• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calverz

Feels like the weekly challenges aren't tracking correctly. Its taking me ages to get 20 double kills with the Holger but yet in game I'm getting double kills with it constantly.

Last edited:
Feels like the weekly challenges aren't tracking correctly. Its taking me ages to get 20 double kills with the Holger but yet in game I'm getting double kills with it constantly.
Thats the first one I did and had no problem getting it done. The one I'm having issue with is the Quickscope with the Glassless Optic, not tracking for me at all. Doesn't matter, already unlocked the weapon and leveled all the camos. Pretty decent gun.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wasn't tracking for me last night either. Only need that to unlock the new gun.
Thats the first one I did and had no problem getting it done. The one I'm having issue with is the Quickscope with the Glassless Optic, not tracking for me at all. Doesn't matter, already unlocked the weapon and leveled all the camos. Pretty decent gun.

I finally got it to work using Marksman rifle on hardcore

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Latest cronus update went out and instantly start running into guys headshooting people like crazy, no way these guys are legit

fKXslgO.jpg

Latest cronus update went out and instantly start running into guys headshooting people like crazy, no way these guys are legit

fKXslgO.jpg

I ran into some guys yesterday on Das Haus that had around 125 kills. Could be cheating or the team was stomping a weaker team with killstreaks, turrets, etc.. (It can add up pretty fast with some decent killstreaks). Hard to tell sometimes with the killcams being pretty sketchy. I have never reported anyone for cheating but I have blocked some players.

My personal best on Shipment has been 107, but I will usually score between 70-80 kills on the small map playlist with the occasional 90+. Even if I don't get the most kills I am usually on top because I play the objectives pretty aggressively while my team runs around getting kills. I don't let any of this bother me anymore because I just play for fun. This will probably be my last COD so I am squeezing as much fun out of it as I can.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I ran into some guys yesterday on Das Haus that had around 125 kills. Could be cheating or the team was stomping a weaker team with killstreaks, turrets, etc.. (It can add up pretty fast with some decent killstreaks). Hard to tell sometimes with the killcams being pretty sketchy. I have never reported anyone for cheating but I have blocked some players.

My personal best on Shipment has been 107, but I will usually score between 70-80 kills on the small map playlist with the occasional 90+. Even if I don't get the most kills I am usually on top because I play the objectives pretty aggressively while my team runs around getting kills. I don't let any of this bother me anymore because I just play for fun. This will probably be my last COD so I am squeezing as much fun out of it as I can.
I usually do well and broke about 50-50 in this game I posted going against this guy and we had a decent team as you can see the rest of his team didn't do great.

This guy was like a level 45 and running an SMG and would literally jump in the middle of 3 or 4 of us and the kill feed would show he headshot every one of us.

Since they just banned tons of accounts anyone doing that well and not even being sub level 50 just makes me think no way is he legit.

Ogbert

I'm not going to lie, some of the weapon packs are brilliant.

Just picked up the witch with spellcaster sniper.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I'm not going to lie, some of the weapon packs are brilliant.

Just picked up the witch with spellcaster sniper.
Callisto's the witch pack? It's honestly my favourite, she looks amazing and the guns have cool death effects too; the melee execution still hasn't been topped either.
Is that the Soulrender weapon? Seems like you can only get it through battle pass or via the store, which is a little close to pay-to-win (assuming it's genuinely the only thing that can counter riot shields - I usually avoid those guys).
No, it's free, it's in the classified sector of the battle pass, this is always free and you just have to complete the objectives.

Last edited:
Is that the Soulrender weapon? Seems like you can only get it through battle pass or via the store, which is a little close to pay-to-win (assuming it's genuinely the only thing that can counter riot shields - I usually avoid those guys).
It's free in the battle pass area but is not really connected with it. Just do the 5 sections and complete the challenges it ask to unlock it. It will make since when you highlight that sector, you don't need battle pass tokens. Its basically no different than the weekly challenges but put into the battle pass area. I remember the last on is 10 melee kills while crouched. Have fun with that.

I usually do well and broke about 50-50 in this game I posted going against this guy and we had a decent team as you can see the rest of his team didn't do great.

This guy was like a level 45 and running an SMG and would literally jump in the middle of 3 or 4 of us and the kill feed would show he headshot every one of us.

Since they just banned tons of accounts anyone doing that well and not even being sub level 50 just makes me think no way is he legit.

Yeah that sounds fishy, report and block and let Activision figure it out. Being level 45 could mean he was banned before and is ranking up a new account. You don't even get the basics stuff until level 55 then you need to unlock a ton of shit with the Armory Unlock. That tells me he basically had no killstreaks that were decent because those are unlocked later (after 55).

calistan

I'm really appreciating the matchmaking in this game. You'll have a streak of losses here and there, but every now and then you get a match where everything goes so perfectly well, it makes it seem like you're a top level player. And then, obviously, it brings you back down to earth.

My win/loss ratio in MW2 was 1.27, so I thought I knew how to beat the system in objective-based games. But in MW3, after the same number of matches, it's 1.03. I know I'm due a series of defeats to bring it back down to 1.

I don't play a huge amount, so I'm almost always the lowest ranked player in every game. I'd worry about that, if it wasn't for the fact that it's dealing me a fairly even number of good/bad hands. I've seen plenty of people complain about it, but the matchmaking really does seem to be doing its job.

I'm really appreciating the matchmaking in this game. You'll have a streak of losses here and there, but every now and then you get a match where everything goes so perfectly well, it makes it seem like you're a top level player. And then, obviously, it brings you back down to earth.

My win/loss ratio in MW2 was 1.27, so I thought I knew how to beat the system in objective-based games. But in MW3, after the same number of matches, it's 1.03. I know I'm due a series of defeats to bring it back down to 1.

I don't play a huge amount, so I'm almost always the lowest ranked player in every game. I'd worry about that, if it wasn't for the fact that it's dealing me a fairly even number of good/bad hands. I've seen plenty of people complain about it, but the matchmaking really does seem to be doing its job.
I'm okay with the matchmaking as well, but you basically described what people don't like is that the game always wants to make your win-loss & k/d ratio 1.0. Basically anytime you start creeping up the game throws harder lobbies to push you back down. You have to admit that is a form of manipulation.

Season 2.5 went live the other day at 9:00am my time and I wanted to check out the new Das Haus map since it was my favorite in Vanguard. Everybody in the game was jumping around like the floor was made of lava and trying to drop shot like there was a 100k purse on the line. I literally laughed out loud at how crazy it was that early in the morning on a Wednesday. I'm able to hold my own against these kind of lobbies but it's crazy what goes on in the back end with the matchmaking algorithm.

kevm3

They might as well just remove the riot shield, because at this point they are making it worthless and that's why you rarely see anyone with it. You can just use molotov, semtexes or drill charges, or just run/slide around the shield and take them out fairly easily. Not sure why you need another weapon for this. The shield requires 3 hits to take someone out and also switching to the shield is slow. Riot shields are pretty much there just to troll now or to cover your back at the expense of not having another primary weapon.

Meanwhile you can become extremely difficult to hit because you can run 100 mph with a submachine gun, and slide and dive across the screen at the speed of light. Your long range is also covered because you can have a sniper/marksman rifle that you can switch to. I guess they have to cater to the streamers though.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They might as well just remove the riot shield, because at this point they are making it worthless and that's why you rarely see anyone with it. You can just use molotov, semtexes or drill charges, or just run/slide around the shield and take them out fairly easily. Not sure why you need another weapon for this. The shield requires 3 hits to take someone out and also switching to the shield is slow. Riot shields are pretty much there just to troll now or to cover your back at the expense of not having another primary weapon.

Meanwhile you can become extremely difficult to hit because you can run 100 mph with a submachine gun, and slide and dive across the screen at the speed of light. Your long range is also covered because you can have a sniper/marksman rifle that you can switch to. I guess they have to cater to the streamers though.
I agree with where you went with the streamers as I usually have a stream of someone up while I do some stuff at the house just to listen to them

Several days ago Timthetatman did a video specifically about how he didn't like the riot shield and they needed more ways to counter it

calistan

I'm okay with the matchmaking as well, but you basically described what people don't like is that the game always wants to make your win-loss & k/d ratio 1.0. Basically anytime you start creeping up the game throws harder lobbies to push you back down. You have to admit that is a form of manipulation.
You're absolutely right. I'm not sure what the alternative is like, though. Back in the (pre-CoD) day you could pick a server where you knew you'd be a top player in your deathmatch game of choice.

Now there are millions of players, average players probably don't want to go into a game knowing they'll be stomped by hardcore gamers who refuse to take a step up in class.

This way you get an even amount of wins and losses, plus the chance to move up to a higher level of competition if your skills merit it.

twilo99

I’m guessing this trickles down to multiplayer as well but it won’t be as noticeable since the maps are so much smaller so things run better already

Calverz

Does anyone else get massive frame drops when you equip the riot shield? Is it the transparency of the glass or something?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
so the first wh40k bundle is up, and it seems the entire reason soulrender has a first person execution is for the chainsword lol; it changes the two slices into sawing into the enemy and having them explode.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
so the first wh40k bundle is up, and it seems the entire reason soulrender has a first person execution is for the chainsword lol; it changes the two slices into sawing into the enemy and having them explode.
Does it destroy shield users though?

I love pulling it out on those guys

twilo99

I think overall the game is in a good place right now..there are always things that can be better but it provides a solid CoD experience.

Also, they improved the MK input to where it’s now enjoyable to shoot the guns!

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Just back from holiday. What did I miss? Warhammer bundles out?? Any good??
the sword is cool, but the bundle is 3000cp, you can also only get the armour from the 8 killstreak; overall not worth it to me. I like the sister of battle armour, but the entire bundle doesn't seem worth the 2400cp.
I'm currently waiting on the kong bundle, just for the execution.

calistan

Lately I've been dropping out as soon as I get assigned a match that's already started, or is team deathmatch (I only really like objective modes, but I also have the small map moshpit selected so I can get as much Stash House as possible). Often takes many attempts to get into a game.

The result: the kindest matchmaking I've had in MW3 so far. Here's the best win/loss ratio I've been able to maintain on the last 10 matches list, but it's been pretty high for the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately I'd need another 7 consecutive wins to push that to a perfect 10.

IhQSKWr.jpg

Last edited:

Calverz

Ok, for some reason, my operators look censored on pc. Couple of the blackcell operators should look like skeletons as per battlepass, but in lobby they are covered up etc. However when I play on my Ally, they look like the skeletons! Is there a setting I need to change on pc or something?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Ok, for some reason, my operators look censored on pc. Couple of the blackcell operators should look like skeletons as per battlepass, but in lobby they are covered up etc. However when I play on my Ally, they look like the skeletons! Is there a setting I need to change on pc or something?
They aren't censored, read the descriptions for the skins, they are reactive.

Want to counter riot shields? Aim for the ground (if they are crouched) and let the damn bullets ricochet up their ass. Works like a charm. Somehow they glitch through the shield. :D
Otherwise just semtex them or aim at their feet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom