• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

True, but RE7 doesn't seem like the kind of game to play while communting. RPGs seem like perfect genre for mobile gaming.

3DS had Revelations and if the Switch sells millions of hardware in japan i can see resident evil ports or a "exclusive" (Capcom doesn't even know what that word means). I don't need R7 in a year though, just talking about possibilities. Also not every switch owner coming from 3ds or Wii U (or smartphone to play the next Pokemon on Switch) owns a PS4 or gives graphics that much thought if the game looks good enough on Switch. I believe that there will be a market in the future.

AdanVC

Fuck :(

Ah I think it's time to just accept the fact that Switch will be another 1st party + Indies console and that those 3rd Party games coming such as Skyrim and FIFA are nothing but huge exceptions you usually see on new hardware arrivals.

And to think I was expecting to see RE7 and FFXV on Switch's launch day... LOL
:'(

Vena

Some good news on the 3rd party front for Switch wouldn't go amiss

Well, its a thread on the first page as well.

Its just that in that thread its hard for people to express their "concern" and high-brow pettiness over "tech".

I happen to be a PlayStation fan too, I'm just sick & tired of Nintendo getting shut out.

I don't want to hear that salty shit.
Nintendo isn't being shut out, they're shutting themselves in. They're basically the bike fall meme guy.

3rd party devs aren't punishing Nintendo, they just can't make money on a Nintendo console with their releases.

You sound pretty salty for someone who isn't salty.

GrayChild

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Resident Evil 7 for any system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcpom has alienated an entire market.

Capcom, publicly apologize and bring Resident Evil 7 to Switch or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Neptonic

2401140-0662380509-Untid.gif

Wait a minute I have a theory... the amount of consoles sold is inversely related to how bad your port of RE4 is.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I happen to be a PlayStation fan too, I'm just sick & tired of Nintendo getting shut out.

I don't want to hear that "you're salty" shit.

Then maybe Nintendo should start making their platform look like an appealing business proposition. Third parties don't pass up Nintendo because they're being mean or trying to bully them. They do it because Nintendo doesn't give them any reason to stick around. This has been going on at varying degrees for 20 years now.

Fuck :(

Ah I think it's time to just accept the fact that Switch will be another 1st party + Indies

+ japanese support. You can't expect that japanese publishers announce every game before launch. SE is already on board with 5 games and there will be more. The 3DS will slow down and 2018 we will see the transition to switch.

Well, its a thread on the first page as well.

Its just that in that thread its hard for people to express their "concern" and high-brow pettiness over "tech".
I don't understand how people can carry this attitude about the Switch

We saw how the Wii U turned out, people hoped things would change for the Switch. We're now past the rumor stage and right now you can get a solid feel for how the system will be supported in the foreseeable future. Still, people are convinced that everything is coming to the Switch and everything is fine.

It's by no means "doom and gloom" but it's also not some perfect world turnaround where everything is now fine

I'd argue the only reason Switch is even getting Skyrim is because Nintendo themselves is in love with it (being a huge influence on the new Zelda and all)

Nintendo fans been saying shit like this since N64, lol.

"Meh, game X is prolly shit anyway, Sony can keep it."

It used to be funny, now its just sad and hypocritical, since in every "what should a new Nintendo console have?" thread all over the web, the number one thing I see asked for is "more third party support" with "graphics parity with Sony/MS" a close second.

Not surprising. No reasonable person expected a game that was developed for years on current gen hardware to magically appear on Switch, so lack of RE7 is not a big deal at all.

I definitely want to see Resident Evil on Switch in some form, though. New material will be especially great, but even ports of older RE games will be OK for me. I'm a pretty big fan.

Vena

We saw how the Wii U turned out, people hoped things would change for the Switch. We're now past the rumor stage and right now you can get a solid feel for how the system will be supported in the foreseeable future. Still, people are convinced that everything is coming to the Switch and everything is fine.

I don't remember saying this or even insinuating it. I exist in the reality in which I realize that the Switch is a product with its problems and divergent paths from current console space. It will obviously not have every game (largely because of Nintendo's past struggles with parties and genre appeal for its audience pool) and there will be tech-sensitive concerns that will make some titles logical impossibilities.

Here we are in a thread with one developer saying that game X isn't planned for the Switch. A few threads down or up, we have a thread about a developer saying they have XYZ games planned for the Switch. One thread is filled with "weak hardware, lulz, here we go again" and the other thread is "cool" and people moving on. Some people are just worried that the Switch may just do well for itself and they really need to reinforce their conclusions with echoes.

I don't even think RE7 would be tech limited, it'd be downgraded but I don't see much reason why this game wouldn't be able to run on the Switch dock at ~720p. This is very much an audience issue (and timing, the game comes out months before the Switch) rather than a tech one.

I'd argue the only reason Switch is even getting Skyrim is because Nintendo themselves is in love with it (being a huge influence on the new Zelda and all)

What does such a argument even contribute as a point of discussion? This is like some conspiracy level nonsense rather than just saying: "Skyrim is a popular RPG, easily recognizable, and will have audience interest and overlap from the now open-world Zelda."

Then maybe Nintendo should start making their platform look like an appealing business proposition. Third parties don't pass up Nintendo because they're being mean or trying to bully them. They do it because Nintendo doesn't give them any reason to stick around. This has been going on at varying degrees for 20 years now.

More like 3rd party publishers just needs to stop playing favorites.

They had no problem developing games for both PS2 & PS3, & they weren't developer friendly. What's their excuse?

ZoddGutts

Nintendo bought the Fatal Frame franchise.

Forgot where it was cleared up but that isn't true, the IP still belongs to Koei Tecmo not Nintendo, Nintendo only "owns" the published versions that came to the system because those versions were paid by Nintendo to be developed. Note that the previous Fatal Frame games still came to PSN a few years back.

It's by no means "doom and gloom" but it's also not some perfect world turnaround where everything is now fine

I see good japanese support and good indy support, the western pubs are waiting for sales, which i expected. I think it's a good start for a nintendo hybrid and we know that pokemon is coming and will do great things for japanese support. When the 3ds dies of publishers will have their bigger projects ready.

I don't remember saying this or even insinuating it. I exist in the reality in which I realize that the Switch is a product with its problems and divergent paths from current console space. It will obviously not have every game (largely because of Nintendo's past struggles with parties and genre appeal for its audience pool) and there will be tech-sensitive concerns that will make some titles logical impossibilities.

Here we are in a thread with one developer saying that game X isn't planned for the Switch. A few threads down or up, we have a thread about a developer saying they have XYZ games planned for the Switch. One thread is filled with "weak hardware, lulz, here we go again" and the other thread is "cool" and people moving on. Some people are just worried that the Switch may just do well for itself and they really need to reinforce their conclusions with echoes.

I don't even think RE7 would be tech limited, it'd be downgraded but I don't see much reason why this game wouldn't be able to run on the Switch dock at ~720p. This is very much an audience issue (and timing, the game comes out months before the Switch) rather than a tech one.

What does such a argument even contribute as a point of discussion? This is like some conspiracy level nonsense rather than just saying: "Skyrim is a popular RPG, easily recognizable, and will have audience interest and overlap from the now open-world Zelda."
I'm responding to the attitude that "no plans" means anything besides "no plans". Whether it's about RE7 or anything else. I sympathize with being annoyed at people shitting on the lack of power compared to PS4/XB1, but it's just another thing to add to the list of reasons why devs would be hesitant to port games over (or just plan for it to begin with)

I mentioned Skyrim because it's the only big 3rd party next gen port coming besides like Xenoverse 2 (which 3DS was getting DBZ games so it makes sense if the hardware can run it). Skyrim had some work done to it to bring it forward but it's still a game from 2011 as a base. Fifa is apparently based off of last gen versions. We'll have to see how Steep turns out as well

They had no problem developing games for both PS2 & PS3, & they weren't developer friendly. What's their excuse?

Nintendo should start making hardware that makes it easy for devs. Sony went out of their way to make the PS4 easy to develop for. Nintendo is requiring games that need downgrades and need to run in two different modes for minimUm sales.

Hoo-doo

Banned

'Playing favorites'.

Come on son. It's business.
Switch is an unproven platform and Nintendo consoles have a userbase that's historically unfavorable towards third party games.
Couple that with their last console being a complete clunker and third parties are invariably going to take a wait and see approach. And rightfully so.

This has jack shit to do with what people feel about Nintendo. This is about return on their investment, and Switch isn't yet giving great signals that they will profit off making a port of their games.

ZoddGutts

It's going to be interesting to see how DQXI looks comparable to the PS4 version, assuming it's not a port of the 3DS version. Don't really see high graphical games like FFXV ever coming to the Switch.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Nintendo should start making hardware that makes it easy for devs. Sony went out of their way to make the PS4 easy to develop for. Nintendo is requiring games that need downgrades and need to run in two different modes for minimUm sales.
Nah man, they're just playing favorites. Lmao

$

Their games sold on those consoles. A lot.

Game development does not take place on a playground, it's a business.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Resident Evil 7 for any system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcpom has alienated an entire market.

Capcom, publicly apologize and bring Resident Evil 7 to Switch or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Beautiful. This never gets old as it can apply to anything,

PS2 we know why. PS3 we know why.

Its like how apps left n right are no longer getting updated or being pulled from Win Mo/WP.

At the end of the day they are a business.

Its never one thing when it comes to these types of things. Being easier to develop for would help tho. Like how for a while and maybe still today devs made more money with iOS than Android. But it wasnt so strict in Android land vs iOS. With Nintendo you have to look at the entire picture.

All it will take is for sales to look like they will be better than the Wii U and they will be there.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Because Capcom and Nintendo have had a pretty healthy relationship for decades with integrating software onto Nintendo's boxes...

Especially mainline most RE games...
So all their games came to WiiU and Wii? The last RE game to come to a Nintendo console was a 3DS port.

If it's not Monster Hunter or Phoenix Wright, don't assume Capcom is bringing their shit to a Nintendo system.

Top Bottom