• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

czcrXR2.jpg

The pixel scaling is completely screwed even on 1080p. I really can't bare to look at it, so I won't be able to play the copy I just bought.

Does anyone know how I get a refund with Nintendo eshop? I'm happy to jump through hoops.

Thanks for this, that image of the text basically triggered me. I'll pick this up on 3DS instead.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks for this, that image of the text basically triggered me. I'll pick this up on 3DS instead.

except... on the Switch portable, scaling is a perfect 3x. and no 3D on 3DS.. so between Switch portable and 3DS there is no advantage to getting it on 3DS.

If someone is playing solely on 1080p... then maybe (though it seems overly dramatic to me).. but 3DS vs. Switch handheld.. Switch wins on every metric.

VandalD

Not sure I can effectively articulate why I'm not into this game. I don't hate it, but it feels like it's so easy that the entire thing is just an exercise in tedium. There are a few too many slow crawling sections in the overworld, and the movement in the on foot, overhead levels feels really slow, while only barely rewarding exploration. There are empty overhead sections intended either to max out your weapon gauge (which you will probably never need help with) or just waste your time.

Also, I've been holding up and left/right to shoot straight up while moving because that's how it worked in the original, but instead it makes you shoot diagonal. This is dumb to me, since there is a dedicated button to hold for shooting diagonally if I want to do so while moving. They could have also made you shoot straight up if you're holding up and left/right with R.

Loved the original, but that's the only thing pushing me to finish this. I'm glad others seem to be liking it at least.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
except... on the Switch portable, scaling is a perfect 3x. and no 3D on 3DS.. so between Switch portable and 3DS there is no advantage to getting it on 3DS.

If someone is playing solely on 1080p... then maybe (though it seems overly dramatic to me).. but 3DS vs. Switch handheld.. Switch wins on every metric.

Unfortunately, the undocked mode does not run at a perfect 300% scale. Don't let the 15:9 aspect ratio fool you. For some unfathomable reason, the game scales its 400x240 native resolution up to 1080p, then back down to 720p in undocked mode. It's quite noticeable.

Just got to Area 5 and I'm liking this game so far. Yeah, it's super easy and forgiving. Don't think I've die in a boss fight yet. It does the bare minimum to satiate the Metroidvania pleasure centers in my brain. I've played portions of the original, but I won't kid myself and say I'd ever play that to completion. This remake fits my needs.

Is this good to buy for local multi if I'll only be playing on 30min lunch breaks?

What's the save system like?

Is 2nd player drop in / drop out on a joycon?

RedToad64

Is this good to buy for local multi if I'll only be playing on 30min lunch breaks?

What's the save system like?

Is 2nd player drop in / drop out on a joycon?
Yes, this game can definitely be played in ~30 minute settings.

The local multiplayer is just another player moving a crosshair and shooting. You have to enable it from the file selection screen.

Thankfully, you can save and exit out to the menu (or the game) at any time. There are nine save slots, and you can copy them.

Zee-Row

Banned
Remember Blaster Master 2? I remember being pissed that it was on the Genesis instead of the SNES but then found out it was a piece of shit game years later that was made by a western studio.

It's graphical style was ugly as shit.

BlasterMaster2_24.png

death.gif

Yes, this game can definitely be played in ~30 minute settings.

The local multiplayer is just another player moving a crosshair and shooting. You have to enable it from the file selection screen.

Thankfully, you can save and exit out to the menu (or the game) at any time. There are nine save slots, and you can copy them.

Thanks! That sounds good, if not like a pretty tacked-on coop. I'm wondering how appealing it would be for the second player.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Don't think so. I tried it in the same area that it worked in the original and the game paused after the grenade exploded. I was hoping for some fan service about the grenade trick, but couldn't find any.

I never played the original but recall reading about it in like Video Games & Computer Entertainment or something and thinking how awesome it was.

Mark me down as disappointed as well. That was one of the first things I tried!

Exuro

Not having pro support is annoying. Nintendo not having a unifying api that just works seems terrible. Hope it gets in soon as I'm not a big fan of using the joycons when I'm in docked mode.

Game is pretty fun. I have a random question, and sorry if I'm not specific enough.

There's a dark level/dungeon in stage 4 or 5 with a pretty crazy boss that I managed to get to. Is there a way to turn on the light?
I already moved on but I figured I would check in to see if I missed something.

dock

This... is not true? It looks like crap on the handheld mode.
Edit: yep you can see the problems in the top left of the first screen in the game.

1upsuper

I bought this but haven't been able to pry myself away from Zelda to play it yet. I'm super disappointed to hear how easy the game is though. That's a major turn-off for me. I need my games to actually pose a challenge.

Remember Blaster Master 2? I remember being pissed that it was on the Genesis instead of the SNES but then found out it was a piece of shit game years later that was made by a western studio.

BlasterMaster2_24.png

death.gif

I really like this actually, especially the first shot.

I haven't played much, but it seems like enemies disappear for a while after killing them. They should do the old-school make enemies reappear after you scroll the screen mechanic to spice things up a bit

Dan-o

Not having pro support is annoying. Nintendo not having a unifying api that just works seems terrible. Hope it gets in soon as I'm not a big fan of using the joycons when I'm in docked mode.

Game is pretty fun. I have a random question, and sorry if I'm not specific enough.

There's a dark level/dungeon in stage 4 or 5 with a pretty crazy boss that I managed to get to. Is there a way to turn on the light?
I already moved on but I figured I would check in to see if I missed something.

flash bomb. I'm amazed you got through any of the dark levels without it. Hardcore.

StarPhlox

I loooooved my time with Blaster Master Zero and finished it last night apparently with
...the bad ending?

So I retraced my steps because I knew I left a life-up in Area 5 and it seems like I hit a
point of no return in area 7. Is it possible to get back to other areas after getting to Area 8?!

I would really like to go
on to area 9 to get the real ending but it doesn't look possible unless I replay it.

Dan-o

I loooooved my time with Blaster Master Zero and finished it last night apparently with
...the bad ending?

So I retraced my steps because I knew I left a life-up in Area 5 and it seems like I hit a
point of no return in area 7. Is it possible to get back to other areas after getting to Area 8?!

I would really like to go
on to area 9 to get the real ending but it doesn't look possible unless I replay it.

I kind of know what you're talking about. I did this last night, but my memory is fuzzy... I got the same 'bad' ending you did I think.

You can definitely backtrack through all the areas. They don't all go in order though. As I recall, you can go from 8 to 7 then it jumps to 3 I think. You can backtrack from 3 to 2 to 1, and 1 has the secret area above the very start of the game that takes you to 4 (I think!) which gets you to 5 and 6. When you get to each area, check the map. Remaining bosses or unchecked dungeons will flash. The Area warps look like dungeons on the map, but they're slightly bigger. Also, unlocking the map in each area is a big help. They're usually located in one of the dungeons.

StarPhlox

I kind of know what you're talking about. I did this last night, but my memory is fuzzy... I got the same 'bad' ending you did I think.

You can definitely backtrack through all the areas. They don't all go in order though. As I recall, you can go from 8 to 7 then it jumps to 3 I think. You can backtrack from 3 to 2 to 1, and 1 has the secret area above the very start of the game that takes you to 4 (I think!) which gets you to 5 and 6. When you get to each area, check the map. Remaining bosses or unchecked dungeons will flash. The Area warps look like dungeons on the map, but they're slightly bigger. Also, unlocking the map in each area is a big help. They're usually located in one of the dungeons.

THANK YOU! I have one boss left undone and one health pack in the top corner of area 5. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight. Appreciate your comment :)

Dan-o

Glad to help! There's one health pack I can't seem to get to. I can't recall which area it's in... but it's in the top right corner of the map. It might even be area 5. If you have to do anything special when you go to get that one, let me know. I need it :)

Does anyone else get phantom movement in this game? Once in a while my character just moves a bit in a random direction. I'm playing using a charging grip while I have other joy cons attached to the console. At first I thought it was just my left Joycon acting up but I went to the controller test and it worked fine. I'm no more than three or four feet from the console and my left Joycon works in my system from over fifteen feet away (tested that just now)

Pinky

Banned

BlasterMaster2_24.png

death.gif

I like the first shot, but that gif is ass. Bluh!!!

Glad to help! There's one health pack I can't seem to get to. I can't recall which area it's in... but it's in the top right corner of the map. It might even be area 5. If you have to do anything special when you go to get that one, let me know. I need it :)

There's a dungeon that you enter in Area 5 to the very left past all the currents (think it's the one where you get the ability for Sophia to swim) where there's actually two exits. Take the exit in the center of the room with a lot of moving platforms. That exit should take you to the life upgrade.

wondermega

BlasterMaster2_24.png

death.gif

Looks aside, how is the actual game? Never played it and forgot it ever existed. Obviously it is a huge departure from the first game, but is it decent, terrible, or (gulp) redeeming?

komorebi

I f-ing love this game. It looks fantastic on the Switch portable screen, OCD pixel counters be damned. It's easy but still enjoyable, music is awesome, it's wallet friendly and totally worth it on the Switch at least. It makes me wish we had more NES remakes like this.

ryushe

I really wish this game had a demo because I keep hearing /reading how awesome this game is, yet, every time I see a screenshot or video of this game, it looks unbelievably dull to me.

duckroll

I really wish this game had a demo because I keep hearing /reading how awesome this game is, yet, every time I see a screenshot or video of this game, it looks unbelievably dull to me.

If you think it looks dull, it's probably going to be pretty dull to you. It's nothing special, just a Blaster Master remake with nice graphics and zero challenge. The rumble is loud and annoying, the controls are a bit floaty (intentionally) when in the vehicle. It's faithful to the original which was nothing really special either but holds a special place in some people's hearts. It's a good attempt at bringing back a nothing franchise, I'll give them that.

Dan-o

There's a dungeon that you enter in Area 5 to the very left past all the currents (think it's the one where you get the ability for Sophia to swim) where there's actually two exits. Take the exit in the center of the room with a lot of moving platforms. That exit should take you to the life upgrade.
That was the one! Thanks! End game...
yup, getting everything in areas 1 to 8 triggered the full ending. now I'm in Area 9 and I love it so far. I beat one set of bosses and have two more keys to get until... Whatever happens after that.

aett

I was playing Zelda on my Switch this morning and I got a notification that BMZ had just finished downloading - despite the fact that it was already installed on my system. I assume it was a patch, but I have no idea if there's any way to check that on the Switch.

StarPhlox

This is correct! That's the last thing I went back to get before being able to go to
area 9
! Takes some patience to get that powerup but it was worth the effort.

Finished the whole thing last night and it took me about 9.5 hours. Absolutely excellent game front to back.

drotahorror

Based off the intro where your vehicle starts up and takes off...

The Pro controller and Joycons have similar if not the same rumble effect.

Top Bottom