• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
So tired of this notion that because a director has directed 1 or 2 good movies for a franchise, it then means no one is worthy enough to be brought in to replace them. When there is probably someone out there who can give us a better X-Men movie, and I say this as someone who enjoyed X2 quite a lot.

Guess who was supposed to direct The Wolverine.

Aronofsky.

Salz01

Why is this coming up now? Just because his new movie is coming up? Why don't they come forward years ago? It's suspicious.

injurai

Banned
Why is this coming up now? Just because his new movie is coming up? Why don't they come forward years ago? It's suspicious.

The alleged victim said they went to the LA police many years ago but their claims fell on deaf ears. The guy had to bury his scars for years, with a new movie coming out it would surely be a reminder. You'd think if it came to his attention that sort of stuff was still going on he might try to take action to prevent further youth from being taken advantage of as he was. In cases like this is typically is years later when action is pursued just due to the nature of how taking action causes many peripheral dynamics of one's life unravel for the time being.

Sapiens

So tired of this notion that because a director has directed 1 or 2 good movies for a franchise, it then means no one is worthy enough to be brought in to replace them. When there is probably someone out there who can give us a better X-Men movie, and I say this as someone who enjoyed X2 quite a lot.

And we're already proven that some one can be brought in to create a better Xmen movie with Matt Vaughn (in my opinion of course).

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Came across this response from Singer's lawyer:

Credit card receipts, telephone records and production schedules show that "X-Men" franchise director Bryan Singer was not in Hawaii when a lawsuit claims he sexually abused a 17-year-old on the islands, a defense attorney said Friday.

I don't know if anyone is interested in following the story anymore though. Personally I'm a bit grossed out by the whole issue.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's always interesting how news that defuses or defends people in these situations gets zero press.

Eh, this part of the process is always pretty boring. It's just a back and forth with both sides claiming they have evidence that counters the other. It's an awful lot of posturing until someone can compare and contrast the evidence from both plaintiff and defendant.

jaxword

I remember reading a thread a while ago about Ninja Turtles and how Megan Fox somehow managed to get back into the good graces of Bay and other Hollywood directors.

A bunch of people got threatened (and maybe banned) by mods for suggesting the casting couch was real.

Strange to see the contrast to this thread where it's being discussed with complete candor.

big ander

I remember reading a thread a while ago about Ninja Turtles and how Megan Fox somehow managed to get back into the good graces of Bay and other Hollywood directors.

A bunch of people got threatened (and maybe banned) by mods for suggesting the casting couch was real.

Strange to see the contrast to this thread where it's being discussed with complete candor.

if yr trying to make some sort of point that it wasn't ok there because it was about a woman: people discussed megan fox and her relationship with Bay and all that in this thread. so,

jaxword

if yr trying to make some sort of point that it wasn't ok there because it was about a woman: people discussed megan fox and her relationship with Bay and all that in this thread. so,

No, didn't you read? I'm saying it's interesting how things change from being taboo to now being realized as reality.

Blader

Eh, this part of the process is always pretty boring. It's just a back and forth with both sides claiming they have evidence that counters the other. It's an awful lot of posturing until someone can compare and contrast the evidence from both plaintiff and defendant.

And then they settle out of court, so you never end up finding out anyway.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Pre-Snowden people mocked those that suggested widespread government surveillance, post-Snowden everyone always knew and it was obvious all the time (duh!).

That's how it always goes. That said, we still don't know (for sure) how widespread this all is, even if it seems reasonable to assume that it is a (rather) common practice.

i dunno if mocked it at all, just apathetic towards it, of course people expected some level of surveillance post the revelation of the NSA a few decades ago....perhaps people didnt know the extent of it, but those same people probably didnt know the extent of just how much information is shared in a network anyway.

FoneBone

That the casting couch exists does not mean that it's not sort of gross to imply that an attractive woman only got major roles by whoring herself out (sans evidence).

jaxword

That the casting couch exists does not mean that it's not sort of gross to imply that an attractive woman only got major roles by whoring herself out (sans evidence).

I don't see it as gross in that I think EVERYONE in Hollywood, male or female, likely is being coerced into sexual acts. It's not a judgment--it simply is a reality. That's just how the horrible little mini-culture of Hollywood and entertainment works.

Megan Fox was fired from the Transformers films because Spielberg didn't like that she likened Bay to Hitler. She probably got back because Platinum Dunes hires cheap but visual directors to work on cheap but name brand franchises with decent but cheap cast members as a hook. Ta da TMNT with Megan Fox. It will make to budget back opening weekend and the rest is gravy.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Bryan Singer Calls Sexual Abuse Allegations ‘Outrageous, Completely False’

“X-Men: Days of Future Past” director Bryan Singer has responded to the sexual abuse allegations against him, calling the accusations “outrageous, vicious and completely false.”

Singer also declared that he will not participate in the promotional campaign for the upcoming Fox tentpole, due out May 23, in order to avoid having the “fictitious claims” divert attention from the film.

Senoculum

Came across this response from Singer's lawyer:

I don't know if anyone is interested in following the story anymore though. Personally I'm a bit grossed out by the whole issue.

Of course the lawyer is going to defend his client, but I have to point out that this is a Fox News link. For a filmmaker who works under Fox...

News Corp isn't exactly the type of media company that will, in any shape or form, bad mouth themselves...

Same is true for the other big 5 media conglomerates.

There's a difference between saying "lol she sucked cock for the spot!1" and discussing the predatory nature of the casting couch. The former is using the the victim's gender to justify an insulting connotation and being dismissive about the issue, while the latter is a conversation about how pervasive the issue is and how it can be tackled.

FoneBone

There's a difference between saying "lol she sucked cock for the spot!1" and discussing the predatory nature of the casting couch. The former is using the the victim's gender to justify an insulting connotation and being dismissive about the issue, while the latter is a conversation about how pervasive the issue is and how it can be tackled.

Thank you

Yikes.

Bret Easton Ellis Throws Bryan Singer Under the Bus: I Was Invited to an Underage Party

In his latest podcast discussion with writer/director Alan Ball, the author was quite candid about his own knowledge of Singer’s parties. In addition to discussing himself, Ellis specifically addresses the director:

“Though for many of us here in L.A., we’ve known about this for a very long time. I’m not saying anything particularly about this case, but just about this world, that it sort of…I don’t know if it’s encouraged because of this business, by the nature of the world we live in, or if it’s a particular proclivity of Bryan’s… Out here everyone kind of knows about the parties and uh, the kind of underage boys…”

Ellis goes on to talk about people in his own dating past who’d attended the Bryan Singer and Roland Emmerich parties:

“I actually dated two people who had—who were much older at the time, but had—who had gone through the kind of Bryan Singer/Roland Emmerich kind of world and these, ‘underage parties’ they were not called, but people kind of knew that their fake IDs had a lot to do with the placement of certain boys in its culture.”

Ellis heard about the parties first from one guy whose “expiration date had come and gone…he had told me about it and I said, ‘Oh really, that’s going on?’ And then I, there was another guy that I dated who was in his late 20s, and he said he had been one of those guys who had been invited to those parties for about 2 or 3 months. And he’s a sensitive guy and he wasn’t at all into the drugs, but he was kind of into the parties and the sex and the attention. And could easily understand — I guess he was 17? I don’t know how old he was — what was expected of him, and kind of got it and said, ‘Okay, I’m gonna enjoy this now. I understand why I’m here and what my expiration date is, and what these people want from me.’ And then moved on. And I guess it was November 2007, I was at a dinner party in Venice, and a gay screenwriter was having a dinner party…it was a mixed dinner, half the people were straight, half the people were gay, but what I noticed was that the gay dudes were leaving the dinner much earlier than anyone else. And I said, ‘What are, where are you guys going?’ And they said, ‘We’re going over to one of Bryan’s underage parties in Encino at the M&C Estate,’ or whatever it was called, and I said ‘Really, those are going on?’ And they said ‘Oh yeah, yeah. You should just see it, as a goof.’ I just didn’t really feel comfortable. I had been drinking, and didn’t want to drive and whatever. But, you know, there is a long and hallowed history in Hollywood about the abuse — this is where it gets murky — the quote unquote abuse, because I think at 17, and you’re a guy, it’s much different than if you’re 12 or 13…”

If this is true, and I have no idea why Ellis would be lying about it, then I think it's just fucking sad that it's taken this long to get exposed to the public. We hear about all these intrusive asshole paparazzi and how they're constantly stalking celebrities in Hollywood for pictures and whatnot and they're apparently very good at their job... and yet stuff like this stays hidden and covered up for years and years. If only they could've been using their paparazzi talents for good instead of evil.

I recommend Bret's podcast; he's highly opinionated and sometimes a little trollish but he has interesting guests and a soothing voice.

If this is true, and I have no idea why Ellis would be lying about it, then I think it's just fucking sad that it's taken this long to get exposed to the public. We hear about all these intrusive asshole paparazzi and how they're constantly stalking celebrities in Hollywood for pictures and whatnot and they're apparently very good at their job... and yet stuff like this stays hidden and covered up for years and years. If only they could've been using their paparazzi talents for good instead of evil.

From what Ellis said, it sounds like something systemic.

kirblar

It's hard to call this "courage" as he has known about underage kids being taken advantage of for years yet didn't say anything. I find that disturbing.
The parties aren't really where the real problem lies, they're a symptom of what's going on behind closed doors. 17yos using fake IDs isn't really going to trigger someone's ethical radar. (17yos pretending to be 18 is definitely a thing in general, and makes me glad I'm not into twinks/"young" guys. At that age, meeting people in the traditional way (through school) is pretty much impossible and your body/hormones are dying for contact with another person.)

Sex Abuse Case Against David Neuman Withdrawn

Last week, Singer also filed a motion for summary judgment, an additional procedural move attacking the suit several weeks after his motion to dismiss. It includes declarations from various people associated with DEN asserting that neither Singer nor Egan were on the two alleged trips to Hawaii.

If Singer is starting to be active publicly, he must be pretty confident that will happen. But regardless of how that turns out, it looks like he might be fired from X-Men: Apocalypse. Fox claims the lawsuit isn't the problem, but I'm sure it's a factor.

Singer’s legal team has provided Fox with proof that the lawsuits are fiction, the source claims, but it’s money that’s the issue.

“They don’t really care whether he’s innocent or guilty — they’re only concerned with the bottom line, which is giving him another $250 to $350 million to make Apocalypse. There have been talks about who else he’d let direct it, with him producing, but those led to heated arguments and walk outs,” the source revealed.

Guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom