• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare teasing next Mass Effect [Up4: Fourth Pic (1 LQ offscreen, 3 concept art)]

AJ_Wings

Wants:

- Sequel
- Self contained story (no more trilogies)
- Much smaller, more personal end goal (not one mention of 'saving the universe')

This and retcon Cerberus out of existence pretty please. Enough of that shitty, plot-hole singularity of a terrorist organization.

Lakitu

st5fu
I hope they bring back hubs and that feeling of discovery. I agree with the posts here that I want it to be a smaller-scale story and perhaps more character based like Mass Effect 2. Give us fun and diverse missions that aren't solely based on combat either.

Also, no planet mini-games whatsoever please.

I hope they bring back hubs and that feeling of discovery. I agree with the posts here that I want it to be a smaller-scale story and perhaps more character based like Mass Effect 2. Give us fun and diverse missions that aren't solely based on combat either.

Also, no planet mini-games whatsoever please.

Planet scanning was a zen experience what are you talking about

Sheroking

alternate universe with familiar/unfamiliar places/people/events/timelines.

I would hump that.

I don't think you need an alternate universe. Just a huge time jump.

Star Wars needs the same but won't get it, because people are too fixated on seeing old Han Solo and old Luke Skywalker.

prag16

Banned
ME4 confirmed to be garbage. Confirmed to be a gamefly rental at best for me.

I'll still buy it day one like an asshole. But I have no idea how Bioware/EA actually thinks Mac "lots of speculation for everyone" Walters did a good job, and deserves another crack.

They should be on their knees begging for Drew Karpyshyn to come back.

I don't think you need an alternate universe. Just a huge time jump.

Star Wars needs the same but won't get it, because people are too fixated on seeing old Han Solo and old Luke Skywalker.

Off topic, but I don't think Star Wars is in desperate need of a huge time jump. Just don't focus too heavily on the aging heroes of old. Except maybe Harrison Ford. He's still a badass. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher on the other hand haven't aged well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
When are the VGAs again so I can set myself for ultimate disappointment(no teaser at all shown) after weeks of hyping?

masterkajo

I'll still buy it day one like an asshole. But I have no idea how Bioware/EA actually thinks Mac "lots of speculation for everyone" Walters did a good job, and deserves another crack.

They should be on their knees begging for Drew Karpyshyn to come back.

Off topic, but I don't think Star Wars is in desperate need of a huge time jump. Just don't focus too heavily on the aging heroes of old. Except maybe Harrison Ford. He's still a badass. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher on the other hand haven't aged well.

Then and only then I might consider to inform myself about the next Mass Effect.

Taker34

Banned
looks like the usual generic stuff from the concept factory.

smh9vk68.gif

Zen

Banned
I don't see Prothean battle armour, and I don't think they'd gamble on a setting totally devoid of not only humans, but a considerable chunk of the established universe that fans got attached to. Humans are that rock I think necessary to make it a mass market title, and Prothean era not only denies the game that, but also Turian, Asari, Quarian, Geth, Krogan, and every other species.[/quote[

Really? The arms and frame look 100% Prothean to me (credit to Fedele!)

Also Quarians were still around in the Prothean era I can't remember what other races Jarvic mentioned. I eman eyah, they weren't space fairing at that point but he did say Quarians were considered quite beautiful in his time.

A truly blank slate would be cool, but I don't see them doing it. Not with the amount of work required, and the gamble it would be with the series.

If it's a prequel, I figure their options are pretty limited. Either:
- Very early days of human exploration, covering conflict with the Batarians. Reaper threat irrelevant.
- First contact war. Extremely limited without major retcons introducing species and conflict in more prominent roles.

Otherwise it has to be set sometime in the trilogy (While Shepard was comatose? During the ME3 war?), or they gotta go sequel.

Their fanbase overwhelmingly voted that they wanted 'the ability to choose your own race a la dragon age' but you could be right that they would be unwilling to not have humans. I get the feeling that this will be a prequel. The fanbase overwhelmingly voted against it, but they've been clear that this isn't Mass Effect 4, so they have some leeway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Really? The arms and frame look 100% Prothean to me (credit to Fedele!)

Yeah, I still don't see it. Boots instead of forked shoes. Rounded helmet. Looks like a human to me.

I do hope that's not a Ceberus logo on the shoulder.

Mindlog

Cerberus represents their best chance to muddle 'renegade' and 'paragon.' With just a few tweaks it's easily one of their strongest factions. Sort of like STG and the Genophage.

Speaking of Protheans and Soundtracks. Prothean Beacon was one of my favorites. It does a good job mixing as both an atmosphere and battle track.

Yeah I compared again to what someone listed and it's definitely ME3 multiplayer.
It's still a useful picture. Casey tweeted it in direct reference to the new game and it's showing their office at work on it. Yea it's an ME3 screen. What do you think it's on the screen for? They're not playing ME3 matches in that office, they're developing the game, hence the caption of the image being "we're hard at work on the next game". :)

Most likely using it as a base for the next multiplayer in the next game, I think it's very relevant, no?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's still a useful picture. Casey tweeted it in direct reference to the new game and it's showing their office at work on it. Yea it's an ME3 screen. What do you think it's on the screen for? They're not playing ME3 matches in that office, they're developing the game, hence the caption of the image being "we're hard at work on the next game". :)

Most likely using it as a base for the next multiplayer in the next game, I think it's very relevant, no?

You can put it back in if you like.

The game definitely has multiplayer given they have many job postings for that.

i-Lo

To this day, ME1 still remains my favourite in terms of soundtrack. In recent times, I can only think of TLoU that does what ME1 did. ME2 and 3 shifted more toward traditional orchestral arrangements and I feel it has lost somewhat of its identity imbued by the unique collection of soundtrack from the franchise starter.

These felt otherworldly:

Normandy

Saren

Citadel

Presidium

The Ward

Liara's World

Feros

Virmire Ride Music

Uncharted Worlds (Galaxy Map)

Ilos

Vigil

These are some of the tracks that remain unique and memorable untouched by time. I really hope that franchise comes back to their roots this time around.

Mustn't forget: Uplink

i-Lo

fe...male....?

Shepard looks pretty male to me.

I wonder, given what we have seen from Ryse, how close will we get to this:

mass_effect_2_1_by_gifsandmore-d6d7cvn.gif

Of course, w/o proper facial animation, things could actually get uglier overall. Dat Shepard smile *cringe*

foxtrot3d

Banned
This is literally the only series in any medium to give me so much joy and at the same time SO much pain when I think about it.

Proper animation is one of my top things I want fixed in this next game. No matter robot running and weird walks. Give me mocap please.

Valnen

mass_effect_2_1_by_gifsandmore-d6d7cvn.gif

Of course, w/o proper facial animation, things could actually get uglier overall. Dat Shepard smile *cringe*

Looks very doable if The Order or Quantum's tech demo is anything to go by.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Proper animation is one of my top things I want fixed in this next game. No matter robot running and weird walks. Give me mocap please.

I really don't see that happening unless you want a more linear game with less choice. I believe the structure of Mass Effect makes the idea of mo-capping every scene too expensive.

I really don't see that happening unless you want a more linear game with less choice. I believe the structure of Mass Effect makes the idea of mo-capping every scene too expensive.
A mocapped running/walking animation can just be put on a loop, nothing out of the ordinary.

Other games with mocap have just as many cutscenes as an ME game, it shouldn't be impossible.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/193/f/9/mass_effect_2_1_by_gifsandmore-d6d7cvn.gif[IMG]

Of course, w/o proper facial animation, things could actually get uglier overall. Dat Shepard smile *cringe*[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://s8.postimg.org/f3snt5cmd/untitled2.png

Dany

Banned
What made the ending bad was that it came our of no where. The concept was completely awful an no 'writing' could salvage it.

Dany

Banned
Oh! I'll just get mass effect trilogy on the ps store. Sweet. A fresh start on a new platform. How is the framerate in the first game, same like Xbox?

To this day, ME1 still remains my favourite in terms of soundtrack. In recent times, I can only think of TLoU that does what ME1 did. ME2 and 3 shifted more toward traditional orchestral arrangements and I feel it has lost somewhat of its identity imbued by the unique collection of soundtrack from the franchise starter.

Agreed, ME1 was my favourite, followed by ME2 (Suicide Mission track was awesome). I said at the time Clint Mansell got hired for ME3, that it was a bad idea and I still believe that. Hopefully they get Jack Wall back, as his tracks were by far the best and most iconic.

Top Bottom