• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Callisto Protocol will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 60-70%

• 70-80%

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 90-95%

• 95-100%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Umbral

You didnt have one in Dead Space 2 or 3
I wasn’t talking about those two. Dead Space 3 killed the series because they strayed so far from what it was.
Neither are going to have one in Dead Space remake
Motive has made some mistakes.
Isaac being mute during the first game was easily the most flawed design aspect of that game. So much so that they are correcting this now.
What would we do without Isaac saying the same stuff we’re saying while playing?
“Oh shit”
“Ugh, damn it.”
“Get off me!”

Silent protagonist was intentional and not Motive’s place to “correct.” I don’t need a blabbering protagonist in my survival horror games. Gunner was fine in Dead Space 2 and 3, but it was unnecessary. I don’t understand why people need cutscenes and constant rambling from their main characters. Go watch a Marvel movie.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
You didnt have one in Dead Space 2 or 3

Neither are going to have one in Dead Space remake

Isaac being mute during the first game was easily the most flawed design aspect of that game. So much so that they are correcting this now.

Days Gone development started in 2013. 6 years of production. So it ended up costing way more than you may think

And yeah, Callisto is a failure in sales. I'm sad as fuck, because tho I havent completed it yet, I'm loving it so much.

Krafton's stock droped 8% or somethign after reviews were released.

No way we will get a sequel. Shame.
I dont understand how you can 'love it so much'

When the game has three recycled enemies and 25 of the same encounters.

Hugare

I dont understand how you can 'love it so much'

When the game has three recycled enemies and 25 of the same encounters.
As if Dead Space had so much enemy and encounter variety

Seriously, you guys should go back and replay the series. Especially the first game.

Complaining about this game while putting Dead Space on a pedestal is getting really ridiculous.

I'm completely satisfied with the variety of enemies I'm facing right now. Plus mutations, to spice things up.

Going melee is still fun and satisfying

If you cant understand why I'm having so much fun, well, your loss

MMaRsu

Banned
As if Dead Space had so much enemy and encounter variety

Seriously, you guys should go back and replay the series. Especially the first game.

Complaining about this game while putting Dead Space on a pedestal is getting really ridiculous.

I'm completely satisfied with the variety of enemies I'm facing right now. Plus mutations, to spice things up.

Going melee is still fun and satisfying

If you cant understand why I'm having so much fun, well, your loss
Im not comparing it to Dead Space. Im just saying the game doesnt have more than three enemy types and thats just ridiculous and sad.

Fine if you wanna endlessly bash in the skulls of the same creatures you fight over and over, shit got real repetitive soon.

What mutations? They have some extra tentacles coming out of them? Real clever enemy design lmao. We havent seen that before.

Last edited:

Hugare

Im not comparing it to Dead Space. Im just saying the game doesnt have more than three enemy types and thats just ridiculous and sad.

Fine if you wanna endlessly bash in the skulls of the same creatures you fight over and over, shit got real repetitive soon.
I mentioned Dead Space for obvious reasons.

It's considered as the golden standard for this genre, despite having many of Callisto's flaws.

But you wanna bet that both players and reviewers wont be as critical for the Dead Space remake?

"Fine if you wanna endlessly bash in the skulls of the same creatures you fight over and over, shit got real repetitive soon."

Watch everyone endlessly shoot limbs of the same creatures you fight over and over again in Dead Space remake one month from now

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What are you doing? You're all over the place, one minute you're attempting to bring ridiculous conspiracy shit surrounding the optimisation of the game, next minute you're trying to push scorn (which is actually nothing like this game).

You have a 4090, the PC version is largely fixed already (failing that you supossedly have a PS5 no?). If you're actually interested in it just buy it on Steam (so you still have the option to refund it if you need to) and play the damn thing instead of moping about all of the threads for this game like a wounded puppy.

I'm just flip flopping on getting it as so many mixed reviews.

Is the pc version totally fixed now?

Looks like the xbox version is almost completely fixed too so that winning comparison you posted lasted about a week :D

GHG

Looks like the xbox version is almost completely fixed too so that winning comparison you posted lasted about a week :D

What's there to flip flop about? If you're interested in playing it enough get it on steam, you have 2 hours to try it out and see how it runs on your system. Even if you want to keep it but don't want to play full price you can still get the refund within the time limit and then grab a key from a 3rd party site.

You have all 3 platforms available to you in order to play this game, why not just pick one of the 2 current options that perform better instead of crying about the one that's not up to scratch?

MMaRsu

Banned
I mentioned Dead Space for obvious reasons.

It's considered as the golden standard for this genre, despite having many of Callisto's flaws.

But you wanna bet that both players and reviewers wont be as critical for the Dead Space remake?

"Fine if you wanna endlessly bash in the skulls of the same creatures you fight over and over, shit got real repetitive soon."

Watch everyone endlessly shoot limbs of the same creatures you fight over and over again in Dead Space remake one month from now
Shooting their limbs off is in fact way more of an interesting mechanic than just bashing the melee button

Hugare

Shooting their limbs off is in fact way more of an interesting mechanic than just bashing the melee button
It's pointing at one of 4 possible limbs and pressing a button. Requires 1 button press + aiming.

In CP, you don't know how many strikes the enemy is going for, so you have to pay atention and dodge all of them, then do a combo, then quickshot if you have ammo. And if some other enemy is mutating, you have to turn your focus to them so you can eliminate them quickly before they turn, specificaly shooting at the tentacles.

You also have environmental hazards that you can use to you advantage. Levitate an enemy and throw them at spikes. Or use your strong attack to launch them there if you dont have stasis at your disposal.

I find myself thinking way more about the possibilites to attack an enemy in CP than I was when playing DS

To me, it's deeper than DS. So let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What's there to flip flop about? If you're interested in playing it enough get it on steam, you have 2 hours to try it out and see how it runs on your system. Even if you want to keep it but don't want to play full price you can still get the refund within the time limit and then grab a key from a 3rd party site.

You have all 3 platforms available to you in order to play this game, why not just pick one of the 2 current options that perform better instead of crying about the one that's not up to scratch?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm gonna see where tommib tommib lands on it once completed...I don't think they posted thoughts on it yet?

Plus I'm still playing through god of war so I'm not in a rush.

Last edited:

TonyK

A few more hours in and enjoying it even more. At this moment is an 8 for me, when at the beginning it was a 5 or 6. I'm surprised because I was truly disappointed at the beginning and I hated the melee combat and the dodge system, but progressively I discovered mysel enjoying the game more and more. Now I like the exploration, the combat, the pacing... Some parts even bring some sort of Dark souls feelings.

Some positive things that I was not expecting in a today AAA game:
- Very few cinematics. This is not a The Order or other narrative Sony game (games I love, it's not a criticism).
- Your character is silent almost all the time. Also, very few radio calls from NPCs when exploring.
- Incredible few moments following a NPC. That's something that immediately kill the tension for me, as the guide character acts as a moving spoiler.

In resume: 95% of the time you are alone and silent. Thanks God!

tommib

Some positive things that I was not expecting in a today AAA game:
- Very few cinematics. This is not a The Order or other narrative Sony game (games I love, it's not a criticism).
- Your character is silent almost all the time. Also, very few radio calls from NPCs when exploring.
- Incredible few moments following a NPC. That's something that immediately kill the tension for me, as the guide character acts as a moving spoiler.

In resume: 95% of the time you are alone and silent. Thanks God!
Yes, all of this. When the game came out, the “cinematic” pejorative started to be thrown around because the game has a fucking intro. It’s gameplay focused and the few cinematics are all short. Coming out of Ragnarok and its constant desire to take control away from you for some lore mumbo-jumbo, it was completely liberating. No constant dialog, no hints from your companion on how to shoot an enemy, just isolation from most of the game. I now feel how I’m completely done with the Sony AAA cinematic traits and how this feels like a cure.

The whole thing is just very old-school. No RPG elements, punishing checkpoints, no maps, no painted platforms that tell you where to climb, no way marks, no stupid bloat quests, no fast turning, slow and heavy protagonist… It’s more Resident Evil than Village. It’s an old-school design and horror visual treat with a non-annoying main character. So fucking rare.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's pointing at one of 4 possible limbs and pressing a button. Requires 1 button press + aiming.

In CP, you don't know how many strikes the enemy is going for, so you have to pay atention and dodge all of them, then do a combo, then quickshot if you have ammo. And if some other enemy is mutating, you have to turn your focus to them so you can eliminate them quickly before they turn, specificaly shooting at the tentacles.

You also have environmental hazards that you can use to you advantage. Levitate an enemy and throw them at spikes. Or use your strong attack to launch them there if you dont have stasis at your disposal.

I find myself thinking way more about the possibilites to attack an enemy in CP than I was when playing DS

To me, it's deeper than DS. So let's agree to disagree.
The melee system is as deep as a puddle and virtually impossible to miss because he doesn't even require timing or spacial awareness, when you fight against 1 enemy you can literally stay close to a wall and still dodging towards the wall with zero space available and still doing a perfect evade, you can even start pressing the direction of the evade 30 min before the attack...

You don't know how many attack the enemy is gonna do? Cmon dude, you can just wait between slashes because you don't have to be super fast when they end their combo, you can just wait and then they pause and wait for your attack, you are not talking about some fast paced combat system here, the bosses are painfully shitty because of all of this, you don't even have to guess the direction of the attack or if they do feints, you just evade in one direction and them the other direction etc., It's a braindead combat system that only becomes hard because it is not suited for multiple enemies and you have to use the grabby thing to push away the others.

Even the shooting is brainless because you jist end you melee combo and use the aim-swap to hit them for critical damage, at the very best you have to shoot 1-2 bullets in their stomach to block the mutation, and even the mutation doesn't change how the combat work, they just do more slashes that you avoid with zero problems and take more damage from them, onestly, hardly something more difficult or that require more skill than aiming limbs and weak spots on stuff that moves and jerks.

All the enemies, boss and miniboss feel the same to fight, the only 2 exception are the chameleon one that is ripped off from ds2\hunters from tlou\the order werewolves and the wannabe clicker that pose no threat whatsoever because they forgot to betatest his ass.

At least on ds you have the thing with the ranged attack that require you to cut his 3 tentacles, you have the thing that possess bodies, even the necromorph have different speeds between them, i could not tell you 3 differences between the final boss and a normal enemy in callisto to save my life, at least dead space has a big ass setpiece monster to fight.

The fact that a modern game with big budget has the same number of enemies than the first dead space is not the gatcha moment someone would think, especially when mobs and bosses feel so samey.

The only good thing about the combat is the weight and gore.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes, all of this. When the game came out, the “cinematic” pejorative started to be thrown around because the game has a fucking intro. It’s gameplay focused and the few cinematics are all short. Coming out of Ragnarok and its constant desire to take control away from you for some lore mumbo-jumbo, it was completely liberating. No constant dialog, no hints from your companion on how to shoot an enemy, just isolation from most of the game. I now feel how I’m completely done with the Sony AAA cinematic traits and how this feels like a cure.

The whole thing is just very old-school. No RPG elements, punishing checkpoints, no maps, no painted platforms that tell you where to climb, no way marks, no stupid bloat quests, no fast turning, slow and heavy protagonist… It’s more Resident Evil than Village. It’s an old-school design and horror visual treat with a non-annoying main character. So fucking rare.
I'll definitely pick it up eventually. Sounds fun.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

I tried the game on PC on night of release. Totally broken. Tried next day after the patch, totally fine IMO. On a 3080 maxed out but w/o Ray Tracing I get 60-120fps most of the time.

I do notice some stutter, particularly when entering a new area or when holograms pop up, but those don't occur in combat. Its nowhere NEAR day of release when it was stuttering for up to a second every few seconds

SLB1904

Banned
Just look at jim sterling review 3/10. Pathetic mockery? Thats a strong hate. Also how he mentions the crunch tweet again, feels like something personal grudges. I bet these ppl never worked hard in life not they can.

hockey-only.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Just look at jim sterling review 3/10. Pathetic mockery? Thats a strong hate. Also how he mentions the crunch tweet again, feels like something personal grudges. I bet these ppl never worked hard in life not they can.

Yeah this sounds personal. He probably couldn't even play the game for what it is, too busy hating the developer's thoughts on crunch...

Last edited:

Hugare

Imagine getting this angry over a videogame

Sterling is despicable. Always have been.

I remember maybe even years ago, they saying that it would no longer be so hateful.

Pff, yeah right. Havent seen their stuff for a long time, but seems like good old Jim is the same.

Of course they wouldnt act like a human been and give a respectful, thoughtful review. They have to keep their schtick of being an asshole so they can keep paying their bills.

Pretends to care about devs bring crunched, then completely rips the whole game apart, saying it was a "shameless ripoff" and etc.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I bet a lot of developers couldn't make it past this boss I just beat, he can kill you with 1 hit from just his regular attack

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pretends to care about devs bring crunched, then completely rips the whole game apart, saying it was a "shameless ripoff" and etc.
Can't be a "shameless ripoff" when you're the creator of the original. That's not how it works in any other medium such as music, so why should it apply here?

Neff

I can say with 95% certainty that Days Gone budget was significantly lower

I highly, highly doubt that.

back in the day 90% of people playing DS was cause gameplay and gore, almost no one gave a shit about the story, what is happening ?

I'm fully on team Callisto but there's no doubt that it falls very short in terms of dangling the narrative carrot compared to the way Dead Space's story unfolded.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Having played the first two hours now, I fully agree with that Metacritic score. It's the new GOAT in terms of presentation and atmosphere, let down by a dogshit combat and checkpoint system. Real shame.

the combat is good, actually great and very satisfying when you get the grip of it, it is VERY different from DS cause this is melee focused, if you expected to shoot your way out I understand why some people are having a hard time.

I just did a 6v1 fight and it is so fucking good throwing some to hazards and immediately dodging, attacking with baton and hand cannon, and dodging again the incoming attacks from other enemies then fucking them up.

I commend them for creating a combat system that is different, fun and satisfying to pull off. Is it perfect? no, no combat system is, it can be improved but they have a great core there.

Ozriel

M$FT
This is actually a very bad result for them.
As an example - Days Gone, starts in 1sy in UK and it was "Days Gone is the biggest physical sales launch of the year so far in the UK"
And we all know perfectly well that in the end the game failed financially and therefore the sequel was canceled. And I can say with 95% certainty that Days Gone budget was significantly lower.

Starting from 6th place, and even on New Year's Eve, is a very bad sign, it seems to me. They need very good sales to pay for this game, I don’t even stutter about the second part.

Have you seen the games ahead of Callisto Protocol? 6th is very respectable, considering everything. Outselling Gotham Knights, even.

Makes no sense to compare against Days Gone, a well promoted Sony first party game

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Can't be a "shameless ripoff" when you're the creator of the original. That's not how it works in any other medium such as music, so why should it apply here?
The difference is, music can be written and performed by a single individual. AAA Games and Movies take hundreds of people working on it, everyone of these people being creative and adding their piece to the puzzle.

The guy didn't make the game alone, CP shows that he cant with a lesser group of people either.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The difference is, music can be written and performed by a single individual. AAA Games and Movies take hundreds of people working on it, everyone of these people being creative and adding their piece to the puzzle.

The guy didn't make the game alone, CP shows that he cant with a lesser group of people either.
It's the same with film. Nobody says this is a rip off of your previous work. And they have just as much production.

TCP is a good game being enjoyed by actual gamers, not complainers.

Last edited:

Mayar

Neo Member
Meanwhile Krafton stock price continues to fall, apparently investors are very "satisfied" with the current situation.
The fall and the red zone has been going on for 6 days in a row, and so far there is not even a hint of some kind of rebound.

Mayar

Neo Member
Everyone writes about open world games, can someone tell me what kind of open world Horror game has been released lately? Maybe I missed something.
If we are talking about Dying Light 2, which can be written into this genre with a huge stretch. But things are not so bad for Dying Light 2: Initial The Callisto Protocol Sales in the UK Lower than Dying Light 2

There are very few such games in this genre, and if there are instances with an "open world", then it is usually done smartly, for example, like a police station in Resident Evil or a Village, which is essentially a Hub in the last Resident Evil.

Spaceman292

Banned
I wasn’t talking about those two. Dead Space 3 killed the series because they strayed so far from what it was.

Motive has made some mistakes.

What would we do without Isaac saying the same stuff we’re saying while playing?
“Oh shit”
“Ugh, damn it.”
“Get off me!”

Silent protagonist was intentional and not Motive’s place to “correct.” I don’t need a blabbering protagonist in my survival horror games. Gunner was fine in Dead Space 2 and 3, but it was unnecessary. I don’t understand why people need cutscenes and constant rambling from their main characters. Go watch a Marvel movie.
So anything in which the main character speaks is a Marvel movie? What are you talking about?

Hobbygaming

the combat is good, actually great and very satisfying when you get the grip of it, it is VERY different from DS cause this is melee focused, if you expected to shoot your way out I understand why some people are having a hard time.

I just did a 6v1 fight and it is so fucking good throwing some to hazards and immediately dodging, attacking with baton and hand cannon, and dodging again the incoming attacks from other enemies then fucking them up.

I commend them for creating a combat system that is different, fun and satisfying to pull off. Is it perfect? no, no combat system is, it can be improved but they have a great core there.
I agree 100% the combat is so satisfying that I love every skirmish

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Another thing I've noticed is in stealth areas they give you more than the usual amount of enemies. I've seen some people try to take on all of the enemies at once in these areas, which obviously isn't smart

Hugare

serious question: how much time do people up here spend talking to themselves when alone?...
Isaac wasnt alone for a good chunk of the game, tho

People talking to him over video while he just stand there may have been ok for 2008, but would be jarring for 2022

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man the more I play the more annoyed aI am.
The combat is really terrible and just annoying. Even shooting is very general. You just shoot and barely target.
You don’t get enough time to target tentacles and you can’t hit them with baton at all. It never works for me.

They teach you about blocking but I cannot seem to make it works. They teach you about weapons quick swap but I cannot seem to know how to do it.

The glove is super weird and sometimes drop enemies and sometimes throw them but very close or some longer distance. You can’t rely on it.

And the scares are annoying. There is just loud. Poses generator running all the time and you can hear it randomising scary noises. Cmon.

Last edited:

Umbral

So anything in which the main character speaks is a Marvel movie? What are you talking about?
Blabbering. It’s two sentences prior. Marvel characters always have to comment on shit. They can never let a moment be and breathe. I actually tried to turn the dialogue off in Callisto but it turns off the creature sounds too.

How much does it really add to have a voice actor come in and say things like:

“Oh shit!”
”Stinks.”
”I hate this fucking place.”
”Get off me!”
“What was that?”
”What the…?”

ROI on that just isn’t enough. You never heard James Sunderland blabbering while walking around Silent Hill. ”What was that in the fog?” I fucking know, James. I saw it myself. I don’t need your commentary on it.
Isaac wasnt alone for a good chunk of the game, tho

People talking to him over video while he just stand there may have been ok for 2008, but would be jarring for 2022
I disagree. If your goal is to mentally put the player inside the character, it’s preferable. If your goal is to ape movies, then talk up a storm.

Jacob should have had his helmet on the whole game and I should have only heard screams and grunts from him. They could have saved a lot of money spent on Duhamel and the others and spent that money on other gameplay related things.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Another thing I've noticed is in stealth areas they give you more than the usual amount of enemies. I've seen some people try to take on all of the enemies at once in these areas, which obviously isn't smart
If you are talking about the area with the wannabe clickers all grouped togethers, you can stealth among them without a worry in the world because they can't see you for shit, it is the safest mode to just kill them with stealth because they can't detect you even if you basically kill their friends 5 cm away from them.
That area is basically 2 hours of filling your inventory with resources without wasting a bullet.

They forgot to betatest these mofos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom