• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware ends SP patches and content for ME Andromeda, multiplayer will continue

Yeul

Was the character creator ever fixed?

In a sense. They updated it to allow you to swap complexions and made the hair options unisex, but it's still inferior by a large margin to DA:I's character creator. They took a gamble on using scanned faces but I think that kind of knee-capped them with how much you could customize it seems. I hope they don't go that route again.

Ploid 3.0

I really hope Dragon Age 4 doesn't share the same fate as this game. I'm so happy that they did this game instead of moving to DA4 like I wished would happen. Very unfortunate for fans of the series, but it makes me worry about what their future games will be like. I hope Anthem doesn't effect DA4's quality for the worse as well.

I need my fix of party real time with pause RPGs.

SpotlessShamelessAplomadofalcon-size_restricted.gif

Plasma

Banned
Expected but still extremely frustrating given the way they dangle a couple of story threads infront of you at the end of the game that they never resolve.

tootie923

I kind of figured 1.09/1.10 were the last SP patches, and then there was radio silence throughout most of August except for some multiplayer news. I've been playing single player for 50+ hours so far, no major problems.

Maledict

Fuck. Why couldn't they scrap Anthem and focus all of those resources on this? Is following the Destiny (albeit with a TPS) money that important? I guess it is...

In a way I hate Anthem for killing Andromeda, I know it's not fair to Anthem, but it definitely had a significant impact on what Andromeda ended up being and could not have been.

Anthem had nothing to do with this game failing. Seperate studios, and Andromeda was given more than enough resources and funding. They just fucked up, big style.

For once, this one really isn't on EA beyond giving an untested new studio a major franchise to play with (which you can was a silly risk - but then look at Guerilla Studios and Horizon Zwro Dawn, sometimes you need to give studios the chance to take risks).

Edit: I really hope they don't plan on replacing mass effect with Star Wars. I like Star Wars, but I'm utterly and completely sick of it in games. It's been done to death. I'd happily never see a lightsabre again.

Is the expectation that EA/Bioware bury the Mass Effect franchise completely now?
What are the chances of EA/Bioware admitting to the games mistakes and present us with another, better Mass Effect in the near future?
To kinda "make it up" to the fans, like a FF14 1.0 and A Realm Reborn situation?
The expectation is that they're going to get to Mass Effect when Dragon Age or Anthem aren't taking up Bioware's development resources... so maybe 5 years or so from now.

At that point, they might try a reboot, which they might fuck up if they insist on keeping the Reapers.

Damn how did they drop the ball with this franchise so hard? The OG ME3 ending really was a fuck up of monumental proportions, they pretty much killed off their own universe, though even in the fixed one I don't know how you're supposed write around the synthesis ending.

Well can't say I'm surprised, appreciate the support that the game did manage to get but then again can help but feel this game wasn't really what it was originally intended to be which is a shame. I completed two play throughouts and that was enough for me. Far from perfect but I enjoyed parts of it and other parts not so much. Hopefully this was a valuable learning experience for BioWare and thet take their time with Anthem.

At this point I could honesty careless if the series never returned or was rebooted in 5 years. I'm more interested to see BioWare actually learn from this and create better RPG's.

Damn how did they drop the ball with this franchise so hard? The OG ME3 ending really was a fuck up of monumental proportions, they pretty much killed off their own universe, though even in the fixed one I don't know how you're supposed write around the synthesis ending.
No one pointed out how stupid it was that they were making the whole thing revolve around a galaxy scale existential threat in a setting without the ability to defeat it before everything got ruined.

carlsojo

In this case we have to blame BioWare Montreal, EA gave them 5 fucking years and 40 million USD and they managed to fuck up Andromeda.

Yeah this is all Bioware. Fuck them for passing off their biggest franchise to an untested studio. And fuck Anthem too.

Such a shame this game happened.

Hey. At least EA admit they are abandoning it.

343 just kind of ghosted the MCC and pretend it never existed after a few months,

Which is a pity since at the time, the MCC announcement was amazing. I mean, what a compilation of games to give people. If you just wanted to play the campaigns, then you probably more than got your money's worth. Otherwise, damn.

Jetman

Damn. Yeah, realllly worried about Dragon Age 4 now. So much potential in that world and game that could just come crashing down if they make as big of a misstep there as they did with MEA.

Machina

Banned
Damn. Yeah, realllly worried about Dragon Age 4 now. So much potential in that world and game that could just come crashing down if they make as big of a misstep there as they did with MEA.

You should be worried just because it's Dragon Age.

Well, another beloved gaming franchise gets destroyed by the shambling, incompetent behemoth that is EA.

Still, at least Biowares main strengths of well written, intimate, character driven storytelling in intricately crafted, believable worlds is getting completely squandered on Anthem, So the studio is being almost entirely misused and it's potential utterly squandered to chase the shallow multiplayer shooter crowd that can easily turned be into whales, instead of making games for the audience that made Bioware worth buying in the first place. Yay!

Honestly, if it weren't for a new Dragonage being in the works, I'd actually be hoping for EA tojust hurry up and shut Bioware down. It's still going to happen, but at least we should get one last decent 'true' Bioware game out of it before the end.

Well, hopefully....

Any DLC wouldn't really be enough to really close off what they started unless they went crazy info-dump with it.

They really need one more game to try to finish the story.

Just leaving a who new start in the Andromeda galaxy at 1 game sucks.

I would be happy with a sequel that was super cheap and reused assets like crazy if it they could at least provide a conclusion.

Gator86

In this case we have to blame BioWare Montreal, EA gave them 5 fucking years and 40 million USD and they managed to fuck up Andromeda.

70 posts before someone actually blames the people responsible. Was EA supposed to give them 10 years and $80 million? Give them 2 or 3 support studios to help and torpedo other projects? Not sure how EA is the bad guy on this one outside of Pap EA memes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's going to take A LOT, for me to buy another Bioware game.

But I guess pulling all of your best talent off of a game will do that. They better pray Anthem was worth it, because EA is hovering over the big red button of shuttering.

What a disgrace.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wich Bioware is making that one?

It's about half of Edmonton and almost all of Austin, though most of the leads are the ME1-3 leads.

70 posts before someone actually blames the people responsible. Was EA supposed to give them 10 years and $80 million? Give them 2 or 3 support studios to help and torpedo other projects? Not sure how EA is the bad guy on this one outside of Pap EA memes.
The $40 budget thing was a Crowbcat joke. They very likely actually gave them an $80 million budget as it was.

Kamisori

Neo Member
For once, this one really isn't on EA beyond giving an untested new studio a major franchise to play with.
It is on EA at some level. I would be very surprised if Bioware (and more so Montréal) can develop and release a game without any kind of oversight during the production from EA.

That's certainly EA who said "yeah, even if the game is broken, you can release it, you'll buy it nevertheless" (that's not probably that but you understand the point).

At the end of the day it's an EA IP, funded by EA and is a major IP from their catalog, they had to have an oversight throughout the production.

Maximo

Err wut? Its EA's Fault they moved the key developers and creators to Anthem during production and handed it to a team that was way under skilled and under managed wasn't the fault of them.

Ralemont

not me
Fuck Bioware.

Idiots killed my favorite franchise. This has been so frustrating.

The franchise would have been over after ME3 otherwise. BW Edmonton thought the ME story had been told and wanted to make Anthem.

Err wut? Its EA's Fault they moved the key developers and creators during production and handed it to a team that was way under skilled and under managed wasn't the fault of them.

The key developers moved themselves after ME3. And Montreal wasn't undermanaged, they had bad managers.

Top Bottom