• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bunch of new Mafia 3 hands on articles dropping (gameplay, world info)

Corpekata

Banned
Gamespot:

Missions are open-ended and can be tackled a number of different ways.

There are several ways to handle things, whether it be sneaking in, grabbing want you want and getting out, or going in guns blazing. Each mission has its own checklist of tasks in order to get to the boss at the end, but in some cases, one action or another will allow you to bypass a few of those points, letting you go right to top if you're ready. Or, you could still choose to take out all subordinates, if you’re a completionist that likes to leave no mess behind and maybe have fewer obstacles blocking your final target.

I was given a few options for bringing down one particular racket. Rather than sneak into a hideout, I chose to go in guns raised, call in a squad of Irish mobsters to help me, and pick everyone off one by one. It took me a few tries--and eventually I decided to enter the building from a different entrance, but by coming in on a middle floor instead of the basement, I was able to wipe everyone out successfully.

Later, I had two choices for infiltrating the hotel where my target lived. I could go the garage, steal a car, and engage in some subterfuge, or I could walk into the hotel lobby and start shooting. I went with the latter and had to battle my way up multiple floors of a penthouse, tossing molotovs to wipe out multiple mobsters at once.

PCGAMER:

The important thing to know is that none of these activities are side-quests. Hangar 13 is at pains to emphasise that everything you do in Mafia III pushes you forward. Everything is part of the core narrative, the new structure simply in place to deliver a greater sense of player authorship by way of a wider path to the end goal. That’s very welcome news to those of us who feared that the previous game’s nuanced, affecting, genuinely mature storytelling thrust might be drowned amid a push for minigames and nonsense diversions. Mafia’s new developer really seems to understand what makes the series special, and is building part three around the same key pillars of grown-up, character-driven story, sparkling historical detail, and smooth, snappy action.

IGN: The IGN article is worth watching the video version of the article as it has a decent amount of new gameplay footage.

Between shootouts with capos, you can do things like wiretap targeted areas, which will allow you to see enemies through walls -- as well as other items or points of interest -- in the Intel View. You can also upgrade your car so that car chases get even more fun -- I love how the turn-by-turn directions are organically placed in the game world as virtual road signs, by the way -- call in favors for things like cutting the phone lines so that the bad guys can’t call in reinforcements, and much more. It should give the open world some of the life that Mafia II lacked.

Loads more info at the links, if you find something interesting at another site post and I'll try to add to the OP

Gamespot

Editions
Everyone who preorders Mafia III will receive what 2K is calling the "Family Kick-Back." This comes with three "exclusive" vehicles and weapons. These will be "lieutenant-themed," but no other details were shared. In addition to the standard version of Mafia III, 2K will release limited deluxe ($80) and limited collector's ($150) editions. The limited deluxe edition comes with the game and its Season Pass, while the collector's edition has everything in the limited deluxe edition, as well as physical content such as the game's score on vinyl, a collectible art book, art prints, and other, unannounced items.

Garuda1One

Gamespot

Mafia III is already laying new ground. It's the first open-world game in the series, as well as the first to feature a biracial hero set during a time in the Deep South when racial tensions were at their most divisive.

What.. Mafia going open world ?
man i hope they nailed the narrative

Garuda1One

huh. I thought the previous 2 were "open world"? It's just there was nothing to do in it aside from the main missions from what I remember. That and collecting Playboys. lol

nope, theres not much you can do, and its a linear game in an "open world" location. So its not really an open world game like GTA.

and this :

Every place has its own problems. In Mafia III, you'll encounter an extortion racket in a bathhouse, illegal seizing and re-selling of gasoline and construction materials, drug and prostitution rings, and even a moonshine business. Once Lincoln takes over these districts, he will start getting a cut of what they earn, bulking up your wallet.

always loved The Godfather game with extortion 'side mission'.. glad to have that in Mafia

Vintage

huh. I thought the previous 2 were "open world"? It's just there was nothing to do in it aside from the main missions from what I remember. That and collecting Playboys. lol

Technically both Mafia 1 and 2 are open-world, but they were used only as a backdrop to create a more realistic feeling of the world. Probably what Gamespot means is that Mafia is going sandbox direction.

Simo

nope, theres not much you can do, and its a linear game in an "open world" location. So its not really an open world game like GTA.

and this :

always loved The Godfather game with extortion 'side mission'.. glad to have that in Mafia

Technically both Mafia 1 and 2 are open-world, but they were used only as a backdrop to create a more realistic feeling of the world. Probably what Gamespot means is that Mafia is going sandbox direction.

Ahh ok gotcha. I played both but never finished them...I'm thinking I should try Mafia II again...

Corpekata

Banned
The Wiretapping stuff reminds me sort of going out and finding the security camera areas in Sleeping Dogs, but taken to a more natural conclusion in that it's more passively helpful overall.

Dmax3901

WTF at being able to see people through walls with "intel vision". I mean the trailer was good but that is just dumb.

Hoje0308

Banned
This looked like a buy back when IGN gave it the First treatment, but now I'm in for sure. Hopefully the console versions run alright.

I hope nobody is going to go against me for saying this, but i am hoping the missions will be A LOT more fun than in GTA V. Don't get me wrong, i am a hardcore Rockstar Games fan, and even though there was much more variety in the missions in GTA V compared to IV, i just didn't click with me a lot of the time and that's a shame.

Mafia III is sounding better and better.

Alienous

I hope nobody is going to go against me for saying this, but i am hoping the missions will be A LOT more fun than in GTA V. Don't get me wrong, i am a hardcore Rockstar Games fan, and even though there was much more variety in the missions in GTA V compared to IV, i just didn't click with me a lot of the time and that's a shame.

Well it has a more open ended design, including stealth and things like that, so on a gameplay level it will probably be better than GTA V.

Hoje0308

Banned
I hope there's lots more to do in the open world. In Mafia 2 I would be happy to find a tower to climb.

The previews I watched specifically mentioned that there's much more to do. The IGN preview is only like three and a half minutes long and should ease your fears. IGN player still sucks though, so have fun with that.

Well it has a more open ended design, including stealth and things like that, so on a gameplay level it will probably be better than GTA V.

Yup i think so too, but also other things. For example i really dig how the enemies react to being shot. That looks damn good in the gameplay footage of Mafia 3 and somewhat off in GTA V.

The previews I watched specifically mentioned that there's much more to do. The IGN preview is only like three and a half minutes long and should ease your fears. IGN player still sucks though, so have fun with that.

Where is this video preview? I only see the story trailer there and the 12 minutes video from last year.

Hip Hop

and this :

Not being like GTA doesn't make a game not open world.

Previous Mafia games were open world, they just didn't do anything crazy with it.

tilomite!

Finally got the video to work. Looks like a big improvement over Mafia 2, with more stuff to do, and better combat.

dreamfall

No I think they will be - I mean across the franchise, Mafia's Story missions have always been really pretty grand. And each location always felt like a unique cinematic encounter that didn't really fall into the open world trappings of limited mission design to me.

What's really exciting is if they somehow manage to retain the grander Story mission designs, while adding these takeover mechanics. Clearing a map of enemy strongholds looks to be a really fun way to try to gain power, but it's the story missions that I want to know more about.

I consider the first Mafia game as maybe my favorite game of all time. This really looked insanely promising!

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
combat looks fucking savage, I am worried about the driving though. Graphics looks great but most footage prob on the PC, Ill reserve my statement until I se some ps4 footage along with frame performance

KainXVIII

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_mafia_iii_release_date_screensn_trailer-17770_en.html

Screenshots looks super rough, vaseline filter and jaggies, yikes. And chromatic aberration, lol.

image_mafia_iii-31512-2085_0012.jpg

image_mafia_iii-31512-2085_0003.jpg

Driving model makes or breaks these games for me, although I can drag myself through the game without freeroaming if the rest is good like in Sleeping Dogs.
Mafia was such a delight, never played the sequel.

-BLITZ-

Tells and feels more to the first The Godfather videogame which I really enjoyed till the end while replaying the game couple of times. Graphically, it feels, at least to me, close to Mafia II engine which is cool. Upgrade version of it ?

The footage from GamesRadar honestly didn't look that impressive to me. It looks good, but nothing that i can't see these consoles doing. In fact, the grainy shadows at the start of the video during the cutscene probably means it's Xbox One footage. Since we see those buttons later on too. Usually this is always crisp and clear on PC?

Rellik

I know it's not quite the same team, but I'd be surprised if it was a graphical mess on the PC since I personally think Mafia 2 still looks good to this day when maxed out.

Top Bottom