• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can The 3DS and Switch Coexist Together?

Future

I hope not. I have a 3ds, but it already stings when I hear new game announcements for it now. I want all these games for the switch

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Yes. I fell like the Switch is far too easy to damage for kids to lug about in school bags, especially without the clam shell design. I might just be thinking like a parent but with 5 kids this idea frightens me that the Switch could be the new 3DS.

MY GOD!

Futureman

Unless the Switch is a massive bomb (doesn't seem to be), I think the 3DS has 12 months (18 max) before Nintendo pulls all support. I'm guessing Holiday '18 would be the latest they will release anything.

Neither can live while the other survives

How so?

3DS: Smaller, cheaper games that are designed specifically to be 100% portable. Budget console for kids or people who don't want to spend the money on the Switch.

Switch: Large, console like experiences that just happen to be portable. Expensive console, expensive games, and overall is a heavier experience.

wazoo

Unless the Switch is a massive bomb (doesn't seem to be), I think the 3DS has 12 months (18 max) before Nintendo pulls all support. I'm guessing Holiday '18 would be the latest they will release anything.

3DS can survive on being cheap and having a very big second hand market.There is a market for cheap handhelds. 3DS started to sell only after a rude price cut. so, yes, there is a place for a cheap handheld. And switch can not fit that place right now.

Still, it is already six years, time for replacement. Switch mini could be a solution.

How so?

3DS: Smaller, cheaper games that are designed specifically to be 100% portable. Budget console for kids or people who don't want to spend the money on the Switch.

Switch: Large, console like experiences that just happen to be portable. Expensive console, expensive games, and overall is a heavier experience.

___neither_can_live_while_the_other_survives____by_stjackson-d7ccu7y.jpg

it's a joke (reference)

I suppose they could, but that would go against the whole reason Nintendo developed and released the Switch. They need to consolidate their development efforts. If the Switch continues to be popular throughout the rest of this year then the 3DS is done in 2018.

NolbertoS

I had no idea everyone hated the 3DS so much.

I've had a Switch since March 3rd and I can't see why the 3DS needs to go. Please elaborate.

I don't hate the 3DS, but when you can play 720p, no 3-D gimmick and character models don't look like blocks anymore, and the true console experience on the go, people want the 3DS to go the way of the dodo sooner rathet than later. The only thing I'll miss from the 3DS is the dual screen. Thought that was a great innvoation. If Nintendo can wver create a clamshell Switch tablet, I think they'd get more casual on board (not that they need it as the Switch now is selling like hotcakes).

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
3DS has a huge install base and they're still selling a ton of games in JP. Even though it looks like Nintendo themselves will back off JP publishers see the money on the table. Switch is still an unproven commodity even though it's seemingly off to a nice start.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't hate the 3DS, but when you can play 720p, no 3-D gimmick and character models don't look like blocks anymore, and the true console experience on the go, people want the 3DS to go the way of the dodo sooner rathet than later. The only thing I'll miss from the 3DS is the dual screen. Thought that was a great innvoation. If Nintendo can wver create a clamshell Switch tablet, I think they'd get more casual on board (not that they need it as the Switch now is selling like hotcakes).

720p doesn't really mean anything when the system is the size of an iPhone Plus and is more fragile than a Faberge egg.

The Switch is a nice system to bring around the house for Off-TV play, but I don't think I'd ever consider bringing it out with me. When I bring a portable game system with me I want to be able to discretely slip it into my pocket like a cell phone so it's not overly conspicuous. The thought of having to carry a briefcase or backpack into places that I wouldn't have had to previously just to play some videogames seems really ass-backwards to me.

Platy

I love my 3ds in the same way I love my GBA, but it is time for the 3ds to go. Nintendo need every dev focusing on giving the Switch the biggest amount of 3rd party games and the 3ds is where they are

Shikoba

Could they? Yes. Do I want them to? No. I love my 3DS, but I want a great library of games for switch like the 3DS has, so I am all for devs moving to switch.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I loved my 3DS. I lined up for one at launch (it was a line of one, actually ) and even I am ready to forget about it. Hope they go all in on Switch sooner rather than later.

Vitacat

My beautiful dual IPS white New 3DS is sitting here right next to my Switch, and they both seem ok with it. Not a peep from either one.

But seriously, I don't see a problem. There are millions of 3DS owners, so of course there will still be new games for it, probably for another year or two I think.

Personally, the 3DS and Switch are really pretty different. My small New 3DS is truly pocketable. The Switch is portable, but it's not pocketable like the 3DS (not referring to XL models which are obviously not much smaller than the Switch tablet).

NolbertoS

720p doesn't really mean anything when the system is the size of an iPhone Plus and is more fragile than a Faberge egg.

The Switch is a nice system to bring around the house for Off-TV play, but I don't think I'd ever consider bringing it out with me. When I bring a portable game system with me I want to be able to discretely slip it into my pocket like a cell phone so it's not overly conspicuous. The thought of having to carry a briefcase or backpack into places that I wouldn't have had to previously just to play some videogames seems really ass-backwards to me.

One of the reasons that I played more portable games was because I commute 4 hours per day to work, so I played my 3DS on the train here, at home I got no time for games as family, personal time and other things take up most of my time. I will be take my Swtich everywhere soon, just waiting for Switch 2.0 to get released on Black Friday, as I never buy launch consoles. The 3DS deserves its swansong someday. I may buy last exclusive 3DS XL for nostalgia, but I'm aboard the Switch hype train :)

ryushe

I don't hate the 3DS. On the contrary (I actually own 3 3DS' and a 2DS). It's just the Switch fits so well with my current lifestyle, I just want every Nintendo game on it.

Not only that, after seeing how gorgeous Zelda looks in my hands makes going back to the 3DS' screen prettttttty hard. And to be honest, I've felt like this with the Vita after I use it for an extended period of time.

RootCause

I wasn't aware a game's quality was determined by the screen resolution at which its being displayed.
He didn't say that.

On my end, yes, it can impact the quality of the game. Go play Xenoblade on the 3ds, the characters on screen are indiscernible. That does harm the experience. I think it depends on the type of game, and the camera perspective.

One thing is certain, having a higher resolution isn't going to make the experience less enjoyable.

Buggy Loop

Yes. I fell like the Switch is far too easy to damage for kids to lug about in school bags, especially without the clam shell design. I might just be thinking like a parent but with 5 kids this idea frightens me that the Switch could be the new 3DS.

MY GOD!

Kids manipulate 900$ apple tablets nowadays... i think we make them dumber than they really are.

Playing Blaster Master Zero on 3DS, where they removed the bottom screen map (thanks Switch!), got me thinking that it's gonna be a pain to go back to single-screen for Metroid-likes.

I wasn't aware a game's quality was determined by the screen resolution at which its being displayed.
It's a detriment to the overall enjoyment of a game. The screen is horrible and it's only made more apparent after using a Switch (Or any phone with high resolution like 1440p displays).

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Why is this being discussed still? Switch is not fully portable, has limited battery life and nowhere near the 65m install base of 3DS.

3DS isn't going anywhere, and it shouldn't.

The Dude

that makes sense.
if you own a switch you are not the target demo for the 3ds anymore.

I have my 3ds still, but I want everything on switch... It's just that much better

Or at least 3ds and switch versions to cover both grounds for those without a switch.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
As someone owns both, absolutely not. 3DS has had its time in the spotlight, it's time to retire it.

What's the point of consolidating all your development studios under one pipeline if they're still gonna be producing games for two different systems.

For every game they release on 3DS, it will give people one less reason to purchase a Switch and that's the last thing Nintendo needs.

CHC

I just bought a 3DS for the first time ever a couple weeks ago and even coming from that angle.... I hope they just focus on Switch. The 3DS has an enormous and impressive library, and I worry that if they keep splitting their attention we're just going to have another Wii U situation (though Switch does seem off to a better start).

I can't really see much more first party support for 3DS after 2017. I think it will keep getting niche titles for 2-3 more years, but Nintendo has shown they really only have the bandwidth to focus majorly on one system at a time.

The Dude

As someone owns both, absolutely not. 3DS has had its time in the spotlight, it's time to retire it.

What's the point of consolidating all your development studios under one pipeline if they're still gonna be producing games for two different systems.

For every game they release on 3DS, it will give people one less reason to purchase a Switch and that's the last thing Nintendo needs.

Exactly, there just comes a time when you gotta move on. The switch will be what the 3ds is hopefully, that's what I want , Nintendo wants etc... That's why I bought it so that we can see those glorious jrpgs start hitting switch.

3ds was amazing but it's time to... Switch

If I bought a Switch, I'd be pissed to see new AAA 3DS games. Nintendo basically sold the thing as a unification of their production pipeline. That's a bulletpoint reason to buy the thing in my book.

jblank83

I loudly proclaimed 3DS as one of the best systems ever for years. I still love it. I'll be playing my 3DS for years to come. However it is at the end of its lifecycle, has been on the market well over 6 years, and was weak hardware even when released.

Anyone who thinks it has a significant retail future after 2017 must be blissfully unaware of the lifecycle of literally every single gaming system ever released in 40 years of gaming systems. Not only will Nintendo move on, they must move on from 3DS's ancient tech, which is holding back their development teams.

Outside a couple of significant releases here and there, maybe a Pokemon or whatever, the future is Switch.

Switch has so few games that if 3DS is coexisting, Switch should be getting a port of every game released on 3DS as well. No reason for Nintendo to ignore their new system to make games for their ancient handheld.

Thinking on it more though. The Switch, if it is a 3DS replacement, is not a good one. Much more expensive, isn't nearly as portable as a 3DS, much shorter battery life to the point you'd have to get accessories to make it last for a road trip or a flight. That sounds like two different things. I don't think Nintendo can kill of the 3DS the way things stand now.

I love my Switch and haven't touched my 3DS since X and Y, so i hope we get enough great games that I happily buy an extra battery, charger, carrying case, etc. so I can make the thing portable. But I'm not most people. And 2DS and 3DS owners wouldn't accept the Switch as a replacement, because it is not a good one.

I still want them to focus on the Switch, but that seems unlikely. I think the best case scenario is all first party studios developing for Switch with 3DS ports. (Not best case for 3DS owners, but best case for people who want Switch to be the focus.)

lt519

Sold my 3DS yesterday. Vita as well too. Switch is replacing them in the handheld space for me. I might miss out on a game or two, but looking at the Switch indie line-up, I'll be fine.

Neff

Yes, they can, but it'll obviously be a finite relationship. But I think it could be a good thing. The prospect of Nintendo putting all their developmental efforts into one platform and one platform alone is an exciting one.

Like others have said, they can but they shouldn't. I want Nintendo to all but drop support for the 3DS by the end of the year. I own a 3DS and it's been a great handheld but there's no point in further supporting it at this point when it's had a good lifespan and the Switch is simply better.

The last thing Nintendo needs is parents being more willing to buy their kids a 3DS but not a Switch. The 3DS has a great library and it's cheap to boot. The Switch has neither so Nintendo needs to convince people as soon as possible that the 3DS is dead and the Switch is the console/handheld you'll need to own if you want to play the new Nintendo titles.

The Dude

The only thing that will keep me clinging to my 3ds is the collection of Dragon Quest games. Do you guys see any of these getting switch ports? I mean it sort of sucks we got dq8 on 3ds which is awesome but man, having my switch now I'm so bummed all of them are on 3ds

The Dude

This. Once it enters the range where it makes sense to buy for your kid, the 3ds is today. Unless Etrian Odyssey makes a huge comeback.

Eh, if I had a kid I don't think 299 is that bad. I'd buy one for them since it covered both console and Handheld aspects. But that's just me

galvatron

They kind of have to until switch can reach anywhere near a comparable number of units sold. I'd guess it'll be 3 years before they actually say anything about phasing out the 3DS. We might have a new switch "pro" upgrade by that time...

ffdgh

Sure but I'd prefer if they didn't for too long. The switch needs all the love and attention now and it's not like the 3ds hasn't had plenty of that during it life during the wii u years.
KuGsj.gif

The Dude

They kind of have to until switch can reach anywhere near a comparable number of units sold. I'd guess it'll be 3 years before they actually say anything about phasing out the 3DS. We might have a new switch "pro" upgrade by that time...

The only way to get those people are games. The games need to start, Pronto.

Top Bottom