• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. If it made a ton of money they'd make another sequel and it would be shit.

Instead we have an actual good high budget movie for once, which is nice.

I think if there was ever a thought of a sequel to be made it would have been an odd spin off. Think like a Fast and Furious : Tokyo Drift of the Blade Runner world. No returning characters only light connection to the original IP.

GhaleonEB

Jesus. Find a new movie house without shit for brains viewers.

I live in a (small, conservative, under-educated) town with one movie theater (just one screen). The next town over is about the same and has a seven-screen, which is where I saw it. I'm mostly used to it with anything even borderline challenging (lots of walkouts during The Witch for example).

I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a Regal, where prices are nearly 2x as high. Audiences are a bit better, though. It's where I saw My Little Pony: The Movie yesterday and had a blast. (Was taking my younger daughter. :p )

I would have asked for a refund or another showtime if that happened to me.

I was with my daughter and didn't want to make a scene. But I've done that a few times.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I live in a (small, conservative, under-educated) town with one movie theater (just one screen). The next town over is about the same and has a seven-screen, which is where I saw it. I'm mostly used to it with anything even borderline challenging (lots of walkouts during The Witch for example).

I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a Regal, where prices are nearly 2x as high. Audiences are a bit better, though. It's where I saw My Little Pony: The Movie yesterday and had a blast. (Was taking my younger daughter. :p )

Being fair, that was a bore fest and I would have done the same.

And the Gosling hurts, I can't say what he was playing but he did it so well. Probably his best role.

You're crazy. Gosling made the movie. The entire casting was so on point it was insane.

Agreed. Leto, the woman who played Luv, Robin Wright, the woman who played Joi, all fantastic. And fucking Bautista was so great. Hoping this can be a jumping off point to a broader swath of roles for him.

Also agreed with some of the other posts on Ford’s performance. Had a great script, director and cast to play off of here, and that certainly elevated his performance.

And regarding the poor box office performance, you know what? As other folks have said, it exists. They can’t take that away from us. And it’s not like anyone’s looking for another sequel or to make this a franchise. It’s a bummer but I’m glad we got what we got.

Agreed. Leto, the woman who played Luv, Robin Wright, the woman who played Joi, all fantastic. And fucking Bautista was so great. Hoping this can be a jumping off point to a broader swath of roles for him.

Also agreed with some of the other posts on Ford’s performance. Had a great script, director and cast to play off of here, and that certainly elevated his performance.

And regarding the poor box office performance, you know what? As other folks have said, it exists. They can’t take that away from us. And it’s not like anyone’s looking for another sequel or to make this a franchise. It’s a bummer but I’m glad we got what we got.

He really was. People like to praise The Rock so much, but when I comes to wrestlers turned actors; I think Big Dave actually much better than The Rock. I hope he gets a few more roles to have fun with going forward.

Some of them are good, but they've taught people such as the OP that whizbang every 5 minutes is required in every single film.

Don’t get me wrong, they provide a decent distraction/source of entertainment. But there isn’t a single Marvel film that is “deeply affecting” or memorable on any substantial level. None of them can claim to be an examination of the human condition. If they are, they do so on the most superficial, base level imaginable.

So it’s really upsetting to me that films like Blade Runner 2049 will be put in Hollywood’s “penalty box” for a long time to come.

*Grumbles disapprovingly*

Personally I never got the logic behind walking out. Do theaters give you refunds if you don't like a movie?
Some places do. Mine does

Of course refunds only work if you left before the movie ended. Can't asked for one if you finished the film

Robot Pants

Personally I never got the logic behind walking out. Do theaters give you refunds if you don't like a movie?
I understand it. I honestly wanted to walk out of baby driver, but I think that might have been the ONLY time. I never did it but I couldn’t WAIT for it to be over. Some people don’t have the patience

Anyone else think Leto was doing a great Half-Life G-Man impression even down to the "ticks"?
No. I don’t.

As I said, it's more challenging than most films and not aimed at mainstream audiences. But it's also one of my favorite films of last year (along with much of GAF).
Wow, I'm surprised Arrival won that year. I would have expected that GAF would have had Civil War at the top or much closer to the top of the list

cheezcake

As a whole each element of the movie was beautifully crafted bar the narrative. I can't help but feel the first half of the movie really just tried to confront you with sci-fi themes instead of weaving it into the world convincingly. On top of that quite a few scenes were unnecessarily long and Leto's role was under-developed.

A good movie but not great.

duckroll

If you hate the experience an hour into a three hour runtime, and you walk out, you saved yourself two hours of pain which you could use to do other stuff. Time > money. I have never walked out of a film because I enjoy the film experience even when I dislike a film. But that's not the priority for everyone.

It's kinda like finishing your food. If you ordered something you really don't like, do you force yourself to finish the meal? Or are you okay with leaving stuff uneaten? Some people can't bear leaving food unfinished. Many people are okay with not forcing themselves to eat something they don't like.

Wow, I'm surprised Arrival won that year. I would have expected that GAF would have had Civil War at the top or much closer to the top of the list

Wow I even got a quote in that results thread for Nice Guys. Didn't notice before!

Fuck Lala Land! :D

Some places do. Mine does

Of course refunds only work if you left before the movie ended. Can't asked for one if you finished the film
So you just say "this movie isn't for me/not what I expected" and they'll refund you?

Huh, I've never considered it, and I went to see The Mummy and Transformer 5. I tend to go to the theater mainly for three reasons: big over-the-top spectacle, the cinematography/experience is best experienced on a big screen, or it's something I really want to see. So even if a movie is disappointing, the big screen spectacle is worth sticking around. For me, at least

Nah, nothing will beat the sense of scale of a large screen and nearly ear drum busting sound. But to each their own.
Yeah, no home theater can ever come close to matching Dunkirk on IMAX. The damn seats were shaking (and this was not a D-Box) and I almost had to cover my ears along with the characters onscreen as the bombs whistled and the planes screeched.

GitS is pretty good example of why making something PG13 with lots of action and shorter runtime won't guarantee $$$. And in the end that crappy movie isn't even 5% as good as the anime.

Vileneuve made a movie for the fans holding nothing back. A proper direct sequel to nearly a 35 year old movie. The director we need but do not deserve..indeed.

GITS's problem has nothing to do with its PG13.

As I said, it's more challenging than most films and not aimed at mainstream audiences. But it's also one of my favorite films of last year (along with much of GAF).

I don't think BR2049 is challenging. How is it challenging? The ideals in it aren't new. See: BSGalactica, Ex machina etc el Westworld. It's done so many years later that it does not present anything new or amazing in the realm of sci-fi story telling.

HariKari

65 inch TV with surround sound. I'll be fine with the home experience.

Nah. The whole point of the theater is to have a sound system that can't be matched and to have your entire vision filled with Deakins greatness. The Atmos mix for this is also out of this world. Unlike Dunkirk and Gravity, I don't think it's required to enjoy this, but it definitely enhances the experience. You will regret not going.

Apathy

We're like 99.99999999...% never getting another blade runner film, but we can hope that this film does what the original did and inspire a whole new set of directors, cinematographers and writers to explore. If anything, we might get some really cool sci-fi anime out of it again.

Maybe in 30+ yesterday an old K will help some holographic detective or something lol.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

They typically give you a return ticket easily. Not a refund.

If you're not enjoying the film. No reason to waste the time. More so if you plan on ruining the experience for others.

My only walk outs are when films put me to sleep. Sometimes it's my fault since I only do morning or late night shows. But it's typically for a film that is not drawing my interest in. Hail Ceaser! was one I passed out in. Didn't care. Watched it at home a few months later, enjoyed it.

I don't particularly believe its challenging. As challenging as other A24 pictures such as It Comes At Night, where the majority of it was spelled out for you. Their just slogs. Alongside anything to do with the goat falling way too much on the side of cornball for my tastes. But it's a heavily atmospheric piece and since it didn't catch me, there wasn't much there.

mother! is going be a criminally misunderstood film due to the advertisement campaign, but it's the case of. I can't blame anyone leaving. BR is just a film that's too long for its own good. I wouldn't cut a second from it, but it reminds me a lot of classics that many people can't watch today.

If you're not enjoying the film, there really isn't a reason to stay.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Dune is dead. Along with Cleopatra.

Good, bring it Angiiieeee

d3ba5d0f5db8eb4412a62d64de0d5e0a.jpg

Hari Seldon

I'd say that this is a shame but there is no way that I with kids have the time to go and see a 2.5 hour movie that my wife is not interested in seeing lol. I look forward to renting it though!

MIMIC

Banned
Just got back.

Man! That was one bad ass movie! I really enjoyed it. Reminded me a bit of "Tron" (and maybe "Interstellar") with all of the music.

Also, K's girl. LORD

Not

Banned

I was with my daughter and didn't want to make a scene. But I've done that a few times.

You live in Oregon, right? What town are you talking about? I got my B.A. at Oregon State in Corvallis. There was a Carmike theater and a tiny four-theater Regal and that was pretty much it.

Dabanton

This is a very slow very,interesting sci fi.

I could tell after my screening it was going to be contentious. I personally loved it. I can see the word of mouth on this from people expecting a different type of film being very bad.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
A woman behind me blurted out, "Boring!", all drawn out and dramatic, during a particularly slow but atmospheric sequence. I turned and glared at her, and she in turn started tapping her foot loudly for the next few minutes.

My audience sucked.

Jesus fuck...

A woman behind me blurted out, "Boring!", all drawn out and dramatic, during a particularly slow but atmospheric sequence. I turned and glared at her, and she in turn started tapping her foot loudly for the next few minutes.

My audience sucked.

Holy hell

golem

Sunk cost fallacy, sir. Do I sit here and watch a movie insult my intelligence for another hour or do i go off and do something entertaining with my free time, like getting some ice cream and then angrily posting about my experience on the internet? Will take the later in a heartbeat.

GhaleonEB

I don't think BR2049 is challenging. How is it challenging? The ideals in it aren't new. See: BSGalactica, Ex machina etc el Westworld. It's done so many years later that it does not present anything new or amazing in the realm of sci-fi story telling.
Challenging to mainstream audiences? Sure. That's a low bar but absolutely. The methodical pacing is challenging to their patience, as mountains of anecdotal evidence indicates (and arguably, the already shoddy legs). The material is much more meditative, with less action, than most films with this kind of budget release. The plot and world building is relatively complex, it asks a lot of existential questions that it does not answer and while the main through line of the plot is addressed, there are loose ends dangling everywhere (intentionally). I think that's absolutely difficult for mainstream audiences to take in.

I don't particularly believe its challenging. As challenging as other A24 pictures such as It Comes At Night, where the majority of it was spelled out for you. Their just slogs. Alongside anything to do with the goat falling way too much on the side of cornball for my tastes. But it's a heavily atmospheric piece and since it didn't catch me, there wasn't much there.
It's a slow burn film with authentic period accents and dialogue, with a plot that hangs on understanding or at least accepting 1700's Puritanical beliefs and fears. All three of those things are barriers for mainstream audiences. A common complaint on GAF and other places was people couldn't even understand what was said. There are tons of reports of walkouts (including at my screening), and in the GAF thread, in articles, etc. People were challenged, or at least presented with material outside of their comfort zone. (There's a lot going on in The Witch.)

Again, the comparison point here is the audiences that turn out for Transformers, Marvel, IT, etc. Big mainstream movies with mainstream audiences. The kind of audiences that needed to turn out for 2049 to be successful. Blade Runner has a niche audience because on multiple levels, the material either isn't something the masses are interested in, or are simply not able to digest even if they get to the theater. (I really don't think this is controversial. It's why the film is tanking despite it's quality.)

Ratrat

I knew Blade Runner was in trouble after Ghost in the Shell bombed. Akira and Dune will bomb as well if they aren't canned.

Im angry, but ill be aure to watch it when it opens here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom