• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bunch of PSVR games turning into vaporware

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Seems there's a growing number of PSVR titles that we have stopped hearing about for a very long time, some simply missed their initial deadlines and we havent hear any explanation...

Final Fantasy XV VR was announced and shown mid last year, the game has been released and SE has released the future road map of the game with no vr indication

Tekken 7 VR was last mentioned in August but product descriptions for this game everywhere (Playstation site, amazon etc) doesnt mention anything about VR now

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 VR patch was suppose to be out last Oct, but Koei Tecmo announced in Sep that it is delayed indefinitely. 4 months has passed and no words.

Modern Zombie Taxi Co was announced in december 2015 for a 2016 release. The last time we heard about that game is at Unite 2016 in April 2016. Since then Vitei backroom is talking about their HTC vive title "A tiny escape" on twitter which suggest to me that there's no active development going on for Modern Zombie Taxi co

Fated: The Silent Oath and Psychonauts were scheduled for Q4 2016 and they are not released (yet at least). They might still come out though, and are just getting delayed silently.

War Thunder was said to be at PSVR launch and its still missing now

Godling was announced by Solfar back in mid 2015, but since Sep 2015 onward their twitter is all about Everest VR for HTC Vive...doesnt seems any active work is going on in Godling

Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head was originally announced to be ported from Gear VR to Vive,Rift,PSVR in Jan last year.. it got released Vive and Rift as promised (in last year Apr) but not for PSVR. No mention of PSVR on the game official page, and on twitter they are talking about their next game instead

Synthesis Universe was announced for Vive,Rift and PSVR in 2014. the developer tweeted 2 weeks ago that he is stopping all PSVR dev for now

Unison

I'm a PSVR owner, and I have to say that I find this to be really shitty news.

RE7 was really the main reason I bought the unit, and I am not sure that I see anything compelling on the horizon besides possibly Bridge Commander.

Starting to doubt that PSVR was a good purchase... I feel like Sony lied to us.

Speely

Banned
More like PSVRn't amirite???

Sorry I just wanted to make a bad pun. I want all VR platforms other than Oculus to flourish.

Unison

Why are units not available in stores? I haven't been following that front, since I have the system.

Maybe they are waiting for Sony to get the supply situations sorted out before they start software hype up again?

Novocaine

It's still to early to say. Game development does take time.

But with that being said Sony's track record supporting anything but mainline consoles is pretty shit.

Tekken doesn't even have a console release date yet, lol.

And while these titles not getting pushed out sucks, half of them are patches to hardware/modes additionally added, and the other half are games. There's still quite a few titles with both slated for release this year, although I don't think it's going to ramp up to a lot of shit like with normal titles for a while. VR is still a niche ass market.

I hope FFXV and DOA X3 is still a thing. Bought the latter just for VR (dont laugh)
I'm a PSVR owner, and I have to say that I find this to be really shitty news.

RE7 was really the main reason I bought the unit, and I am not sure that I see anything compelling on the horizon besides possibly Bridge Commander.

Also its not like it was cheap :(

Still I believe in the new experiences that this is capable of bringing to us

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Read the OP and saw no actual confirmation of cancelled VR support. OP just assumes everything is turning into "vaporware" because we haven't heard new details/info on said potential VR support.

jeffram

Didn't codemasters just announce dirt was getting a vr patch? Still troubling if the trend is the other way around.

How many units of PSVR have sold?
How many games have been bought by PSVR owners specifically for VR?

These two will justify the output.
Sony hasn't given any official indication of attach rate or units sold. The only thing they've gone on record saying is that it sold more than anticipated. Anecdotally, the PSVR attach rate is extremely high. At least if Reddit is any measurement. Most VR owners, myself included, own several title in the VR library and are eager for more. Games that wouldn't ordinarily be given a second chance on traditional platforms, are gobbled up by early adopters. I've purchased more VR games in three months than traditional console releases in two years. I'm not alone.

I suspect that these vapor ware releases are either quality control calls by Sony gatekeepers to ensure that games maintain a high standard, or that the developers themselves (final fantasy comes to mind), are retooling ideas after feedback and hands on time with PSVR and competitor hardware.

Vaporware? Maybe. But I suspect that it's too early to say that the sky is falling just yet. Those releases my come out stealth-like and surprise everyone.

ArtHands

Read the OP and saw no actual confirmation of cancelled VR support. OP just assumes everything is turning into "vaporware" because we haven't heard new details/info on said potential VR support.

you know we wouldn't call them vaporware if they are officially cancelled right?

Sony has screwed up the psvr release so badly. They don't get enough hardware on the shelves and then don't support the hardware after the initial offerings. Why even release this thing?

ranmafan

Tabata just mentioned the vr thing in a recent interview like a week ago.

Yes this was absoutely mentioned in either famitsu or dengeki playstation. Can't remember which one exactly but I have a copy of it somewhere and i remember reading the interview and them mentioning the FFXV VR content along with the recent new roadmap content stuff. I'll sure it's still happening. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a while till we saw it released though. Especially with how impossibly hard it is to find a PSVR unit in Japan.

Unison

Sony has screwed up the psvr release so badly. They don't get enough hardware on the shelves and then don't support the hardware after the initial offerings. Why even release this thing?

I wonder if there's an intended relaunch once the supply situation is sorted... the paucity of news at the December PS event indicates that they are either killing it in its crib or mustering a second wind.

I wonder if there's an intended relaunch once the supply situation is sorted... the paucity of news at the December PS event indicates that they are either killing it in its crib or mustering a second wind.

Sony has been upfront about VR since day one. It's for the hardcore early adopters and releasing it now was to build a base for the future. It's not going to get a huge stream of games just modest support. Consumers are buying enough to keep them happy but Sony isn't going to push something consumers haven't started gravitating towards en masse.

Unison

Sony has been upfront about VR since day one. It's for the hardcore early adopters and releasing it now was to build a base for the future. It's not going to get a huge stream of games just modest support. Consumers are buying enough to keep them happy but Sony isn't going to push something consumers haven't started gravitating towards en masse.

Is it even available in stores?

I've never seen one in the wild.

EDIT - Also, I've never seen this rhetoric. Can you point me to them saying this?

jchap

Lets add this up:

1. Expensive accessory sold to a tiny fraction of the user base
2. Said accessory makes some people physically ill with certain types of experiences
3. Said accessory still has not proven a compelling format for games (across any VR platform)

It's no shock it isn't getting support. Hopefully we can count on Sony to support their own device but then again there was the Vita.

Yeah i hope it's the latter but knowing Sony's history with accessories I'm going to say it's the former.

ranmafan

EDIT - Also, I've never seen this rhetoric. Can you point me to them saying this?

Where I live in Japan, it's impossible to find. There have been only like two shippments, both small and sold out quickly. Next week we are getting another shipment to go a long with resident evil 7 but I seriously doubt it will make much a dent in the demand. The thing is super popular here and many many people want it. Me too and sadly I'll probably won't be able to get one for months considering the situation as it is here. I'm hoping Sony gets more into the market here fast

It's in one of their pre-release interviews where they discuss the fact that the market isn't significantly ready for VR. VR in general is niche, even on the PC. The general consumer isn't rushing out to buy VR and its games in large droves.

Well. They probably got to a point and were like screw it.. vr right now only works with a few types of games right now that set it apart.. vr hasn't had its mario64 moment.. Although it is amazing there isn't a lot of replayability out there and the tech isn't ready to go mainstream for full games at a console level yet.

Unison

It's in one of their pre-release interviews where they discuss the fact that the market isn't significantly ready for VR. VR in general is niche, even on the PC. The general consumer isn't rushing out to buy VR and its games in large droves.

If you could find the source, I'd appreciate this. Logically, it runs counter to the idea of announcing a slate of games in the first place.

xabbott

I haven't touched my PSVR since launch month and bought Rez, Until Dawn, Batman, and Job Simulator, and maybe some smaller titles. Haven't seen anything substantial enough to play it more.

I hope the Pyschonauts game comes out at least before Sony vitas this.

If you could find the source, I'd appreciate this. Logically, it runs counter to the idea of announcing a slate of games in the first place.
I can't speak to his source but I am sure that a lot of developers were splitballing saying they would have stuff out and when they sat down and logistically tried to hammer it out they figured out from a business standpoint it was not worth it.

dugdug

Banned
If install base is a factor here, it'd be nice if Sony put some more units in the pipeline. Shit is impossible to find.

golem

VR was already dead by the time PSVR was released. Not surprised if the initial wave of games was pretty much it for releases, though im sure some indie stuff will eventually show up.

Unison

I can't speak to his source but I am sure that a lot of developers were splitballing saying they would have stuff out and when they sat down and logistically tried to hammer it out they figured out from a business standpoint it was not worth it.

Yeah, it's totally reasonable for individual developers to do this and even publicly state this. It's entirely different (and shocking!) for the platform holder to do this.

Look at the claim again:

I am baffled that Sony would say this... essentially telling customers not to expect much.

If I missed such a statement, I only have myself to blame for buying PSVR.

VR was already dead by the time PSVR was released. Not surprised if the initial wave of games was pretty much it for releases, though im sure some indie stuff will eventually show up.

Lol.. I love these guys.. Vr is far from dead it's just not where people want it to be right now..

Well, you can't sell a piece of hardware without software. But you can't ask developers to create mass amounts of games for a piece of hardware that's expensive and niche. This was about as middle ground as it gets.

I am baffled that Sony would say this... essentially telling customers not to expect much.

If I missed such a statement, I only have myself to blame for buying PSVR.

You are taking it too far. They aren't telling you not to expect much. You still have tons of software out right now, and games like Star Trek Bridge and RE7 are coming this year too. The year has just begun, and you can bet developers will start porting PC titles over to expand their audience. And despite not being made for a huge market, it sold reasonably well.

But VR in and of itself is a hard sell to the mass market. Quality games are harder to justify because you are going to out-of-the-gate get less sales than before. All this has to build, so as a consumer, making the plunge right now versus later down the line is all due to how much of the software you like currently.

Sony isn't saying "don't expect much", but really nobody should expect the same flood of games you'd get for a new system. Not even the Kinect's library was comparable to the "normal" one.

It's only been a few months. More software is going to drop, more announcements are coming, and big conferences are right around the corner again. Let it rock and see how it plays out.

ArtHands

Hasn't PSVR been out for only like 3 months...?

Calm thyself.

There are only 2 upcoming Playstation VR games (not counting experience) with a confirmed release date: Resident Evil 7 and Star Trek, and I believe there's no PSVR game released in the past 2 or 3 weeks. Sony London got hit with lay off, Evolution closed before Driveclub VR got released, Guerrilla Cambridge got shuttered. I can't say this is assuring in any way for a new platform...

Glad I waited to see if PSVR was worth it. I really want to play RE7 in VR, but I can't justify it if the support is not there. Or even appears to be there, and then disappears.

Top Bottom