• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Bethesda just revoke my access like that?

Caayn

Update:

Gamesdeal just gave me a full refund, so I got my money back, which I'm happy about.
That said I still stand by what I said earlier that I don't like how Bethesda is handling this, I do understand why they're doing it. The least they could do is offer keys at a discount to the people who got caught up in this. But then again that's my opinion and I'm sure that plenty of people will think otherwise.

Thanks for all the responses!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Update:

Gamesdeal just gave me a full refund, so I got my money back, which I'm happy about.
That said I still stand by what I said earlier that I don't like how Bethesda is handling this, I do understand why they're doing it. The least they could do is offer keys at a discount to the people who got caught up in this. But then again that's my opinion and I'm sure that plenty of people will think otherwise.

Thanks for all the responses!

Really, it's on gamesdeal. Bethesda did enough by not throwing a blanket permaban on all fraudolent keys, as Blizzard used to do.

Wonder why the Bethesdas and Ubisofts don't go after the sites selling these shady keys as opposed to people who may or may not be aware of the situation with these sites, especially when a lot of these sites are being advertised by Twitch streamers/gaming media sites.

Jurisdiction, most likely. There's no gurantee these sites are based in or hosted in the same country they operate in.

Oogedei

People want capitalism which basically means competition. But them again they blame people for buying keys on some reseller sites. This is just a product of capitalism and it shouldn't go against the consumer, when he plays by the rules of the system. Maybe the companies should work on a better system to prevent such things. Or just sell them through PayPal to the resellers without the option of CC payment, if CC fraud is that big.

The amount of people blaming the customers and comparing him to criminals here is insane. But I guess capitalism makes sheeps with a lack of empathy out of us. Just go on about the mean criminal customer, who is very likely short on money and therefore has to look for some cheeper keys to play the games of the company, which earns millions with it. I mean nobody says that Bethesda has to give him the game for free, but they could have given him a discount or some other little things. I'm worried about how the people here are so concerned with some little inconveniences for a big company, but not even caring a little about that dude, who is apparently not a rich one and who did not intentionally bought stolen keys.

madjoki

People want capitalism which basically means competition. But them again they blame people for buying keys on some reseller sites. This is just a product of capitalism and it shouldn't go against the consumer, when he plays by the rules of the system. Maybe the companies should work on a better system to prevent such things. Or just sell them through PayPal to the resellers without the option of CC payment, if CC fraud is that big.

Not allowing CC prevents most legal purchases. Paypal allows chargebacks even from balance and paypal accounts can be phished like credit cards so that solves nothing.
It's not like they know if it's reseller or some random customer trying to scam free copy by claiming it's fraudulent transaction.

Also buying stolen stuff isn't exactly playing by rules of system and can be illegal even if you don't know it's stolen. (Depends on local laws)

Eventually If they let those resellers use stolen cards, they could as well give product free and save on chargeback fees.

Jurisdiction, most likely. There's no gurantee these sites are based in or hosted in the same country they operate in.

Also they'd need actual proofs of who is doing it. Tracking movement digital codes isn't possible. They only see user x activated code which was reported stolen.

Top Bottom