• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Lady Gaia

Now I also have the LG B6 in mind. Would it be better for gaming than the KS8000?

I believe the KS8000 still has lower input lag, but both are great choices. The factor that tipped me toward the KS8000 for us is higher peak brightness because our viewing environment is frequently brightly lit wth sunlight. If you have a reliably dark environment without glare then the unbeatable black levels of OLED might put the B6 on top.

Aspiring

Ok gaf have a question.

Its not really related to ps4 pro but dont know where to post.

I got an xbox one s and on the 4k checklist screen says my tv cannot play native 4k games bit will upscale and only play 4k blurays if the app suppports it. I know this is because it is an 8 bit panel not a 10 bit.

My question is will it still output ultra hd blurays at 4k? Does the bluray app on the console support it?

Thanks!

heytred

Neo Member
Sup friends - I've got a question!

I purchased an ASUS PB287Q 28" 4k monitor two weeks ago as well as a PS4 Pro. I must not have done my research well enough and realized after the fact I'm a bit of a conflict. I've tried looking online, but figured I may as well ask here too.

My PS4 says my monitor does not support 4k - from what I understand this is an HDMI 1.4/2.0 issue? I tried using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable with no success, so my question is:

Am I just fucked when it comes to 4k on my PS4 with this monitor? From what I understand they were compatible on an older PS4 firmware version. Have there been any announcements about this issue from Sony?

slade

Anybody have any experience with LG's uh7650 television? Very few reviews of it out there but there are for the uh7700. Some research shows it's basically the uh7700 with some wifi differences and 120hz instead of 240hz. Anybody have either the uh7650 or uh7700. How is the HDR on these TV's on the PS4?

Nemesis_

Presently tossing up between the following two television sets.

I've been using rting.com to get an idea of what is what but I want to hear some personal anecdotes too just to make sure there is nothing I am not missing out on.

While I'd love a bigger panel, I hear OLED is far superior but is this really the case for gaming?

These are the two sets I am presently considering. I do find the bigger screen of the Sony set alluring but apparently the HDR is "average" on that set according to rting.com Can anyone elaborate?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6 (65")

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850d (75")

I am happy to pay more for the OLED but I would prefer a bigger screen. But if the HDR compatibility on that Sony is actually an issue I will be willing to let go of it completely.

Ok, out of the blue today I found out my friend has a Samsung EPP account and he said I could use it to order a TV. I can get a 60'' KS8000 for $855 which seems like a ridiculously good deal.

I want a 4K TV but until 20 minutes ago I was totally resigned to wait for next years models. From what I remember around the release of the Pro, the KS8000's were the most recommended. Any issues or anything I should know before jumping in? Anyone recommend just waiting for next years models?

KS8000 is a great tv, I had one...Amazing picture oh how I miss it so. Returned mine because the back panel started separate from the main panel but it also had huge wifi issues where it would not be able to connect to the wifi after leaving the tv off for maybe more than 30 mins. Was quite annoying, I was going to get a replacement but returned it since I know CES is around the corner and will be looking at the new Sony, lg, & Samsung models. If none of the models do it for me I'll probably just get the KS8000 before it's replaced by the 2017 lineup. Should be able to get it for a great deal then.

Though, I have a good feeling about the 2017 models from those manufactures. So if you can wait it out do it, if not get the KS8000.

I've been using rting.com to get an idea of what is what but I want to hear some personal anecdotes too just to make sure there is nothing I am not missing out on.

While I'd love a bigger panel, I hear OLED is far superior but is this really the case for gaming?

These are the two sets I am presently considering. I do find the bigger screen of the Sony set alluring but apparently the HDR is "average" on that set according to rting.com Can anyone elaborate?

I am happy to pay more for the OLED but I would prefer a bigger screen. But if the HDR compatibility on that Sony is actually an issue I will be willing to let go of it completely.

x850d is a bad choice for 4k gaming. high input lag, terrible black levels

b6 or ks8000 if you want a larger screen

n0razi

B6 wipes the floor with the 850d, hell it wipes the floor with the KS8000 too at off axis viewing. I returned the KS8000 for a B6 due to the viewing angles on VA panels.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just bought a second 4K TV for the spare room. Just needed something for Xbox games at about 40". But looking at things like the Samsung 40k5500 or Sony 40wd653, it was only £50 more for a Samsung 40k6000 which is 4K so I went for that. I figure even if it isn't used with 4K sources now, it'll be ready for things like the next gen consoles, or I can hook up to my gaming PC as it'll be in the same room (albeit not close). Plus the built in streaming apps will be nice at 4K simply from a higher bitrate.

Mindwipe

Amazon has this: Sony Bravia 49 inch Android 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart TV with Youview, Freeview HD, PlayStation Now (2016 Model) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IT1ZZEW/

..for £550. Can't see a model number, does anyone know if this has got all the stuff I need for PS4 Pro?

Input lag isn't amazing but it's a pretty nice TV for the price and yes, has every feature you'd want for a PS4 Pro (HDR, 4K, multiple HDMI ports supporting HDCP 2.2).

Thank you.
Now I also have the LG B6 in mind. Would it be better for gaming than the KS8000?

OLEDs have non existent pixel response times. Which eliminates motion blur artifacts, ghosting and color streaks common in LED VA panels of today. Considering in a video game camera movents are fast and common, pixel response time is as crucial as input lag. As a recent 4k HDR LED owner, I'm jealous that you're considering getting an OLED. Lets put it that way.

Sup friends - I've got a question!

I purchased an ASUS PB287Q 28" 4k monitor two weeks ago as well as a PS4 Pro. I must not have done my research well enough and realized after the fact I'm a bit of a conflict. I've tried looking online, but figured I may as well ask here too.

My PS4 says my monitor does not support 4k - from what I understand this is an HDMI 1.4/2.0 issue? I tried using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable with no success, so my question is:

Am I just fucked when it comes to 4k on my PS4 with this monitor? From what I understand they were compatible on an older PS4 firmware version. Have there been any announcements about this issue from Sony?

Hi!

As someone who just purchased the same god damn monitor 2 days ago, let me tell you why this is. So in order for the PS4 Pro to display 4k resolution, the monitor needs to support HDMI 2.0. The monitor you and I purchased/received/were gifted only has HDMI 1.4. A few patches ago this used to work with HDMI 1.4 but it was patched and no longer works with 1.4. So, I am now in the process of returning my monitor to amazon and will get another monitor.

Amazon has a newer version of the PB287Q but they state it ships within 3-5 weeks....they can GTFO with that. Here's a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYU0GVC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My brother purchased this one here but it's got 5ms latency instead of 1ms but he love it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0ZRQTW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hi!

As someone who just purchased the same god damn monitor 2 days ago, let me tell you why this is. So in order for the PS4 Pro to display 4k resolution, the monitor needs to support HDMI 2.0. The monitor you and I purchased/received/were gifted only has HDMI 1.4. A few patches ago this used to work with HDMI 1.4 but it was patched and no longer works with 1.4. So, I am now in the process of returning my monitor to amazon and will get another monitor.

Amazon has a newer version of the PB287Q but they state it ships within 3-5 weeks....they can GTFO with that. Here's a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYU0GVC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My brother purchased this one here but it's got 5ms latency instead of 1ms but he love it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0ZRQTW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah. A lot of these 4k pc monitors may have a display port that handles 4k at 60 hz but not their hdmi inputs.

And unfortunately there is no hdmi 2.0 to display port conversion cable that supports 60hz bandwidth. The other way around there is, but not the way we need it. There is one in the works though, but it won't be out until post-march 2017.

Which sucks because a lot of these pc monitors might be TN panel based, but those panels have low input lag, and fast pixel response times.

Lagamorph

Been having a look at the Samsung KS8000 series (I'm in the UK so it would be 8000, not 9000) as they seem to be about the best for HDR gaming at the moment in terms of input lag as far as I know, but even in the sales going to cost about £1,900 for the 65", plus I'd probably need it wall mounting as my current stand is only for up to 55" really.
Think I'll wait a bit longer. Got a 4K Sony at the moment, but I don't think it's HDR, about 3 years old now.

Will see what 2017 brings, maybe some better sets or reductions on price on the current sets, and see if I get an end of year bonus in July/August.

Yeah. A lot of these 4k pc monitors may have a display port that handles 4k at 60 hz but not their hdmi inputs.

And unfortunately there is no hdmi 2.0 to display port conversion cable that supports 60hz bandwidth. The other way around there is, but not the way we need it. There is one in the works though, but it won't be out until post-march 2017.

Which sucks because a lot of these pc monitors might be TN panel based, but those panels have low input lag, and fast pixel response times.

Yeah this whole situation truly sucks. I just decided to go with the

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0ZRQTW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't need a TV, have enough of those. I need a monitor and this one seems pretty damn good.

Aceofspades

Banned
Im glad I waited on buying 4k TV, CES 2017 had some great TVs.

Im eying that speakerless Sony OLED, it wont be cheap but... hopefully it will be under $3000

Pennywise

I'm fining it hard to find any TV in my budget (£600) that anyone on GAF recommends, they only seem to recommend TV's that push 1k

I get that one in my budget might not be as good as one double that, but there must be a few TV's that are the best for gaming in that price range

You didn't even give a preferred size.
Prices are vastly different when you go from 43-65.

Pennywise

Ah sorry, I'm looking for around 50 inches

I would personally go for this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IF521AI/

You could get it even cheaper, if you consider the warehouse deals (obviously not the one with real damages, just the damaged packaging or cosmetic issues on the accessories).

Input lag is pretty low and it handles motion rather good.
HDR is decent, but you can't expect the same level as the KS series or other premium TVs.

There aren't that many alternatives that I know of.
Samsung KU series got problems with judder and doesn't have wide colour garmut, on top of the rather lackluster HDR.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming
The Digital Foundry crew also recommended those two Panasonic models.
However, the input lag might be to much for you, it's really something where you have to decide for yourself what your limit is.
Haven't seen those two TVs in person, so I can't really speak about it.

I haven't seen the Hisense TVs in person either.
Generally I would go for the Sony TV, if you want to pick up one now.
The other choice would be waiting for a bit and maybe saving a bit more. Prices are constantly falling, especially if you compare the prices from October to the offers you'll see these days.

Pennywise

Can get this (55") for €1029 on Amazon DE, very very tempted. Do you have one yourself?

Anyone else have any thoughts?
I played on it and watched some things on it.
I tested out older material to see what the upscaler was capable of, among other things.
I haven't purchased it yet, but I'm considering it. However the KS series is getting cheaper and cheaper and seems to get into a price range I can afford. The HDR was just alot better on the KS and I would love something that is a bit more future proof about that feature.

The Sony on Amazon DE is not from Amazon itself, just a marketplace dealer (which I wouldn't really recommend, unless you know the dealer).
They already had it for 900€ and cheaper. It's pretty weird, but Amazon DE seems to have delisted it or they are sold out for the time being (they price matched a certain retailers offer for 900€ or so).

Was about to say that there are various retailers that got it for 700-1100€, but I saw that you're not from Germany and those shops don't ship elsewhere, plus there isn't a deal on it currently.

It is a great option for sure, just depends on your budget and if you're willed to wait or save up some more (as there are some other great and better models).

I played on it and watched some things on it.
I tested out older material to see what the upscaler was capable of, among other things.
I haven't purchased it yet, but I'm considering it. However the KS series is getting cheaper and cheaper and seems to get into a price range I can afford. The HDR was just alot better on the KS and I would love something that is a bit more future proof about that feature.

The Sony on Amazon DE is not from Amazon itself, just a marketplace dealer (which I wouldn't really recommend, unless you know the dealer).
They already had it for 900€ and cheaper. It's pretty weird, but Amazon DE seems to have delisted it or they are sold out for the time being (they price matched a certain retailers offer for 900€ or so).

Was about to say that there are various retailers that got it for 700-1100€, but I saw that you're not from Germany and those shops don't ship elsewhere, plus there isn't a deal on it currently.

It is a great option for sure, just depends on your budget and if you're willed to wait or save up some more (as there are some other great and better models).

I'm living in Germany atm. I can buy it on Amazon.co.uk directly from Amazon and have it delivered to here for €980.

What stores are offering it cheaper in Germany? I see Saturn is €1058.

Just moved into a new apartment and the TV that came with it is a 32" 720p TV, so I'm eager to upgrade, but I'd need alot of convincing to go over €1,000.

Anarion07

I'm living in Germany atm. I can buy it on Amazon.co.uk directly from Amazon and have it delivered to here for €980.

Just moved into a new apartment and the TV that came with it is a 32" 720p TV, so I'm eager to upgrade, but I'd need alot of convincing to go over €1,000.

Try media markt. T
At that price hey will give you a 150 gift card atm.

Pennywise

Hehe Saturn had an offer where they took 16% off the price on everything, but that only ran from 2-3 January (they had the KS7090 for 1160€ or so, which was already a pretty great deal).
That is what Amazon pricematched with the XD8005 and a couple of other TVs.

There isn't any other deal currently that I know of. The easiest way for you is probably www.kaufda.de
Just type in your postal code and it shows you all offers in your town, that's where you can look for electronic stores like Media Markt or Saturn, because the best deals are usually local deals.
For example, in November they had that Sony TV for 800€ in a local store in my town.
On top of that, the prices on the Saturn page are for their online shop, so your local price could be lower.

In general I strongly suggest to actually spend a bit of time within Media Markt or Saturn and actually check out these TVs.
The store clerks should have some demos ready and it's just way better to see the TVs in person.
It's a pain in the ass to send it back if you don't like it, so I really suggest to check them out in store.

And what Anarion07 said is true, they're currently giving out gift cards at Media Markt for certain purchases, TVs are among it.

bosseye

I'm looking at the Sony 49XD8077/88/99 for £629 or the Samsung 49KS7000 for £850. Is the Samsung really worth the extra?

Cheers GAF.

Normally I'm extremely careful and obsessively research these things, but I erred toward price and convenience and picked up a Vizio M55-D0 and have run into the whole slew of issues people have with these and other TVs re: HDR. Snow, blinking screens, the whole mess as soon as I enable HDR.

Is there a settled idea of which is at fault? The TV itself or the console supporting it?

At least 4K looks stunning on it.

Try media markt. T
At that price hey will give you a 150 gift card atm.

Hehe Saturn had an offer where they took 16% off the price on everything, but that only ran from 2-3 January (they had the KS7090 for 1160€ or so, which was already a pretty great deal).
That is what Amazon pricematched with the XD8005 and a couple of other TVs.

There isn't any other deal currently that I know of. The easiest way for you is probably www.kaufda.de
Just type in your postal code and it shows you all offers in your town, that's where you can look for electronic stores like Media Markt or Saturn, because the best deals are usually local deals.
For example, in November they had that Sony TV for 800€ in a local store in my town.
On top of that, the prices on the Saturn page are for their online shop, so your local price could be lower.

In general I strongly suggest to actually spend a bit of time within Media Markt or Saturn and actually check out these TVs.
The store clerks should have some demos ready and it's just way better to see the TVs in person.
It's a pain in the ass to send it back if you don't like it, so I really suggest to check them out in store.

And what Anarion07 said is true, they're currently giving out gift cards at Media Markt for certain purchases, TVs are among it.

Thanks guys. Think I'll head into my local Saturn on Saturday and have a look around before I make a decision.

Madness

Im glad I waited on buying 4k TV, CES 2017 had some great TVs.

Im eying that speakerless Sony OLED, it wont be cheap but... hopefully it will be under $3000

So far the flagships sound great. The LG flagship OLED is near paper thin and supposedly held up to a wall by magnets. I like how they are also adding HDR support for Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) and Technicolor HDR in addition to HDR10 and Dolby Vision. The Samsung QLED flagships will have 1500-2000 nits of brightness as well. But that Sony OLED Bravia A1 sounds like a winner to me. Wonder how it will compare to LG OLED flagship.

OLEDs have non existent pixel response times. Which eliminates motion blur artifacts, ghosting and color streaks common in LED VA panels of today. Considering in a video game camera movents are fast and common, pixel response time is as crucial as input lag. As a recent 4k HDR LED owner, I'm jealous that you're considering getting an OLED. Lets put it that way.
OLED is still sample-and-hold, so has stacks of motionblur. Pixel response time isn't the deciding factor.

Pennywise

Is there any difference between that one and this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IF52216/

I was told the one I linked is pretty poor in the OT TV tech thread, and that was the one I was looking at before

The TRILUMINOS Display is listed at the top and the different colour, but the former is also listed on the 8077 in the description.
So it looks like the difference might be only the colour. Seriously though, I got no idea. You might have to google that one. We don't have these different models in Germany, or at least I never saw them.

It's no perfect TV that's for sure, got some flaws that might be bad for some, while they won't affect others.
For your budget, you won't get a perfect TV that excells in every category and is without any flaws. It's the midrange after all :p
However, people have been complaining about the premium models as well. OLEDs or the KS series had people complaining, while others praised them to no end.
People perceive things different, that's why I strongly suggest to go to an electronic store and check the model out yourself.
We had so many people here on GAF that blindly bought a TV off the Internet, without ever checking them out in person.

I linked the RTINGS review above for that model (don't get confused as the US name is slightly different.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d
There are alot more reviews out there, but seriously check the TV out in person and take a look at some other models while you're at it.

bosseye

I've decided to get the Sony 49xd8077 (silver). It seems to be a good choice for gaming and mixed use, has decent HDR performance for the price and I can get it for around £580 with work discount.

The ks7000 is a no go; it's going to be a bit too expensive at the moment for me, plus those feet at either side of the panel mean it genuinely won't fit on my TV unit at the angle it needs to be....so that's a new TV unit etc etc. So no.

I think I need to keep in mind I don't have unlimited funds, there's nothing actually wrong with my existing TV so this is a pure 'want' upgrade, and also it will no doubt be better than the TV I'm currently using which I bought without any knowledge of input lag values and the like. Its doubtful I'll even notice 15ms difference in input lag or black uniformity etc without having two TVS side by side to compare. I'll end up enjoying what I've got which in this case seems to be a sensibly priced midrange UHD TV with wide gamut colour, 10bit panel, decent HDR performance, decent motion and upscaling capabilities etc.

So it's quite annoying that Curry's where I can get the discount is out of stock.

Okay, I know I want to purchase the KS8000, but I don't where I should purchase it from: Best Buy or Amazon? I've never ordered a television online but Amazon has a better protection plan.

Okay, I know I want to purchase the KS8000, but I don't where I should purchase it from: Best Buy or Amazon? I've never ordered a television online but Amazon has a better protection plan.

Though, you may get a better price online for TVs I tend to buy in store like best buy due to convenience of returning right away either for a refund or to swap without the long weight. That's just me though.

Though, you may get a better price online for TVs I tend to buy in store like best buy due to convenience of returning right away either for a refund or to swap without the long weight. That's just me though.

I think I'll do just that. If something's wrong I can immediately return it to BB. Thanks for the reply.

bosseye

Ok. Bought the Sony XD8077, 49 inch. Very pleased so far, but I'm still a little confused by HDR. I've been using fifa as a test. The HDR settings on the ps4 pro I've left as auto. I've changed the hdmi inputs to enhanced on the TV. If I leave the HDR settings on the TV as auto, then the picture looks, not washed out as such, but not as bright as I thought HDR would be - it looks good mind, the colours are very realistic md there is a lot more subtlety. But it doesn't pop as much as I thought from reading about HDR.

But if I turn the HDR option on the TV to on rather than auto the picture goes boom. Really bright highlights, dark darks etc, ie pops as I thought it should,but it's almost oversaturated so not as realistic. It look good but in a totally different way.

So honestly I'm not sure which is correct!

For anyone with a Microcenter near them (I think they're only in the U.S.)

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=029090&utm_source=eNews%20Special%20Ed%2020170112&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=E4039&MccGuid=153ECE6B-46FE-4C6F-AE40-E302FA7D85AD

55" Samsung UN55KU6290 for only $550. I'm considering getting this one since it has HDR and a game mode for a good price. Only caveat is apparently the HDR only works with HDMI input 1 unless there's been a firmware update to accomodate that.

Does anyone else have experience with this particular TV? Any opinions or testimonials would be appreciated. Deal is only this weekend I think.

Edit: Went ahead and took the plunge. Will post impressions after I get some time with the set. Luckily Best Buy had the same deal.

KevinG

Tried searching this thread but it isn't working on mobile.

The Samsung KU6270? I assume it isn't true 10-but HDR, by there's a heck of a good deal on TVs at Target this week, and I can't really afford to go up the KS8000 for $500 more.

Just help me decide if I should jump on this GAF!

Edit: I just want to know if the difference is worth $500. If it is, i would rather quickly wish I had waited for the technology in the KS8000 to become more standard and affordable.

I have an old 1080p Phillips TV, 42" and it's such a sad looking panel.

Top Bottom