly as well as heavy rain.

Absolutely. It's way better acted since they have a better cast, but the writing hasn't evolved much.

I don't think beyond is dumb. But I think it lacks focus, and the plot doesn't resonate nearly as well as heavy rain.

HR had the "permadead" character stays dead for good thing which makes it a tad more gripping.

But B2S was cheap $15? during that sale and it plays pretty good. Looks incredible on PS4. Wrecking shit with the ghost is hilairous. The first room where you get to test the powers was also hilarious if you go crazy.

and recognisable characters (actors) in this adds something to the game too.

Neiteio

Yeah. Both HR and it got remastered.
What the hell?! When did this happen?!

I'm looking at it on Amazon. If I had known this existed, my friend and I would've gone through HR on PS4, which would be presumably devoid of screen-tearing.

Is the remaster good? What improved? Resolution, framerate, AA, etc?

RSB

Banned
I've been thinking about trying this game. I recently replayed Heavy Rain with a friend and it was still a lot of fun. Makes me wonder what Beyond is like by comparison.
If you liked playing Heavy Rain with a friend I think you'd enjoy Beyond. The co-op mode is quite fun, even if you are playing with someone with very little experience with videogames.

I already have both on PS3, but there was a sale recently (20 bucks for both) and I got them on PS4. They are both great, although I still prefer Beyond Two Souls, personally.

PS: If you ever get the PS4 version, be sure to play the game in the original order. The new (mostly) chronological order they added has much worse pacing IMO.

Neiteio

If you liked playing Heavy Rain with a friend I think you'd enjoy Beyond. The co-op mode is quite fun, even if you are playing with someone with very little experience with videogames.

I already have both on PS3, but there was a sale recently (20 bucks for both) and I got them on PS4. They are both great, although I still prefer Beyond Two Souls, personally.

PS: If you ever get the PS4 version, be sure to play the game in the original order. The new (mostly) chronological order they added has much worse pacing IMO.
Ah, so original order — sounds good. What's the co-op like? My friend is not a gamer, so to speak, but he was able to control Heavy Rain since it doesn't use the right stick for the camera.

RSB

Banned
Ah, so original order — sounds good. What's the co-op like? My friend is not a gamer, so to speak, but he was able to control Heavy Rain since it doesn't use the right stick for the camera.
One player controls Jodie, and the other controls Aiden (the ghost) Each player also has the option to choose between the normal controls, or a simplified version. IMO is better to have the less experienced player control Jodie, since Aiden needs some familiarity with dual stick controls (and Aiden's simplified controls are kinda sucky)

Top Bottom