• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twilo99

I just got kicked for inactivity - that's a first in CoD for me!

It was a hardcore FFA game, hadn't been going very long and I was still defending the room where I first spawned. Got four kills, somebody figured out where I was and started shooting rockets, so I moved to cover the door while waiting for him but then I was booted out. I was third in the leaderboard at that point.

If they expect people to keep running around in hardcore FFA on large maps, I think I'll have to take that mode off my playlist.

I think that's a bug and its supposed to get fixed "soon"

calistan

I think that's a bug and its supposed to get fixed "soon"
I googled it and there are people complaining about it on Reddit since November!

I guess I haven't played that many FFA matches, I have to be in the right mood for that mode. On large maps it's a campfest by design for anyone of mediocre skill such as myself.

twilo99

Man.,.

That looks like a really cool tool/site... thanks for posting that.

I see you can build stuff out but does it already have suggested "meta" loadouts to try?

I haven’t used the meta stuff but I think if you look on his YouTube channel he explains how it all works.

I just use it to compare the base guns and then I figure out the builds, but I like that process, you don’t have to do it that way.

clarky

Banned
Great games on Doubles Resurgence on the durka-durka-stan map(s) last night. Plays slower than Ashika/Vondel at the start but ramps up at the end. Good times.

Last edited:

twilo99

Great games on Doubles Resurgence on the durka-durka-stan map(s) last night. Plays slower than Ashika/Vondel at the start but ramps up at the end. Good times.

Same! I played maybe 5 of those yesterday and all great fun.. I played random trios which is always a lottery.

clarky

Banned
Same! I played maybe 5 of those yesterday and all great fun.. I played random trios which is always a lottery.
I was with a pal last night but don't mind the random quads/trio's as well.

Part of the appeal in resurgence for me is if you get a rouge team member intent on fucking off it doesn't screw your game nearly as much as in regular BR. Same if your a man down the game is still winnable with some decent positioning and a tactics.

HawarMiran

Banned
I miss the times when CoD was primarily a single-player game and the multiplayer was just a novelty :messenger_pensive:
Now it is the other way around and the stories are over the top stupidity. I want a grounded campaign again, where you are just a soldier in a big war

Last edited:

clarky

Banned
the first CoD had no multiplayer. The second and third had one, but i doubt it was as big as now. And the main focus was the single-player for sure
COD has always been known for its MP, It didn't explode until 4 granted but i'd hardly call the MP in any FPS game a novelty.

Think your missing a game that never existed. COD has always had MP, including the original. They had some great campaigns but I think bar 1 and maybe 2 the MP has always been the main event for the majority of COD players.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
COD has always been known for its MP, It didn't explode until 4 granted but i'd hardly call the MP in any FPS game a novelty.

Think your missing a game that never existed. COD has always had MP, including the original. They had some great campaigns but I think bar 1 and maybe 2 the MP has always been the main event for the majority of COD players.
I don't know but in my memory MP became big with Modern Warfare. Before that i didn't know anybody playing CoD MP. Maybe it was a small community in Germany back then? Counter-Strike was the top dog

clarky

Banned
I don't know but in my memory MP became big with Modern Warfare. Before that i didn't know anybody playing CoD MP. Maybe it was a small community in Germany back then? Counter-Strike was the top dog
You must have been on PC?

Because Halo was definitely top dog (on console) in those times as far as SP/MP FPS's go until MW4 went on to upset the apple cart. COD has never been that big on PC until recently as far as I can remember. The older COD's still had solid ish MP on console as far as i recall. But it has been a very long time granted so i could be wrong.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
You must have been on PC?

Because Halo was definitely top dog (on console) in those times as far as SP/MP FPS's go until MW4 went on to upset the apple cart. COD has never been that big on PC until recently as far as I can remember. The older COD's still had solid ish MP on console as far as i recall. But it has been a very long time granted so i could be wrong.
yeah I don't really play FPS on consoles and true CoD was not the biggest shooter back then.

Bond007

I remember these times.
I also remember the mentality that you wanted to finish the story before jumping into multiplayer. Once the first MW came out, I think this idea of Campaign first started to change. The multiplayer also improved a ton aswell
I'm a console gamer

Last edited:

Mr Moose

MCW not sure on my build not near my PS5 to check but with the detailed specs just pick everything to reduce recoil

The 3 shot burst rifle is actually my go to on HC

Side note the event is bugged, actually need 1.2 million XP for the silly camo

Another missing event tab for me...? Jesus Christ they need to fix this game.

Edit:

WEEKS??

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Another missing event tab for me...? Jesus Christ they need to fix this game.

Edit:

WEEKS??

So much is bugged on such a huge copy and paste game

But give this startup small indie team a break, they are working hard to fix the bugs

Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

NickFire

COD 2 was a launch game for 360. In my corner of the world everyone with a 360 was into the multiplayer. But yes, Modern Warfare was the tipping point between a game and a phenomenon.

Calverz

Gold Member
Stormender challenge still not fixed. Played one match of vortex and thought it was rubbish. Won’t play it again. Thank god it doesn’t have to be played for the new events like in mw2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
First time jumping into COD in weeks. I'm like level 45 and almost everyone is 100+. Some guys are level 250 and I got smashed match after match. It's like everyone on killcam is a pro league gamer. I bailed. I played TDM if that matters as I'm not sure if playing objective modes messes with the SBMM algorithm differently.

To me, I still think SBMM is based entirely on KD. My KD isn't godly. It's been consistently 1.30 - 1.40. My WL is so bad it's almost down to 0.50 (I think it was 0.53).

If this game was all about SBMM having gamers enter lobbies so everyone's wins gravitates to roughly a 1.00 WL I'd believe SBMM works. To me, it doesn't.

Last edited:

calistan

First time jumping into COD in weeks. I'm like level 45 and almost everyone is 100+. Some guys are level 250 and I got smashed match after match. It's like everyone on killcam is a pro league gamer. I bailed. I played TDM if that matters as I'm not sure if playing objective modes messes with the SBMM algorithm differently.

To me, I still think SBMM is based entirely on KD. My KD isn't godly. It's been consistently 1.30 - 1.40. My WL is so bad it's almost down to 0.50 (I think it was 0.53).

If this game was all about SBMM having gamers enter lobbies so everyone's wins gravitates to roughly a 1.00 WL I'd believe SBMM works. To me, it doesn't.
My K/D is terrible, like 0.6 or something, but SBMM has let me win my last eight games in a row. I think it's definitely weighted towards kills - the recent games record only shows your kill count, it doesn't even mention the objectives.

The only modes I have on my list now are hardcore domination / HQ and the occasional round of kill confirmed. Those are way more fun for me, and I get much better matchups - possibly because despite spending the most time in the objectives I'm often finishing in the middle of the rankings. I just let other people do the killing.

twilo99

I saw a few post and mentions that the SBMM acted differently in the 10v10 mosh pit vs regular 6v6 and after about 40 games I can confirm that in 6v6 things are much tighter, so if you want a "chiller" experience play 10v10

I wish it did last 20 games but this is pretty much in line with what I'm getting currently

10 games of 6v6

10 games of 10v10

Last edited:

calistan

I saw a few post and mentions that the SBMM acted differently in the 10v10 mosh pit vs regular 6v6 and after about 40 games I can confirm that in 6v6 things are much tighter, so if you want a "chiller" experience play 10v10

I wish it did last 20 games but this is pretty much in line with what I'm getting currently

10 games of 6v6

10 games of 10v10
Are those the right way round? You’re getting 1.0 in 10v10 vs 2.33 in 6v6.

edit: Here's what I'm getting by focusing entirely on objectives (6v6), it's like a different game.

WbTfp4R.jpg

Last edited:

twilo99

Are those the right way round? You’re getting 1.0 in 10v10 vs 2.33 in 6v6.

edit: Here's what I'm getting by focusing entirely on objectives (6v6), it's like a different game.

WbTfp4R.jpg

Good work there. Yes, in 6v6 you are much more likely to get a team that actually plays to win, where in 10v10 it's more chaotic..

You are looking at my win/loss ratio, I'm just talking about K/D, which for me personally reflects how hard the lobbies are, and you can see that I'm having a much easier time in 10v10

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Just bought it since it was 30% and I love me some zombies. As a long time Zombies player (black ops 1), I really like the new open map concept. However, as most people complains based on what I read , the timer is too short. You just hit your stride and then the 45 minutes is pretty much always 5 minutes out. I think the sweet spot to enjoy your progress would be an extra 30-45 minutes since the studio don't seem to want go without. Still dig it but a bit annoying.

calistan

Good work there. Yes, in 6v6 you are much more likely to get a team that actually plays to win, where in 10v10 it's more chaotic..

You are looking at my win/loss ratio, I'm just talking about K/D, which for me personally reflects how hard the lobbies are, and you can see that I'm having a much easier time in 10v10
I'm just letting the people who want to get 60+ kills while spending zero time in the objective do their own thing. They play their game and I spend most of my time in the objectives, inevitably getting blasted to pieces every few seconds, but it seems to work in terms of wins, plus I don't get matched with a well-organised team too often.

In previous CoDs I'd been concerned about my K/D to the point of not playing because I didn't want to end up losing badly. Like, I got to a level where I was happy with it and then I basically gave up on the game to avoid ruining my stats. As if anyone else actually looked at that stuff!

twilo99

I'm just letting the people who want to get 60+ kills while spending zero time in the objective do their own thing. They play their game and I spend most of my time in the objectives, inevitably getting blasted to pieces every few seconds, but it seems to work in terms of wins, plus I don't get matched with a well-organised team too often.

In previous CoDs I'd been concerned about my K/D to the point of not playing because I didn't want to end up losing badly. Like, I got to a level where I was happy with it and then I basically gave up on the game to avoid ruining my stats. As if anyone else actually looked at that stuff!

I think that's how the game should be played..

Some of the game mode actually require "sacrifice", otherwise there is no way to win.

havoc00

I really wish they would have just threw a few of the MW2 maps in rotation instead of just nuking the playlist. Reloaded drops in like a week or two I suppose?

clarky

Banned
I really wish they would have just threw a few of the MW2 maps in rotation instead of just nuking the playlist. Reloaded drops in like a week or two I suppose?
Yeah what happened to that? We had the playlist for a bit then nothing. Sticking them in the regular rotation would go down a treat IMO.

Calverz

Gold Member

Yes the obsession over KD is a waste of time imo. I never look at people’s KD.

Did anyone notice a placeholder for Infinite warfare (pc) showed up on xbox?:

twilo99

Did anyone notice a placeholder for Infinite warfare (pc) showed up on xbox?:

We should be getting some of the older ones soon I would think..

Hey there,
i have Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare®
How can i play Multiplayer or do i need Modern Warfare III for this?
modern warfare, cold war and vanguard are their own things, they aren't part of COD HQ.
So you can play their multiplayer modes just fine by booting up those games specifically.

MWII and MWIII are part of COD HQ, so you boot up that and then you select which game/mode you want to play.

I miss the times when CoD was primarily a single-player game and the multiplayer was just a novelty :messenger_pensive:
Now it is the other way around and the stories are over the top stupidity. I want a grounded campaign again, where you are just a soldier in a big war
You mean the first and second game then? Because the third game onward struck a good balance of both parts of the game.

Top Bottom