• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we please talk about that horrid font used in the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy?

Toparaman

Banned
Both look pretty generic and bad to me (basically both look like they belong in a children's birthday party, but one is 90s and the other is 00s). I agree that they should've just used the original typeface for purity though.

Zelda typeface is striking and iconic, so that's a whole other story.

None the less I want to give OP props for making an intriguing and informative post

Burbeting

Banned
The original font was great, better than the new one.

But I also don't give a shit about the fonts in these games, they are mostly text free anyway.

Dinjooh

I've been thinking the exact same thing and I just shrugged it off as a designer thing.

But yea, it looks cheap and they should've totally gone for a refresh of the original instead.

OP is right

CCZoinks and family are going to be the new comic sans in a few years. I see it at least every other day at various places. It's ugly and looks cheap. I believe it was used in the Sly Cooper games, too.

Neith

Banned
This is the main problem with this remaster. Nailed it.

There is no main problem with the remaster. There crazy people that insist a remake should be about them and their exact tastes.

In most sane heads the remake is amazing, and a great nod to the old with a bit of the new.

Not one of the crazy graphic whores including myself cares about any of what is being said in this thread.

Hell, I even nudged the guy that did the DKCR texture pack for Dolphin to redo his font a bit to match the game a bit more, and I still don't find a problem with this game lol.

Also, that comparison bonus shot looks legit terrible. I am so glad they did not go with that lol. Some things are just better left up to people making the game. No problems here.

Golnei

BOTW is actually an example where I think sticking to tradition in the English version hurt the overall look - the way the Japanese version reinterpreted the NES title typeface gave everything a handwritten, natural look; while the use of 'the Zelda font' in English lost those connotations and overall felt like a kind of forced fit. I'd much rather they'd gone with something new there which better complemented the game's presentation and atmosphere, while still retaining the traditional font for the logo.

Top Bottom