• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

About the world Design. The game is clearly interconnected evidenced by the amount of shortcuts. And most importantly the 1 that leads from the first lamplight you find in Central Yharnam to the Cleric Beast.

I feel like it will be much like Demon's where you can warp to any lamp you lighted but the level will be large and have only the 1 checkpoint at the start.

This is what I loved in both Demon's and Dark.

You could find little hidden pathways and connect the world!

I have no problem with Demon's styled worlds because they had great replayability and design, especially if they bring back the world tendencies

bloodbiio3.png

Arcane stat?

Neoweee

Thank you both, for a real response. I forgot some people can get very touchy with their Souls games.

The Souls community is generally a bunch of insufferable, arrogant, condescending assholes, but that should be obvious by now.

2 of the 3 paths out of Firelink Shrine in DkS1 are the "wrong" way to go, so you can fumble your way to the right path with enough time.

DkS2 is a bit more forgiving in that regards, because, if you go somewhere, you can reasonably handle things -- IF you're skillful enough to beat the enemies there, i.e. the big knights in the sunken city seem harder, and are harder than the other main path, but are completely reasonable at SL1 if you know what you're doing. The same can't be said for invincible ghosts in DkS1.

In DeS, only one of the five paths was "wrong" to start off, because you didn't have the herbs necessary in bulk to deal with repeat poisonings in the Valley of Defilement.

ironcreed

Banned
So...
it really seems like a Demon's Souls sequel/prequel.

The old man in the first minute has covered eyes
like the maiden in black

So hyped for the story.

Umbasa.

I can feel your pancake eyes inside me. But seriously, shades of Demon's Souls for sure.

Afrodium

Banned
Nope. Not gonna watch. I see no reason to spoil the first 18 minutes of the game. I'd prefer to see an entire level from the middle than the very beginning. Who wants to begin a highly anticipated game and have to play an area they're already familiar with?

Gimme some gifs and screens though. Those inventory pics got me creamy ova' here.

Ferr986

Nope. Not gonna watch. I see no reason to spoil the first 18 minutes of the game. I'd prefer to see an entire level from the middle than the very beginning. Who wants to begin a highly anticipated game and have to play an area they're already familiar with?

Gimme some gifs and screens though. Those inventory pics got me creamy ova' here.

After the first 5 minutes its basically the same we saw in multiple playthoughs and in the beta.

That menu image looks just like Dark Souls.

It took me like 10 tries to beat the first boss of Dark Souls and that felt like such an accomplishment. Then I heard that was the easiest one and got turned off. I like a challenge but it took so long just to get back to the boss when you lost. I should probably give it more time, but I'm already more interested in this game. Hmm

Gbraga

The Souls community is generally a bunch of insufferable, arrogant, condescending assholes, but that should be obvious by now.

2 of the 3 paths out of Firelink Shrine in DkS1 are the "wrong" way to go, so you can fumble your way to the right path with enough time.

DkS2 is a bit more forgiving in that regards, because, if you go somewhere, you can reasonable handle things if you're skillful enough to beat the enemies there, i.e. the big knights in the sunken city seem harder, and are harder than the other path, but are completely reasonable at SL1 if you know what you're doing. The same can't be said for invincible ghosts in DkS1.

In DeS, only one of the five paths was "wrong", because you didn't have the herbs necessary in bulk to deal with repeat poisonings in the Valley of Defilement.

But it's great that they let you go the "wrong" way though. Makes up for very interesting routes and builds early on. I hope the same is true for Bloodborne.

Having all the equipment you'll need for the rest of the game in the first 20 minutes is pretty damn great.

Roven

Banned
I mean i'm very hyped (as always) for the game, but it's just sad how bad From Software is from a technical perspective. There is no reason why this game shouldn't run with 60fps on a PS4. I got no problem with the graphics (even if they're very similar to DS) but going back to 30fps sucks

RoadHazard

Gold Member
About the world Design. The game is clearly interconnected evidenced by the amount of shortcuts. And most importantly the 1 that leads from the first lamplight you find in Central Yharnam to the Cleric Beast.

I feel like it will be much like Demon's where you can warp to any lamp you lighted but the level will be large and have only the 1 checkpoint at the start.

That sounds acceptable if true. Although I don't know how I feel about warping. Part of the challenge and joy of DkS was just learning to navigate the world. That feeling of glorious epiphany when discovering how to quickly get back to a place that was previously a long and hard struggle to get to. If you can simply warp to any location you've visited it seems like much of that would be lost.

Zaventem

Also i wish fromsoft could make up there minds where to put the text. Souls regained and the like are in middle of screen in Dark souls 1, Dark Souls 2 it's at the bottom of the screen, Bloodborne it's at the top. @.@

Trey

looks fun. The aesthetic never did anything for me though. Wish it were a higher framerate as well.

I mean i'm very hyped (as always) for the game, but it's just sad how bad From Software is from a technical perspective. There is no reason why this game shouldn't run with 60fps on a PS4. I got no problem with the graphics (even if they're very similar to DS) but going back to 30fps sucks

Visuals look much better than DS. It looks like a next gen version of that engine sure...but it clearly looks next gen. Combined with the art, this is in my opinion easily one of the best looking games so far.

dzelly

HHHHRRRNNGGGHH!

I put 200+ hours into DS2, and I'm thinking my 2015 buying will be done when this hits. I will be completely enthralled.

Neoweee

But it's great that they let you go the "wrong" way though. Makes up for very interesting routes and builds early on. I hope the same is true for Bloodborne.

Having all the equipment you'll need for the rest of the game in the first 20 minutes is pretty damn great.

There's nothing great about thinking you can handle an area, and legitimately not being able to do so due to subtle, near-impossible-to-defer progress gating. That too strongly promotes people to seek outside help/information.

I vastly, vastly, prefer DkS2 "skill-based" gating mechanics. If you kill Dragon Rider as your first boss, then there are 4 different routes to progress through the game mechanics. There's a clear gradient in difficult, but if you know what you're doing, you could easily do them in any order you choose.

They gave you two free transient curses at the beginning. Taking them on one by one isn't too bad. I lucked out and got a jagged dagger from the first few.

Two is enough if you've already beaten the game, but as a first-time player, heading there from the start,they're essentially worthless.

Angel_DvA

Art style and gameplay looks phenomenal but the game looks really rough at time..

it's too bad the game isn't running at 60FPS with those visuals but I'm sure it will look better at release.

Ferr986

The alpha didn't have these shortcuts, and there's a few more streets that weren't there either. Nor were the NPCs, or the menus, or some of the item drops.

Oh yes, you're right, so if you consider that spoilers, dont look.

Btw, IGN Spain says that the game will come not only subbed but also dubbed, so if its true it will probably be the case also for other EU languages...

Orayn

How the hell do you know where to go? That's the one thing that puts me off about it, and Dark Souls. What's the point?

You explore. Try possible routes until you run into certain death, treasure, or a locked door that seems to require you to complete things somewhere else. The most accurate comparison is something like a 3D version of Super Metroid or a Castlevania game in the style of Symphony of the Night.

The point is a sense of danger, excitement, and discovery. The Souls series (and Bloodborne) are games about venturing into the unknown and triumphing against daunting odds.

Unless (in this) things are more blocked off them they seem, it looks like there are many ways to go.

Near the beginning of the game, most areas branch off via 1-3 obvious paths. Later on you wind up opening shortcuts that link later areas to earlier ones, or serve as paths to completely new places. You get an intuitive sense of where you need to go to progress through story hints, the relative strength of the enemies, and just how far an area is from your starting point.

The most "aimless" part of the series is around 60% of the way through Dark Souls where there are four major objectives you can complete in any order, but the game tips you off about where they are and also gives you the ability to warp between bonfires (checkpoints) to speed up the process.

And responses like this probably contribute to why I've never played them.

I agree that people can be really obnoxious about these games, but please don't let that dissuade you. The Souls series contains some of the best games in recent memory.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The alpha didn't have these shortcuts, and there's a few more streets that weren't there either. Nor were the NPCs, or the menus, or some of the item drops.

Basically.

About the only thing I feel spoiled on is the menu system and how you get to "Nexus" for the first time.

Personally I'm more excited for Jeff Greens walkthrough now and the first utterance of "TRANSFUSAL!"

Anyone care to give me a general "what's going on here" for Bloodborne, or give me a link? Like, what's happening in this world, who's the protagonist, all that jazz?

I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention but I am very interested in playing this. I started (but never finished) Dark Souls.

Zaventem

Oh yes, you're right, so if you consider that spoilers, dont look.

Btw, IGN Spain says that the game will come not only subbed but also dubbed, so if its true it will probably be the case also for other EU languages...

I thought it wouldn't be but i guess the mobs in the street speaking phrases are a good enough reason.

cormack12

Gold Member
Visuals look amazing and 90% of the game appeals to me, but as soon as that boss drops in with the massive health bar and the player doing invincible frame rolls, all I think of is tedium :/ I actually liked DaS until the Capra Demon and bailed. Tried to go back but just couldn't be bothered in the end.

Still not sure about this one way or the other for my personal tastes. Hope there's a demo - might rent it first actually.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So like Dark 2, minus Majula being connected to the overall world. The refugee seems to be apart from the other areas, but its early to tell of course.

Haven't played DkS2, but my understanding is that the world is designed sort of like a wheel, with more or less linear "spokes" leading out in different directions from the central hub, in contrast to the wonderfully confusing and rewarding "mess" that is DkS's world. Correct? And this seems to be more like DkS2, except that the hub isn't actually part of the larger world? Again, disappointing. Won't stop me from getting the game I guess, but I don't know why they wouldn't sick with what worked so well in DkS (and which everyone seems to have liked better).

Clockwork5

Minimal UI is a blessing and I love the setting and art direction. Creepy. I am a little concerned at the apparent wealth of healing items at the player's disposal but it still looks fun to play.

Top Bottom