• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom files trademark for "Monster Hunter: World" in U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawnton

What I hate about that rumor is the logistics of Sony's exclusivity. Why would Sony buy exclusive rights to MonHun5 and then dictate that it is westernized and changed from the formula that Japanese gamers love when it is in JAPAN where Sony needs to start doing better. PS4 is doing great in the west. Why would they pay for MonHun 5 and stab Japanese gamers in the back when they're flailing in Japan?

KingBroly

Banned
Real fans wait to see how the game plays before they decide if they care or not. :eek:

Considering how bad SF5 did and how underwhelming MVC:I is looking to be, I have grave concerns about an "open world" Monster Hunter game that "westernizes" the combat. Everything in MH is built on top of one another. Taking portions of that away probably isn't a good idea.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
To be honest some of the people recoiling to changes in MH, that are reasonable, remind me of people that wanted to keep tank controls in Resident Evil.

GeoramA

Well here's the first major Sony conference leak.

Really interested to see how Capcom is going to sell this to the western audience. Probably won't even look like a MH game.

Kouriozan

I don't get the hate for spin-offs, Persona is a SMT spin-off and they are really good.
Just wait and see how it'll play, I get the feeling World will surprise many.

Yeah seriously. And they're gonna be staring down the barrel of Horizon too. It's gonna be tough to top that.

Yeah I know they aren't exactly the same, but everyone knows gamers will compare the two.

It's bound to happen but to a lesser extent than say Zelda since this will be coming out long after Horizon. Unless Horizon's DLC hits around the same time in which case I'll laugh real hard.

pgharavi

Banned
Apologies for the ignorance, but why is a Monster Hunter game being on PS4 so MEGATON?

Things I think I know include:

* MH is a very popular series in Japan;
* Most recently on 3DS;
* But I have a MH game on my VITA that was free on PSN+ (I know it's a PSP game);

I think I'm confused as to what I am confused about, lol.

Is the controversy based on the possibility of the next MH game being PS4 only? And the Switch is getting a 3DS port, which is a diff game?

Thanks.

Neonep

I have some concerns when it comes to Capcom's recent console outings. SFV came out half-baked and MvCi has me skeptical especially given the leaked roster and how visually boring it looks compared to MVC3. RE7 was great though so I'm 50/50 on whether this will even turn out good at all.

Shit I think MVC:I is half baked also, hopefully it looks cleaned up in the newest build at E3 which will damn near be the final build given the game comes out so soon. RE7 turned out the best because they took the most time with it. I'm just curious as to who is developing this game if is truly indeed a PS4 MH.

dtm808

Yeah. The iffy part of the rumor was Capcom attaching mainline title to the Westernized MH.
Semi-rebooting the franchise with MH:World and keeping the mainline on Switch (or 3ds) seems like perfect business strategy.

Why keep World off Switch though? I'm sure core MH fans would be interested in it (including myself)

Salaadin

Hmmm. I'm feeling like this has to be the PS4 Monster Hunter. I don't like the way the rumors make it sound but I'll give it the benefit of a doubt. Looking forward to seeing it.

Sandfox

Considering how bad SF5 did and how underwhelming MVC:I is looking to be, I have grave concerns about an "open world" Monster Hunter game that "westernizes" the combat. Everything in MH is built on top of one another. Taking portions of that away probably isn't a good idea.
It really feels like modern Capcom doesn't have the budget or talent to keep up anymore.

MH is like the only series that hasn't been affected and this game is rumored to be by a different team.

Orayn

I don't think this is a spin-off but more of a soft-reboot of a franchise to appeal to the Western market.

A fork, I guess? Call it what you want, I just think that particular component of the rumor was a weird mix of fanboyism, reasonable speculation, and then some attempt to hedge their bets (heavy QTEs, MH Portable returns, etc.) to try and make it more believable. No part of it really takes insider knowledge to make, people have been proposing the idea of an alternative MH tailored to global tastes in GAF threads for quite a while.

Shit I think MVC:I is half baked also, hopefully it looks cleaned up in the newest build at E3 which will damn near be the final build given the game comes out so soon. RE7 turned out the best because they took the most time with it. I'm just curious as to who is developing this game if is truly indeed a PS4 MH.

I hope MVC does well. I'm not even super into it but I know how beloved that series is. I also love the FGC so there's that. At least we don't have to wait long to see how this MH games is gonna look if it's real.

Buckle

Ōkami;239839345 said:
It is a game and its not an MMO and its not for mobile.

Its also going to cause meltdowns, from all sides.
...is it just Monster Hunter Stories?

Goddamn it.

Eolz

I don't think this is a spin-off but more of a soft-reboot of a franchise to appeal to the Western market.

This completely goes against XX going on Switch and the classic series also being successful in the west.
It's just Capcom wanting both, just like they tried to make the IP work for kids. Aka, a spinoff.

sinonobu

Banned
If the original rumor was:
*MH5 on PS4
*Monster Hunter Portable 5th on Switch
And MH PS4 is seemingly now called MH World would that mean MH5 will be the Switch game?
The rumor always sounded like a dumb idea, but I believed it due to it being Capcom. I guess we'll see in the upcoming months

It sounded like dumb idea when 'MH5' was coming to PS4.

Now that it's called MH:Worlds and MH5 will most likely be on Switch, everything makes sense

Scrawnton

Because Sony is funding it.
The irony is the devs started to not like the product and the original "A" Mon Hun team went back to making a new Nintendo MonHun game while leaving the PS4 game to whoever the heck happens to be at capcom now. Sony would be pissed if this is true.

Neonep

I hope MVC does well. I'm not even super into it but I know how beloved that series is. At least we don't have to wait long to see how this MH games is gonna look if it's real.

Not long at all. If this is the big unannounced title then the latest it comes out is February.

I don't get the hate for spin-offs, Persona is a SMT spin-off and they are really good.
Just wait and see how it'll play, I get the feeling World will surprise many.

This is always going to happen when a beloved series is altered in some way. It's pretty ridiculous given that the tried and true Monster Hunter isn't even going to cease to exist, honestly. I want them to try something new with the series.

Delio

Ah so this is maybe the MH exclusive to Sony. Curious how the gameplay will be. Tho man if its shown monday then you have MHXX being shown the next day and it just not looking great. Feel like it may be hurting it. We will see.

The irony is the devs started to not like the product and the original "A" Mon Hun team went back to making a new Nintendo MonHun game while leaving the PS4 game to whoever the heck happens to be at capcom now. Sony would be pissed if this is true.

The 4chan leak isn't true. Because its internal logic is inconsistent.

Calm Mind

What I hate about that rumor is the logistics of Sony's exclusivity. Why would Sony buy exclusive rights to MonHun5 and then dictate that it is westernized and changed from the formula that Japanese gamers love when it is in JAPAN where Sony needs to start doing better. PS4 is doing great in the west. Why would they pay for MonHun 5 and stab Japanese gamers in the back when they're flailing in Japan?

Money has made them do stupider in things in the past.

zelas

Dont really care about MonHun speculation but Sony doesnt need japan. Especially with how that market has been making itself irrelevant even with all kinds of MonHun games.

None of the three manufactures can change what mobile continues to do in japan, so sony should continue to focus on fostering growth in markets that embrace consoles far more.

Eolz

I hope MVC does well. I'm not even super into it but I know how beloved that series is. I also love the FGC so there's that. At least we don't have to wait long to see how this MH games is gonna look if it's real.

I'm sure MvCI will do well. Capcom expects 2M for it, which is actually reasonable. Even if it doesn't appeal to some hardcore fans, it will appeal to a mainstream audience.

-MB-

Apologies for the ignorance, but why is a Monster Hunter game being on PS4 so MEGATON?

Things I think I know include:

* MH is a very popular series in Japan;
* Most recently on 3DS;
* But I have a MH game on my VITA that was free on PSN+ (I know it's a PSP game);

I think I'm confused as to what I am confused about, lol.

Is the controversy based on the possibility of the next MH game being PS4 only? And the Switch is getting a 3DS port, which is a diff game?

Thanks.

Because a certain group of gamers want schadenfreude so badly.

Because it isn't real. It is nonsense.

jackdoe

Sweet jesus at the people all of sudden taking that super sketchy 4chan rumor at face value because one portion that was the least batshit crazy may be true. I'll eat crow if the facts come out and the rumor is true, but taking unsubstantiated rumors as fact before anything is corroborated is how fake news is so widespread.

KingBroly

Banned
Capcom sure. But the logic doesn't check out for Sony. And they're way smarter than that.

Edit: ^ Ah, gotcha!

I could see Sony going to Capcom after SF5 and say 'you owe us for SF5 failing so bad.' Making the game big for Japan by making it more Western does not make one lick of sense, though

Scrawnton

Dont really care about MonHun speculation but Sony doesnt need japan. Especially with how that market has been making itself irrelevant even with all kinds of MonHun games.

None of the three manufactures can change what mobile continues to do in japan, so sony should continue to focus on fostering growth in markets that embrace consoles far more.
But then how would taking a franchise that has a small loyal fan base in the west and then bastardized the game to make it more appealing to the west make any sense at all? If this is a player for western gamers then Sony is wasting money. If it's a play for Japanese gamers then it was a horrible deal. Either way it makes zero sense.

Neonep

Yeah it's weird. Capcom making 2 MH games at the same time seems unlikely. Also who at Capcom would be working on a 2nd MH game not in the original team. Itsuno & Kobayashi both have never worked on a Capcom game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom