• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II on Wii U has more players than Killzone: Shadow Fall

Maybe also inside of me its a way to protest for the lack of good games on ps4 and quality of free content for ps+ , compare to a system who imo, getting getter AAA exclusives fir this year. Atm, the wii u fills my need when my shiny ps4 atm is collecting dust. Wanted to try out killzone shadowfalls multiplayer for the fun of it, and oh wait, my ps+ subcription is over, that mean now with only the ps4 , without a ps3, well i got to pay for online gaming. ( kinda forgot about that , a bit ).

Maybe also, its one of the reasons i kinda hate microsoft in the past when i realise i need to pay to play online, and now, well , i feel kind of a bit of the same toward sony.

I WILL KEEP MY PS4!!!

But for now, free gaming is a great thing.And only Wii u is offering that. BO 2, i just got it, and im still having a blast playing it. Too bad i cant give a try at killzone. But paying for just that atm on ps+ is not justifying .

if you think towerfall and trine 2 are a bad choice of games ...you should quit gaming

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I started playing my clearance copy of Blops 2 on Wii U today and I'm loving it; now I kinda wish I had played this on 360 when it came out (it was the first COD that I skipped). It looks and feels great, and getting used to the Pro Controller isn't so bad (switching to Classic button layout helped).

I was playing at around 4pm EST and there were 1,900+ people online.

Renta

Banned
I was thrilled to get into a couple matches of Spies vs. Mercs on Splintercell a couple of days ago on Wii U. More people should be playing that game online.

Oh hell yeah. I was about to hop on that next. Had some good times when that first came out.

Hasn't this always been the case with Killzone games?

I really hope Guerrilla Games' new IP is a big success. The more reasons to leave the Killzone franchise behind the better.
It already is sounding more interesting to me. They're a talented studio, but they need to spread their wings a little, and delve into other genras and art styles.

Tried it with Resident Evil 4. The wiimote aiming was definitely faster but the pace of that game overall is much slower than CoD, even in mercenaries mode. When you aim in RE4 it becomes a mini light gun game, so of course the wiimote is superior in that case.

CoD doesn't really play like a light gun game. You have to be mobile very consistently.
I never used the Wiimote but I've been killed by lots of people using Wiimotes and I can tell from the replay's that it is a lot better than you think it is.
I hopped on Ninja Gaiden RE WiiU after seeing this thread... And people are still playing!

Sweet. Was wondering if it was. I gotta get that game back from a friend of mine.

Koh

I never even tried the multiplayer and I own Killzone SF. I bought it to see the visuals of the PS4 at launch and have some fun playing through the campaign.

I generally buy a game with the intention of it being single or multiplayer, rarely both. Tomb raider, TLOU, Uncharted series, and Killzone are examples where I never touched the multiplayer regardless of how lauded it may be. However, in Battlefield 4, I never touched the single player. Both types were worth my time and money the way I experienced them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
what do those numbers tell you? all it tells me is people will always go with the more popular multiplats over exclusives for multiplayer purposes because exclusives only have a certain type of market. Cod is a well known established franchise that has been selling in large quantities mainly because of its multiplayer purposes for years. Why not compare cod ghost player count on PS4 to cod black ops on wii u? You also aren't factoring in that wii u doesn't have many competitive fps shooters so if people want to play shoot em up games on there they don't have much of a variety. While on PSN and XBL there are people playing Cod, BF mixed in with the consoles fps exclusives.

The second point is very true - there is not a great variety on the Wii U. However, by conceding this point, you are also implicitly saying that thirdpartys are wrong to treat the Nintendo audience the way they do - there is a market for more shooters on there. The first point about multiplatt might be true, but it is definitely true when it comes to a comparison between a great multiplatt like Cod and a pretty average firstparty like Killzone, so I agree with you on both counts.

Who cares.

Battlefield has 40,000 on ps4 right now playing.

Who cares? You since you bother to enter and post?

Didn't Killzone sell 2 million units?

Lol.

Well, most people probably moved onto COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and other multiplayer games and left Killzone behind. Was Killzone SF ever even that popular online besides the first few weeks anyway? I m not surprised the community shrunk considerably actually.

This has about as much scientific validity as an average day at climate denial central, aka Fox News.

That said, Shadowfall MP was boring as hell the one time I tried it a couple months ago and was basically a ghost town...so it wouldnt surprise me if this were true. Granted, BLOPS II MP sucks too...but I think its marginally better than SF.

Lemmy

Banned
Isn't Black Ops 2 like the only first person shooter on Wii U though? Let alone one of the only games on it that actually has online.

Though why anyone would play online on Wii U in the first place is beyond me (Because I seriously doubt anyone has only a Wii U to play online on). The handful of times I've actually tried it it's been just awful. It's no wonder Nintendo are so desperate to push the 'local multiplayer' angle with the console tbh.

genbatzu

according to my Killzone profile, I've played multiplayer 1d 17h 13m.
I never had any waiting times or such things, not even for new DLC-only map pools (or old maps only pools).
However, sometimes the teams were pretty unbalanced, like 6vs2 or worse. But all in all no issues finding "balanced" teams (balanced as in count, you cant properly balance skill) and no waiting times, just the rather long loading times.
And thus I'm happy, since I don't really care how many thousands or millions of people play a game (online), if everything I need for a match are 5-20 people. But when I'm home I can log in to KZ:MP and have a look at the numbers (europe "prime time", but monday)

Effect

Isn't Black Ops 2 like the only first person shooter on Wii U though? Let alone one of the only games on it that actually has online.

Though why anyone would play online on Wii U in the first place is beyond me (Because I seriously doubt anyone has only a Wii U to play online on). The handful of times I've actually tried it it's been just awful. It's no wonder Nintendo are so desperate to push the 'local multiplayer' angle with the console tbh.

Explain how it was awful. An example please. I'm really curious as to what was so bad about it that makes it different. Now keep in mind that others here likely have played online on other systems and PC as well. Don't just do a drive by posting.

Jigorath

Banned
It is no victory at all, the numbers are terrible for both games, but it is funny that the OMG so hardcore PS4 have this very same problem with online multiplayer as the completely ridiculed Wii U.

It's two different games. Should we compare COD Ghosts numbers from PS4 and WiiU?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It's two different games. Should we compare COD Ghosts numbers from PS4 and WiiU?

We all know how that comparison will go, but that doesnt make this comparison any less striking compared to the general narrative in the industry imo.

Porcupeth

Banned
why do people get bothered by this

if you look for a match and get into one without waiting times, then there is no issue
i get into SF matches instantly
couldn't care less if it has its current population or 100x more

i played red orchestra 2 when it had less than 1000 players peak and also had no issue.
play what you want to play, not what the majority dictates.

Lemmy

Banned
Explain how it was awful. An example please. I'm really curious as to what was so bad about it that makes it different. Now keep in mind that others here likely have played online on other systems and PC as well. Don't just do a drive by posting.

I've tried online on just about every platform going and Wii U's online functionality is quite simply a piss poor experience compared to just about any others going. It's like early PS3 tier... but on a current gen console (?).

Surely this isn't news to you? I daresay it's been discussed at length on GAF as it has been elsewhere.

Effect

I've tried online on just about every platform going and Wii U's online functionality is quite simply a piss poor experience compared to just about any others going. It's like early PS3 tier... but on a current gen console (?).

Surely this isn't news to you? I daresay it's been discussed at length on GAF as it has been elsewhere.

I still don't see any examples as to what you are talking about. I see others make the claim as well and they as well don't provide any examples as to what they have issue with so we can directly compare them. Especially when it comes to the Call of Duty games where the experience, outside of DLC, is the same. I ask this because far to many people are quick to jump up and say something is horrible on a Nintendo system and in the end what they claim isn't true (they really have no knowledge of things or claim they do based on hearsay which is wrong) or with some people outright lie for whatever reason. That's why I asked for an example instead of a blanket statement that should simply be taken as fact.

There are some people that will claim the Wii U is horrible because it uses friend codes. A feature that doesn't exist on the Wii U outside of the Wii Mode. It uses gamer tags/names just like every other current system. There are some that will say it takes to long or requires to much work to add a user or buy something off the eShop. When in reality it requires as many steps as it does on the Sony and Microsoft consoles. One button press on the gamepad gives you a list of items to access including the eShop and Friend List. People will be quick to blame a connection issue in a game on Nintendo and their "crappy online" when in truth a game like Call of Duty runs on Activision's servers like all other versions of Call of Duty.

My experience gaming online on the Wii U has been fine. Please post examples of what makes it a piss poor experience. Because just saying it is doesn't express anything.

I've had no problem finding matches, setting up rooms with friends to play, or any of the general stuff one does playing online on a console on the Wii U. This is coming from some one who has a PC, PS3, PS4, 360, Wii, Vita, and 3DS. I've done my fair share of online gaming.

Renta

Banned
I still don't see any examples as to what you are talking about. I see others make the claim as well and they as well don't provide any examples as to what they have issue with so we can directly compare them. Especially when it comes to the Call of Duty games where the experience, outside of DLC, is the same. I ask this because far to many people are quick to jump up and say something is horrible on a Nintendo system and in the end what they claim isn't true (they really have no knowledge of things or claim they do based on hearsay which is wrong) or with some people outright lie for whatever reason. That's why I asked for an example instead of a blanket statement that should simply be taken as fact.

There are some people that will claim the Wii U is horrible because it uses friend codes. A feature that doesn't exist on the Wii U outside of the Wii Mode. It uses gamer tags/names just like every other current system. There are some that will say it takes to long or requires to much work to add a user or buy something off the eShop. When in reality it requires as many steps as it does on the Sony and Microsoft consoles. One button press on the gamepad gives you a list of items to access including the eShop and Friend List. People will be quick to blame a connection issue in a game on Nintendo and their "crappy online" when in truth a game like Call of Duty runs on Activision's servers like all other versions of Call of Duty.

Yeah, where does this claim come from? Tekken Tag has been pretty solid online on WiiU. Same for Need For Speed among others. Though, I haven't played all the WiiU games online, so some examples of this terribleness is needed for me too.

My experience gaming online on the Wii U has been fine. Please post examples of what makes it a piss poor experience. Because just saying it is doesn't express anything.

I've had no problem finding matches, setting up rooms with friends to play, or any of the general stuff one does playing online on a console on the Wii U. This is coming from some one who has a PC, PS3, PS4, 360, Wii, Vita, and 3DS. I've done my fair share of online gaming.

The only time I've ever had a bad time with online on the Wii U was in AC III and that game had serious issues with matchmaking that were never fixed. Other than that? Same experience I get with the PS3/Vita as far as I can tell.

It wasnt shown at E3, it was show at the event Nintendo held just before releasing the console, where Tvii and Bayonetta 2 was announced as well. So we were actually wondering for a long time.

Well at least thats what the numbers from Killzone, the biggest firstparty release on the system, tells me.

I think the numbers tell you that the vast majority of the ~2 million people who bought KZ SF don't really care for the multiplayer, and that's it. FPS are still the biggest sellers on the console, and the biggest multiplayer games.

DanteSparda504 said:
It doesn't surprise me. Call of Duty is a huge franchise, even if it's on the Wii U. Killzone has never been anywhere near as big.

Both numbers are terrible.

Sojiro

Ditto on both accounts. I have put in a shit load of online hours with the Wii U, between Ninja Gaiden, CoD Ghosts, MK8, and Monster Hunter, and the only game I have had extreme issues with was Splinter Cell. Working online splinter cell matches in my last experience (I have long since given up) were a rare experience to come by, between the connection drops and system locking up. Its a shame, because when it did work it was some of the best times i've had on my Wii U. From my understanding that was more of an Ubisoft issue (one I believe other consoles shared) than it was Nintendo's. My biggest complaint with Nintendo's online is the ease/notifying messaging friends via the friend list, Xfire/Steam has spoiled me with in game messaging, and it is something I do wish the Wii U had.

On another note back on topic, was the multiplayer for killzone just not that good? I haven't played a game in the series since the PS2 days, but did it just not hold up against the other offerings (CoD/Battlefied) the PS4 has?

Effect

Yeah, where does this claim come from? Tekken Tag has been pretty solid online on WiiU. Same for Need For Speed among others. Though, I haven't played all the WiiU games online, so some examples of this terribleness is needed for me too.

I don't know why people trying to claim that either. Are things perfect? No and it's not on any other platform. Yet for some reason some people want to toss out things regarding the Wii U as if it's the Wii ala 2006/7. Refusing to do the simplest of google searches regarding the system's online features but want to talk with authority on the matter and toss around negative claims.

I haven't had any problems playing Need for Speed, Ninja Gaiden, CoD: Black Ops 2, CoD: Ghosts or Mario Kart 8. Haven't played enough Monster Hunter online but the few times I did it was fine. I've heard Mass Effect, Madden, Fifa, and a few others were fine. My biggest problems were the match making with Ubisoft games and I put the blame squarely on them. The match making for their games were a long time simply didn't work and it had to be on them since the problem didn't appear in other games on the system. AC3, 4, and Splinter Cell all had issues. That's what concerns me regarding Watch_Dogs as well.

The only time I've ever had a bad time with online on the Wii U was in AC III and that game had serious issues with matchmaking that were never fixed. Other than that? Same experience I get with the PS3/Vita as far as I can tell.

I had better luck about two weeks ago with AC3. Connected right away but don't know if it was just luck. However I might try to again tonight to see how it goes. Part of why I put down Blacklist because it had the same problem and I really wanted to try that. Might give that another shot too see if that's improved.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
We all know how that comparison will go, but that doesnt make this comparison any less striking compared to the general narrative in the industry imo.

What's the narrative?

On PS4 there's far better options, and that's where the players are. Where are the fps fans at on the U? Ghosts? Blops 2 on U (which I own and love) was only getting around 3,000 players well before Ghosts released. That's nothing for one of the biggest franchises in all of gaming.

The only striking thing is that yes, Killzone's online isn't popular. Count me among the those that disliked it, and abandoned it after giving it a few chances.

What's the narrative?

On PS4 there's far better options, and that's where the players are. Where are the fps fans at on the U? Ghosts? Blops 2 on U (which I own and love) was only getting around 3,000 players well before Ghosts released. That's nothing for one of the biggest franchises in all of gaming.

The only striking thing is that yes, Killzone's online isn't popular. Count me among the those that disliked it, and abandoned it after giving it a few chances.

Yeah, this all about Killzone the franchise, not about PS4 vs Wii U. Killzone continues to lose traction, and is likely going to go the way of Resistance. The series was this close to hitting critical mass with 2, but it just never made that next step.

Rockyrock

Killzone has just never worked out as that big Exclusive online shooter SONY wanted it to be.

This about the Killzone brand rather than Sony/PS4.

Korten

Banned
I feel like we're getting to the point where we have a new: "How much we think Killzone SF sucks" thread everyday...

johnny956

The game isn't THAT bad.

I just feel it was a major step back from KZ 2 and 3. Tiny crampy maps, and more of a focus on infantry combat. KZ can be so much more than this.

Same I loved KZ 3 multiplayer. Played insane amounts of it. Tried Shadowfall and played about 2 hours and gave up. Just wasn't feeling it at all.

I have KIllzone SF since launch, even then the MP only had about 3000 players, it's been in decline since. the only time I saw more than 3000 players was when the MP was free to play for a week, it had about 8000 players.

The new Killzone is just a very crappy FPS, that's all it really means.

This is complete bs and I'm guessing you haven't really played it, but sadly it seems to be the narrative that's taking hold in the all-or-nothing world of internet gaming conversation.

The multiplayer is totally solid, and even the main game is just average and kind of worth seeing for the visuals, not terrible. But there's no spot for that on the BEST/WORST EVER internet review scale.

Nintendo's online is just the same as the others, except for the price tag and number of players. At least as far as I can tell.

Black Ops II is pretty great on the Wii U, perhaps the best time I've had with a Call of Duty since MW2, and the community got a boost recently because they finally released Nuketown for the platform.

Black Ops II is pretty great on the Wii U, perhaps the best time I've had with a Call of Duty since MW2, and the community got a boost recently because they finally released Nuketown for the platform.

What's really appealing is the lack of constantly swearing pubescent teenagers on WiiUs online community. It has by far the most "mature" audience.

Top Bottom