• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The campaign was okay..
Ending a bit lame..
i rate it a 7

Also lol buying a modern COD for campaign.

The dam level got butchered
The no russian mission
The werid open world shit..

All i need is zombies no joke..

Last edited:

Darkkahn

Call of Duty games might as well not get any reviews. A score makes little to no difference on the sale numbers.

Un fucking believable that they had the gall to sell such a shameless rip off/cash grab/ "campaign" devoid of any respect for their customers and for their own series! MW2019 was actually a great game so to see the following two entries devolve into this ...a 3.5 hour game with recycled warzone maps? I'm beside myself. Gaming in 2023 right here folks. They're not even trying anymore. Blatantly ripping off fans and no, HELL NO, I will not be buying this.

These games used to be fun and worthwhile 8-10 hour "blockbuster" experiences. How did we even get here?
You know, people complain every year and buy it anyway, I was usually one of them for primarily the campaign. After Cold War I vowed that I'd but a CoD for full price, if at all. So I asked for MW2 for my birthday. But MW2 2022's campaign, though having more effort than this horse shit, sucked my ass.

So now, I'm officially done with this franchise, which sucks because the campaigns are usually pretty sick. So happy to not be buying this one.

Like, even Vanguard's abhorrently ahistorical campaign makes this on in MW3 looks like a sick fat fucking joke.

I really never thought they'd stoop this low. They'll have to really wow me with a campaign to get my money again.

I'll be on Insurgency, a game actually about modern warfare.

RyanEvans21

The campaign was okay..
Ending a bit lame..
i rate it a 7

Also lol buying a modern COD for campaign.

The dam level got butchered
The no russian mission
The werid open world shit..

All i need is zombies no joke..

This is not Treyarch Zombies though. Plus it's Open World Zombies...

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I am pretty sure the campaigns have always been reviewed and yeah those numbers should be fed into MC for the full game as its part of the full game.

This stuff wasn't much of an issue when the campaigns were actually decent

As long as they produce a campaign and still charge full price they 100% deserve getting destroyed for efforts like this imo

Battlefront and Battlefield 2042 were sold at full price, and were only reviewed based on their multiplayer mode. There are players who enjoy Battlefield games for their single-player content. So, should these games have received zero points?

In my opinion, games like these should be reviewed separately for singleplayer and multiplayer.

RyanEvans21

Battlefront and Battlefield 2042 were sold at full price, and were only reviewed based on their multiplayer mode. There are players who enjoy Battlefield games for their single-player content. So, should these games have received zero points?

In my opinion, games like these should be reviewed separately for singleplayer and multiplayer.

Battlefield 2042 don't have campaign mission

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Except 2042 didn't have a campaign

Jesus, they spent more time on those camos than they did the campaign.
The know their money is in the MP

Kerotan

So obviously in terms of revenue this year a mw3 cashgrab is more lucrative then a MW2 expansion for €50 like was originally planned.

But long term will this be less profitable? This will now be judged as a standalone mainline cod. It has average zombies by black ops standards, the worst campaign ever and multiplayer is a weak effort as it's just mw2 remastered maps.

There's going to be a big drop off in players over the next 12 months. Bringing back rebirth and fortunes keep will help on the Warzone side. 12 months from now they'll probably bring back verdansk along with a new black ops game so that will be huge.

But this current cash grab has tarnished the modern warfare brand after they so successfully revived it with Warzone and MW2019. In 2025 naturally they will release MW4 but it's going to be tarnished after this shit show.

So obviously in terms of revenue this year a mw3 cashgrab is more lucrative then a MW2 expansion for €50 like was originally planned.

But long term will this be less profitable? This will now be judged as a standalone mainline cod. It has average zombies by black ops standards, the worst campaign ever and multiplayer is a weak effort as it's just mw2 remastered maps.

There's going to be a big drop off in players over the next 12 months. Bringing back rebirth and fortunes keep will help on the Warzone side. 12 months from now they'll probably bring back verdansk along with a new black ops game so that will be huge.

But this current cash grab has tarnished the modern warfare brand after they so successfully revived it with Warzone and MW2019. In 2025 naturally they will release MW4 but it's going to be tarnished after this shit show.
It really shows how poor of a creative state these dev studios are in. They struggle to even make WW2 interesting, debatably the most interesting war to the general public.

And now they can't even make a proper game about modern warfare? What a fucking disgrace.

Am I the only one that thinks if CoD actually went back to it's roots and tried to emulate immersive combat scenarios from real wars they would borderline sell out of copies?

Kerotan

It really shows how poor of a creative state these dev studios are in. They struggle to even make WW2 interesting, debatably the most interesting war to the general public.

And now they can't even make a proper game about modern warfare? What a fucking disgrace.

Am I the only one that thinks if CoD actually went back to it's roots and tried to emulate immersive combat scenarios from real wars they would borderline sell out of copies?
Cod4 remastered servers have been busy on ps5 lately. Just shows you people want cod just not a shit show.

This is not Treyarch Zombies though. Plus it's Open World Zombies...
Treyarch is the ones doing Zombies this year. At COD Next they took some of the content creators to Treyarch studios to play it and also was the studio who spoke about it during the event. The whole Open-Word-Extraction bit is new so we will see how it is received. I hate zombies but like extraction shooters so I am willing to try it but I honestly think I will get bored with it after 2 weeks.

In 2025 naturally they will release MW4 but it's going to be tarnished after this shit show.
The rumor is we will get 2 years of Black Ops (2024 & 2025) just like they did with MW2 and 3 being back to back. So 2026 for MW4 if this holds true? Maybe by then people will forget how bad MW3 SP campaign was. Which is too bad because I like the MW character's of Price, Ghost, Soap, Farah, etc.

Cod4 remastered servers have been busy on ps5 lately. Just shows you people want cod just not a shit show.
Yea, exactly. I want CoD. Why is it so hard to make a military themed game these days. And the people that give me, "They have to add pink and purple because of the skins for people to buy." Save it please.

They could just as easily give me 100 different military themed helmets with actual camo that exists that isn't blue and red.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yea, exactly. I want CoD. Why is it so hard to make a military themed game these days. And the people that give me, "They have to add pink and purple because of the skins for people to buy." Save it please.

They could just as easily give me 100 different military themed helmets with actual camo that exists that isn't blue and red.
A stodgy realistic military theme only gets you so far. The mass market casual flair of personalization is what gamers want. And that customization is big money mtx where Bertha can pay $5 for a blue ponytail and Rick can pay $10 for red underwear.

100 different military helmets is too samey and boring. Its a social world. People got to tell the whole world who they are and what they represent..... even if it's in a video game. lol

Valt7786

A stodgy realistic military theme only gets you so far. The mass market casual flair of personalization is what gamers want. And that customization is big money mtx where Bertha can pay $5 for a blue ponytail and Rick can pay $10 for red underwear.

100 different military helmets is too samey and boring. Its a social world. People got to tell the whole world who they are and what they represent..... even if it's in a video game. lol
Then those people can fuck off back to Fortnite.

So, looks like Zombies and the campaign are really the worst iterations there have ever been in COD.
The MP really needs to be a home run.

thatJohann

What a disaster COD has become. I used to look forward to the SP campaigns back in the Xbox 360 days. Now I stay far away.

We need a good single player FPS similar to Titanfall 2 or Half Life 2 where SP campaigns are awesome. I miss them. Maybe we finally get Half Life 3 on PS6.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What a disaster COD has become. I used to look forward to the SP campaigns back in the Xbox 360 days. Now I stay far away.

We need a good single player FPS similar to Titanfall 2 or Half Life 2 where SP campaigns are awesome. I miss them.

Cod Infinite Warfare came out like 1 week after Titanfall 2 lol it has an awesome campaign. You can start there.

Osthyvel

Saw a couple videos, looked like everything I wouldn't want from Zombies.
Why can't they just do it like BO1/2 with better graphics and shit...

I hear you, feel the same, but i want to see more, and try it myself before i shit on it, i really hope they didnt ruin this gamemode...

Last edited:
It is? I though its open world zombies again like last time.
...Like last time?...Vanguard?
Vanguard didn't have open world zombies, it has two objective based maps, and I think one round based map.
Cold War is the one that had "open world" zombies with the outbreak mode, and Cold War is the best zombies game.
What do you know about zombies that i dont know?
He doesn't know anything, he's just one of those that only care about the old confusing character based zombies; MWIII zombies so far looks nearly identical to CW zombies, which the old zombies players hate because it's not as tryhard and obscure and "muh main characters".

What we do know is that MWIII zombies is straight up a continuation of the dark aether zombies from CW and that weaver and the rest of requiem are dead (probably after the events of treyarch's own COD 2024 next year), but ravenov is back and maxis is probably still alive as well.
The dark aether enemies are back and so are the pack a punch and the perk machine, the mystery box, field upgrades and secrets and easter eggs, and there might even be a main quest.
The only thing that seems could be annoying is the time limit, but we'll see.

Cold War is the best zombies game.
Friends No GIF by Max

Osthyvel

...Like last time?...Vanguard?
Vanguard didn't have open world zombies, it has two objective based maps, and I think one round based map.
Cold War is the one that had "open world" zombies with the outbreak mode, and Cold War is the best zombies game.

He doesn't know anything, he's just one of those that only care about the old confusing character based zombies; MWIII zombies so far looks nearly identical to CW zombies, which the old zombies players hate because it's not as tryhard and obscure and "muh main characters".

What we do know is that MWIII zombies is straight up a continuation of the dark aether zombies from CW and that weaver and the rest of requiem are dead (probably after the events of treyarch's own COD 2024 next year), but ravenov is back and maxis is probably still alive as well.
The dark aether enemies are back and so are the pack a punch and the perk machine, the mystery box, field upgrades and secrets and easter eggs, and there might even be a main quest.
The only thing that seems could be annoying is the time limit, but we'll see.

🙌 Yeah i am really! looking forward to see and play this, this might be really good... (or not) but i hope it will be.

Thread updated with MetaCritic scores.

53/100. Big Oof
Deserved, it's a shit single player campaign that couldn't have been more lazily stitched together.

I'm not sure Sledgehammer are totally to blame here, I at least enjoyed WW2 campaign to some extent. This though is just dog shit. I seriously hope the multiplayer and Zombies mode is at least good.

There are some odd story decisions that prove it was DLC. It doesn’t wrap anything up.

I hope they take a year or two off. We probably won’t hear anything from Activision even if this game keeps reviewing poorly.

Just finished the campaign and to be honest, on hardened and messing around on some levels it wasn’t really any shorter than a normal modern warfare campaign.

I actually found that it took a bit to get into its stride. Especially with the spec ops/ DMZ style levels and missions. But once it got going, I really found myself liking it and the potential to play so many levels in more than just kill everything or stealth mode. No painful vehicle levels and very limited ‘make your own weapons out of stuff’ which really didn’t work well for me in the campaign. In mw2

It did turn out like I thought and unless something dramatic happens. There will be a mw4

Not the greatest, but far from the travesty they are saying. And if you completed the game in 3-4 hours. Where you sprinting through ? Or playing on rookie mode ?

Roll on the full release. Although I am team DMZ now, so have that in mw2 to fall back on 👍 and probably robocop for the nostalgia blasting 😁

Just my two cents 😎

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Just finished the campaign and to be honest, on hardened and messing around on some levels it wasn’t really any shorter than a normal modern warfare campaign.

I actually found that it took a bit to get into its stride. Especially with the spec ops/ DMZ style levels and missions. But once it got going, I really found myself liking it and the potential to play so many levels in more than just kill everything or stealth mode. No painful vehicle levels and very limited ‘make your own weapons out of stuff’ which really didn’t work well for me in the campaign. In mw2

It did turn out like I thought and unless something dramatic happens. There will be a mw4

Not the greatest, but far from the travesty they are saying. And if you completed the game in 3-4 hours. Where you sprinting through ? Or playing on rookie mode ?

Roll on the full release. Although I am team DMZ now, so have that in mw2 to fall back on 👍 and probably robocop for the nostalgia blasting 😁

Just my two cents 😎
I don’t play rookie mode. That sounds far too easy. I could easily get to the objective. The parachute missions, you could just get right next to one of them, camp the area, and that was it. I could destroy one of the objectives from a doorway.

I’m dealing with an apologist here. Lol hi! :)

It was far too easy of a campaign. If you throw down a turret, it would keep wiping that side of the map out. I felt like all you had to do was wait for enemies to spawn. If you had thermals, all you needed to do was wait for them. It wasn’t long at all. The open maps were way too easy. If you’re use to running around a MP map. It wasn’t hard to get your stride with a scope. I thought the plot was stupid. Those stealth missions were boring. It was like walking in a zig zag line.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Just my two cents 😎
I played on hardened and completed the campaign in 3 1/2 hours though will admit I did not explore the open world missions and collect everything

Speaking of those open world missions I agree with some others have said it just felt like a MP lobby with bots

I may go back and start trophy hunting on a much higher difficulty level but like I said in my "review" the campaign overall was boring, uninspired, dull and just safe

I gave it a 4 for myself and currently sitting at a 53 is generous

I just wonder where the score would be if removed those scores from people who get invited to the sponsored COD events like COD Next

It's not too samey and boring though. I will completely argue against that.

Insurgency Sandstorm does just fine with the way they do buyable cosmetics.

And saying that military theme only gets you so far is so confusing? Where were you when Call of Duty rose to fame?

CoD: 1, 2, 3 and World at War? All WWII games that continued to grow in popularity as they displayed more realistic graphics.

And CoD 4? Are you kidding me? One of the highest selling games of all time? It's just a full blown Iraq War rip off. People still talk about it to this day. That's why MW 2019 did so well. Until they blew it with characters and camo.

It just shows that these devs are really not creative. And there are so many sick women in real militaries around the world so representation isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom