• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

zelas

The below quote is what Capcom said back in November of last year. It was clear then they still feel as most large publishers have felt for about 10+ years now. The type of fans who are excited for and have jumped in head first with the Switch don't care enough to support the type of western and Japanese third party offerings that have flourished on the other consoles.

Capcom did not announce which titles it specifically has in mind for Nintendo Switch adaptations, emphasizing that it will not begin the porting process until it has a firm grasp on “the desired direction and the play-style of the Nintendo Switch.” The company’s forward-looking statements anticipate a distinct difference in audience and market focus between the Nintendo Switch and current-generation consoles like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

“We do feel that there are differences in the desired direction and the play-style of the Nintendo Switch and those of the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One,” Capcom stated. “At Capcom, we determine which platform to release a title for after considering the features of both our software and the hardware in question, believing we must bring the enjoyment of our games to their maximum potential.”

The statement continues: “As a software publisher, we endeavor to develop games that offer enjoyment best suited to each piece of hardware’s features and target users. Following first party, in order to introduce our own content we are currently moving forward with internal planning and analysis as a partner company.”
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-explores-nintendo-switch-porting-possibilities/

And considering the delicate situation Capcom is in nowadays, it's wise that they take a risk averse approach with Nintendo instead of sticking their neck out for the company who isn't offering much help. And who is once again only thinking about themselves based on the overall hardware approach they've taken with the Switch.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why piss away the money for a port when Switch has yet to prove itself as a viable platform even.

If Switch manages to become a Wii-like success, you might actually see some ports. I doubt it has even a fraction of the same appeal though.

Ganondolf

Even if they were making a port (I'm not saying they are) they would not announced it just before RE7's launch. A port would be months away and the announcement could reduce sales.

Not surprising at all really. In fact this reminds me of the Wii generation; when pressed and asked about X360/PS3 ports many devs would say things like "oh Wii is a unique platform and we will be looking to bring experiences that take advantage of the Wii hardware" i.e. this hardware is hella weak and it'll get something down the line.

This will continue to happen with Nintendo consoles until the introduce a console that is on par specs wise with their competition. Honestly it doesn't bother me, I already have a PS4 and PSVR in order to experience RE7. I'll be getting the Switch to play Nintendo games only.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I really did expect ports of at least the big Japanese third party games like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy :(

Looks like Switch will be a first party / indie console.

Soi-Fong

I really did expect ports of at least the big Japanese third party games like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy :(

Looks like Switch will be a first party / indie console.

That's all people should expect out of the system. It's been the same story for the past 2 generations.

Expecting anymore out of Nintendo is an exercise that will lead to disappointment.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Switch hardware isn't shit, at all.

Matter of perspective.
Come at it from the home console angle, then yes the hardware is rather shit.
Come at it from the handheld angle, then it's actually quite good.

You can't just look at the Switch from a different viewpoint depending on when it suits the argument. It depends on what you personally want from the device.

nightside

I wouldn't call a 20nm slightly modified soc from 2015 cutting edge. Maybe for Nintendo.

I'll guess I shoud fully reserve judgement until we know for sure, but that's what the evidence seems to point at.

Well, to be honest XBO and PS4 were far from being cutting edge either.

Soi-Fong

Matter of perspective.

You can't just look at the Switch from a different viewpoint depending on when it suits the argument. It depends on what you personally want from the device.

Trying to be two things at once will either be a genius move or one that will lead to the same outcome as the Wii U.

I pre-ordered a Switch Neon with the $80 Joyce's as well, but I'm not expecting this to be anything other than a first party console from Nintendo that'll have their combined outputs from both a console and a hardware perspective.

I'm expecting jack shit from 3rd parties.

Matter of perspective.

That makes no sense, the console is portable, what "angles" could there be?

Your last paragraph actually applies to you then.

Soi-Fong

The angle that Nintendos been spitting out. That angle in which its being advertised as a home console successor to the Wii U. That angle...

This isn't a portable. It's a hybrid.

Hoo-doo

Banned

No, this is a hybrid system, so it tries to appeal to both console and handheld gamers at once.
People interested in a traditional console experience get a console that's substantially underpowered compared to today's standards.
People interested in a handheld experience get a handheld that's actually kind of decent power-wise.

The portability aspect is not some universal plus or value add, and i'd wager a lot of people would sacrifice the portability in the blink of an eye if it meant a more beefy home console experience.
If you're mainly looking for Switch to play Nintendo games on your TV at home then I could understand people calling the hardware rather shit. That's all i'm saying.

ViolentP

I was hoping Nintendo would turn themselves around with the Switch. But it seems at every turn, they further build on mistakes from the past, or simply create new ones.

Matter of perspective.

Quite good?

At that price and that graphical fidelity it is more than "quite good" it is fucking phenomenal.

BigEmil

no one wants to bother with shit hardware

nintendo always stuck between two generations
Since the game is already 60fps on all platforms it would be easy to put on Switch just turn it down to 30fps, the visuals been optimised to run at 60 so less demanding etc

jmizzal

" no plans at the moment regarding Resident Evil on Switch."

Why do people expect them to announce games to random interviewers?

Majmun

This is not really a surprise. Don't think Switch is going the get many PS4/X1 multiplatform games. Don't even know why 3rd parties should try.

The PS4/X1 userbase is big enough and people usually buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.

Ryuuga

Banned
Since the game is already 60fps on all platforms it would be easy to put on Switch just turn it down to 30fps, the visuals been optimised to run at 60 so less demanding etc

I'd argue they could just make compromises like they did in VR mode and retain a 60. It'd look pants, but that's expected.

I buy Nintendo handhelds for 3rd party games. That everything points towards WiiU2.0 for this supposed hybrid is actually quite confusing.

Nah, man. Switch will be fine. A lot of the third parties from 3DS are just transitioning. They will appear heavily in the second year of the system and beyond.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Quite good?

At that price and that graphical fidelity it is more than "quite good" it is fucking phenomenal.

Looking at it from a handheld angle here:
The price is actually crazy high compared to the prices of past Nintendo handhelds. The 3DS tanked at 250 and only took off once it got a massive pricecut.

And whether the handheld graphics are 'phenomenal', that's rather subjective. I don't think everyone will unanimously agree with you there either.

This is not really a surprise. Don't think Switch is going the get many PS4/X1 multiplatform games. Don't even know why 3rd parties should try.

The PS4/X1 userbase is big enough and people usually buy a Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.
All true.

bidguy

Banned
The only shit I see is your shitposting.

the truth hurts doesnt it ?

take off your blinders and look around. switch is considerably weaker than fucking xbone. mattricks tv machine. that should tell you everything.

why should devs bother downporting games that already struggle with xbone/ps4 ? whats re7 gonna look like on switch ?

The things people say when someone talks bad about their favorite piece of plastic.

Oh, please. Just like with the console warrior shit here:

no one wants to bother with shit hardware

nintendo always stuck between two generations

the truth hurts doesnt it ?

take off your blinders and look around. switch is considerably weaker than fucking xbone. mattricks tv machine. that should tell you everything.

why should devs bother downporting games that already struggle with xbone/ps4 ? whats re7 gonna look like on switch ?

Not surprising. Even if multi-plat games start being made for Switch, Switch is still going to get the games months (at least) after all other platforms. Sucks because I would totally take a visual downgrade on a lot of games if it meant having those big titles on a portable device.

Top Bottom