• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard working on unannounced Overwatch game

NoKisum

I think expecting anything third person is silly and no one in the history of overwatch has ever said that it’s the greatest game ever.

Why is Overwatch, even as a spin-off title, a terrible idea in third person? All the heroes sitting down and having a nice civil game of cards with the villains as a mobile card game would make more sense?

I've had a nice swarm of people constantly telling me that it's a "must buy for any gamer", so I gave it several shots during those free weekends, thinking perhaps I was playing it wrong. Does the full game have some content that I was missing out on? Maybe that could be why I was bored.

Remember when it was hype when rumors started emerging about giants like Valve and Blizzard making a new game? How they're going to reinvent gaming as a whole and make some of the best things ever probably?

Nowadays when something comes out everyone thinks it's gonna be some mobile-based f2p card game with MOBA elements full of microtransactions.

And they're probably right in thinking so.

My heart yearns for Overwatch Switch Edition.

My heart also yearns for the idea that this intern is meant to find a way to combine the ecosystem between all of the platforms so that we can finally tie unlocks to an account. This means that I can use my skins, emotes, and other stuff in any system I want.

HeatBoost

Why is Overwatch, even as a spin-off title, a terrible idea in third person? All the heroes sitting down and having a nice civil game of cards with the villains as a mobile card game would make more sense?

It's not a terrible idea, it's just an implausible idea

Why spend a ton of money making something that requires a shit ton of effort and has a hypothetical limited buy-in when you can make some crap ass mobile game that whales can pour a never ending flow of dineros into?

for what it's worth though i'd play the shit out of a single player Genji game. Or D.Va game. Or Reaper game. Junkrat game. Mei game... Reinharrdt game, ooh, that'd be good...

Not Soldier though if I wanted to play Call of Duty I'd just buy it in November

scoobs

Knew there was simply no way they’d leave all this incredible lore they’ve built around the game to go to waste. Stoked for the Overwatch mobile clicker!

traveler

Not Wario
Remember when it was hype when rumors started emerging about giants like Valve and Blizzard making a new game? How they're going to reinvent gaming as a whole and make some of the best things ever probably?

Nowadays when something comes out everyone thinks it's gonna be some mobile-based f2p card game with MOBA elements full of microtransactions.

And they're probably right in thinking so.

Also a bit of a spinoff of my revenue stream thread, but this is exactly the point that's galvanized that topic for me.

The last single player campaign Blizzard created was Legacy of the Void, and that was tied to a promise they made back in 2007. (That, to their credit, they actually delivered on, unlike the other prominent dev named here and their episodic campaign...) They've shifted from making a full storyline driven campaign to bite sized chunks of content every so often for Diablo. Valve's last single player game was Portal 2. HL3? Dead. Their next big effort? A mp card game.

At the time Blizzard's Rob Pardo said in 2012 that the AAA single player experience was an endangered species. That, in the face of rising costs, the f2p models breaking waves at the time, and piracy, he could not see them reaching the same level of success as in years prior.

The point I'm getting to is that, unless a financial model that can compete with what mp games are doing these days with their models- f2p, fee based, dlc driven or otherwise- is devised for sp games, I see your big developers and publishers only moving more and more away from them.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
please don't be mobile. please don't be mobile. please don't be mobile.

i hope it's a single player game. if it's a Battle Royale game they could just easily add that as a new mode in Overwatch as it is.

Takyon

giphy.gif

Compsiox

Banned
If its not a card game, id be very surprised. Battle Royale Overwatch.

I wonder if they have large maps left over from Titan to patch together...

Also a bit of a spinoff of my revenue stream thread, but this is exactly the point that's galvanized that topic for me.

The last single player campaign Blizzard created was Legacy of the Void, and that was tied to a promise they made back in 2007. (That, to their credit, they actually delivered on, unlike the other prominent dev named here and their episodic campaign...) They've shifted from making a full storyline driven campaign to bite sized chunks of content every so often for Diablo. Valve's last single player game was Portal 2. HL3? Dead. Their next big effort? A mp card game.

At the time Blizzard's Rob Pardo said in 2012 that the AAA single player experience was an endangered species. That, in the face of rising costs, the f2p models breaking waves at the time, and piracy, he could not see them reaching the same level of success as in years prior.

The point I'm getting to is that, unless a financial model that can compete with what mp games are doing these days with their models- f2p, fee based, dlc driven or otherwise- is devised for sp games, I see your big developers and publishers only moving more and more away from them.

But I mean, single player as a profitable model still exists, even if sometimes we see compromises. Uncharted and The Last Of Us seem to do pretty well for Sony. Sure, some mostly forgettable multiplayer found a way in them to increase the value, but at least we got them. We've got a lot of single player open world games: okay, their gameplay and narrative may not be particularly focused, but there are games like Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider (okay, not a masterpiece of storyline in TR but old games were linear and still had dumber storylines) that still manage to do solid storylines with that formula. Games like Call Of Duty or Battlefield are very multiplayer-based, but they still manage to find a way to put a bit of a campaign for good measure. Black Ops 3 was criticized by many on GAF, but it had an unusually long and complex campaign playable in co-op as well, plus the
secret Zombie campaign
. Dozens of hours of content for the loners. Halo 5's story was disappointing but the advertisements were still heavily focused on the narrative (the the point that it was misleading, admittedly) and the game sold rather well. Single player today exists. Sometimes they throw in loot boxes, other times it's a short experience that prepares for multiplayer, it could also feature shoehorned multiplayer like Spec Ops: The Line. But most of the games I mentioned managed to be profitable enough to warrant remakes, sequels, continued support. Sure, Blizzard and Valve may have found their pot of gold in monetizing multiplayer content to death, but today's market still values experiences that can be played alone. WarCraft 3 was also heavily built with eSports in mind, but it also had one of the most memorable campaigns I've ever played. That Arthas twist was pretty damn great for the day.

Blizzard could be interesting campaigns but kinda like Valve they're content with monetizing barebones but fun gameplay loops.

Initially I thought this was a convincing argument for something being announced at BlizzCon (because bringing interns on to a project seems really dodgy if you want that project to have secrecy) but given how far in advance these are it could easily be announced way later. It being in Incubation is the highest indicator of it being on mobile imo, because I expect after Hearthstone everything they have in Incubation is on mobile except for the new Diablo, WoW expansions and Overwatch single-player.

Falk

that puzzling face
Please don't let it be some shitty mobile game.

Cool another shitty mobile game.

A mobile game where you just buy lootcrates.

%100 card game with waifus

Overwatch dota card game with lootboxes

Probably card game.

Overwatch loot box simulator for IOS/Android.

Keep in mind that Blizzard's not-so-recent genre breakout was Hearthst...

Hearthstone, but Overwatch

beaten

They can call it titan.

Hrm.

I mean, if it features 3D assets, characters, and weapons...there's not alot it can be?

They won't make another card game or MOBA. Maybe another shooter unless it's meant to be a supplement to current Overwatch, now requiring a knowledge of the Overwatch universe...hints that they'll be delving into it? So not a single player game, but a multiplayer game based on the lore...

...unless they supplement overwatch with single player missions? Except it'll be separate from the main overwatch game..who knows, I give up.

Falk

that puzzling face
StarCraft and WarCraft ran concurrently for a good while as blockbusters in the same genre.

I honestly wouldn't rule out card-based or deck-based mechanics simply based on presentation.

traveler

Not Wario
Hrm.

I mean, if it features 3D assets, characters, and weapons...there's not alot it can be?

They won't make another card game or MOBA. Maybe another shooter unless it's meant to be a supplement to current Overwatch, now requiring a knowledge of the Overwatch universe...hints that they'll be delving into it? So not a single player game, but a multiplayer game based on the lore...

...unless they supplement overwatch with single player missions? Except it'll be separate from the main overwatch game..who knows, I give up.

Could do a fighting game. That's one mp space they haven't explored heavily yet.

Could also get back to their roots and try and do a Blizzard take, esports or casual, on cart racing.

But I mean, single player as a profitable model still exists, even if sometimes we see compromises. Uncharted and The Last Of Us seem to do pretty well for Sony. Sure, some mostly forgettable multiplayer found a way in them to increase the value, but at least we got them. We've got a lot of single player open world games: okay, their gameplay and narrative may not be particularly focused, but there are games like Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider (okay, not a masterpiece of storyline in TR but old games were linear and still had dumber storylines) that still manage to do solid storylines with that formula. Games like Call Of Duty or Battlefield are very multiplayer-based, but they still manage to find a way to put a bit of a campaign for good measure. Black Ops 3 was criticized by many on GAF, but it had an unusually long and complex campaign playable in co-op as well, plus the
secret Zombie campaign
. Dozens of hours of content for the loners. Halo 5's story was disappointing but the advertisements were still heavily focused on the narrative (the the point that it was misleading, admittedly) and the game sold rather well. Single player today exists. Sometimes they throw in loot boxes, other times it's a short experience that prepares for multiplayer, it could also feature shoehorned multiplayer like Spec Ops: The Line. But most of the games I mentioned managed to be profitable enough to warrant remakes, sequels, continued support. Sure, Blizzard and Valve may have found their pot of gold in monetizing multiplayer content to death, but today's market still values experiences that can be played alone. WarCraft 3 was also heavily built with eSports in mind, but it also had one of the most memorable campaigns I've ever played. That Arthas twist was pretty damn great for the day.

Blizzard could be interesting campaigns but kinda like Valve they're content with monetizing barebones but fun gameplay loops.

This is a fair point, and I can't see a future where the single player experience literally disappears completely- if nothing else, platform holders will see the value in continuing to finance premier exclusive SP experiences for their consoles. I just think the ratio of major MP experiences developed to SP experiences will continue to shift in favor of MP.

Rosstimus

Banned
Not a big multiplayer guy, but I dig the Overwatch universe. A AAA single player experience would be great.
But who am I kidding, it'll be an F2P mobile game,

StarCraft and WarCraft ran concurrently for a good while as blockbusters in the same genre.

I honestly wouldn't rule out card-based or deck-based mechanics simply based on presentation.

They didn't really. Warcraft 3 and Brood War were totally different games, and 4 years apart. StarCraft II was then 7 years later. More like alternating, back when games ever ended. That's not the case now - why make a new card game when you could just make your new ideas a mode for Hearthstone and piggyback a 100 mill audience, all the tech that's been developed, etc.

Falk

that puzzling face
They didn't really. Warcraft 3 and Brood War were totally different games, and 4 years apart. StarCraft II was then 7 years later. More like alternating, back when games ever ended. That's not the case now - why make a new card game when you could just make your new ideas a mode for Hearthstone and piggyback a 100 mill audience, all the tech that's been developed, etc.

I guess the counterargument to that is, a new mode in Hearthstone doesn't require prop assets, etc.

We're speculating in context of the job posting.

MaxiLive

Overwatch Kart game please with the power ups being tied to karts linked to the character abilities.

Blizz you can thank me after you make another couple of 100 million off the above idea D:

The mentioned job role would fit characters for HOTS as well right as they are unannounced projects from the Overwatch universe that brings a game to life.

I guess the counterargument to that is, a new mode in Hearthstone doesn't require prop assets, etc.

We're speculating in context of the job posting.

Sure. I mean, we don't really know shit right? They could put that Overwatch stuff on there for shits and giggles because they know sites and Gaf trawl job listings now. I'd expect anyone who seriously applied to work at Blizzard to have good working knowledge of Overwatch unless they were going for a very specific role on a different game team, so it's not exactly limiting the pool of applicants.

Top Bottom